B2: Snatch Grip Shrug 60kg, 3 x 10
      *60s recovery between sets

C1: Prowler +30kg, 3 x 20 metres
      C2: Chins ups BW x 10/8/6

D1: Calf Raises 60kg, 3 x 10,
      D2: BB Curls 25kg, 3 x 10

Ugh. Still feeling sick after these sessions.

Comment

Those sessions are no joke that's why!!

How's the knee?
        "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

I see you went with an improvised GBC programme. Its awful the first few times, blood sugar drops way down and you feel lightheaded.

It'll get better though.

I actually really like the layout of your workouts, did you get it somewhere or put it together yourself? Prowler/Chin ups and Rev.Lunge/Pull ups is particularly gruesome.
          This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
            Those sessions are no joke that's why!!

How's the knee?
            The knee's a bit wierd, was fine all weekend and I had started to stop worrying, but woke up a bit stiff this morning (). Prob just last weeks NSAIDs wearing off. I've plenty left, so i'll just do stints of 3-4 days.

Weight training isn't aggravating it luckily, its fine in a straight line. But no twisting or turning yet, so no BJJ

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
            I see you went with an improvised GBC programme. Its awful the first few times, blood sugar drops way down and you feel lightheaded.

It'll get better though.

I actually really like the layout of your workouts, did you get it somewhere or put it together yourself? Prowler/Chin ups and Rev.Lunge/Pull ups is particularly gruesome.
            Good to know it'll get better. I did notice that it felt better for the first two supersets, then the prowler hit. ugh.

I put it together myself. Spent a bit of time on it, making pairs I felt worked well and trying to balance push/pull quad/hip between the two sessions. Hip thrusts area bit awkward to set up, so I have heavy KB swings on standby there if needed.

Wednesday is now conditioning day. Currently planning out rower blocks and other stuff for the nest few weeks.

Comment

Weds - Conditioning

Warm up
              Light Stretch
              200m row

Rowing Block
              8 x 150m, 1:30 rest

Turkish Get Ups
              12kg x 2 x 5 (right/left)
              16kg x 5/2 ...Felt a small pain in my knee 2 reps into the left set, pulled up there to be safe

Steamroom
              Stretching. Pigeon position
              Trying to do some stretching daily atm

----------------------------------------------------------------

Rowing was bit meh. Would have hoped to get the average closer to 1:30 pace, that said maybe I'm not considering that its harder to make up the start over a shorter distance.
              However, here's a similar workout from 2012

Rower
              150m x 10
              Strict 1 min rest between sets.

Heartrate: Max 186/Average 165
              Calories: 230

Target was to get each under 30 seconds. Almost got there.
              Times were roughly 29.5sec for the first 4, 29.9 from the 5th to the 8th. And 30.5 and 30.4 for the last two.
              Average:29.8
              rests are shorter, so maybe its no different :-/

Sub 1:30 feels a long way off.

Comment

The start over shorter pieces should be an advantage, not something to overcome.
                "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

It's a long while since I did this kind of work-out. However, to pop out sets of 150 m in under 30 seconds, the key is to rapidly break the inertia of the fly wheel by shortening the stroke for the first number of strokes.

You may go off something like 1/4 slide, 1/2 slide, 1/2 slide, 3/4 slide, 3/4 slide, full, full. This also means you can get the rate up. I suspect someone with your build should be aiming at about 45 spm ...

Basically have a play around with how quicly you can get the split down as low as possible ...

Comment

The start over shorter pieces should be an advantage, not something to overcome.
                    I'm not sure if I was clear. Or this might even be highlight a flaw in my approach. Any tips would be appreciated.
                    For the 150m's I was using the "avg/500m" to pace myself. Obviously the first few pulls are slow, so the avg starts high, but as I settling into a steady pace of 1:32-33, the avg pace creeps down to meet it.

Should I go harder earlied, try to hit a 1.30 avg, then focus on maintenance?

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                      I'm not sure if I was clear. Or this might even be highlight a flaw in my approach. Any tips would be appreciated.
                      For the 150m's I was using the "avg/500m" to pace myself. Obviously the first few pulls are slow, so the avg starts high, but as I settling into a steady pace of 1:32-33, the avg pace creeps down to meet it.

Should I go harder earlied, try to hit a 1.30 avg, then focus on maintenance?

You go harder early - try to get the split as low as possible and hang on ...

Comment

Forgot to mention, the reason the second one was slower was that I fell off the seat. got back on and went hard to catch up, but it carried over into the next.
                        Confidant that they would have been all below 29 if not for that.

Originally posted by colm_leche View Post
                        It's a long while since I did this kind of work-out. However, to pop out sets of 150 m in under 30 seconds, the key is to rapidly break the inertia of the fly wheel by shortening the stroke for the first number of strokes.

