Irish Poker Boards
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Gambling > General Gambling

Old 19-02-10, 01:06   #1
Ste05

How the gambling forum should be run - a discussion

Following on from this post here's a thread to discuss this forum and how it should be run.

Please use this thread to highlight any issues you guys have or any you can see down the road. It's important we hear what you think. With all the work that's gone into getting the site off the ground this forum has largely been left to evolve naturally, without really many rules and regulations, it was just a place for regulars to discuss shite. Now it's evolved into something slightly different and since things are calming down generally and this forum seems to be gathering steam (although just hitting it's first inevitable speed-bump), we do need to look at it properly now, especially as we begin to gather more members that may not be known from boards.ie.

I know you guys have already mentioned adding a mod in here, this is something we could do if necessary, what sort of role would they do, up until now there hasn't been much hassle out of this forum, is there an actual need for one??

Last edited by Ste05; 19-02-10 at 01:09.
Ste05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-10, 02:02   #2
Eddie Durkin
Banned

I suppose it's true that there wouldn't be much a mod could do. possibly the only thing they could do would be to keep a tally of all people who have sent/recieved. Spoofingjam mentioned in the other thread that lee_arama owed him money also which i never knew about so the mod would have to be someone who follows all threads.

One rule there definately should be is that if you owe money to anyone. You shouldnt be allowed to place any further bets until that debt is paid.

Also before a bet is made, if you don't happen to have money online at that moment in time. You must state exactly when the other person will be paid with 3 days being the maximum imo.

Another possible thing you could do would be the same as some stakeing forums have. If the person is honest then he has a green mark under his username, then there are different colours all the way up to red. Red could mean that this person in untrustworthy in the transfers/gambling section. Not sure if you could apply that to this forum but as you asked, it's just a few ideas.
Eddie Durkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-10, 02:20   #3
Ste05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Durkin View Post
I suppose it's true that there wouldn't be much a mod could do. possibly the only thing they could do would be to keep a tally of all people who have sent/recieved. Spoofingjam mentioned in the other thread that lee_arama owed him money also which i never knew about so the mod would have to be someone who follows all threads.
No mod could do this, this forum is strictly at your own risk, and we couldn't appoint someone to do a tally of this kind, (a) cos it's too much work; and (b) people have to look after themselves.

A way around this might be for there to be a post/thread where money owed is posted and recorded, it would then be upto people that are owed money to make sure that they post in the thread and PM a mod (beit a specific one for here, or one of us) and ask them to update it. This way everyone would be looking out for each other by posting what is owed where, but again it'd very much be a community policing itself, all we'd be able to do is try our best to keep the OP updated, but it would need everyone to do that.

But generally people need to be savvy enough not to bet with people they don't know or have some way to find out who they are.

Quote:
One rule there definately should be is that if you owe money to anyone. You shouldnt be allowed to place any further bets until that debt is paid.

Also before a bet is made, if you don't happen to have money online at that moment in time. You must state exactly when the other person will be paid with 3 days being the maximum imo.
Surely people should say before the bet is placed if they don't have money on-line beforehand. But again this is really down to the individual people to protect themselves.

The no bets until their balance is cleared could be done, but if someone trusts the person this could easily be waved by consent of both parties, again the tally thread might come in handy for this.
Quote:
Another possible thing you could do would be the same as some stakeing forums have. If the person is honest then he has a green mark under his username, then there are different colours all the way up to red. Red could mean that this person in untrustworthy in the transfers/gambling section. Not sure if you could apply that to this forum but as you asked, it's just a few ideas.
Again this seems like ALOT of work, the best thing for this would be a vouching thread IMO. Again where the OP could be updated as and when vouches come in. But changing colours and all that would require lots of work installing that and to get it just to work in here is probably not even possible.

