Irish Poker Boards
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Gambling > General Gambling

Old 20-02-10, 00:55   #21
ShipIt

I thought these threads were for trying to find a good bet and sharing, looking for second opinions/advice and so on and on, as regards to punting between each other I dont see the point.
If someone is cash stuck or whatver and u know him and trust him, just place the bet for him rather than standing it urself.
I fear from experience that theres only one way this can go if theres regular layers taking on regular punters.
Disputes over $50-$100 can not be beneficial to anybody. More trouble than its worth surely.
ShipIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 20-02-10, 01:39   #22
Semibluff

Its a good idea in theory. One person like chelsea. One person like United. They bet with each other, saves them going to bookie, and also means the winner will make an extra 10% or so on the bet.

It works in 2+2, and placing bets with people you know is the same theory as playing poker versus people you now.as much as you like them, you dont really mind who's money you take.

I honestly cant see many/any more bets being made in the near future. Doubt ill bother myself, hassle like this aint worth it - and the people who i know from here/trust, dont seem to have taken to it. So as good as setting some sort of process for settling bets etc, i think its pretty irrelevant as it will die off.

IF it were to work, small group of people who are well respected or have been vouched by someone who is, would place bets amongst themselves. It would be hassle free then. only when its at that stage will it work.
Semibluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-10, 02:08   #23
Eddie Durkin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semibluff View Post
Its a good idea in theory. One person like chelsea. One person like United. They bet with each other, saves them going to bookie, and also means the winner will make an extra 10% or so on the bet.

It works in 2+2, and placing bets with people you know is the same theory as playing poker versus people you now.as much as you like them, you dont really mind who's money you take.

I honestly cant see many/any more bets being made in the near future. Doubt ill bother myself, hassle like this aint worth it - and the people who i know from here/trust, dont seem to have taken to it. So as good as setting some sort of process for settling bets etc, i think its pretty irrelevant as it will die off.

IF it were to work, small group of people who are well respected or have been vouched by someone who is, would place bets amongst themselves. It would be hassle free then. only when its at that stage will it work.
Only problem with this is that those without a big roll couldn't take part. i myself have a solid enough roll these days that i can do 400-500 worth of football bets a week but i know ill get a return on some so it's not that much.

However if we did that group thing, for example me, you and tommygunne. there's no way i could lay big bets on horses, golf etc. Not just because i don't know much about them. But because i wouldn't have a roll to pay out if you won big. Know what i mean.

I also understand that placing the odd bet with someone on here might not be fair. i might do one with them and one with a bookie and ill lose every one to the bookie but ill win every one with the poster on here. That's why im now going to do ALL my football bets on here provided someone wants to lay them. If semibluff and Tommygunne want to go haffers and lay me all my football bets id have no problem with that. Id even transfer a decent sum of moeny to a 'bank' so to speak, and use the money from that. Was it luckyllyoyd who said we could use his account on stars? You two could then go haffers on any losses/winnings. Like i said, if im going to lose id much rather give my money to someone i half know than a scumbag bookie. And fwiw i would be doing AT LEAST 400e worth of bets each week. A good bit more when there is events on such as 6 nations, weeknight football etc.

Im very tired so i hope some of that made sense

Last edited by Eddie Durkin; 20-02-10 at 02:11.
Eddie Durkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-10, 02:46   #24
Hectorjelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semibluff View Post

For me its great. I refuse to ever bet in bookies because I think its very unlikely that my opinion is better than theirs, given they are experts at at and they rig it to take a vig. However I'm more than happy to bet straight up against another human. Its like the difference between Holdem and Bonus Holdem.

