This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bettors reliability

Its pretty unfortunate to have to put a thread like this up, but also pretty inevitable. Ive been doing a few transfers with Lee_Arama. Every bet that i happened to have with him, we seemed to let ride on to another game. It didnt dawm to me that there may be a problem here.

At one stage i made a small transfer of 35$ to him to keep everything good. Regardless, after having two bets riding on one given night i was still owed 65$$. I sent him my details and asked him to send.

He contacted me about another bet in the mean time, but for once i wanted to hold out until i actually got paid on this one. He said it would happen asap giving an excuse.

This was over 6days ago. i had sent him another pm over this period - which he didnt respond to YET was posting in threads trying to get other bets on. This is farcical to be honest.

The last correspondence i foolishly believed (or wanted to believe him) and we placed another bet. With the promise that both bets would be settled by lunch-time today at the latest. He hasnt been online since, but its neither here nor there. (i know it was stupid of me placing another bet, but getting 1.55 on a 1.45 bet along with believing his story i went with it)

This is the third deadline he gave that he hasnt met, never mind the double or quits we had on other bets.

Hopefully no need to dig up pm's, and that all this WAS infact a complete misunderstand. Regardless, i wont be looking to place another bet with Lee, and feel it is worth bringing up for anyone else's attention.

Hopefully it is just a miss-understanding and that everything is settled asap. If so,let it be others own choice who they deal with. But i've made what i think clear.

FWIW in future no bets should be staked whilst you are still owing money. Also, no bets should be placed, unless you are in a position to repay them within 24 hours.

Gl
    GAA News Website

I was owed €100 on another site for nearly 8 months.
    I've stopped doing it now.
    Hopefully this is soon sorted
    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

My first ever bets on this forum where made with lee. I lost something like 80euro to him and at the time my online accounts were busto so i told him id pay him 4 days later which i did. I didnt make any bets while i owed him.

Last week i won a 50euro bet of him and didn't receive it. Instead i got asked quite a lot of times for double or quits which eventually i gave in, so i placed another bet with him using that 50 and of course i lost. The absurd thing about this was that while he owed me the money he continued to place bets in other threads which is ridiculous tbh.

Bets where made last night with me also with the promise of being paid today and i haven't been, so all in all i can only echo what semibluff has already said.

Has ANYONE ever received money from him from any bet on this forum? Would be interested to know.

Comment

i have never bet with him, but ive staked him a couple of times into tourneys

Comment

Thats the thing with this forum being new and not knowing who some people are, personally i wouldnt be doing bets with anyone that didnt have a good rep from boards or i didnt know irl.
          Originally posted by ArmaniJeans
          I like this heat - some proper music innit.
          None of the 'black disabled lesbian warbling backwards' stuff that the other players inflicted on me.

Comment

I've had bets with him, but only shipped to him, never received.

Sounds absolutely out of line to me. No way should people be betting while still owing money. I have no doubt that this will be sorted cos Lee is quite well known in cork from what i gather from reading here, but we defo need something to either stop people betting while they have debts. I'm sure and I very much hope its just a misunderstanding.

Maybe have a soccer forum style access thingy where access is only granted with proof of name and address, people can read if they like but not post? At least creditors would have some recourse to debts, and have more opportunity to publicly name and shame if it gets too far. That in combination with betting limits for newer posters might work. Or else €100 deposit with a respected escrow before being allowed to accept or make bets?

People know him IRL right? I know I've sat on his left in the IPO 2008 anyways.
            Foldaramus et foldarabimus

Comment

Just for clarity can people please list and link to exactly what bets are outstanding and how much is owed.

No-one is to name him should they know him IRL until we (mods) say it's OK to do so, as with everything there's always 2 sides to every story so it's important people hold off on making decisions until lee_arama has had a chance to respond/ explain etc.

As for how the forum is to be run etc. it's best to keep that discussion separate from this thread. I'll start a new thread now.

EDIT: Forgot to come back and post the link to the new thread, here it is: http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...read.php?t=602
              Last edited by Ste05; 19-02-10, 01:29.

Comment

yep he owes me money too, not much but its the principle, lost a bet to him last week and shipped immediately, was wondering what was going on, guess it makes sense now

Comment

dont see point in listing the exact bets or amounts here. theres no recourse the mods can take. we are aware its a risk we take. And hopefully if its just a confusion then he'll ship soon - but linking and quoting is unneccessary unless he tries to make others out as liars, which i doubt he will.

FWIW im only owed 130$ or so.
                  GAA News Website

Comment

How anyone can have the neck to accept a bet, delay payment and continue to look for action is beyond belief.

