Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oleras View Post
    James Mccleans favourite flower

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
      The poppy is another form of memorialisation, and one that has deviated considerably in recent years from its original intent. To the point that if I wanted to memorialise the fallen of WW1, I probably wouldn't wear a poppy for damn sure.

I think if Leo had said '30/40' years ago he would have been spot on. The maturing of historical memory on the island since the Troubles ended has been one of the greatest features of our increasing confidence as a modern nation.

I mean this in a good way (you young bastard ) but you're too young to remember otherwise.
      There was certainly a lot of situations growing up for example where I was very aware that it would not be smart to be identified as a Protestant for example. You certainly wouldn't have those concerns now.
      I think due to end of the troubles there's a massive upsurge in a sort of benign support of SF amongst young people (say <23). I guess they've a sort of airbrushed view of history. Being pro SF/pro IRA is in. I'm sure they'll grow out of it once they get jobs.

Comment

Yeah feck off hitch I'm the emotional reacter around here . And to prove Raoul right
        You forget the BBV is very anglicized . The famine was just some rotten spuds and some bad crop management .
        The Rising had to happen and the perception of those involved to understand the symbolism of what they were trying to portray was heroic. They knew it was doomed initially but something had to be done and they sacrificed their lives to do it. A lot of the docile population were nearly beaten into submission by the fallout from the famine that to merely just struggle with poverty was seen as ‘the good life In’ comparison .
        Why are we are constantly asked to appear mature as a country when across the water the old attitudes toward the Irish raised it’s ugly head during the brexit /hard stop debates John Bull and his portly belly would agree with most of the dismissive posts about 1916 and would echo the type of post the SP made above. We voted in Divorce, we voted in Gay marriage.etcetc We have done well since 1916 and matured. (well maybe not me)

I’d say when Rosa Parks said NO on the bus it wasn’t fully supported by the white community at the time . She did what had to be done and history recognised it. And Sir Bob Geldof wherever you are FK YOU (getting my AL Pacino on there)

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
          I think due to end of the troubles there's a massive upsurge in a sort of benign support of SF amongst young people (say <23). I guess they've a sort of airbrushed view of history. Being pro SF/pro IRA is in. I'm sure they'll grow out of it once they get jobs.
          SF have been trending quite poorly electorally in recent years unless the upsurge has begun in the past couple of years and/or those championing SF simply don't vote.

Comment

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                The Rising had to happen and the perception of those involved to understand the symbolism of what they were trying to portray was heroic. They knew it was doomed initially but something had to be done and they sacrificed their lives to do it. A lot of the docile population were nearly beaten into submission by the fallout from the famine that to merely just struggle with poverty was seen as ‘the good life In’ comparison .
                Complete and utter bollocks, but don't stop trying you're on a roll between that and Wok the Wok that's twice you've made me LOL Out Loud this year
                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                    And whats the overall point you are making with these selections of facts?
                    That myth <> reality.

Unless I am still being accused of flippancy of course.
                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                      Complete and utter bollocks, but don't stop trying you're on a roll between that and Wok the Wok that's twice you've made me LOL Out Loud this year
                      Just because you were actually there at the time doesn't give you the right to an opinion. Did ya get a winner at the races that day. . The truth burns for some reason. What part was bollocks ? Give us the bull side ?

Comment

Off to Vegas next week, does anyone know if I can buy chips at the cage with debit card? Seems to be allowed the last 6 months or so but not sure its implemented.

Comment

I just got a Revolut account. If I want to send £STG to a bank in the UK is it best to upload Euro from my Irish bank account, change it Revolut, and then send the £ from there? Its a fair few quid so shitty exchange rates will work out costly.

Comment

I just got a Revolut account. If I want to send £STG to a bank in the UK is it best to upload Euro from my Irish bank account, change it Revolut, and then send the £ from there? Its a fair few quid so shitty exchange rates will work out costly.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                              Jaysis. A poster of Eoghan Murphy was put up on a pole yesterday at the exact spot where the JCB injured that homeless fella.

Fuck me the optics of that.
                              And he still claims there is beds for all rough sleepers! Truly amazing he gets away with that alone.
                              airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                And he still claims there is beds for all rough sleepers
                                There are.
                                What do you suggest he sends out police vans to round up all those who don't want to use them?
                                Might work.

The way that the "build a new council house for everyone, today" merchants have managed to conflate the housing crisis with a no more than vaguely related rough sleeping crisis is the great PR success of the age.

Comment

Never even heard of Aontú until those simpson memes.

The party has been described as conservative[2] and socially conservative,[22] while on the other hand being described as left leaning on issues such as economics, migration and climate change.
                                  Completely over the opposite quadrant.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                    yep.

Currencyfair or transferwise might be better though.

