Irish Poker Boards
GG Poker May 17
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Poker > General Poker
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-11, 14:51   #61
Megatron
Internet World Champion 2011
 
Megatron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Posts: 5,711
Send a message via MSN to Megatron Send a message via Skype™ to Megatron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keane View Post
What is the story with this Ciaran, how much do you have to play for the monsy to be fully "yours"?
We generally do it on a case by case basis tbh.

A nominal amount of play will get it approved but playing one $10 Double up from a €200 transfer wont be passed.
__________________
Megatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 06-01-11, 15:55   #62
Theycall me GINNIE
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaran_Corbett View Post
We generally do it on a case by case basis tbh.

A nominal amount of play will get it approved but playing one $10 Double up from a €200 transfer wont be passed.
Sorry Cieran but thats bull, ive often had 100s transfered from friend a friend, as long as i play a certain amount of cash on it
Theycall me GINNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-11, 15:58   #63
Megatron
Internet World Champion 2011
 
Megatron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Posts: 5,711
Send a message via MSN to Megatron Send a message via Skype™ to Megatron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theycall me GINNIE View Post
Sorry Cieran but thats bull, ive often had 100s transfered from friend a friend, as long as i play a certain amount of cash on it
A nominal amount of play will get it approved
__________________
Megatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-11, 16:51   #64
Kwisatz
Member
 
Kwisatz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 13
Smile Some Basic Questions

Hi all,

I have been playing poker for about 4 years now but only for fun and as a means of passing the time.

Previously I would have said that I had a fairly good understanding of the game although I have read some of the conversations on here and realise that I certainly don't have the same grasp and depth of understanding as alot of you seem to. I think this will be a great place to learn!

For a number of reasons my ability to actually play poker in the last couple of years was curtailed and I would like to remedy that now. In particular I want to try to focus on online poker as it seems that this is where alot of profit can be made with less effort than live play, particularly as I have a full time day job.

As my current laptop is a piece of s*** I am going to get a desktop and intend downloading a poker HUD, pokerstove etc and seeing how these work for me..........the questions I have are

1.) I am on pokerstars right now.....are there any softer or easier sites for my type of entry level playing. It seems stars gets alot of traffic but it might not be the best for actually making a profit

2.) I am planning on re-reading phil gordon's little green book and harrington on poker and have ordered colin mosshmans book online.....are there any other reading materials you might recommend.

3.) Which is the best poker HUD....poker tracker or holdem manager....I have never used anything like this and am a bit of a techno-phobe so the most user friendly would have an advantage

4.) What type of desktop would be best for running these programs....I dont mean make but rather the RAM or operating speed/capacity. Or is any bog standard desktop grand.

5.) I plan on trying to play for 1 - 2 hours a night/day ........ is that enough to get good or does it require all night gringing.....eventually I want to make enough to give up the day job (everyone has to dream) so would that amount of time let me get there

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Kwisatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-11, 17:26   #65
shano_88
Member
 
shano_88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: casatroi
Posts: 3,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwisatz View Post
Hi all,

I have been playing poker for about 4 years now but only for fun and as a means of passing the time.

Previously I would have said that I had a fairly good understanding of the game although I have read some of the conversations on here and realise that I certainly don't have the same grasp and depth of understanding as alot of you seem to. I think this will be a great place to learn!

For a number of reasons my ability to actually play poker in the last couple of years was curtailed and I would like to remedy that now. In particular I want to try to focus on online poker as it seems that this is where alot of profit can be made with less effort than live play, particularly as I have a full time day job.