If I was betting for a significant amount I would only do it with escrow, or someone I know for a long time from here.

edit: Also, as someone mentioned above, id rather lose my money to TommyGunne than a bookies!
Hectorjelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-10, 10:21   #25
Eddie Durkin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectorjelly View Post
For me its great. I refuse to ever bet in bookies because I think its very unlikely that my opinion is better than theirs, given they are experts at at and they rig it to take a vig. However I'm more than happy to bet straight up against another human. Its like the difference between Holdem and Bonus Holdem.

edit: Also, as someone mentioned above, id rather lose my money to TommyGunne than a bookies!
I can't tell if this was a serious post or you where just making fun of what i said
Old 20-02-10, 10:48   #26
Elshambles
Wierdo

Why bet with someone you dont know!?
If you want to bet with someone you dont know use a bookie or Betfair
Will get the prices at Betfair you will get here + its secure

I Dont blame the mods tbh, its yer own fault, I looked at SOME of the bets being made here and it was like looking at a bunch of kids at lunch time in school

Yer man Lee may show up (hope he does!) but his bets seemed to be very much based on getting as much business as quickly as possible (was going to send a post to the the mods saying this at the time)

I wont be betting with any of ye (no offence) unless I spot a serious rick/mug (im looking at you Eddie )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectorjelly View Post
Personally, if I lose I couldnt care who gets the money be it a bookie or Bertie the cnut Ahern

Last edited by Elshambles; 20-02-10 at 10:52. Reason: another of these :)
Elshambles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-10, 10:51   #27
Ste05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Durkin View Post
I can't tell if this was a serious post or you where just making fun of what i said
serious post
Old 20-02-10, 11:13   #28
Eddie Durkin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elshambo View Post
[COLOR="Red"]im looking at you Eddie )
How am i a mug? I always have an edge
Old 20-02-10, 11:29   #29
Jackyback
Ironman

I like the idea of a small group of regular punters who have access only to place/lay bets with each other. Perhaps work on the criteria of a minimum of 5/10 bets traded without any payment issues being allowed access or as a starting point regular guys who have been posting 2+ years from here and the other place.
Jackyback is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 20-02-10, 22:37   #30
kamran akmals fanclub

Just registered today and hope to post here a bit as the boards gambling forum is septic to say the least.

Just a quick opinion:

I have no intention of getting involved in bets with other posters but i would really like to contribute to this forum as a sports gambling discussion/opinion board.

Introducing things like ID checks or banning editing (just 2 examples of suggestions made so far) will be off putting to somebody like myself who hopefully has something constructive to offer and maybe can help others make some money.

While the inter-poster bets may well be a continuing and positive thing in the forum, I personally think it will aid the growth of this place to take into accounts the needs of those of us looking only for discussion/debate. Allowing it purely to be a forum for putting up lays/bets is simply setting up an exchange without the software or the security.
kamran akmals fanclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-10, 06:00   #31
5starpool
Administrator

There will be no ID checks as they place too much responsibility on the mods which we don't want for something like this, and editing isn't something we can ban imo so that won't happen either.

There may well be guidelines, but at the end of the day, as said above it is really at the punters risk here, but if there is a way of reducing the risk somehow that is easy to do, then it should probably be done.
Old 21-02-10, 10:56   #32
Eddie Durkin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5starpool View Post
but if there is a way of reducing the risk somehow that is easy to do, then it should probably be done.
Ive already started making a list for myself to follow.

#1 - Don't bet with people from Cork and/or the surrounding area
Old 21-02-10, 11:43   #33
The C Kid

People are way over-reacting to the situation.

An incident like this was always going to happen, but it shouldn't change the way the forum is run, or need any LOL id checks or other bizarre ideas.

It's pretty simple, only bet with people you trust, or escrow first if at all worried about anything. It's your own responsibility to ensure you don't get scammed. Remember kids, safety first.
The C Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-10, 11:47   #34
Ste05

Good points being raised and as kamran akmals fanclub points out, IPB is, first and foremost, a discussion forum and that always has to come first, if something is putting people off discussing stuff then it's a bad thing. So all these ID checks and the likes are defo non runners as it stifles discussion.
Old 21-02-10, 14:16   #35
Eddie Durkin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The C Kid View Post
Remember kids, safety first.

Irish Poker Boards > Gambling > General Gambling