You may go off something like 1/4 slide, 1/2 slide, 1/2 slide, 3/4 slide, 3/4 slide, full, full. This also means you can get the rate up. I suspect someone with your build should be aiming at about 45 spm ...

Basically have a play around with how quicly you can get the split down as low as possible ...
                        As I described above, that not what I was doing. I was going right into full strokes. I'll try shortening up the start.
                        Had a look at the info from the session, SPM was mostly 37 or 38.

Comment

I'll video my start tonight and post it.

Comment

If you use a sprint start for each interval, it won't be sustainable across all the sets. I did a fair bit of work with Shane Farmer, he's the crossfit row guru,I personally use what he teaches of 3/4, half, 3/4, full, full followed by 10 full and 5 pulls to return to the avg pace you Intend on holding. It's harder to use a sprint start across intervals of 150m and stay at a sustainable pace. I tend to use it for distances up to 2k

Comment

Apologies for the poor quality video. I did the same block this evening, all starts as follows:

Times:

3.20.1 // 1:23.3 // 40 spm

Comment

Thanks for sharing. The crux is short strokes and more arms from the off. Those splits are VERY impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by drive56 View Post
                                  If you use a sprint start for each interval, it won't be sustainable across all the sets. I did a fair bit of work with Shane Farmer, he's the crossfit row guru,I personally use what he teaches of 3/4, half, 3/4, full, full followed by 10 full and 5 pulls to return to the avg pace you Intend on holding. It's harder to use a sprint start across intervals of 150m and stay at a sustainable pace. I tend to use it for distances up to 2k
                                  I get the 3/4, half, 3/4 full part, but I'm not sure what you means by the "and 5 pulls" part.

Apologies for the poor quality video. I did the same block this evening, all starts as follows:

Times:

3.20.1 // 1:23.3 // 40 spm
                                  Thanks for that Lloyd. Impressive splits.

I'm determined to row sub 1:30, I think picking a date and working towards it is best. The most logical time is the rowing championships in January. I'll be in Australia, but I'll make as a pseudo-entry, I'll work towards a token max effort 500m on that weekend.
                                  We'll see anyway

Comment

Thursday - Workout 2

Warm up
                                    Glute stretch
                                    Hip Flexor stretch

A1: Front Squats 60kg, 3 x 10,
                                    A2: Press 40kg, 3 x 10

B1: Reverse Lunge 60kg, 3 x 10,
                                    B2: Pull ups BW, 3 x 8/7/8..............(was daydreaming and rested a bit extra before last)

C1: GHR BW, 3 x 9
                                    C2: Row 60kg, 3 x 9

D1: [B]Leg Extensions[B] 40kg, 3 x 12,
                                    D2: Tricep Dips BW, 3 x 12
                                    *60s recovery between sets[/QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by colm_leche View Post
                                      Thanks for sharing. The crux is short strokes and more arms from the off. Those splits are VERY impressive.
                                      Those splits need to come down further unfortunately!

I get the 3/4, half, 3/4 full part, but I'm not sure what you means by the "and 5 pulls" part.

Thanks for that Lloyd. Impressive splits.

I'm determined to row sub 1:30, I think picking a date and working towards it is best. The most logical time is the rowing championships in January. I'll be in Australia, but I'll make as a pseudo-entry, I'll work towards a token max effort 500m on that weekend.
                                      We'll see anyway
                                      You've definitely got the capability, lifting numbers are where they need to be. Just make sure you get on the rower a couple of times a week and vary the work blocks. There are two aspects to a fast 500m:

- the power / pace / technique to get down to and maintain a quick pace;
                                      - the ability to sustain that pace through the backend of the distance;

And you need to train both.

Comment

Mon - Conditioning

Warm up
                                        Glute Stretch
                                        200m row

Rowing Block
                                        5 x 100m, 2min rest

SPM was 47-50

A short, hard and fast piece focusing on the sprint start. The average pace dropped a lot verses last week (although 100m vrs 150m). Not sure what happen on the 4th, didn't feel slow, maybe a late start. Leaving out that one beings the average to 17.8/1:29.0, but even with it, 1:31 low. I just need to maintain that pace as the distance increases.

Rowing Block
                                        4 min Row
                                        3 min rest
                                        2 min Row
                                        1 min rest
                                        2 min Row
                                        3 min rest
                                        4 min Row

Total: 2939m (the distance during rest as flywheel slows is not counted)
                                        19 mins (12 mins Row/7 min rest)

This was all about getting the metres out. I had this vague plan of targeting 1:40 splits, which would have been 3600 total. I started off holding that pace, but nosedived after 1 minute realizing I wasn't going to be able to hold it. 2 minutes in, I wanted to give up. I realized sprints took a fair bit out of me and it was going to be a long 19 minutes. So I took my eyes off the clock, settled into 30 SPM and got through it.

