Irish Poker Boards
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Poker > Poker Theory, Strategy and Rulings > Omaha, Stud and Other Variants

Old 05-01-12, 23:11   #41
Arazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipp86 View Post
Im 12 buyins below ev in 8.5k hands its a pretty tough way to come into a new game type. Its hard to know if a lot of it is shit play or what.
Seriously I think you need to get some really basic strategy before you get fancy, PLO is a very different game to NLH. I'm saying this as reading your posts is very NLH'y. I'd genuinely read Supersystem eventhough it hasn't received the highest praise in this thread. I was playing 5k plo and this was the only strategy piece I'd ever read at the time (and I'd go back to it and reread every 3 months or so) although I'd constantly discuss and analyse hand histories with friends and on 2plus2 etc, constantly pokercalc'ing hands and spots is absolutely essential.
You really need to get the basics right, also I wouldn't be too against playing tight when you are starting off but by playing tight I mean good PLO hands rather than NLH hands.
After that just gamble, gamble, gamble
Arazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 05-01-12, 23:25   #42
islander32

Hi Tipp gl with the plo.
Just a few things.
1. Position is the nuts in omaha. Much more so than holdem.
2. Big pairs like the qqxx hand are rubbish in plo especially oop. A good measure of a pre- flop starting hand in Omaha is Can it make 3 good holdem hands.
eg 9tjq ds AAtj ds etc.
A hand like AA73 no suits might be best to just open fold at a tough omaha table utg.
3. There is a forum dedicated to omaha called plomaha.com which has some top class posters.
islander32 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 06-01-12, 23:09   #43
tipp86
LifeNit

Tempted to back this in after tonight. Im now 17 buyins down and running 19 buyins below ev. This would not bother me in the least if this happened after me winning for a certain period but im now in a position where everytime i sit down i really cant see myself winning.
Old 11-01-12, 03:34   #44
blaaaaaaah

I would stop & concentrate on finding someone to coach you. I seriously cannot stress this enough to you mate, you will not become good quick enough before plo takes your soul.

It's just a quick few hours for coaching yet will help you forever. Like you obv don't understand how much required coaching you need, I can see from your posts that you will continue to loose gradually, and judging that you haven't just gone straight to being coached this might get put back again and again or fall on deaf ears, which would be a shame.

@Islander Are you mad folding AA73 utg??? You be crazy! Too many spots and flop textures in our favour just to pass up the old boots v aggro players.

Also guys I have found 'Lefty' from Cardrunners to be above and beyond the best vids to watch, esp good for someone like tipp. He has a positional tight game and is great how he opens it up and explains it perfectly to you why.

My Poker Blog http://jason-tompkins.blogspot.com
My twitter http://twitter.com/#!/blaaaaaah666
blaaaaaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 11-01-12, 06:52   #45
ianmc38

Tipp, that last hand, I'd 3bet a decent amount of the time preflop (as I like to 3bet the button alot). On the flop I don't like the raise. You never fold out better hands apart from some AKxx hands and they may not even cbet. It's a very very standard call on the flop where I think doing anything else is kind of bad. On the turn the pot is big enough and you've picked up enough equity to bet/call so no choice there.
Old 12-01-12, 17:08   #46
islander32

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaaaaaaah View Post

@Islander Are you mad folding AA73 utg??? You be crazy! Too many spots and flop textures in our favour just to pass up the old boots v aggro players.
agree to a certain extent but there aren't many flops without an A on board that your gonna be comfortable with getting a lot of chips in the middle. My example might have been a bit extreme but what i was trying to emphasise is that an omaha hand needs more than just 1 holdem hand to be worthwhile playin.
islander32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-12, 19:37   #47
smoothcall
Asteroids Champion

No offence here Islander, but I never thought much of that x ammount of holdem hands shite. It's a completly different game, don't compare it to a different games starting hands.

I was kind of lucky in the way i learnt both at the same time, but thinking in a holdem mind set isn't the way forward.
smoothcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 12-01-12, 20:34   #48
tipp86
LifeNit

Ive currently started watching the Phil Galfond/whitelime video on deucescracked and its a good start.

Jason i know what your saying about coaching and i far from disagree but i need to build my roll a bit before im comfortable with paying out for coaching. The only prior coaching i have had off Digiman taught me a lot about aspects of NL that i just didnt think about. I understand its value fully. What should a 20nl/plo player be paying for a coach in peoples opinion ?

I intend on integrating PLO slowly into my game as opposed to the all out assault i started with. This gives me a chance to progress slowly with it. Ive now put in 10k plo and 10k nl this month. Il probably play another 2/3k Plo and 10/15k NL.

Edit : I downloaded Rob Hollink/Rolf Slotbottom book is it worth reading or not ?
Old 12-01-12, 20:43   #49
eamonhonda

i posted a link in the omaha section while back i reckon it was a very good read to get you going with PLO

edit: http://en.donkr.com/forum/the-ultima...y-guide-533519
eamonhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-12, 13:46   #50
apokerw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arazi View Post
You'll come close to some of those Ahh Haa moments in an online article called "what makes a good PLO player", google it and then read the section in SuperSystem. Also continuously put hands you've played into a poker calc to see the %'s.
read that "what makes a good plo player" great read... just have to try put it into practice correctly
apokerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-12, 14:02   #51
Flushdraw
The Gamesmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arazi View Post
You'll come close to some of those Ahh Haa moments in an online article called "what makes a good PLO player", google it
Quote:
Originally Posted by apokerw View Post
read that "what makes a good plo player" great read... just have to try put it into practice correctly
I read it and can't say it helped me too much tbh

http://www.jcm-polo.com/poloinfo1.html
Flushdraw is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish Poker Boards > Poker > Poker Theory, Strategy and Rulings > Omaha, Stud and Other Variants