Some feedback for you guys...
Old 19-02-10, 02:56   #4
Semibluff

should be rules in place;

if you transfer you should have money to ship back within 24hours unless both parties agree otherwise. if this is broken, post it publicly. let others no. from this point on, they shouldnt get bets placed by anyone (unless you dont like money)
perhaps anyone new to the forum can ask people sum1 the know to pledge for them, this would appease the worries of others.
if they are completely unknown they should be around the forum for awhile, and people should limit bet sizes with them until more trusted.

All these are just suggestions. At the end of it all, the risk lies with those placing the bets. There's no real way for mods to control this - just make people aware of possible ways to avoid getting their fingers burned.
Semibluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-10, 03:00   #5
Eddie Durkin
Banned

Like i said. They were just ideas.

How about we get a list of all people who have done bets on here and transfered when they said they would. That would be a good start. As i said before i don't follow all threads but from what i have seen, people so far with a 100% record are...

Myself
Semibluff
Tommygunne

Im sure there are more but i have only been following the football thread.

And just to make clear to people who possibly didn't see my first post about all this. I AM NOT applying to be the mod as i wouldn't have the time to commit. The ideal candidates for me would be Semibluff as he's well known and respected in the real world. And Tommygunne also who is 100% reliable imo even tho i don't know him.

But as Ste said it would be alot to ask for someone to do it and there's not really enough people making regular bets that we need someone to police it.
Old 19-02-10, 03:13   #6
RoadSweeper

Pretty sure there is an Itrader hack for Vbb which is essentially a one line feedback score under the username with the number of transactions completed and a link to their betting profile (like ebay ratings)

IDK if it expensive or free or a route ye want to take etc.. Just throwing it out there.
It is alot neater and clearer than I described.
RoadSweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-10, 03:26   #7
Mellor

I think the mods and the rules side of things should be kept out of it. It's a case of Caveat Bettor, only bet with those your trust.

Obviously, shit still happens and maybe the reported post function could be used. If it continues, mods lock them out of gambling forum or the whole site

35 Betfair bonus
Mellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-10, 08:27   #8
KevIRL
Administrator

I do agree that a rule should be in place where if someone has monies outstanding they shouldnt be placing bets with someone else. There also should be a guideline as to when debts are paid up.

Would some sort of short template help for transparency when placing a bet?

Eg:
Quote:
Bet Details - Dublin Hurlers to beat Waterford
Price - 6/4
Amount - $50
Bet/Lay - Bet
Any monies outstanding currently - no
Payment methods - Stars or Monybookers
Might need to be fine tuned a bit, you guys know better. We can put in some sort of rules that must be followed here when making bets, but as Mellor as laid out above its bettors responsibility (to be fair you all seem aware of this anyway). If someone is shown to have lied when filling out the template however we can take sanctions.
KevIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-10, 08:59   #9
Kim Huybrechts
GOAT

I think limited access to people who provide a once off identity check to the mods, that way there is some recourse.
Old 19-02-10, 09:23   #10
eagle eye
Should've gone to Specsavers

Location: Slowly making my way toward the inevitable mortal ending
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard_Finkel View Post
I think limited access to people who provide a once off identity check to the mods, that way there is some recourse.
There would still be no recourse in this country. Well legal anyways.
Old 19-02-10, 09:27   #11
Kim Huybrechts
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle eye View Post
Lol exactly, would u try screw someone if they knew where u lived
Old 19-02-10, 09:33   #12
eagle eye

I suggest that there should be a welshers list stickied on the thread. Have it something like WARNING: Read before you take or make any bets.

I understand the mods can't do anything about a guy welshing. And you couldn't expect them to either.

I'd make rules regarding putting a name in that thread though. We should have rules regarding what has to be done before somebody can be deemed a welcher. I would suggest that you must pm the alleged welcher three times and wait three weeks, if there is no payment or no contact at that stage then I think its fair to put his name in there. If somebody does get back to you in that time period then he may ask for up to an extra week. At the end of the extra week then you can put his name in there if he hasn't paid up.