Comment

Good work, believe me that I know the feeling of a pace being unrealistic and just having to dig in and get the work done.

Comment

Tuesday - Workout 1

Warm up

A1: Deadlifts 100kg, 3 x 12,
                                            A2: DB Bench Press 25kg, 3 x 12

B1: Hip Thrust 60kg, 3 x 12,
                                            B2: Snatch Grip Shrug 60kg, 3 x 12

C1: Prowler +35kg, 3 x 20 metres
                                            C2: Chins ups BW x 9/9/8

D1: Calf Raises 60kg, 3 x 12,
                                            D2: BB Curls 25kg, 3 x 12

All sets up to 12 reps. +5kg on prowler, a few more chins
                                            Increase weights next week

Comment

Thursday - Workout 2

Warm up
                                              Glute stretch
                                              Hip Flexor stretch

Not enough shoulders

A1: Front Squats 60kg, 3 x 12,
                                              A2: Press 40kg, 3 x 12/12/10...close

B1: Reverse Lunge 40kg, 3 x 12,
                                              B2: Pull ups BW, 3 x 8/8/7

C1: GHR BW, 3 x 12
                                              C2: Row 60kg, 3 x 12

D1: Leg Extensions 45kg, 3 x 12,
                                              D2: Tricep Dips BW, 3 x 12

Almost got to 12 reps all over.
                                              Last set of presses fell short. Was flying through the lunges, feeling great. Until I realised I'd loaded up 40kg not 60kg.
                                              I'm finding these session mentally tougher, and also not as rewarded. Oh well.

Comment

Friday - MMA morning session.

Get up at 6am, Got a lift to the gym and it was closed.
                                                Stood around for an hour, went home.

I feel like I'm a session short for the week now.

edit:
                                                Got in about 30mins of bag work at lunch. Meh, better than nothing
                                                Last edited by Mellor; 07-11-14, 08:29.

Comment

Monday - Mobility

Middle Splits (Floor)
                                                  2 mins

Middle Splits (Standing)
                                                  2 mins

Front Splits
                                                  2 mins Right side
                                                  2 mins Left side

Baby Stretch
                                                  2 mins

By the end mobility has improved, but its probablt regressed by the morning.
                                                  I really have no idea if i'm wasting my time or if I can hope to ever reach target mobility.

Comment

Tuesday - Workout 1

Warm up
                                                    Hip Stretch
                                                    60kg Deadlifts

A1: Deadlifts 110kg, 3 x 8,
                                                    A2: DB Bench Press 27.5kg, 3 x 8

B1: Hip Thrust 70kg, 3 x 8,
                                                    B2: Snatch Grip Shrug 70kg, 3 x 8

C1: Prowler +40kg, 3 x 20 metres
                                                    C2: Chins ups BW x 9/9/10

D1: Calf Raises 70kg, 3 x 8,
                                                    D2: BB Curls 27.5kg, 3 x 8

Bumped the weights, reps dropped back to 8. Session felt easier.
                                                    Diets needs to be better

Comment

Weds - Conditioning

Warm up
                                                      200m row
                                                      Hamstring stretch (MWod - 28)

Rowing Block
                                                      5 x 200m, 3min rest
                                                      SPM was 46-52 (46 on the 3rd one, 52 the last one)

Running (Threadmill)
                                                      1 Mile (1600m)
                                                      Time: 06:21

Found the rowing tough. Sets 2 and 3 were fine, eased off to keep target pace, but struggle on the last two.
                                                      My starts felt poor generally. I didn't keep an eye on it for all sets, but I didn't fell like I was getting power out of the start. Especially the first one.
                                                      Could be any number of reasons, aggressive stretching beforehand, need more practise on the start, or maybe the rower I chose had different resistance.

The plan was 500m x 3 in the second block. But I wasn't in the mood after that rowing. Swapped in 1 mile run from next week.
                                                      6:21 isn't particularly good. But I was hardly 100% and it give me a time beat. Lost a bit of time waiting for it speed up, but I'm not sure how track running would effect my time overall.
                                                      Sub 6 should be easy from here. And Sub 5m30s mins would really be pushing it imo.

Comment

Thursday - Workout 2

Warm up
                                                        Shoulder dislocates

A1: Front Squats 70kg, 3 x 8,
                                                        A2: Press 45kg, 3 x 8

B1: Reverse Lunge 65kg, 3 x 8,
                                                        B2: Pull ups BW, 3 x 8

C1: GHR +5kg, 3 x 8
                                                        C2: Row 65kg, 3 x 8

D1: Leg Extensions 50kg, 3 x 8,
                                                        D2: Tricep Dips +6kg, 3 x 8

Must grab the HRM for the nest weeks sessions.

Comment

[QUOTE=Mellor;853209]Friday - MMA morning session.

9 or 10 rounds of grappling. Knee held up ok, but still that background feeling that its not fully better.

