Irish Poker Boards
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Poker > Poker Theory, Strategy and Rulings > Omaha, Stud and Other Variants

Old 28-12-11, 15:18   #21
Tremolo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipp86 View Post
Im in position Surely 3 handed its a call pre ?
ye sorry misread, flatting i suppose is fine so is 3b'ing.
Tremolo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 29-12-11, 00:16   #22
blaaaaaaah

Invest in some plo coaching, this will help you understand the game dramatically. 4 sessions should get you going until you want to step up to 1-2 and so on. Trust me it will be the best money you ever spent. Imo you cannot learn all you need to know about this game on your own. I promise maybe 3-4 'ahh haa' moments!

My Poker Blog http://jason-tompkins.blogspot.com
My twitter http://twitter.com/#!/blaaaaaah666
blaaaaaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 29-12-11, 00:34   #23
Arazi

You'll come close to some of those Ahh Haa moments in an online article called "what makes a good PLO player", google it and then read the section in SuperSystem. Also continuously put hands you've played into a poker calc to see the %'s.
Arazi is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Thanks From:
Old 29-12-11, 02:14   #24
Downtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arazi View Post
You'll come close to some of those Ahh Haa moments in an online article called "what makes a good PLO player", google it and then read the section in SuperSystem. Also continuously put hands you've played into a poker calc to see the %'s.
Great bit of advice from Jason and Arazi. ty
Downtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-11, 12:06   #25
tipp86
LifeNit

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaaaaaaah View Post
Invest in some plo coaching, this will help you understand the game dramatically. 4 sessions should get you going until you want to step up to 1-2 and so on. Trust me it will be the best money you ever spent. Imo you cannot learn all you need to know about this game on your own. I promise maybe 3-4 'ahh haa' moments!
I agree with the coaching aspect i done it for NL last year for the first time and its amazing the small spots that a good player can see in your game. Im only at 20plo now so id imagine i can beat that easy without coaching.

I guess no 1 aim is sort out omaha manager as i never got that with HEM.

Ive got access to deucescracked at the moment so watching a few videos there should help a little aswell.

It will be a month or two before i think about coaching i imagine. When i decide im beating 20plo il probably try 1 lesson before heading for 50plo. I dabbled in a small bit of 50plo in the last few days and i cant say the standard is great. I could start my plo there from a bankroll point of view but i really dont want a bad downswing.
Old 29-12-11, 15:16   #26
Tremolo1

Quote:
The PLO section in SuperSystem 2 is terrible imo. Better off with videos like Brian Hasting and Brian Townsends earlier ones on CR's. Magic Ninja for DC
Old 03-01-12, 17:11   #27
tipp86
LifeNit

Just got omaha manager sorted. is 14/8/2.1 a criminally low player type? Im usually 8 tabling aswell if this has any bearing.
Old 03-01-12, 17:22   #28
Valor

Thats def too tight tight....youd want to be playing 19-20% of hands at least
Valor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-12, 18:00   #29
DeadParrot
Grand High Wizard

Quote:
linkage
http://www.andr3w321.com/what-makes-a-good-plo-player/

Also, I really liked Rolf Slotboom's book.
get 20 towards accessories or discount one your phone on @ oneplus.net. We all win
DeadParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-12, 18:09   #30
digiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipp86 View Post
Just got omaha manager sorted. is 14/8/2.1 a criminally low player type? Im usually 8 tabling aswell if this has any bearing.
Don't 8 table PLO if you are new to it, there is so much more going on and a million things more to think about than nlhe. And as Valor says that is just criminal stats
digiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 03-01-12, 20:43   #31
tipp86
LifeNit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valor View Post
Thats def too tight tight....youd want to be playing 19-20% of hands at least
Ok well il wait until 10k hands and post positional stats. Id assume i should still be fine with those stats at 20plo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiman View Post
Don't 8 table PLO if you are new to it, there is so much more going on and a million things more to think about than nlhe. And as Valor says that is just criminal stats
I see where your coming from on that front.
Old 04-01-12, 18:12   #32
tipp86
LifeNit

What stats should i include for analysis ?

VPIP PFR 3BET WTSD% W$SD% AGG AGG%

What should i add to this?
Old 04-01-12, 18:48   #33
smoothcall
Asteroids Champion

lol 8 tables! and your lost in pretty basic situations, cut it down to two and think about every thing you do, not one decision should be autopilotted.

Also if your playing this tight and still playing QQ47, your way over rating one pair hands.