As my current laptop is a piece of s*** I am going to get a desktop and intend downloading a poker HUD, pokerstove etc and seeing how these work for me..........the questions I have are

1.) I am on pokerstars right now.....are there any softer or easier sites for my type of entry level playing. It seems stars gets alot of traffic but it might not be the best for actually making a profit

Depends on what your playing really. If your playing cash, you would probably be better off playing elsewhere where you can get rakeback
2.) I am planning on re-reading phil gordon's little green book and harrington on poker and have ordered colin mosshmans book online.....are there any other reading materials you might recommend.
I have never read a book and learned most of what I know from playing and reading forums such as here, the old poker forum on boards.ie and two plus two.
3.) Which is the best poker HUD....poker tracker or holdem manager....I have never used anything like this and am a bit of a techno-phobe so the most user friendly would have an advantage
I have pokertracker and its very easy to use. Holdem manager is considered better but I doubt it will make much of a difference
4.) What type of desktop would be best for running these programs....I dont mean make but rather the RAM or operating speed/capacity. Or is any bog standard desktop grand.
My desktop is nearly 6 years old and fairly bog standard and I rarely have a problem playing 6 tables.
5.) I plan on trying to play for 1 - 2 hours a night/day ........ is that enough to get good or does it require all night gringing.....eventually I want to make enough to give up the day job (everyone has to dream) so would that amount of time let me get there
no comment
Any help would be greatly appreciated
.
shano_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-11, 18:40   #66
Teddie
Member
 
Teddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Busting out off MTTs
Posts: 3,051
1.) I am on pokerstars right now.....are there any softer or easier sites for my type of entry level playing. It seems stars gets alot of traffic but it might not be the best for actually making a profit

Lots of softer sites with rakeback too. What limits are you playing? If it's micro stakes the best way is to build up your roll using kick back bonuses. http://www.kickbackbonus.com/kickbac...ack-Bonus-List

2.) I am planning on re-reading phil gordon's little green book and harrington on poker and have ordered colin mosshmans book online.....are there any other reading materials you might recommend.

Haven't read Phil gordons book but I haven't heard good things about it. No Limit Holdem Theory and Practice by David Sklanksy is probably the best, also Theory of poker by him is excellent as wel but more advanced so you can wait a while until you get it.

The best thing is to signed up to 2+2 forums and read all threads in here

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/69...hreads-430489/

It will give you more information then any book.



3.) Which is the best poker HUD....poker tracker or holdem manager....I have never used anything like this and am a bit of a techno-phobe so the most user friendly would have an advantage

Holdem manager. Takes a bit of effort to get it running but then it's easy enough.

4.) What type of desktop would be best for running these programs....I dont mean make but rather the RAM or operating speed/capacity. Or is any bog standard desktop grand.

5.) I plan on trying to play for 1 - 2 hours a night/day ........ is that enough to get good or does it require all night gringing.....eventually I want to make enough to give up the day job (everyone has to dream) so would that amount of time let me get there

The more hands you play, the more you will improve. Playing just wont do it though, reading threads and HH's will be a huge help as well.
Teddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-11, 19:39   #67
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast
 
Keane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Under the sea
Posts: 12,345
Send a message via MSN to Keane
Posting hands you've played and seeking feedback is really really important IMO.
__________________
GAA Live Scores
Keane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-11, 15:03   #68
Kwisatz
Member
 
Kwisatz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 13
Thanks guys I appreciate it. I am going to dip my toe at first so I will be playing micro stakes SnG and MTT games and also maybe similar level cash games too.....at least until I build a bit of a bank roll.

Thanks again
Kwisatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-11, 18:49   #69
AndyFatBastard
Pudgy Bastard
 
AndyFatBastard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rigger's pocket
Posts: 9,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwisatz View Post
Thanks guys I appreciate it. I am going to dip my toe at first so I will be playing micro stakes SnG and MTT games and also maybe similar level cash games too.....at least until I build a bit of a bank roll.

Thanks again
One thing that's vitally important is to follow a proper bankroll management strategy. There's loads of good information online about it, but for micro S&Gs I would recommend always having ~30 buyins for the level you're playing. I got started with $100 on Stars playing $3 18-man S&Gs. I moved up to the $6 ones at $200 and grinded that up to nearly $800.
__________________
"I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson
AndyFatBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-11, 16:06   #70
Caf
Member
 
Caf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ireland
Posts: 5,406
Just thought I would post this here because it has tilted me in the past and probably would be tilting others atm.