Went up to the new gym we opened after that.
                                                          Played about with some stuff.

Picked up an 85kg Deadball to chest height 3 times. Very tough to get a grip on it.

Comment

Halfway through this program now. Weight has floated around the 79kg mark. Which is surprising because i'm eating a lot less. 75kg will be a struggle by mid-dec.
                                                            Finding the higher volume a lot easier now. Still don't enjoy it though.
                                                            It's a bit silly, but I semi-consciously feel week due to the short rest periods.

Monday - Mobility
                                                            Two mobs focusing on the posterior chain.

Standing Posterior Chain Flossing
                                                            Banded Lying Posterior Chain Mob*

K.Starr recommends the second for BJJ and MMA as its carried out on your band. Mobilise in a position that reflects movement and sport.
                                                            I have a small power band (this one), I picked it up free in work. I might need to get a slightly heavier one for some of this stuff.
                                                            Hips felt loose afterwards. It’s short lived.

Tuesday - Workout 1
                                                            Warm up
                                                            Hip Stretch
                                                            Glute Stretch
                                                            60kg Deadlifts

A1: Deadlifts 110kg, 3 x 10,
                                                            A2: DB Bench Press 27.5kg, 3 x 10

B1: Hip Thrust 70kg, 3 x 10,
                                                            B2: Snatch Grip Shrug 70kg, 3 x 10,

C1: Tyre Flip, 3 x 20 metres .........(Prowler was occupied, tyre was a truck tyre so a bit light tbh)
                                                            C2: Chins ups BW x 10/10/10

D1: Calf Raises 70kg, 3 x 10, .......Calf raises was in use and I wasn’t waiting around.
                                                            D2: BB Curls 27.5kg, 3 x 10,
                                                            *45s recovery between sets

Comment

Was setting up a bit of mobility work last night. (This)
                                                              And it was really uncomfortable on my knee. Mailed a physio near work today and he told me to come in for a free 10 min consult.
                                                              Had a look at a the knee, a few tests. Single leg squats, etc
                                                              No laxity with is great. Probably was a grade 1 (or 2) tear. It's getting better, he gave me some exercise swaps to refine the area i'm targeting. Said pain might be down to scar tissue and clotted blood in the knee. Recommended massage and a type of cream for it.
                                                              Cost: $0
                                                              Top notch service. Especially when I was being quote $140-$200 for an hour consult with another place.

Comment

Thurs - Conditioning
                                                                Warm up
                                                                M-Wod - 201 - More banded stretch for the hips.
                                                                Hips felt was instantly better. Less resistance moving knees towards chest.
                                                                Even on the video, a reasonably mobile athlete see improvement.
                                                                SPOILER

MWOD with Erin Cafaro, Olympic Gold MedalistGives solutions for difficulty at the catch.SUBSCRIBE: http://bit.ly/1bRdYecAbout The Ready State:The Ready State...

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2011/03/e...faster-rowing/

Hopped on the rower I used the first time. Felt a little loose.
                                                                Checked the drag factor @ 6, was 75. Damper at 10, drag was only 80-ish.
                                                                Checked two other rower and got similar results. Those numbers look way off to me, but nothing I could do.

Rowing Block
                                                                4 x 300m, 3min rest
                                                                SPM was exactly 38 on each

58 was the target.
                                                                1 second faster on the 2nd run, apart from that pretty consistent across the board.
                                                                Started to fade a bit on the third to kept on eyes on the avg split. The last run was horrible, just a grind to keep it floating at 1:37 avg.
                                                                Legs were jelly afterwards. Had intentions of a short tempo piece afterwards, but recovery was gonna take a while and I had to go back to work.

__________________________________________________ ______________
                                                                I'm probably being a bit over analytical with this nest bit. But the info has all been recorded, so I don't see why not.
                                                                The graph below represents the last 4 rower blocks I've done, each over 4 different distances. The red line is my average split times for each, and the dotted blue line is a trendline for the splits. The 150m above the trend reflects the lack of a sprint start, the 300m below the line reflects the effort from today.
                                                                So far, the trendline somewhat represents a consistent effort over a given distance.

Rs I repeat distances and update values, the trendline will adjust automatically.
                                                                I'm not entirely sure what to do with this info, other than spotting my weakest sessions, but It's a good way to compare a lot of info at once.
                                                                SPOILER
                                                                Attached Files

Comment

That rower is way too soft.

Comment

That rower is way too soft.
                                                                    Yeah, I tried 3 and that was the highest I could get. I've no idea how could all drop like that.
                                                                    I normally settle on 130ish. In future I might go to a different gym for rowing.

Comment

Yeah, I tried 3 and that was the highest I could get. I've no idea how could all drop like that.
                                                                      I normally settle on 130ish. In future I might go to a different gym for rowing.
                                                                      The good news is that on a normal drag factor you might have real potential to smash those times.

