Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the Home in Second Leg advantage is something like 52%/48% this century.
    It's a very small sample though, only 6 ties a year in the CL and 14 ties in the Europa, so there's probably still a large margin of error.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
        I don't really eat bread unless I'm in a restaurant. My PT asked what kind of bread do I eat and I said none, he nearly fainted. Not sure he'd ever heard that. Why are you off bread?
        Doctors orders, not Coeliac (thank fuck)

A lot of the signs of Coeliac without the more drastic stuff, wheat or something, will get fully tested soon

Importantly, seemingly... Beer bad... Guinness fine!

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
          This probably does look a bit of a rags-to-riches story to Americans unfamiliar with the universality of the J1. 'and this little boy grew up to be a leader!'
          I remember an old well to do English lad asking me about Albert Reynolds when he died

Chatting away for a bit when I mentioned he went to my school, face changes "but what are you doing working in a pub (fair point)" followed by a filthy look

When I explained to him that you didn't have to go to Oxbridge in Ireland to actually get a good job he was stunned

To be fair, I did leave out that the old school used to have a good rep before we turned it into a kip

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
            Did you buy a drone yet ? Check out the Mavik Air.
            Bought the Mavic Air last week and I've taken it out for a few spins and not really taken it off beginner mode just yet, had a few scary incidents were the battery went low and it shoots 30m into the air back to it's return to home coordinates.

Want to look into it more for rules/regulations for flying in Ireland if anybody has any pointers please do share, got an email off my camera insurance people this morning so emailed back asking what's the deal about adding to my plan.

This probably does look a bit of a rags-to-riches story to Americans unfamiliar with the universality of the J1. 'and this little boy grew up to be a leader!'

This was cringy as fuck this morning

"you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
              Bought the Mavic Air last week and I've taken it out for a few spins and not really taken it off beginner mode just yet, had a few scary incidents were the battery went low and it shoots 30m into the air back to it's return to home coordinates.

Want to look into it more for rules/regulations for flying in Ireland if anybody has any pointers please do share, got an email off my camera insurance people this morning so emailed back asking what's the deal about adding to my plan.
              Most of what you need is here:

Other than the obvious one of avoiding airports, the main prohibited and restricted areas would be near Mountjoy, in the Phoenix Park, the Curragh, Portlaoise, and a fairly big area around Baldonnell.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                Most of what you need is here:

Other than the obvious one of avoiding airports, the main prohibited and restricted areas would be near Mountjoy, in the Phoenix Park, the Curragh, Portlaoise, and a fairly big area around Baldonnell.
                That really can't be it? One page??

Was actually thinking about taking it down to the Phoenix Park for it's big wide open spaces to do some test flights with it bummer if you can't fly at all in it.

Comment

That's it really. Air traffic isn't allowed less than 500 above ground level unless taking off or landing so once you stay below 400 ft and away from airports you're grand. Phoenix Park prohibited area a 1 nautical mile radius from the Aras which is basically the whole park.

Strictly speaking the whole of Dublin from Skerries to Bray and Palmerstown roundabout to east of the coast is all controlled airspace which you shouldn't be flying in at all, but I guess they don't mind if you keep low and away from Dublin airport.

Edit: Here's the hard and fast document...the controlled airspace rule is waived if you stay below 50ft (which I'd imagine is fuck all use!):

Last edited by Guest; 16-03-18, 13:56.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                    Happy Liverpool Sevilla and Roma were all kept apart. The semi final potential is now mouth watering. Juve v Real easily the most interesting tie of the round.
                    Juve not a chance. Spurs handed it to them.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                      City was the draw I wanted to avoid, partly because we have only a small enough chance of winning, also because we play city every year anyhow. I wanted something different.
                      Fu 5star

Comment

Whupped by Zimbabwe
                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                          That's it really. Air traffic isn't allowed less than 500 above ground level unless taking off or landing so once you stay below 400 ft and away from airports you're grand. Phoenix Park prohibited area a 1 nautical mile radius from the Aras which is basically the whole park.

Strictly speaking the whole of Dublin from Skerries to Bray and Palmerstown roundabout to east of the coast is all controlled airspace which you shouldn't be flying in at all, but I guess they don't mind if you keep low and away from Dublin airport.

Edit: Here's the hard and fast document...the controlled airspace rule is waived if you stay below 50ft (which I'd imagine is fuck all use!):

https://www.iaa.ie/docs/default-sour...sn=a5d70bf3_44
                          Hero, BBV delivers. Just want to get my head around the controls etc as I don't wanna end up as some cautionary tale on the interwebs. I've it set to beginner mode so it won't go further than 30m vertically/horizontally but you try and watch all the tutorials but there's so much information to take in.

