No announcement yet.

YOLO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remove the s from https, I think I saw someone post that in the last few days.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
      Unbeknownst to me my trainer saw me squatting last week, he wasn't happy with my technique at all. So I spent all last week working on depth and technique and have just gotten back to slowly doing bigger weights. I found taking videos helped a lot, here are two from today.

One set of 5 @ 110Kg, and one 140kg.

I would rather the depth was a bit lower, but they are all parallel or below.

Feedback welcome!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I did so many squats last week the skin on my neck got quite sore towards the end, is there anything you can do about this? Grin and bare it? God knows how lurkers neck is.

Edit: I also can't remember how to embed youtube clips, I thought it was automatic

Comment

Originally posted by dobman88 View Post
        Remove the s from https, I think I saw someone post that in the last few days.
        Cheers mate, I actually read that post

Comment

I did so many squats last week the skin on my neck got quite sore towards the end, is there anything you can do about this? Grin and bare it? God knows how lurkers neck is.
          Have you tried using a foam pad? Haven't used one myself yet, I'm guessing they'd make technique a little more difficult but would definitely be easier on the skin.
          Profit before people.

Comment

I would rather the depth was a bit lower, but they are all parallel or below.

Feedback welcome!

Depth is good throughout. There's room to get deeper down the line, but it's not anything I'd be worried about.

Adjusting your hands could help. You don't need to grip the bar like a bench press just hold it against your shoulders. It might seem unnatural, but try it with your thumb on the same side of the bar as your palms. It'll put your arms and shoulders into a better position, and might help with neck irritation.

Also, watch your knees don't collapse inwards, they didn't there but was a small shudder inwards something to watch.
            Try actively pushing knees out wards at the bottom and on the way up.

Comment

Plus side: Depth is great and technique is solid (you're not a danger to yourself!). You have a great deal of room for progress. That 140 was very strong.

Negative: You've got a number of little habits that you could correct. You seem very soft under the bar. You tap the bar before you squat. Grip the bar from the outset and try to break it over your back. Never open your palm. Imagine you're clinging the bar for your life.

Next, you take way too many steps in your set up. I do this too but usually only take four. Looks like you are constantly readjusting your leg position before you descend. Practice this after you squat with a lighter weight on the bar. Just unrack, walk it out to your squatting stance and walk it back in. Don't even squat. Burn the steps into your brain.

It worries me when you say your neck hurts. Try moving the bar a bit lower. I get the sense the bar is just sitting there on top of your back and you're using your hands to balance it rather than to take control of it if that makes sense.

In answer to what i looked like after squatting so much. Here's a pic in my log from the last cycle.

It shows the stark contrast in our bar positioning if nothing else! This is not necessarily a bad thing though as high bar has its advantages.

Key point is you have a decent squat but plenty of ways you can improve to make it better.

Feel free to drop in to Ballymun Leisure Centre and train with me at some stage if you think that would be beneficial. Love talking about this stuff!

Comment

Thanks a lot for the advice guys, I really appreciate it.

I'm aware of the step issue, Lloyd mentioned it before. I made a big effort today to just take two steps back and that seemed fine. I also made an effort to not adjust my feet. To be honest this is me getting myself mentally ready to squat rather than really needing to adjust my feet, so I'll cut it out.

You are right about the bar position, I can open my palm because the bar is just sitting on my back (I could probably take my hands off the bar if I wanted). I tried moving the bar a little bit down but it felt ridiculous. I'll try lower positions with a very low weight and see how I get on.

I will definitely take you up on your offer sometime soon if it suits you.

Comment

This week I'm finishing a 6 week conditioning & technique course with my trainer, we did a lot of work on stretching and technique, my squat more solid than it was. I haven't lifted anything heavy for a while, next week it will be back to the heavy weights

Comment

This week I'm finishing a 6 week conditioning & technique course with my trainer, we did a lot of work on stretching and technique, my squat more solid than it was. I haven't lifted anything heavy for a while, next week it will be back to the heavy weights
                    Nailing technique plus mobility could see solid numbers from your squat.
                    Goodlyckwoth it and kept us posted

Comment

I'll be training on my own for the next 6 weeks. Going to concentrate on three things, squatting, military press & running. Here's the goals

Squat - 160kg to below parallel
                      Military Press - 50kg
                      5km run - Sub 22 mins.

Haven't ran in a very long time, hence the unambitious running target.

Week 1 Day 1

Squat
                      Bar * 10
                      70kg * 8
                      100kg * 5
                      110kg * 3
                      130kg * 1
                      140kg * 1 * 1 * 1

Wide Arm Pull ups 4, 3, 2

Comment

Week 1 Day 2

Military Press
                        Bar * 10
                        40kg * 3
                        42.5kg * 2
                        45kg * 2
                        47.5kg * 2
                        Almost fainted here so took it very easy for the rest of the session

Bench Press
                        47.5kg * 5, * 6, * 7, * 8, * 10

Squat
                        55kg * 20

Still feel light headed

Comment

Took a week off due to insomnia, a cold and lethargy. Back on track now

Week 2 Day 1

5 sets
                          10 low extension bicep curls
                          10 high extension bicep curls
                          10 40kg Squats

10 Sets
                          10 40kg Squats
                          10 Press ups

Week 2 Day 2

5 Sets
                          10 70kg Squat
                          5 Pull ups

Holiday coming up soon so I need to push on quickly with the squats if I'm going to make my goal.

Comment

Slept better last night than I have for weeks.

Week 2 day 3

Squats 100kg 5*5

Comment

Week 3 day 1

Bench press 60kg 5 * 5

Squat 60kg * 10
                              100kg *3
                              120kg * 2
                              130kg * 1
                              140kg * 1, 1

Comment

Week 3 day 2

Sitting down shoulder press
                                40kg 8 * 5

Squat
                                60kg * 10
                                100kg * 3
                                120kg * 1
                                130kg * 1
                                140kg * 1

5 sets of
                                10 30kg KB squats
                                10 press ups

Comment

Week 3 day 3

Squat 70kg * 10
                                  120kg 5 * 2

Pull ups 3*5

Comment

Week 4 Day 1

Heavy weekend of drinking, poker and not much sleep. 120kg felt very heavy indeed.

Squats
                                    Bar * 15
                                    70kg * 5
                                    100kg *3
                                    120kg 3 *3

Pull ups 3*5

Comment

Working...
                                    X