Comment

The good news is that on a normal drag factor you might have real potential to smash those times.
                                                                        That's good to know. Looking forward to rowing a 500m test next month. Then hammer weak areas until January.

Friday - Judo.
                                                                        (Did a session last Friday that I forgot to log)

Warm up: Rolls, break falls, etc

Throws: Ogoshi, Seoi Nage, Harai Goshi

Pretty happy with the throws. A bit of rust with the Harai. But ok once I swapped my grips.
                                                                        Last edited by Mellor; 21-11-14, 11:32.

Comment

Monday - Workout 2

Warm up
                                                                          Glute stretch
                                                                          Shoulder dislocates

A1: Front Squats 70kg, 3 x 10,
                                                                          A2: Press 45kg, 3 x 10/10/6

B1: Pistols 6kg, 3 x 10, (5L/5R)
                                                                          B2: Pull ups BW, 3 x 9

C1: GHR +5kg, 3 x 10
                                                                          C2: Row 65kg, 3 x 10

Tricep Dips BW x 20 *PR*

Recovery times were all over the place. Very tough sessions. Shoulders crumbled on the last set of presses. With squats, rows, etc you can pause in certain positions and rest, not so much with OHP.
                                                                          Swapped lunges for pistols. And removed knn extensions to reduce knee stress. Was supposed to swap for end range leg presses but machine was in use.
                                                                          Did 1 set of dips for max reps.

Comment

I'm not happy with my mobility. It's not excessively bad. Probably better than most guys on the street, and adequate for basic weightlifting.
                                                                            But better hip mobility would instantly increase the effectiveness of my grappling.

So, keeping myself accountable. I'm logging my mobility now. Target is 6 days a week. A mix of evening and morning, 15-30 minute pieces.
                                                                            Hopefully I can keep it up. I'll prob merge them into workout posts to keep it tidier. W

Monday - Mob 1
                                                                            Splits (Floor)
                                                                            About 25 mins sitting on the floor working on getting my legs further apart.
                                                                            I was clearly wider by the end of it, but barely breaking 90 degrees. I'll need to improve that before getting into advanced/aggressive positions.

Comment

Tuesday

Mob 2
                                                                              Couch Stretch
                                                                              4 mins each side. Quads are fried from yesterday.

Wall Sit Stretch
                                                                              Not sure what to call this. Worked quite well, really able to relax into the mobility.

Got the mob drills in before work. Get it out of the way at 8am might be the way forward.

Workout 1
                                                                              Warm up
                                                                              Hip Stretch
                                                                              Glute Stretch

A1: Deadlifts 110kg, 3 x 12,
                                                                              A2: DB Bench Press 27.5kg, 3 x 12

B1: Hip Thrust 70kg, 3 x 12,
                                                                              B2: Snatch Grip Shrug 70kg, 3 x 12,

C1: Prowler, +40kg, 3 x 20 metres
                                                                              C2: Chins ups BW x 10/10/10

D1: Calf Raises 70kg, 3 x 12,
                                                                              D2: BB Curls 27.5kg, 3 x 12,
                                                                              *45s recovery between sets[/QUOTE]

That was tough. 3rd set of deadlifts was a long set. Barely got 12 reps on the last DB bench. But all reps out, soup the load.

Comment

Weds - Mobility & Conditioning

Mob 3
                                                                                Foam Rolling
                                                                                About 25 mins, burying my quads in into a roller. Still sore with DOMs so this was agony.

Pigeon Stretch
                                                                                2 x 2 mins each side
                                                                                Just can't the deep with that one.

Got the mob drills in before work. Get it out of the way at 8am might be the way forward.

Rowing Block
                                                                                2 x 250m, 4min rest
                                                                                Quads were pretty tight and sore, was wasn't expecting much. Plus, drag was hitting a max of 85 (damper 10).
                                                                                First was fine, hit 48 easy.
                                                                                Not sure what happened on the second. But was miles behind the pace boat from the start. Average was >2mins at and I have to go like fuck just to get it down to 1:40, never seen the 30s.
                                                                                Not sure but must have been late starting or something.

After wasting energy with the 2nd run, plus the burning quads. I called it there. Was achieving anything, better of resting.
                                                                                I'll revist next week, 2 x 250m at 48s
                                                                                Last edited by Mellor; 26-11-14, 04:06.

Comment

Thursday - Mobility & Grappling

Decided to skip the weights and get a longer mobility session.

Mob 4
                                                                                  Banded Lying Posterior Chain Mob

Definitely noticed improvements in these stretches. Used the rope cable attachment to hook my foot for a better stretch. Was getting funny looks from the cardio bunnies dandering along nearby.