Comment

Anyone got a link to 2nd captain's Podcast on B&Ts? S'il vous plait.
                                      You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                      World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Nice feather in Stirlings cap

Profit before people.

Comment

There are.
                                          What do you suggest he sends out police vans to round up all those who don't want to use them?
                                          Might work.
                                          There aren't. I have rang many times on behalf of others and been told there's no more beds. There's a few who don't want to use them sure, but it's bullshit that's peddaled that all those who sleep rough don't want a bed. A lot do, but there isn't any
                                          airport, lol

Comment

Comment

In Helsinki in winter they round them up in vans to sleep in drunk tanks . Saves their lives .

Comment

I’d say when Rosa Parks said NO on the bus it wasn’t fully supported by the white community at the time . She did what had to be done and history recognised it. And Sir Bob Geldof wherever you are FK YOU (getting my AL Pacino on there)
                                                Just read this speaking of Rosa Parks, she wasn't the first to do such a thing, she was the purest character though, no skeletons in the closet or rough family issues hence why the lawyers pushed her case the way they did.

It's a fascinating book for anyone interested btw, i was stunned by fact that prisons are put in white rural areas giving jobs to the local poor whites, the black drug felons count as residents to the area but cannot vote, the number of political representatives in the area is proportional to number of residents. Therefore, by putting in an extra 100,000 felons who cannot vote you increase your power base massively with no risk of the voting demographics changing.

Comment

Have a ridiculously smart undergrad who got 100% in the exam I set last semester. This year I vowed to include a tiny 'her-proof' question element in the final exam. Imagine my delight when it worked, and she got 99%.
                                                  I had a moment of doubt then that she actually got something wrong so I took out a piece of paper and did the question, and indeed in my model solution I'd misread the question that I wrote and made a mistake.
                                                  On the plus side, she's already agreed to do a PhD with me. Time to sit back and bask in that reflected glory.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                    Jaysis. A poster of Eoghan Murphy was put up on a pole yesterday at the exact spot where the JCB injured that homeless fella.

Fuck me the optics of that.
                                                    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Yeah that poppy thing is woeful. Bullying people for not wearing it. Fck that.
                                                      In the US recently at an NBA game, in a very red state. They play the national anthem at the start of the game and all stand, most with chest out and hand on heart, while some guest young wan stood in center court and belted it out like it was the happiest day of her life. Looked at the wife an kids and we begrudgingly stand up, mostly out of fear of being accosted by some jar head. Young fella whispers to me "shall we take a knee".

Half time comes around and we are enjoying the shenanigans with the cheerleaders high kicking and mascot firing off the tee-shirt cannon. Then the big screens focus on this one in full desert compact gear. "Can you all rise and show you appreciation for of service person of the day, Staff Sargent Jane Bloggs". Dafuq was I standing or clapping for that shit.
                                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                        In the US recently at an NBA game, in a very red state. They play the national anthem at the start of the game and all stand, most with chest out and hand on heart, while some guest young wan stood in center court and belted it out like it was the happiest day of her life. Looked at the wife an kids and we begrudgingly stand up, mostly out of fear of being accosted by some jar head. Young fella whispers to me "shall we take a knee".

Half time comes around and we are enjoying the shenanigans with the cheerleaders high kicking and mascot firing off the tee-shirt cannon. Then the big screens focus on this one in full desert compact gear. "Can you all rise and show you appreciation for of service person of the day, Staff Sargent Jane Bloggs". Dafuq was I standing or clapping for that shit.
                                                        I've been a few NFL games and the military displays are over the top. Most times half the crowd are more interested in running out to get more beers than standing and paying respects but this game I was at last year was a different animal. First I was in Houston and secondly it was a 'Salute the Service' game and it was unbearable. Literally every break in play another group of veterans were wheeled out so everyone could stand and applause. Half the crowd head to toe in Texans NFL 'military' gear too. It was an odd experience.
                                                        Last edited by Charlie Sheen; 15-01-20, 20:11.

Comment

Great over from Dockrell there
                                                          Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                          Nice feather in Stirlings cap

Comment

Ugh

Comment

Was at a Red Sox game one July the 4th and the jingoism was just too much to handle. Myself and my friend were struggling to keep a straight face until the point where the announcer asked us to please stand respectfully while soldiers injured in Iraq unfurled an Old Glory that was stitched together from flags that were damaged in New York during the 9/11 attacks. We had to respectfully put a hand over our sniggering faces at that point.

Comment

Grandstand finish in th cricket

FTA on sky

Windies have traded ayt 2.1 and 1.01 and now back out to 2.5 inside the last 12 deliveries

Comment

They're chopping them all up now Joe.