If you want to get more comfortable playing wider pre, drop down to tiny stakes and play some Heads up, play like a maniac pre and get yourself in all sorts of crazy spots. It will get you thinking, also as Arazi said get out the calc, you'll be shocked at some percentages I bet.
smoothcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 04-01-12, 21:57   #34
tipp86
LifeNit

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothcall View Post
lol 8 tables! and your lost in pretty basic situations, cut it down to two and think about every thing you do, not one decision should be autopilotted.

Also if your playing this tight and still playing QQ47, your way over rating one pair hands.

If you want to get more comfortable playing wider pre, drop down to tiny stakes and play some Heads up, play like a maniac pre and get yourself in all sorts of crazy spots. It will get you thinking, also as Arazi said get out the calc, you'll be shocked at some percentages I bet.
To be fair that was at the very start i was really just testing the waters and that was a unique spot. I wouldnt even consider playing that hand in that way now. I really should give the calculator a lash as im pretty clueless on that front.
Old 05-01-12, 03:57   #35
smoothcall
Asteroids Champion

I didnt mean to sound harsh, but I see it a lot. People trying to learn playing loads of tables, makes no sense to me. I dont mind calling QQ47 in position, but by your stats it's crazy, it means you must be folding stronger hands, that don't look as good. If you get me, like Q1078 or something. Anyway gl with it.
smoothcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 05-01-12, 07:27   #36
ianmc38

Jesus I play roughly 30% of hands and feel I'm playing tight sometimes. 14% is ridiculous. Folding way too many strong hands. I call an absolute ton preflop in position. That QQ hand is awful to 3bet. Flops so badly almost always.

Wouldn't go near Supersystem. I'd recommend signing up on Bluefire for the free trial and download every Phil Galfond PLO video. Theyre the best out there by a mile.
Old 05-01-12, 17:54   #37
tipp86
LifeNit

As ive said the QQ was early in the process before i delved into how the preflop world of omaha worked. The last session i played i widened my range a lot i played a 23/18/10 game type. This obviously made a massive difference to what i was used to and i really saw how variance plays a huge part. Im starting to see how making guys fold when we have hands with decent equity is a big part of the game aswell.

Im just going to post this hand see if people think i can do anything different. Im going to go through a few more hands so may post some more. Il look into the bluefire videos aswell.

IPoker, $0.10/$0.20 Pot Limit Omaha Cash, 6 Players
Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (BTN): $22.43 (112.2 bb)
SB: $29.66 (148.3 bb)
BB: $44.07 (220.4 bb)
UTG: $38.44 (192.2 bb)
MP: $16.31 (81.5 bb)
CO: $23.80 (119 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with T:spade: K:spade: J:club: 8:club:
UTG folds, MP raises to $0.70, CO folds, Hero calls $0.70, 2 folds

Flop: ($1.70) Q:spade: K:heart: 4:club: (2 players)
MP bets $1, Hero raises to $2.80, MP calls $1.80

Turn: ($7.30) 5:spade: (2 players)
MP checks, Hero bets $6.20, MP raises to $12.81, Hero calls $6.61

River: ($32.92) 8:heart: (2 players)

Results: $32.92 pot ($1.64 rake)
Final Board: Q:spade: K:heart: 4:club: 5:spade: 8:heart:
Hero mucked T:spade: K:spade: J:club: 8:club: and lost (-$16.31 net)
MP showed Q:club: 2:diamond: K:club: T:club: and won $31.28 ($14.97 net)
Old 05-01-12, 19:31   #38
Tremolo1

3b pre.

I flat the flop, there are so many good turns for our hand and I don't think we get a ton of value from hands we beat. What was your plan for the flop? Once we raise if he shoves we need ~39% to continue and we don't do so well vs his 'get it in range'. We don't want to raise/fold this hand that has good equity vs most ranges on this flop texture

As played turn is obv standard
2 Thanks From:
Old 05-01-12, 19:49   #39
tipp86
LifeNit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremolo1 View Post
3b pre.

I flat the flop, there are so many good turns for our hand and I don't think we get a ton of value from hands we beat. What was your plan for the flop? Once we raise if he shoves we need ~39% to continue and we don't do so well vs his 'get it in range'. We don't want to raise/fold this hand that has good equity vs most ranges on this flop texture

As played turn is obv standard
Thanks for the input i guess you make a very valid point. I mean a lot of players at this level tend to fold so much and not pay off when you hit a hand due to been so nitty. I guess i was raising as a semi bluff. Im happy to take a pot down there or by betting the turn if he checks. I mean i see merits to flat calling aswell. Is my logic for raising pretty bad?
Old 05-01-12, 22:44   #40
tipp86
LifeNit

Im 12 buyins below ev in 8.5k hands its a pretty tough way to come into a new game type. Its hard to know if a lot of it is shit play or what.

Irish Poker Boards > Poker > Poker Theory, Strategy and Rulings > Omaha, Stud and Other Variants