Irish Poker Boards
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Poker > Poker Theory, Strategy and Rulings > Tournament Poker

Old 05-03-15, 22:48   #1
LTL

Is the river even close?

Can't make up my mind about this river spot, I checked with the intention of snapping off the river and then he jams 4x pot and sticks me in on a river where all draws missed and I'm never very strong. I had looked up villain prior to the hand and he was breakeven (-2% roi) over 4k games at €20 ave buy-in, which means he's pretty bad given the softness of Winamax but I'v no history at all and only played 10 or so hands.

4max €30 Tourney on Winamax
Blinds 500/1000 (100)

Hero (62k)
Button/Villain (71k)
BB (26k)

I open utg with AQ to 2055.
Villain on button calls as does BB.

Flop Q56

Pot 7065
I bet 3711.
Button calls and BB folds.

Pot 14,487
Turn K

I check/he checks back.

Pot 14,487
River 5

I check, with the intention of snapping off a river bet given all draws missed. He shoves 65k.

Is anyone ever calling or is it a radiculous spot to hero? I just can't put him on a hand at all bar missed draws with no showdown and I'v given him a super weak looking line?
LTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-15, 23:04   #2
BobSloane

As played I fold but see little reason to check turn
BobSloane is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 06-03-15, 09:05   #3
Hectorjelly

Weird spot. I'm very tempted to call since he can't have a 5 with either a front or back door flush draw. I find generally that if your intention is to induce a bluff then you should follow through with a call irregardless of the amount, always remember that a bluff will be sized in order for you to fold.

Call for me given the draws miss etc.
Hectorjelly is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Old 06-03-15, 09:14   #4
buttonboy

think its definitely a fold, if villain was trying to bluff he could be pot over even overbet pot if he wanted to.
he never shoves here for 4x the pot as a bluff, he 'thinks' hes trying to make it look like a bluff.
if you call he'll show up here with random x5 hands more often than anything.
But think we need to bet the turn, the K is more a scary card for him than us.
buttonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 06-03-15, 09:57   #5
brady23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectorjelly View Post
Weird spot. I'm very tempted to call since he can't have a 5 with either a front or back door flush draw. I find generally that if your intention is to induce a bluff then you should follow through with a call irregardless of the amount, always remember that a bluff will be sized in order for you to fold.

Call for me given the draws miss etc.
I would completely agree in theory and have done exactly as you said in so many spots. You have to be right like 44-45% of the time to make it a break even call. I probably now fold in game but definitely merit in both in my eyes.
brady23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 06-03-15, 11:49   #6
DeadParrot
Grand High Wizard

Call it off very quickly in my opinion.
get 20€ towards accessories or discount one your phone on @ oneplus.net. We all win
DeadParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 06-03-15, 12:01   #7
Flushdraw
The Gamesmaster

You've shown no strength at all in the hand. It's Winamax, it's 4 handed, and players don't generally fold ATC to a cbet. He's probably trying to get you off Ax, maybe ever 22-44. Villain has no reason to believe that you're going to call a 4x pot shove so I don't see him doing it for value. It looks like spaz to me and I'd call.
Flushdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 07-03-15, 22:30   #8
BobSloane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectorjelly View Post
I find generally that if your intention is to induce a bluff then you should follow through with a call irregardless of the amount, always remember that a bluff will be sized in order for you to fold.
This is true but also most people are trying to get the best price on their bluffs - while also betting enough for you to fold. Hero looks very weak so imo it doesn't look like a 4x river bet is required to win - although we know hero was snapping any standard bet. While I see the merits of calling - all draws missed - 10 hands on a guy who's breakeven/slight loser isn't a whole lot to go on. Is everyone snapping with A6/99/22 here too if we get to river like this?
BobSloane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-15, 12:53   #9
AndyFatBastard
Pudgy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flushdraw View Post
You've shown no strength at all in the hand. It's Winamax, it's 4 handed, and players don't generally fold ATC to a cbet. He's probably trying to get you off Ax, maybe ever 22-44. Villain has no reason to believe that you're going to call a 4x pot shove so I don't see him doing it for value. It looks like spaz to me and I'd call.
Yeah I was gonna say it being Winamax probably makes it a call.

Irish Poker Boards > Poker > Poker Theory, Strategy and Rulings > Tournament Poker