Check/Recheck
                                                                                  Floor splits

Splits ROM was good, but not sure if this was now to hip mobs above. Forgot to check at the start of the session.
                                                                                  Came up with a pretty good way to do this with the stretch/ballet bar along the walls. I can see lots of time in this position in future.

Grappling (Judo/BJJ)
                                                                                  About 90mins of grappling. Technique based, just ticking off bits of my grading. Hoping to start the officially grading tomorrow and rank before Xmas.

Comment

Friday

Mob 5
                                                                                    Remedial Massage
                                                                                    "You've a lot going on in your back and neck"

Saturday

Mob 6
                                                                                    Wall Sit Hip Stretch
                                                                                    Just trying to relaxing to this position

Pigeon Stretch
                                                                                    Still not getting any external rotation in my glutes

Splits (Floor)
                                                                                    Sitting with my feet on a barbell with my belt tied on. Every 2 minutes stretching further and pulling the barbell closer.
                                                                                    Seeing progress here, I think. I might need to start measuring max angle.

Grappling (Judo/BJJ)
                                                                                    About 2hrs of technique on the grading

Comment

Monday - Workout 2
                                                                                      Warm up
                                                                                      Hip stretch

A1: Front Squats 70kg, 3 x 12,
                                                                                      A2: Press 45kg, 3 x 10/10/6

B1: Pistols 6kg, 3 x 12, (6L/6R)
                                                                                      B2: Pull ups BW, 3 x 9

C1: GHR +5kg, 3 x 12
                                                                                      C2: Row 65kg, 2 x 11

End-Range Leg Press 60kg x 3 x 24+

Press failed again on the 3rd. Just drained by that point.
                                                                                      Only did 2 sets for row. Grinding out reps. Upper body gassing at the point.
                                                                                      Finished with some leg press for me knee.

Mob 2.1

Pigeon Stretch
                                                                                      3 mins each side

15 mins smashing glutes with large baseball

Followed by more Pigeon, 4 mins each side
                                                                                      Last edited by Mellor; 01-12-14, 12:46.

Comment

Tuesday - MMA
                                                                                        Warm up
                                                                                        Rolling, knee prep, etc

Grappling 20 mins
                                                                                        Striking 40 mins

Nothing special, Just a bit of lunchtime sparring.

Mob 2.2
                                                                                        Splits (Floor)
                                                                                        Ankle (Wall Touch)

Definite progress with the splits. Measured at just over 100 degrees between femurs.
                                                                                        In future it might be easier to measure inner thighs.
                                                                                        Last edited by Mellor; 02-12-14, 11:45.

Comment

Maybe you covered it before, but what is your knee prep? Any info on that would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by RoadSweeper View Post
                                                                                            Maybe you covered it before, but what is your knee prep? Any info on that would be appreciated.
                                                                                            Don't think I covered it before. Just something I've added since I hurt my knee. Just a bit paranoid that I'll aggravate it.

Basically just trying to get my knees warmed up and moving through all angles, and light pressure from the side.
                                                                                            No real set routine. But something like:
                                                                                            Full depth squats (push knees out)
                                                                                            Static quad extensions
                                                                                            Sit all fours. Keep knees and feet on the mat/ground and move forward, back and in small circles.
                                                                                            Just putting weight through knees from all angles etc.

Finish with monster walks if you have a band (I don't do this enough).
                                                                                            I'm gonna search mobitywod for some knee stuff soon. I'll give you a shout if I find any thing .

Comment

Yep cheers, I'm similar and have been doing x band walks and other glute work. I was just going to ask if you had any Mobility Wod viddy links

Comment

Originally posted by RoadSweeper View Post
                                                                                                Yep cheers, I'm similar and have been doing x band walks and other glute work. I was just going to ask if you had any Mobility Wod viddy links
                                                                                                Not part of my exercise prep/warm up.
                                                                                                But some of the mobility stuff i've done in the past was Voodoo flossing the knee, and flexion gaping the rear of the knee with a rolled towel.

Here's some mWod stuff
                                                                                                MWODSUBSCRIBE: http://bit.ly/1bRdYecAbout The Ready State:The Ready State is the new home of MobilityWOD. The Ready State provides athletes, coaches, and hum...

Voodoo Flossing
                                                                                                Tack and Floss the tissues above the knee with a compression band.SUBSCRIBE: http://bit.ly/1bRdYecAbout The Ready State:The Ready State is the new home of Mo...

Patella femoral pain voodoo.SUBSCRIBE: http://bit.ly/1bRdYecAbout The Ready State:The Ready State is the new home of MobilityWOD. The Ready State provides at...

Here's an example of Flexion gapping
                                                                                                This is "Knee Flexion Gapping" by Adam O'Shea on Vimeo, the home for high quality videos and the people who love them.