The drone will update it's software/firmware and you'll get notifications about the areas you are flying in.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                            I bet you'll chicken out of revenge too.
                            There's a fine line between bravery and stupidity!

Comment

At zuutroy just received this from the insurance company.

"For drone insurance you would need a separate policy and would need to have a minimum of a ground school training course completed and be using the drone for commercial use."

I did purchase the DJI package incase of accidental damage. "DJI Care Refresh is a service plan that provides you with peace of mind, covering damage to your DJI product. DJI Care Refresh is valid for 12 months and offers up to two full replacements at additional charge if accidental damage occurs to your product during normal use. Each time you request a replacement, you’ll receive a replacement unit that is new or equivalent to new in performance and reliability."
                              Last edited by tylerdurden94; 16-03-18, 15:08.

Comment

Comment

meh, just playing to the audience. Probably sends a decent message to American multinationals that the country will bend over backwards to accommodate them. Remember talking to IDA before about the FB investment in Ireland, they said FB were worried that they wouldn't be able to get enough visas for their top staff to set up the office initially. Said he got a list of everyone they wanted to send over and sat down with head of immigration and worked out a way to give most of them Irish citizenship based on ancestry. You could maybe view that as a bit dodgy, but compared to the rigidness of every other European country, its probably a massive reason why there's 300,000 American jobs in Dublin and not elsewhere in Europe.
                                  Wat
                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                    Much prefer knowing where you stand with away goals going into last leg. You can no longer concede any more away goals at that point. Definitely my preferred and imagine many managers agree.
                                    Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                    Of course, which is why I'm happy we are at home for 2nd leg.
                                    But that's the opposite of what he's saying!

You want to get the home game done and dusted without conceding an away goal, or at least knowing where you stand. Much better nicking the away goal yourself in the last 20 minutes of the 2nd leg, forcing your opponent to score twice, that the other way around. I'm with EH on this one.

Comment

WIP, more impressive than a J1!

The twelfth installment of WIP’s annual Evening with Celtic Chefs will feature fantastic Chefs from the DC area offering delicious samples of their signature preparations served with an Irish flair.EventsJoin us for Celtic Chefs 2024 We're proud to present our incoming class for 2024Community NewsMeet the class of 2024 Support our workDonate HereEmerging leadersWIP AcademyAmbitAlumniNewsEventsThank you to our supporters and ... Read More

Comment

meh, just playing to the audience. Probably sends a decent message to American multinationals that the country will bend over backwards to accommodate them. Remember talking to IDA before about the FB investment in Ireland, they said FB were worried that they wouldn't be able to get enough visas for their top staff to set up the office initially. Said he got a list of everyone they wanted to send over and sat down with head of immigration and worked out a way to give most of them Irish citizenship based on ancestry. You could maybe view that as a bit dodgy, but compared to the rigidness of every other European country, its probably a massive reason why there's 300,000 American jobs in Dublin and not elsewhere in Europe.
                                        Had seen some of the fallout from it earlier but outside of that it's proper cringeworthy.

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post

You want to get the home game done and dusted without conceding an away goal, or at least knowing where you stand. Much better nicking the away goal yourself in the last 20 minutes of the 2nd leg, forcing your opponent to score twice, that the other way around. I'm with EH on this one.
                                          Thanks FD, I wasn't arsed replying again haha
                                          airport, lol

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 16-03-18, 17:41.

Comment

Anyone else heading to Twickenham tmrw? I really hope it’s as epic as 2009. Nerves building here.
                                              ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                  Anyone else heading to Twickenham tmrw? I really hope it’s as epic as 2009. Nerves building here.
                                                  Few of my mates are flying over in the morning.

Lunch booking for the Vienna trip (ages away) at the local guys suggestion is a place proudly known as 'the home of the schnitzel'. I guess thats like going to the Guinness Factory when you visit Dublin. Have never had a schnitzel that didn't taste like cardboard, but will give it one more go. Think the golden rule is that nothing was ever improved by breading it - probably the main reason for doubting the inherent good sense of the Germanic folks.
                                                  Have been in Vienna can confirm the schnitzel is good.

Comment

Seems like a lot more hassle than just telling the head of Immigration that they will all be getting fast tracked for visas and to sort it out.

Comment

Comment

Ah, I misread his post as thought he thought I was Liverpool fan.

