Irish Poker Boards
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Poker > Live Tournaments and Events > Irish Poker Festivals

Old 05-03-14, 16:44   #21
RG67

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyPowerPoker View Post
Hi 8611,

We're also very conscious of the fact that we have a lot of older players (like Doke and Mick Mc Closkey ) attending the Irish Open and we don't want to ask them to play any longer than a 12 hour shift on any one day, so we have to take that into account when deciding on the structure.

Thanks,
PPP Team.
New name for 2015: Irish OAPen lol
RG67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-14, 00:37   #22
DeeBrown

Shallower Stack + Faster Blinds = Better Structure.
We hear you Paddy Power.
DeeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 09-04-14, 03:29   #23
Oilyslick

PPP, you have got to listen to your customers. Everybody commenting here is saying or implying that they would prefer a bigger starting stack to avoid an early crapshoot and I also agree with them.
As for doing this to cater for the older players, this is ludicrous, condesending and quite frankly insulting. As an " older player " , if I can't compete with the younger guys because the hours are too long then I should give up and not bother competing at all.
I have done a number of 12/15 hour stints in a row, it's the nature of the game.
So, please listen to the players and increase the SS.
Oilyslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 09-04-14, 08:59   #24
4ofakind1489

Send a message via Skype™ to 4ofakind1489
Quote:
Hi 8611,

We've actually put a lot of thought into this structure and are aware that there is a huge amount of prestige associated with winning the Irish Open Mini, as well as the main event so we want to offer the best possible value for money we can. We're also very conscious of the fact that we have a lot of older players (like Doke and Mick Mc Closkey ) attending the Irish Open and we don't want to ask them to play any longer than a 12 hour shift on any one day, so we have to take that into account when deciding on the structure.

We know that a higher starting stack is viewed as a "better" structure these days but we disagree. It simply adds a different dynamic to a game, especially in the earlier stages.

With a 10,000 starting stack, if a player re-raises to 1,000 in say Level 1, then his/ her raise will force more players to fold than if the starting stack was 15,000 or 20,000. We're not saying one or the other is better, they're just a different tournament format and we believe ours is one where more aggressive players will be rewarded by winning more pots without a showdown (which actually eliminates a lot of the crapshoot factor).

If you want to have a structure where you are going to sit and wait for hours on end against players that are waiting for a lock hand, or can call for value without if affecting their stack in relation to the blinds then there is a huge selection of games available in the live event market these days. If you want a structure that encourages players to make moves, creates action and involves utilising a slightly different strategy to reward good poker play then we offer that with the Irish Open Mini.

To summarise; what we're saying is that the starting stack doesn't actually effect the playability of a structure as much as everyone might believe, it just requires a different strategy to play, rather than one being better or worse.

At the end of the day players will vote with their feet but we had a huge turnout for the first year of the Irish Open Mini last year and we're expecting an even bigger field this year (probably a full house as we'll have far more online qualifiers for the event this year too).

Hope you're all looking forward to what will be one of the best ever Irish Open festivals next Easter.

Thanks,
PPP Team.
This is a complete insult to one of the best, if not the best "grinders" in the game, I cant help but feel you've put your foot in it with that comment, but true gent he is, he prob laughs it off! Very poor Imo paddy power
Old 09-04-14, 11:54   #25
sodtheprod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ofakind1489 View Post
This is a complete insult to one of the best, if not the best "grinders" in the game, I cant help but feel you've put your foot in it with that comment, but true gent he is, he prob laughs it off! Very poor Imo paddy power
Think it was a gag mate to be honest. Wouldn't take it to heart as I don't think Doke or Mick would either...
sodtheprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 09-04-14, 14:39   #26
PaddyPowerPoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilyslick View Post
PPP, you have got to listen to your customers. Everybody commenting here is saying or implying that they would prefer a bigger starting stack to avoid an early crapshoot and I also agree with them.
As for doing this to cater for the older players, this is ludicrous, condesending and quite frankly insulting. As an " older player " , if I can't compete with the younger guys because the hours are too long then I should give up and not bother competing at all.
I have done a number of 12/15 hour stints in a row, it's the nature of the game.
So, please listen to the players and increase the SS.
In the interests of listening to our customers we can see that the vast majority want a bigger stack. We're going to increase this to 15,000 chips with the same clock. Website will be updated shortly.

With regard to players young and old, we love you all (even if you older guys are a bit grouchy ).

Thanks,
PPP Team.
PaddyPowerPoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-14, 16:01   #27
Oilyslick

Good decision and shows good flexibility, ppp.
If being grouchy gets results, then grouchy is good. :-)
Oilyslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 09-04-14, 16:31   #28
MegaSin

Are the satellites only on Saturday and where abouts in the client are they can't find them?
MegaSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-14, 20:43   #29
carfax

Send a message via MSN to carfax Send a message via Skype™ to carfax
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSin View Post
Are the satellites only on Saturday and where abouts in the client are they can't find them?
Irish Open 2014 > Irish Open Mini ... Ä5 R/A is in there alright.

The IPO is one of Europe's biggest, longest running and most enjoyable live poker festivals with huge prize-pools every year.
carfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 13-04-14, 12:54   #30
pokerhand

Quote:
In the interests of listening to our customers we can see that the vast majority want a bigger stack. We're going to increase this to 15,000 chips with the same clock. Website will be updated shortly.

With regard to players young and old, we love you all (even if you older guys are a bit grouchy ).

Thanks,
PPP Team.
Fair play to ye... I wasn't going to play this because of SS. But am playing now because the increase allows for more plays.

The value is now in
pokerhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-14, 14:16   #31
ViperEyeIRL
Ireland's number 1

10k starting stack with 45 minutes levels would have been better though
Old 13-04-14, 14:31   #32
pokerhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperEyeIRL View Post
10k starting stack with 45 minutes levels would have been better though
No... Just no.
pokerhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-14, 21:49   #33
DeeBrown

Credit where it's due for having the courage to review your decisions.
Anyone got a spare zimmer frame I could borrow?
DeeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-14, 20:00   #34
ulty77

What time this event start? Someone told me two o'clock but it says 1 on the website.
ulty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-14, 20:02   #35
dobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulty77 View Post
What time this event start? Someone told me two o'clock but it says 1 on the website.
It's 2pm. They put it in the main IO thread just underneath this thread.
dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 20-04-14, 11:25   #36
aidankk

What the latest time to buy into this , i don't see any mention.. id love to give it a spin but i cant make it for 2..
aidankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-14, 12:05   #37
puremagpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidankk View Post
What the latest time to buy into this , i don't see any mention.. id love to give it a spin but i cant make it for 2..
Website says late reg for 4 levels so thats 2hrs after start time.start time though isnt clear.down for 1pm on website and 2pm in other places
puremagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-14, 12:57   #38
bustamoves

actual start time for this anyone please??
bustamoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-14, 12:58   #39
dobby

2pm. I am in the Burlington now. Definitely 2pm
dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:

Irish Poker Boards > Poker > Live Tournaments and Events > Irish Poker Festivals