Comment

Wow, pretty shocked at this tbh.
                      I haven't bet with hm and I wouldn't have done either way. To date, I've made bets with 2 IPB users. Both bets are still outstanding as they are World cup bets. I have no doubt i'll be paid promptly if I win, and I hope they feel the same about me.

There are only a few here I'd bet with tbh.

Also, this business of letting bet ride is bad imo. Its very easy to put out a few bets and collect you winners and double ot nothing on the loser until you are even

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                        Wow, pretty shocked at this tbh.
                        I haven't bet with hm and I wouldn't have done either way. To date, I've made bets with 2 IPB users. Both bets are still outstanding as they are World cup bets. I have no doubt i'll be paid promptly if I win, and I hope they feel the same about me.

There are only a few here I'd bet with tbh.

Also, this business of letting bet ride is bad imo. Its very easy to put out a few bets and collect you winners and double ot nothing on the loser until you are even
                        eventually you will get even, payment should be prompt or you should have an ESCROW

Comment

Originally posted by Hornswaggl View Post
                          eventually you will get even, payment should be prompt or you should have an ESCROW
                          That was exactly my point, which is why I said it was bad
                          reading FTW

Comment

i was just posting to agree with you and make the point abount the escrow

Comment

Originally posted by Hornswaggl View Post
                              i was just posting to agree with you and make the point abount the escrow
                              Ah right, misunderstood you.
                              Agreed on the escrow, there are plenty here who would be trusted to hold cash

Comment

He has pm'd me looking letting me know that he had bets in a thread. I am not into it really as I am just used to managing my position in markets and its just a distraction. I haven't had any bets but I was starting to think there could be a problem here, it seemed like everytime I opened a thread he was looking for a bet of some sort.

Kudos to Semibluff for posting this.
                                'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

It's definitely a very unfortunate situation and one which I hope can be sorted out amicably for all concerned. Just a thought - has anyone contacted Lee_Arama to let him know about this thread? I feel it important we allow him the right to reply before potentially damaging his reputation any further.

If one good thing is to come of this at least hopefully its to spur us on to bring in some rules/guidelines for this forum to make it a better place for all. Thanks Donal for raising this.

Comment

I've made a couple of bets a week or two ago with leearama, and he paid up when he said he would totally 174 euro.

Also like eagle eye have recieved a few pm's notifying me of bets waiting in forums. Best hold off till this issue is resolved

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                      It's definitely a very unfortunate situation and one which I hope can be sorted out amicably for all concerned. Just a thought - has anyone contacted Lee_Arama to let him know about this thread? I feel it important we allow him the right to reply before potentially damaging his reputation any further.

If one good thing is to come of this at least hopefully its to spur us on to bring in some rules/guidelines for this forum to make it a better place for all. Thanks Donal for raising this.
                                      To the Irishpokerbaords owners/mods

Personally I prefer to do my gambling within the markets. If this is supposed to be a community I don't see what spirited in trying to win some other people cash . Ok you might be getting a better price against someone who A) doewn't know any better or B) someone who doesn't understand Betfair (for example) . Either way I don't see why people want to gamble with other posters on here, there are plenty of gambling site's . My suggestion is that you keep the gambling forum for tips and suggestions etc. and forbid actual gambling transactions between fellow posters using this site. Otherwise you'll have bad feeling, complaints etc. and generally your 'sense of community' that this site likes to pride itself in will be damaged. Are you offering up your site as a betting exchange with zero commission? I reckon you should think about it.

Just my 2 cents.

*Prop bets are the exception of course*

Comment

Hmm trying not to sound insensitive but this was very inevitable IMO and why I never conducted any business here. I've had a good bit of experience in the gambling industry and Im well aware that the limits of degeneracy can be boundless and reduce seemingly trustworthy people into complete wrecks.

I can see how the forum can be advantageous, especially to layers as you can lay on very few sites and your obv dodgeing the percentage betfair reduces from your winnings, but the risk level is still too high for me.

Even if a poster has a 100% record and is seen as trustworthy you never know if he's backing above his bankroll and will eventually go bust and you could be the unlucky one who is stung for a few hundred. Without full evidance of somebodies bankroll and betting record you never trually know unless it's a friend of course. I've seen other signs of a thicking time-bomb in another posters conduct (I could be completely wrong so I won't say who), but I would just urge people to proceed with extra caution.
                                        Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by Solskjaer View Post

Personally I prefer to do my gambling within the markets. If this is supposed to be a community I don't see what spirited in trying to win some other people cash . Ok you might be getting a better price against someone who A) doewn't know any better or B) someone who doesn't understand Betfair (for example) . Either way I don't see why people want to gamble with other posters on here, there are plenty of gambling site's . My suggestion is that you keep the gambling forum for tips and suggestions etc. and forbid actual gambling transactions between fellow posters using this site. Otherwise you'll have bad feeling, complaints etc. and generally your 'sense of community' that this site likes to pride itself in will be damaged. Are you offering up your site as a betting exchange with zero commission? I reckon you should think about it.