I seem to remember AJ posting a statistic that shows that the home side in the second leg is more likely to go through.

But no prefer being at home for 2nd leg, it's far more difficult to score and win away, ando our record is better at home. Much better to be controlling the game knowing what need to be done. I'm sure if you ask the pool heads, they would prefer to be at anfield for the 2nd leg.
                                                        No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Lunch booking for the Vienna trip (ages away) at the local guys suggestion is a place proudly known as 'the home of the schnitzel'. I guess thats like going to the Guinness Factory when you visit Dublin. Have never had a schnitzel that didn't taste like cardboard, but will give it one more go. Think the golden rule is that nothing was ever improved by breading it - probably the main reason for doubting the inherent good sense of the Germanic folks.
                                                          The first place I ever had schnitzel was in Ko Pha Ngan, Thailand, which in hindsight, is a pretty bizarre place to come across them. If memory serves me right, they were everywhere on the island and they were absolutely delicious. We lived on them for about a week.

Disclaimer

SPOILER
                                                          We were never even remotely close to ever being sober for our time on Ko Pha Ngan so we could have been eating cardboard packing for all we knew, thinking we were dining at a 3 star restaurant

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                            Ah, I misread his post as thought he thought I was Liverpool fan.

I seem to remember AJ posting a statistic that shows that the home side in the second leg is more likely to go through.

But no prefer being at home for 2nd leg, it's far more difficult to score and win away, ando our record is better at home. Much better to be controlling the game knowing what need to be done. I'm sure if you ask the pool heads, they would prefer to be at anfield for the 2nd leg.
                                                            I'd had 52% in my head for Last8 and L4 of the ECL (can't include the Last 16 ties as group winners are all home in second leg) and L16,L8 and L4 of Europa, but it's such a small sample size that it's unreliable.

However kassiesa (one of my nerd heroes) has churned the figures for qualifier games which is around 90 ties a season that all have a random draw for home/away legs and it seems the second leg home advantage is around the 54/46% mark.

I'd say that's fairly conclusive that there is an advantage.

But even if we accept these figures it'll likely take centuries before we have enough information to know whether this advantage remains consistent for ties between two English teams.

Comment

Haven't been around in a while but reading through a few days worth of posts a couple of observations/questions come to mind:

Our darts team won the Alicante/Torrevieja premier league on the same day Jim Bowen died.I heard his back garden was full of unused speedboats.
                                                              Seems I've been unknowingly making Cuban sandwiches for years.
                                                              If someone is clearly alive but declared legally dead does that mean you could murder them and the worst they could charge you with is mutilating a body?
                                                              Still haven't heard the stripper/Hawking story.
                                                              Still no pics of Satnav's boobs.
                                                              Heading to Spain's biggest Paddy's day parade later, Brian Cowen is Grand Marshall, wonder if I'd get away with throwing a pint of Guinness over him.
                                                              Have a good Paddy's day.

On Saturday 17th of March in Cabo Roig, Orihuela Costa, the biggest parade in mainland Europe will take place to honour St Patrick. Cabo Roig will be the place to party as the parade gets underway at 2pm. The strip will turn into a sea of green for the day with all bars and many […]

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                I'd had 52% in my head for Last8 and L4 of the ECL (can't include the Last 16 ties as group winners are all home in second leg) and L16,L8 and L4 of Europa, but it's such a small sample size that it's unreliable.

However kassiesa (one of my nerd heroes) has churned the figures for qualifier games which is around 90 ties a season that all have a random draw for home/away legs and it seems the second leg home advantage is around the 54/46% mark.

But even if we accept these figures it'll likely take centuries before we have enough information to know whether this advantage remains consistent for ties between two English teams.
                                                                actually you could as city was a group winner

And that actually another point in favour, they set it up that way as a "reward" for topping the group, wouldnt do that unless it is seen as a perceived advantage.
                                                                No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Liverpool's record in the CL era is progressing 3/6 times when drawn at home first, 7/8 when drawn away first. Small sample size obviously, but still.

Comment

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I love stats as much as the next man, but i'm always a little apprehensive when there's so many variables. Drawn at home in the 1st leg against a Toulouse, Grasshoppers or FC Twente will always yield a different stat than being drawn at home in the first leg v Barcelona, Bayern or Juve.

It's very hard to measure it, but if AJ fancies doing a stat sweep to see who progressed when the away team takes a 0-0 draw back home for the second leg, that would be good

That's the one that gets me most; when the commentators or analysts call a 0-0 draw away from home in the first leg a fantastic result.