Comment

Weds AM - Gymnastics, Mobility & Conditioning

Warm Up
                                                                                                  Light Rolls, stretching

Gymnastics
                                                                                                  About 15 mins working on a front somersault.
                                                                                                  Not quite there, I managed to get a full 360, but didn't stay on my feet.
                                                                                                  Plan on working in somersault, rear handspring, head spring, and some improved bridging.

Mob 2.3

Rowing Block
                                                                                                  3 x 250m, 4min rest
                                                                                                  SPM 41/41/40
                                                                                                  Target was 48. Went a nice bit under, the longer rest obviously helped. But happy with consistency there.
                                                                                                  Different gym this time, drag was 120-130.
                                                                                                  By far my best performance to date. Kinda skews by graph something ridiculous.
                                                                                                  Attached Files

Comment

Thursday
                                                                                                    Mob 2.4
                                                                                                    Flexion Gapping - Knees
                                                                                                    Banded Terminal Knee Extension

Didn't really see much improvement in knee extension, but my knee already lifts off the floor. So I possibly already have full range, which is good considering knee injury. Plus left and right were the same.

Friday
                                                                                                    Workout 1
                                                                                                    Warm up
                                                                                                    Glute Stretch

A1: Deadlifts 120kg, 3 x 8,
                                                                                                    A2: DB Bench Press 30kg, 3 x 8

B1: Hip Thrust 80kg, 3 x 8,
                                                                                                    B2: Snatch Grip Shrug 80kg, 3 x 8,

Called it there. Struggled a little with form on the shrugs.

Mob 2.5
                                                                                                    Splits (Floor)
                                                                                                    10 mins on the stretch bar.
                                                                                                    Angle: 117°
                                                                                                    Target: 180° (probably being very optimistic here )

Figure the easiest way to track progress is to take a birds eye photo and measure the angle of inner thighs.

Comment

Sat - No Gi BJJ Comp
                                                                                                      Last minute decision to compete this weekend. Round robin format so no knockouts.
                                                                                                      Some mobility work to warm up.

Mob 2.6
                                                                                                      Wall Sit Hip Stretch

Matches
                                                                                                      Match 1: Lost by guillotine. I got out if the first attempted easily, attacked an arm, but got caught somehow.

Match 2: list on points. Not much happened. He was strong and heavy on my hips, unable to open his arms to attack.

Match 3: got the takedown, pressured from the top, took an arm, rolled to guard. Flipped him over and broke his grip for the armbar.

My 4th opponent pulled out halfway through the comp.

Disappointed with the losses, but tough opposition
                                                                                                      5/8 in matches in last two comps, with all wins by armbar

Comment

Mon - No Gi BJJ
                                                                                                        Some drilling with one of the new guys.
                                                                                                        THen ticked off some subs for my grading. About 20% done.

Mob 3.1
                                                                                                        Pigeon Stretch - lots of minutes
                                                                                                        Followed by some Some light glute and hip stuff with bands, happy baby, etc

Finally feel like progress is starting with pigeon on one side at least

Comment

Tuesday - Workout 2
                                                                                                          Warm up
                                                                                                          Hip stretch

A1: Front Squats 80kg, 3 x 8,
                                                                                                          A2: Press 45kg, 3 x 9/9/9

B1: Pistols 10kg, 3 x 8, (4L/4R)
                                                                                                          B2: Pull ups BW, 3 x 10

C1: GHR +10kg, 3 x 8
                                                                                                          C2: Row 70kg, 3 x 8

BJJ
                                                                                                          Warm up
                                                                                                          c.40 mins rolling

Mob 3.2
                                                                                                          Splits (Floor)
                                                                                                          12 mins total, increasing every 2 mins
                                                                                                          Angle: 118° (+1°)

Not much change since the last time. At this rate it'll take forever to get there
                                                                                                          Last edited by Mellor; 09-12-14, 23:05.

Comment

Weds AM - NoGi BJJ
                                                                                                            90mins Driling
                                                                                                            Armbars, bump sweep, Kimura
                                                                                                            Situational sparring

Lunch:
                                                                                                            Rowing Block
                                                                                                            3 x 400m, 4min rest
                                                                                                            SPM 39

Was supposed to be 400m x 3. Started the 3rd and the handle slipped out on the first pull. Could muster the effort to restart.
                                                                                                            Wasn't sure what to make of times above.

Mob 3.3

After work:
                                                                                                            Wrestling & Self Defence
                                                                                                            90 mins Light Drilling of various techniques

Busy day all the same.
                                                                                                            No individual session was that tough, but the 3 compounded was quite draining.
                                                                                                            Last edited by Mellor; 10-12-14, 23:30.