I also think that every bet that is taken should be quoted and the word booked underneath so that there is no question about it. The PM thing can get tricky so its best to have it in the thread and quoted so that its clear to everybody that the bet was taken.
Old 19-02-10, 09:36   #13
eagle eye

Quote:
I have never welshed on a bet in my life.

I wouldn't care if somebody knew where I lived though, I fear no man!
Old 19-02-10, 09:46   #14
KevIRL
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Even IF we implemented some sort of identity check (which personally I'd be very against) under no circumstances would we give out personal details to anyone else.
KevIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-10, 09:54   #15
Kim Huybrechts
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevIRL View Post
Even IF we implemented some sort of identity check (which personally I'd be very against) under no circumstances would we give out personal details to anyone else.
I see what your doing here, you have the address so you lot plan on being debt collectors for a significant percentage

Your probably right about the identity checks, perhaps make a 50 post minimum for access or something similar
Old 19-02-10, 14:06   #16
eagle eye

Can we start up our own BBV in here?
Old 19-02-10, 15:02   #17
Semibluff

Quote:
I do agree that a rule should be in place where if someone has monies outstanding they shouldnt be placing bets with someone else. There also should be a guideline as to when debts are paid up.

Would some sort of short template help for transparency when placing a bet?

Eg:

Might need to be fine tuned a bit, you guys know better. We can put in some sort of rules that must be followed here when making bets, but as Mellor as laid out above its bettors responsibility (to be fair you all seem aware of this anyway). If someone is shown to have lied when filling out the template however we can take sanctions.
good idea - benefit is that it was state where some1 hs the money and the period of time itl take them to transfer in advance . . . and if this isnt met first off - then you can bring it up. Also recommend that people be willing to accept transfers on boyles/stars and tilt

Quote:
I suggest that there should be a welshers list stickied on the thread. Have it something like WARNING: Read before you take or make any bets.

I understand the mods can't do anything about a guy welshing. And you couldn't expect them to either.

I'd make rules regarding putting a name in that thread though. We should have rules regarding what has to be done before somebody can be deemed a welcher. I would suggest that you must pm the alleged welcher three times and wait three weeks, if there is no payment or no contact at that stage then I think its fair to put his name in there. If somebody does get back to you in that time period then he may ask for up to an extra week. At the end of the extra week then you can put his name in there if he hasn't paid up.

I also think that every bet that is taken should be quoted and the word booked underneath so that there is no question about it. The PM thing can get tricky so its best to have it in the thread and quoted so that its clear to everybody that the bet was taken.
three weeks is way too long and lenient. think of the other punters who could be getting pm'd and bets placed in the meantime whilst your not saying anything
Semibluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-10, 15:06   #18
Eddie Durkin
Banned

Quote:

Bet Details - Dublin Hurlers to beat Waterford
Price - 6/4
Amount - $50
Bet/Lay - Bet
Any monies outstanding currently - no
Payment methods - Stars or Monybookers
Racist

I do think the above is a good idea. Another rule for the gambling forum perhaps should be that under no circumstance are you allowed to edit a post. If you make a mistake then post another post underneath it straight away. I assume the mods will take all suggestions on board and then put up some sort of a sticky?
Old 19-02-10, 15:14   #19
Eddie Durkin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semibluff View Post
three weeks is way too long and lenient. think of the other punters who could be getting pm'd and bets placed in the meantime whilst your not saying anything
3 weeks is dumb. 3 days imo as 3 days is more than enough. If it was going to take you longer then you should not be making bets in the first place.
Old 19-02-10, 15:27   #20
Ste05

Quote:
Racist

I do think the above is a good idea. Another rule for the gambling forum perhaps should be that under no circumstance are you allowed to edit a post. If you make a mistake then post another post underneath it straight away. I assume the mods will take all suggestions on board and then put up some sort of a sticky?
Editing is fine, we can check edit histories and so can check what was written previously and what was changed.

I think Kev's idea is a really good one and could go a huge way to making things better...

Irish Poker Boards > Gambling > General Gambling