Comment

On this of all days.... You monster

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

I love stats as much as the next man, but i'm always a little apprehensive when there's so many variables. Drawn at home in the 1st leg against a Toulouse, Grasshoppers or FC Twente will always yield a different stat than being drawn at home in the first leg v Barcelona, Bayern or Juve.

It's very hard to measure it, but if AJ fancies doing a stat sweep to see who progressed when the away team takes a 0-0 draw back home for the second leg, that would be good

That's the one that gets me most; when the commentators or analysts call a 0-0 draw away from home in the first leg a fantastic result.
                                                                          Soccer is a difficult one from a statistics perspective for sure. It's not like basketball, baseball or even NFL to a point. I lean quite heavy on stats when I'm looking at bball but soccer certainly has more variables to consider.

I'd love a few days shadowing the likes of Starlizard or someone else that crushes soccer(assuming they still do). I'd be very curious to see what sort of variables they build into models for pricing.

Comment

Nice to get our inevitable trouncing of England out of the way before dinner. Ireland by a distance.

Genuinely only two English players you would want in our starting XV. Bunch of donkeys.
                                                                            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                              Nice to get our inevitable trouncing of England out of the way before dinner. Ireland by a distance.

Genuinely only two English players you would want in our starting XV. Bunch of donkeys.
                                                                              Have you learned nothing!

Maybe your protestantism means that you really want England to win.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Paddy Power have already paid out on Ireland grand slam bets. Just a formality now

Comment

Shure we're champions, this is a nothing game and everyone will be minding themselves for the European matches.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                    Shure we're champions, this is a nothing game and everyone will be minding themselves for the European matches.
                                                                                    The chance to rub English faces in it, knock up a record margin, at twickers, on Paddy's day - I doubt they are considering it a nothing day.

England to look strong for 20 minuites and one dimensional and unimaginative for the next 60 is what I am hoping for

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                                      The chance to rub English faces in it, knock up a record margin, at twickers, on Paddy's day - I doubt they are considering it a nothing day.

England to look strong for 20 minuites and one dimensional and unimaginative for the next 60 is what I am hoping for
                                                                                      conditions here are pretty grim. more snow expected this pm. doubt it'll be a very expansive game!

Comment

Lol
                                                                                        Never change rte

Comment

Forza italia 17-5

Comment

...

Comment

Have looked at this sentence a few times over last few weeks and it doesn't look right each time, but the comma seems like it should go there in the middle?
                                                                                              I'd leave the but out.
                                                                                              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

We exclude firms that have a dairy division, but where this is not their main business
                                                                                                "We exclude firms that a have a dairy division, but not where this is their main business" is what I think you are trying to say, and is much more readable.

If you go with your original "We exclude firms that have a dairy division, but where this is not their main business" then you need some words after 'business' to clarify what you do with them.

Comment

Error 2020 No Signal seems to be a thing on all the Irish Stations inc TV3 on UPC/Virgin at the moment in Dublin.
                                                                                                  Nice timing.

Comment

Error 2020 No Signal seems to be a thing on all the Irish Stations inc TV3 on UPC/Virgin at the moment in Dublin.
                                                                                                    Nice timing.
                                                                                                    ...Literally ringing them about this now... Fuck...My Tv upstairs is working fine, and its the same Virgin...Praying it doesn't go!!!...

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
                                                                                                      ...Literally ringing them about this now... Fuck...My Tv upstairs is working fine, and its the same Virgin...Praying it doesn't go!!!...
                                                                                                      They have just switched TV3+1 to 'live' so should be ok for the rugby anyway. SD rather than HD but we'll cope.

Comment

...

Comment

They have just switched TV3+1 to 'live' so should be ok for the rugby anyway. SD rather than HD but we'll cope.
                                                                                                          ...You Fucking Daisy!!!...

Comment

Do not understand professional rugby teams kicking possession away with less than 3 minutes on the clock in a one score game

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                                              Forza italia 17-5
                                                                                                              Oh Italy so close. Good game.
                                                                                                              Conor O Shea is a great coach,hope he gets the Irish job next.

Comment

It’s Baltic here!
                                                                                                                ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

It’s Baltic here!
                                                                                                                  Not even the slightest attempt at disguising the shamelessness of that brag

Enjoy

Comment

Brilliant. Stealing

Comment

It’s Baltic here!
                                                                                                                      Bit warmer now I bet

Comment

What a kick

Comment

...Get in there ya beauty!!!...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X