Comment

Sat AM - MMA
                                                                                                              Spent about 4 hours at the gym

Mob 3.4
                                                                                                              Stretching hips - static and dynamic
                                                                                                              Preparing for high kicks

MMA
                                                                                                              Striking Technique
                                                                                                              Judo Takedowns
                                                                                                              Grappling Combo Attacks

Comment

Mon AM - NoGi BJJ
                                                                                                                90mins Driling
                                                                                                                Armbars, bump sweep, Kimura

Guard passes

After work:
                                                                                                                Mob 4.1
                                                                                                                Light Stretching

Wrestling & Self Defence
                                                                                                                60 mins Light Drilling of various techniques

30 mins grading

Comment

Fri - MMA - 90 mins

SBG Ireland
                                                                                                                  Called out to SBG in kyke more. Jumped into an MMA class with Chris Fields.
                                                                                                                  Good sessin, some good lads there, and a few new tricks added to the collection.

Comment

Saturday 20th
                                                                                                                    Crossfit total
                                                                                                                    IPB Training meet up
                                                                                                                    For reference my lifts last year were,
                                                                                                                    Squat:135kg *PR*
                                                                                                                    Press(Strict):60kg *PR*
                                                                                                                    Deadlift:140kg

Total:335kg
                                                                                                                    Warmup
                                                                                                                    General stretching, mobility, glute activation

Squat
                                                                                                                    5 @ 20kg
                                                                                                                    3 @ 60kg
                                                                                                                    2 @ 100kg
                                                                                                                    1 @ 120kg
                                                                                                                    1 @ 130kg
                                                                                                                    1 @ 140kg
                                                                                                                    1 @ 145kg *PR*

Haven't been lifting heavy so pleasently surprised with the PR there.

Press (Strict)
                                                                                                                    5 @ Bar
                                                                                                                    3 @ 40kg
                                                                                                                    1 @ 50kg
                                                                                                                    1 @ 60kg
                                                                                                                    F @ 65kg

Split Jerk
                                                                                                                    1 @ 77.5kg

Ah press...temperamental as ever

Deadlift
                                                                                                                    5 @ 60kgs
                                                                                                                    3 @ 100kg
                                                                                                                    1 @ 140kg
                                                                                                                    1 @ 160kg
                                                                                                                    1 @ 175kg *PR*
                                                                                                                    1 @ 180kg *PR*
                                                                                                                    1 @ 185kg *PR*

Felt I should of had 175kg back in September. Had a vague intention of attempting it today if warm ups went well.
                                                                                                                    When I got it, I was actually going to call it a day at that as I never considered going heavier.
                                                                                                                    But the lads convinced me that it was a fast enough rep and that there was definitely more there. I guess they were right.
                                                                                                                    185kg was almost 2.4 times bodyweight

Crossfit Total:390kg @ 77-78kg

Comment

2015 is upon us. Time for some goals for the new year
                                                                                                                      • Keeping fighting. At least 2 fights in 2015
                                                                                                                      • Work more on my stand up. Drilling basic techniques with lots if volume
                                                                                                                      • Get my bluebelt
                                                                                                                      • Keep lifting, strike a balance between the two. Aim for a 200kg pull and 475kg total, but happy to break 1000lbs (455kg). Currently 435kg.
                                                                                                                      • Press more often. Introducing micro loading and hopefully some PRs
                                                                                                                      • Get some coaching in Oly lifts, just for the sake of a better looking clean
                                                                                                                      • Keep working on my gymnastics and land a front somersault.
                                                                                                                      Last edited by Mellor; 31-12-14, 19:23.

Comment

Holiday is over. Back to work, back to training.
                                                                                                                        Got off the plane on saturday and weighed in at 84kg. I was 78kg leaving. Pretty sure I didn't make that much of a pig of myself and I'm imagine a lot of that is due to water retention from flying, bad diet, etc. Expecting it'll come off fast.

Monday
                                                                                                                        Workout 1
                                                                                                                        Warm up
                                                                                                                        Glute Stretch

A1: Deadlifts 120kg, 3 x 8,
                                                                                                                        A2: DB Bench Press 30kg, 3 x 8

B1: Hip Thrust 80kg, 3 x 8,
                                                                                                                        B2: Snatch Grip Shrug70kg, 3 x 8,

C1: Prowler, +40kg, 3 x 20 metres
                                                                                                                        C2: Chins ups BW x 9/9/9

Mob to be added later.

Comment

Tues - MMA

Mob 1.1
                                                                                                                          Pigeom, Frog, Sprawl positions
                                                                                                                          (not much today, reset the count and still gonna aim for 4 or 5 mob sessions a week)

Warm up
                                                                                                                          Skipping 5 mins
                                                                                                                          Jogging, side steps, footwork

5 press-ups, 10 squats, 5 sprawls
                                                                                                                          10 press-ups, 15 squats, 10 sprawls
                                                                                                                          15 press-ups, 20 squats, 15 sprawls
                                                                                                                          Straight through, little or no rest between sets

MMA
                                                                                                                          Holding Top position, 1 min reps
                                                                                                                          Last edited by Mellor; 14-01-15, 04:43.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X