Irish Poker Boards
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Poker > Poker Theory, Strategy and Rulings > Hold 'Em
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-04-15, 18:12   #1
dobby
Member
 
dobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: The Infirmary
Posts: 6,766
Standard fold?

In play I think I made the right decision but is there ever a case to be made for a call here.

Full tilt $25 IPO satt, Blinds 40/80, I have 4.7k, villain 5.6k. I've just doubled the previous hand through a cooler with 88 v 44 on an A84A board in a limped pot.

Villain utg+1 mins to 160. The guy that just lost with the 44 goes all in for 180ish. Folded to me with AK on the btn and I make it 480. Back to villain and he insta shoves. I fold straight away.

It looked to me like he was trying to protect a marginal hand like AQ or a pair but I didn't want to gamble so early.
dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-15, 18:18   #2
Caf
Member
 
Caf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ireland
Posts: 5,406
Standard fold.

Doubt he shows up with Ax hands but if he does, make note and use it for future reference.
Caf is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 28-04-15, 18:32   #3
Dizzyg
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caf View Post
Standard fold.

Doubt he shows up with Ax hands but if he does, make note and use it for future reference.
exactly what caf said... no need to be getting 60 bigs in preflop in a satty imo.
Dizzyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 28-04-15, 19:05   #4
dobby
Member
 
dobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: The Infirmary
Posts: 6,766
Yeah I'm never calling, was just wondering if there was ever a case to. Fwiw he had JJ. I don't know if I'd have hit or not as I didn't see the run out.
dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-15, 22:18   #5
colm_leche
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 629
I think you need to consider factors such as how many runners, and how many tickets, how many handed etc. before making statements for what the optimum play for AK here is.

Often times in these spots you will know that taking a flip for 25 bucks gives you a very strong tilt at a 250 buck ticket. I would often be very happy to take these spots.
colm_leche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-15, 22:20   #6
dobby
Member
 
dobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: The Infirmary
Posts: 6,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by colm_leche View Post
I think you need to consider factors such as how many runners, and how many tickets, how many handed etc. before making statements for what the optimum play for AK here is.

Often times in these spots you will know that taking a flip for 25 bucks gives you a very strong tilt at a 250 buck ticket. I would often be very happy to take these spots.
About 34 left at that stage. 2 tickets. Cash for 3rd-6th. 9 handed.
dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-15, 22:28   #7
colm_leche
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 629
I think AK crushes a standard shoving range in these type of games at the early stage of a sat especially, so I take this spot all day.
colm_leche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-15, 22:38   #8
Flushdraw
The Gamesmaster
 
Flushdraw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Swieqi, Sunny Malta
Posts: 21,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by colm_leche View Post
I think AK crushes a standard shoving range in these type of games at the early stage of a sat especially, so I take this spot all day.
Wow, this is burning money. You want us to call off 60bb to an UTG+1 opener than 4 bet ships against the other big stack? The only hands AK crush is Ax, and in about 10 years playing poker, i could count on one hand the amount of times i've seen this done with a hand worse than AQ, so you're way off.

If we call, we're actively getting it in hoping he has pretty much 1 hand (AQ) or else we have to hit to stay in a tournament where we'll find so many better spots to increase our stick, or at least get it in, in a +EV situation.
Flushdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 28-04-15, 22:57   #9
colm_leche
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flushdraw View Post
Wow, this is burning money. You want us to call off 60bb to an UTG+1 opener than 4 bet ships against the other big stack? The only hands AK crush is Ax, and in about 10 years playing poker, i could count on one hand the amount of times i've seen this done with a hand worse than AQ, so you're way off.

If we call, we're actively getting it in hoping he has pretty much 1 hand (AQ) or else we have to hit to stay in a tournament where we'll find so many better spots to increase our stick, or at least get it in, in a +EV situation.
I understand there are lots of great sat. players on this site.

I look at this spot very simply:

Q. Is this spot likely a flip or better? A.Yes.

Q. If I win this spot have I a good chance of exploiting the big stack and taking a ticket? A. Yes. Therefore call.
colm_leche is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 28-04-15, 23:06   #10
Flushdraw
The Gamesmaster
 
Flushdraw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Swieqi, Sunny Malta
Posts: 21,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by colm_leche View Post
I understand there are lots of great sat. players on this site.

I look at this spot very simply:

Q. Is this spot likely a flip or better? A.Yes.

Q. If I win this spot have I a good chance of exploiting the big stack and taking a ticket? A. Yes. Therefore call.
So are you calling 22+ AQ+?

We're a big stack now, before the call. Having 60bb or 120bb won't really allow us to approach the game any different because people aren't in shove/fold situations this early on. I'd much rather take my flip a lot closer to the ticket when having a big stack means something, and we can exploit it by attacking the other mid/big stacks and putting them in tough spots.
Flushdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-15, 23:22   #11
colm_leche
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flushdraw View Post
So are you calling 22+ AQ+?

We're a big stack now, before the call. Having 60bb or 120bb won't really allow us to approach the game any different because people aren't in shove/fold situations this early on. I'd much rather take my flip a lot closer to the ticket when having a big stack means something, and we can exploit it by attacking the other mid/big stacks and putting them in tough spots.
I don't call 22+ and AQ+. I call the portion of my range ahead of her range given all info available at the time.

Having the stack does make a difference, and once I have it my aim is not to have to take a flip.
colm_leche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-15, 20:26   #12
BobSloane
Member
 
BobSloane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,130
Hate raise/folding pre. I'd probably just call when second guy jams. First guy can only call and will (usually) play pretty honest post flop - especially oop. Or if I did raise pre I'd call it off. This is just how I'd play it from a basic nlh perspective. No clue about sats. Last one I played was probably 2010
BobSloane is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 03-05-15, 18:21   #13
specter
Member
 
specter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 14
There's absolutely nothing wrong with your fold if you don't want to gamble. You have to ask yourself: what was your plan when you raised to 10% of your stack... Was your intention not to induce a shove from weaker hands?

When he shoved, you had to call about 4k to win 5k; that's 1.25 to 1. So you need 45% equity to make it a breakeven call. Against JJ exactly, you had 43%, so it was a good fold. However, let's assume he's squeezing with a marginal hand to take advantage of the tilting player to pick up the blinds and your raise... Let's give him 22+, AK, AQ, AJ, AT, KQ. You have 55% against that range.

You left out your position in the field, and what position you'd be in regarding getting the ticket if you called and won. It has to outweigh calling and losing your $25 buy in.

But hey, if you don't wanna gamble, you don't gamble


Also, why was the hand with 88 a limped pot? Raise it up.
specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Reply

  Irish Poker Boards > Poker > Poker Theory, Strategy and Rulings > Hold 'Em

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 11:51.