Just my 2 cents.

I had thought this was exactly what did happen in here, but since I rarely sports bet I don't read much of the stuff in here. I'm of the opinion though that while that should generally be the thrust of the place, if people want to, at their own risk, then that is their perogative. It probably operates under the principle that it is sweeter when you win money off people you actually interact with, but it is also due to better odds as well and proper betting reasons.

Comment

The reason i'd prefer to bet on here is that if im going to lose, i'd rather lose to a fellow boardsie. Also if you don't happen to have cash at that exact moment you can still get a spare of the moment bet on. No bookie would allow you to do this. Obviously this should be respected and not taken for granted.

Also lee_arama hasn't been online since the night he lost the bets to us so im still willing to believe that there must be a reasonable excuse.

Comment

Lets just wait till we hear from Lee, one way or the other

Comment

Just my 2 cents.

+1

You can't stop gambling between people but if it goes tits up then keep it to yourself...

Caveat Emptor and all that

Originally posted by Ste05 View Post

No-one is to name him should they know him
                                                Too late. Be the same as accusing Flipper and then saying don't name him. It's not a cybername
                                                Last edited by Deep Throat; 19-02-10, 14:18.

Comment

Just my 2 cents.

Disagree with this.
                                                  Originally posted by ArmaniJeans
                                                  I like this heat - some proper music innit.
                                                  None of the 'black disabled lesbian warbling backwards' stuff that the other players inflicted on me.

Comment

Originally posted by Deep Throat View Post
                                                    Too late. Be the same as accusing Flipper and then saying don't name him. It's not a cybername
                                                    Well I don't know who he is and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Also neither does google know his real name to link to this thread, it's obviously not to protect him from people who already know him IRL, it's to protect his identity from people who don't know who he is IRL.

Comment

And it is also not to late to come on and say, sorry about the delay lads, here is the money. I was having a few cashflow issues for a few days. Not too glad to have been called a welcher, but its cleared up now.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                        And it is also not to late to come on and say, sorry about the delay lads, here is the money. I was having a few cashflow issues for a few days. Not too glad to have been called a welcher, but its cleared up now.
                                                        That's why i made the point about him not being online since the bet was made. For all we know he could have a family issue or something to deal with which is understandable. But in semibluff's case, he has been waiting over a week for payment, whilst other bets were being made so that's what the problem is. I know if i had lost the bet to him the other night id have shipped the $100 straight away and im sure if semibluff lost his bet then he would have done the same.

Comment

I think it's possible that he won't be back on, this thread is extremly embarrassing if he did have a few cash flow problems. It's been blown sky high now. It would be very hard to reapear now and make a statement if that is indeed the case. Like Eddie says if it is a genuine reason he's not on it's different.

Comment

lets not get too hot and heated bout it all. its only a few hundred he owes, nothing life threatening. Also, My purpose was just to say to others not to place any other bets with him until this is all sorted, avoid any further confusion.

It isnt high treason or anything! Just a heads up for other bettors
                                                            GAA News Website

Comment

FWIW, my lofarrell accounts on either Full Tilt or Pokerstars can be used for escrowing at any time. Just drop me a PM with the details if anyone ever wants to avail of the offer.
                                                              "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by Semibluff View Post
                                                                lets not get too hot and heated bout it all. its only a few hundred he owes, nothing life threatening. Also, My purpose was just to say to others not to place any other bets with him until this is all sorted, avoid any further confusion.

I agree, what I mean is it is gonna be tough for him to cone on and admit it, be easier to stay away

Comment

Originally posted by Semibluff View Post

Fair point, and to stop things from getting too crazy while we give Lee_Arama a right of reply I'm locking this up.

Lee - PM any one of the admins or mods to have this reopened for a right to reply

Comment

Guys I got a PM from a poster on this site today

I haven't been online really in the last few weeks so have missed all the action. I just noticed the Lee Arama thread stuff today as looking in footie section. I'm not saying he's definitely going to ship money to everyone as I don't know him that well or his money situation but I do know he was very sick last 2 weeks and still is sick(think he might still be in hospital).

I'm going to ring him now and tell him about the thread so hopefully you'll get a reply when he has access to internet. Just thought I'd let ye know the story
                                                                    So hopefully this whole thing might be put to bed soon. I'll leave the thread locked for lee_arama to get in touch with any of the mods/admins and we can then reopen for the right of reply

Comment

Working...
                                                                    X