Comment

Grandstand finish in th cricket

FTA on sky

Windies have traded ayt 2.1 and 1.01 and now back out to 2.5 inside the last 12 deliveries
                                                                    You tried your best to BBV us there

A good win but more importantly younger players getting experience in very different conditions. And hopefully enjoying all that the West Indies has to offer.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Sheen View Post
                                                                      I've been a few NFL games and the military displays are over the top. Most times half the crowd are more interested in running out to get more beers than standing and paying respects but this game I was at last year was a different animal. First I was in Houston and secondly it was a 'Salute the Service' game and it was unbearable. Literally every break in play another group of veterans were wheeled out so everyone could stand and applause. Half the crowd head to toe in Texans NFL 'military' gear too. It was an odd experience.
                                                                      Jet flyovers are absolutely unreal though.
                                                                      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

I've just realised that I am away at a stag party in Barcelona the weekend of the election so I'm not going to be able to vote.

I presume we haven't got around to having postal voting if you are away at the time?

Comment

Netflix really do true crime amazingly. New Aaron Hernandez documentary is captivating viewing.
                                                                          Profit before people.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                              I've just realised that I am away at a stag party in Barcelona the weekend of the election so I'm not going to be able to vote.

I presume we haven't got around to having postal voting if you are away at the time?
                                                                              ...PM me your votes and I'll use yours for me...

Comment

Comment

the apartment complex has wine wednesdays where i basically drink 3 bottles and get beligerent and zero fucks given. my wife has invited her sister over the last few times. I
                                                                                  cautiously warn them about the book club woman. tonight i was flying solo, got cornered and made crucial error of asking about next few months books, turns out the incredible book is their march book. say nothing invited to march bookclub to speak about life in ireland. No idea what to say
                                                                                  Last edited by Trippie; 16-01-20, 03:43.

Comment

No idea what was being celebrated at this sausage fest, though it looks almost like an ad for either Guinness or sobriety.

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Thats a fantastic photo!
                                                                                      airport, lol

Comment

Speaking of old photos. Check out this one of Dominics shops in Old Bawn in the 80s.

Sweet jaysis. Looks like the Israelis are about to lash a rocket at them.

Attached Files
                                                                                        Last edited by DeadParrot; 16-01-20, 10:52.

Comment

If anyone can make that image show proper. Please edit.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                                              No idea what was being celebrated at this sausage fest, though it looks almost like an ad for either Guinness or sobriety.

HHE Dinner 2017 I believe. Note the lurking V for Vendetta at left of pic.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                                                                If anyone can make that image show proper. Please edit.
                                                                                                done....

edit lol, hitch beat me to it
                                                                                                Last edited by DeadParrot; 16-01-20, 11:04.
                                                                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I’ve created a new word. IDEAD. It’s for when you put forward a great new Idea and you find out sadly that it’s been done already. I hope this word doesn’t exist already, that would be a real IDEADer

Comment

I’ve created a new word. IDEAD. It’s for when you put forward a great new Idea and you find out sadly that it’s been done already. I hope this word doesn’t exist already, that would be a real IDEADer
                                                                                                    Do you write your own material?
                                                                                                    airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                                      Do you write your own material?
                                                                                                      Not like my idea Eamo ?

I was really hoping you would like this one.
                                                                                                      The Christmas cracker factory won't take my calls either. I shall persevere. Undaunted .

Comment

Not like my idea Eamo ?

I was really hoping you would like this one.
                                                                                                        The Christmas cracker factory won't take my calls either. I shall persevere. Undaunted .
                                                                                                        haha keep the faith
                                                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                          HHE Dinner 2017 I believe. Note the lurking V for Vendetta at left of pic.
                                                                                                          THought that was you sitting on the right alrihgt

Comment

Any tickets going for Michael Healy Raes raffle dobby?

airport, lol

Comment

...

Comment

Whats the issue with that honda? Noticed a few comments about his draw on twitter that were along the lines of 'look what that buffoon is up to now' but from reading the letter nothing is immediately popping out as too odd.
                                                                                                                Just thought it was funny tbh no outrage here. If youre stupid enough to donate it wouldnt bother me!

Although taking until June to do the draw? Also is it not deemed commercial and must be approved in some way as the Healy Raes arent a charity regardless of what they think?
                                                                                                                airport, lol

Comment

FF do a super drawn every year.

IS he not lying though? Do elected indos not get a ton of money?

Comment

Whats the issue with that honda? Noticed a few comments about his draw on twitter that were along the lines of 'look what that buffoon is up to now' but from reading the letter nothing is immediately popping out as too odd.
                                                                                                                    Do you not need a licence or to be a club or something to run a cash prize raffle?

It reads more extortion here's your 50 quit ticket return it with your name address and phone... or else

Comment

The sudden change of font to make it look like a real signature is superb.

Comment

Also the "on this occasion"

"We're coming back in here!"

Comment

What's the rounder123 take on the Drawda situation?

(I see Probus is gone btw, looks like the building (probus + the old mazzonis) is being redeveloped.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X