On FTP, you can click on another player's badge at the table and it brings you to an internet page automatically, very annoying imo and I just found out how to stop it.

Options>Badge Display Options>Display badges without links.


HAPPY DAYS!
Caf is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 26-01-11, 20:50   #71
johnd123
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 21
wow caf, i often misclick their badges and get stuck going to the pages...thanks for the help on that!
johnd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-11, 15:39   #72
aniceboy
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 7
that is helpful thanks
aniceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-11, 16:12   #73
Dave03
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3
Hey new enough to playing SnG and small MTT tournaments, a problem i have is leaking chips towards the end. I'll usually have a reasonable stack but once the short stacks start shoving and a blinds going up this changes!

Any tips on how to close out the game?
Dave03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-11, 16:18   #74
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast
 
Keane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Under the sea
Posts: 12,345
Send a message via MSN to Keane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave03 View Post
Hey new enough to playing SnG and small MTT tournaments, a problem i have is leaking chips towards the end. I'll usually have a reasonable stack but once the short stacks start shoving and a blinds going up this changes!

Any tips on how to close out the game?
Be super-aggressive.
__________________
GAA Live Scores
Keane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-11, 16:29   #75
Tilt Gone
Member
 
Tilt Gone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave03 View Post
Hey new enough to playing SnG and small MTT tournaments, a problem i have is leaking chips towards the end. I'll usually have a reasonable stack but once the short stacks start shoving and a blinds going up this changes!

Any tips on how to close out the game?
Your prob widening your calling range too much when calling the shortstacks late on. What I mean is, could you give us some examples of hands the shortstacks were shoving with and the cards you were calling with? (and be honest ) <Maybe stack sizes in relation to the cards might give us a clue also. Just a thought...

Last edited by Tilt Gone; 03-02-11 at 16:31.
Tilt Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-11, 16:57   #76
Dave03
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt Gone View Post
Your prob widening your calling range too much when calling the shortstacks late on. What I mean is, could you give us some examples of hands the shortstacks were shoving with and the cards you were calling with? (and be honest ) <Maybe stack sizes in relation to the cards might give us a clue also. Just a thought...
Shortstacks are shoving with any pocket pair and pretty much any Ax or Kx.

Say big stack <4500 and small stack about 1000 with blinds 200-400.

All this pre flop so unless i've a pocket pair or some high face cards....
Dave03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-11, 21:31   #77
ojay
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1
Help Reqd

Looking to be pointed in the right direction to get someone to run a fundraising poker tourney in my gaa club, would rather pay someone a registration per player as opposed to a fee for the night, any help appreciated....
ojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-11, 16:09   #78
riveredagain91
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 18
Good Poker books

Could some of the experts here tell me where i can get good poker books, ive looked ina few book shops but had no luck, thanx.
riveredagain91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-11, 16:12   #79
tipp86
LifeNit
 
tipp86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojay View Post
Looking to be pointed in the right direction to get someone to run a fundraising poker tourney in my gaa club, would rather pay someone a registration per player as opposed to a fee for the night, any help appreciated....
Throw out your location that might help?
tipp86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-11, 16:12   #80
A_CitizenErased
Previously Mahony92
 
A_CitizenErased's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveredagain91 View Post
Could some of the experts here tell me where i can get good poker books, ive looked ina few book shops but had no luck, thanx.
Wouldnt class myself as an expert. But im sure someone on here was looking to sell a load of them. Also, ebay and amazon have a rake of them.

I recommend Dan Harringtons books along with Super System. They will help your game a lot.
A_CitizenErased is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Irish Poker Boards > Poker > General Poker

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 06:05.