Irish Poker Boards
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Poker > General Poker

Old 10-07-15, 21:29   #21
JP Poker

Quote:
Originally Posted by underachievement View Post
How good/bad are the wsop standard structures for these events as they stand??
would this be a new festival or try to incorporate it into an existing festival, the norweigan festival jumps to mind which would obviously boost player numbers but may turn off the recretional local player tho having an irish only ring event may solve that problem.
The satt system both live and online would also play a massive role in the success of this festival, every pub player in the country would recoginise the wsop brand so be it tru league prizes or straight satts i'd imagine alot of interest in the lower buyin events from these players ....... it would a big undertaking for any operator.
Yes this was the plan when I originally begun talks with Jack Effel.

However I am also looking at different dates.
JP Poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 10-07-15, 22:45   #22
PokerPiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Poker View Post
Hi Tim,

I would have no say over the structures of the Ring Events as they are standardized globally.
Had a look at the 2014/15 Circuit structures.

1675 Main starts with 20k & 40min levels day 1 increasing to 60min and then 75mins on day 2. All levels included.

365 starts with 10k and 30min levels progressing to 40/50/60

580 starts with 12k with same clock as above.

Not a million miles away i suppose.

I was comparing to WSOP 1k/1.5k's which start with 5k & 7.5k stacks but have 1hr clock.

Its really all about the numbers and marketing I think.
PokerPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 10-07-15, 23:25   #23
Jam-Fly

Quote:
The WPT ran at a massive loss which is the reason why it didn't return to Ireland.

Personally I'd prefer not to commit 4-6 months of my life to something that could end up costing me 100K.

Yes rake would be normal.
Didn't realise this, from a player's pov at the time I thought main event numbers had exceeded expectations.
Jam-Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-15, 23:26   #24
Jam-Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam-Fly View Post
Didn't realise this, from a player's pov at the time I thought main event numbers had exceeded expectations.
(Obviously Main Event numbers doesn't always equal a successful festival too)
Old 10-07-15, 23:43   #25
newbie2

Quote:
There was like 3 tables at the start of day 1a.

IIRC, they even delayed the start time to get those numbers. WPT Dublin was a clusterfuck IMO
Old 11-07-15, 03:45   #26
Jam-Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie2 View Post
There was like 3 tables at the start of day 1a.

IIRC, they even delayed the start time to get those numbers. WPT Dublin was a clusterfuck IMO
just had a look there and it got 338 runners. I remember a lot of people were setting the over/under at like 200 so from that point of view, it was actually better than expected. But obviously based on what's been said, a lot more was needed for it be deemed close to a success.

Anyway fwiw JP, in my own personal opinion, I think the 1675 main event would attract a lot and the slightly higher reg fee is negligible and I think would be more than made up for by the WSOP brand (i.e. I think a 1500+175 WSOP Circuit Event would get more runners than a 1500+150 non-affiliated event).

However, I doubt you'd get many playing multiple 365 or 580 side events and I'd be doubtful whether the Irish poker economy is big enough to sustain a 10-12 day festival. I'm sure nearly every player in the country might call in at some stage, but I can't see many people playing every day. I also wouldn't imagine the daily games would be big enough to attract many players traveling from the UK or Europe. You'd need some influx of players/money (the Norwegian Championship being the obvious example) as I just don't think the Irish poker economy is big enough, and by the sounds of things, there won't be any huge influx of players from an online site or from abroad.

Anyway, just my $0.02, I'm sure you'd be better informed than my regardless.
Old 11-07-15, 08:27   #27
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
just had a look there and it got 338 runners. I remember a lot of people were setting the over/under at like 200 so from that point of view, it was actually better than expected. But obviously based on what's been said, a lot more was needed for it be deemed close to a success.
I think events are successful when they make the organisers money, and are then repeated because people like money. Events that lose money don't get repeated. The amount of horses involved is academic to those concerns really.

I guess an exception may be if you are running a poker website and want a "flagship" event and are willing to lose money on the live event that is considered a discounted marketing / advertising investment - but even PP passed a threshold on that with the IO this year.
Old 11-07-15, 12:58   #28
luckforsome

...From someone that plays only occasionally, an event like this would be fantastic to Play...the extra 25:00 reg compared to normal reg is no issue at all. To say you won a wsop style event is worth alot more than the extra reg fee...not too sure about the other event's...it could be difficult to sustain 10 days of events to a profitable level...I'd say if you could make it 3/4 days of slightly higher buy ins followed by main event it would work better...
luckforsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 11-07-15, 14:23   #29
ACE REPORTER

[QUOTE=Jam-Fly;908163]

However, I doubt you'd get many playing multiple 365 or 580 side events and I'd be doubtful whether the Irish poker economy is big enough to sustain a 10-12 day festival. I'm sure nearly every player in the country might call in at some stage, but I can't see many people playing every day. I also wouldn't imagine the daily games would be big enough to attract many players traveling from the UK or Europe. You'd need some influx of players/money (the Norwegian Championship being the obvious example) as I just don't think the Irish poker economy is big enough, and by the sounds of things, there won't be any huge influx of players from an online site or from abroad.

Would tend to agree with this view.
Old 11-07-15, 17:16   #30
IPBYOUSAY

Quote:
Really didn't think my OP was that Vague. Only thing that's vague is the amount of the licencing fee but that's private and confidential.

The event itself would run for 10-12 days. Made up mostly of 365 ring events with 2 x 580 ring events and 1 Main Event 1675.
10-12 days seems a bit over the top but as long as it was built around the tourneys and not around the cash games then I guess it could work, depending on sats and some higher buy in sides to attract the over seas player base.
IPBYOUSAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-15, 18:17   #31
Jam-Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
I think events are successful when they make the organisers money, and are then repeated because people like money. Events that lose money don't get repeated. The amount of horses involved is academic to those concerns really.

I guess an exception may be if you are running a poker website and want a "flagship" event and are willing to lose money on the live event that is considered a discounted marketing / advertising investment - but even PP passed a threshold on that with the IO this year.
yeah as I've said, I realise now it's obvious the event was a disaster from the organiser's pov. I was only saying that from a player's perspective, the ME seemed to have attracted more players than originally predicted.
Thanks From:
Old 11-07-15, 20:30   #32
Hectorjelly

Great to see a promotor engaging with punters about reg fees. Personally for me to play a 1k plus event I would be looking for at least one hour long blinds
Hectorjelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-15, 21:44   #33
JP Poker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectorjelly View Post
Great to see a promotor engaging with punters about reg fees. Personally for me to play a 1k plus event I would be looking for at least one hour long blinds
Thanks Daragh,

Unfortunately I'll have no say over the structures of the ring events as they are stardardized from WSOP.
Thanks From:
Old 16-07-15, 04:29   #34
doke
But its only dollars, right?

I think this is a cool idea, would definitely play
Old 20-07-15, 12:09   #35
AlCapwnU

It does appeal, especially the idea of several side events. How many would be non-NLHE? Any scope for a PLO/8 event?
AlCapwnU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-15, 14:40   #36
JP Poker

Think I'll be putting this on the back burner for the moment unfortunately.

Exploring another option which looks very promising
Old 05-08-15, 10:10   #37
AlCapwnU

Shame, but intrigued by the new option...
AlCapwnU is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish Poker Boards > Poker > General Poker