Getting 2/1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting 2/1

Not sure if this is right place for it, but I suppose it is theory in a way.

I keep hearing players/commentators/etc saying "I was getting 2/1 so I had to call" or something similar.

Surely 2/1 though is fairly normal and shouldn't be considered as a reason to call a bet. Obv if you give a person a range and you think you are better than 2/1 to one its a must but I think too many people use it as an excuse to get their chips in bad.

Unless someone over bets a pot aren't we guaranteed 2/1 or better?

Am i missing something here? it just annoys me when I hear "pros" talking about it as if its the be all and end all.

Thoughts??

Originally posted by careca View Post
    Unless someone over bets a pot aren't we guaranteed 2/1 or better?
    Maybe in cash, but in tournaments getting <2/1 is fairly standard.
    Like I open 2.75 BB from MP, button 3bet pushes 16 BB.
    Costs me 13BB to win 20BB (approx) so less than 2/1.

Maintaining a big enough stack that you can push over loose openraises and only give them 6/4 is an underated inflexion point.

Comment

People underrate getting odds on a call. If you only have to be good 25-33% of the time, that helps a hell of a lot.
      Foldaramus et foldarabimus

Comment

People talk about it because it makes sense preflop because it's hard to have so little equity against a range preflop that you should fold getting 2:1.

Comment

a mistake a lot of amateurs make in tourneys is folding because they "know they are behind", very often, although behind, your well priced in vs someones range.
          for example, u raise with KQ, a shortish stack goes all in, hes fairly tight, u know kq is not ahead, but if u are getting 2/1, this is a must call, as if u believe his range includes pairs 77+, AJ+ any element of suited conn, u are getting your equity against their range.

watch a lot of top mtt'ers and you will see them have to get it in a lot with hands like this, when priced in, especially when antes are signif.

Comment

Yup, like Rob said, once the antes come into it there's a lot more money in the middle of the table, which means you're always getting a better return for your investment.

You can't always fold out knowing you're behind - you need to weigh up risk vs reward at any given moment in a poker game. If you fold out the worst hands pre-flop then you'll never win. Waiting for AA and KK on a final table is a mugs game, and a losing strategy.

There are some nice MTT videos on Pokerswat outlining final table strategies. Andy McLeod did them I think.
            Last edited by lee_arama; 26-01-10, 17:16.
            Hey buddy, did ya get that thing I sent ya?

Comment

Working...
            X