4 years and counting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
    I'm starting to think flexibility might be an issue. it's not bad, but its isn't great.
    I seen Lurker mentioned plates under heels for squats, and I must admit, I do this when going for PBs. (Is this not the same as Weight lifting shoes w/ a tilted sole).
    Off the top of my head, the main difference I could think of would be stability. With the oly shoe you've got a stable base as your whole foot is connected to the floor. Obv with plates you're bringing in an outside influence which I'd imagine would change the mechanics and possibly lateral stability of the foot. I've used plates in my time but the difference with oly shoes is unreal. Concrete feet ftw.

Any suggestions for mobility work I could do outside the gym, 20-30 mins at home stuff would be perfect.
    See my log for a list of ones I use at the gym. This list is growing exponentially. It'd defo help your flexiblity if you did them at home.

Comment

Seen that list, didn't know what half of them were tbh.
      I'll have to start googleing and work in this at home

Comment

FML,
        Friday was a horrible session

Friday - Chest/Back
        Weight was up 1.5kg on weds, I know this is just wter/food/clothes etc, but its still annoying to see

Bench
        20kg x 5
        40kg x 5
        60kg x 5
        70kg x 5
        80kg x 4
        80kg x 5

Was trying to incorporate a few things into my bench, from a Davd Tate series. Startd off great, 60 and 70kg felt light than normal. Really focusing on my back and getting in full ROM (which i haven't been doing on 80kg+ if i'm honest). Then 80kg was going great but on the last rep I wasn't concentrating and the bar took the wrong path and i couldn't recover, had to dump it on the lower hooks. Repeat the weight and unhook the bar my left arm twitched, so I was arse ways before even the first rep. I pushed out 5 but they weren't my best

Pull-ups
        BW x 6 x 2
        BW x 5 x 2

Felt really weak on the 4th set so stopped there. I imagine its a cmbo of confidance rocked from benching and back being more involved in he benching this time.
        That's one pro/con for me, if the first set goes bad, i'm in a bad frame of mind for the rest of the session, if it goes great I tend to gets PBs everywhere.

DB Incline Bench
        22.5kg x 8 x 5

Yup, that's a deload, crushed it so feeling a bit better

T-Bar Row
        40kg x 8 x 2
        50kg x 8 x 2

Been using the actual T-bar lately, find it better than a oly bar in a cornor. Plus this one you lie on so it totally isolates the lats.

Chest Dips
        BW x 10 x 5

Cable Lat work (bench assist)
        8 x 8 increasing weight working up to 4 work sets at max I can manage with good form.
        not sre of the excercise, sort of a pull down, but arms are out straight, focus on lats, rom isn't huge. It's to help with unloading the bar and Dave Tate shows it in the bench series

I'm giving today a miss, prob break till tomorrow or maybe tuesday. (monday is poker)
        repeated

Comment

Tuesday - Legs & Shoulders

Stretching - 15 mins

Squats
          20kg x 5 x 2
          60kg x 5
          100kg x 5
          120kg x 5
          125kg x 5 x 2 *PB*

125 is now the most i've ever had on the bar. Good for 130 too imo
          Was a little shaky on the second set due to adjust feet too much

Overhead Press
          40kg x 5
          47.55kg x 5
          52.55kg x 5
          55kg x 5

Singles - Race to BW press
          60kg x 2 (1 push press, 1 clean rep)
          65kg x 1 (push, fail a second rep)

Left out 57.5 to keep something for singles
          Have never hard more that 57.5kg on the bar till today.

Calf Raises
          5 sets of 12, weight increasing

Shoulder Press
          27.5 x fail
          25kg x 7
          20kg x 12
          22.5kg x 8 x 2

LoL, well that was a mess. Got mixed up and thought I was moving up to 27.5kg, checking my log it should of been up to 25kg. I actually though my shoulders were wrecked from OHP and that I was dropping to 22.5kg when in fact that was my normal weight. 25kg x 8 x 4 next week

Single Leg/Pistol Squats (with TRX for balance)
          8reps x 4 sets each leg

Front Raises
          25kg x 8 x 3

Handstand Press up negitives
          4 reps
          4 fails to get back up balanced (time to call it a night)

Metcon tonight, stuck for options

Comment

Weds - Metcon

Crossfit Barbara
            5 rounds of;

20 Pull-ups
            30 Press ups
            40 Sit ups
            50 Squats

3 mins rest between rounds

Time: 40m40s (28m40s taking out rest)
            not sure which way is the official way to score, total time or work time. Happy with the above though.
            The pull ups were done neutral grip, the first round was in 2 sets, the last in 4 sets. I split the middle press ups into 2 sets (avoid muscle fatigue), first and last were straight through. Sit ups, well crunches, were straight through as were squats.

Diet
            Don't post much on diet, generally its pretty good.
            Sometimes I over do the carbs. But going to introduce a v.high protein day to balance. Today;

Breakfast: 4 bolied eggs
            Lunch: Chicken caprese salad with avocado,
            Protein Shake
            Workout
            Dinner: Lean beef, pan fried with spices, salad mix and fat free dressing.
            Snack: Cottage Cheese, Nuts

About 200g protein,
            Last edited by Mellor; 21-01-11, 00:11.

Comment

Thurs - Chest Back

Bench
              20kg x 5
              40kg x 5
              60kg x 5
              70kg x 5 x 5

Weight dropped back a bit, extra sets and focusing more to better form and ROM. both of which were best in a while. Work back up to hopefuly 85kg in 2.5kg weekly jumps.

Pull-ups
              BW x 5 x 5

Decline Bench
              40kg x 5
              60kg x 5
              70kg x 5 x 2

See note/rant below

T - Bar row
              30kg x 8
              40kg x 8
              50kg x 8 x 2

Arms felt weird at this point. Not in lots of pain, just a sort of sore numbness. Only seams bad after I take off the load, not during reps. (stays for rest of session)

DB Chest Flys
              20kg x 8 x 4

Inverted Rows
              BW x 12 x 5

Haven't been doing decline lately. Mostly because the decline bench is not adjustable and designed for somebody slightly bigger. Because of this the top hook is too high, the second one too low. And my body too far in front of the bar.
              so why did I use it today. 'cos when I turned my back to get weights (5 secs) some fag jumped onto my incline bench and I wasn't arsed explaining. When he proceeded to do DB bicep curls, I was a bit pissed considering there was two DB benchs free beside it.

Also; Dexa scan today. Looking forward to getting a BF% figure, should of done it a year ago. Don't know what to expect, guess is 18-22%

Comment

... Dexa scan today. Looking forward to getting a BF% figure, should of done it a year ago. Don't know what to expect, guess is 18-22%
                A bit meh, came in at 22.5%
                So roughly where I was expecting. I was a little disappointed at first not to be in the teens, but its prob not too bad really. As the measured figure has no affect on how I look or preform, but a higher figure should be easier to improve and also has better potential for BW to strength ratios (assuming that lifts stay the same if I loss Xkg of fat, I assunme they would.

Current Stats
                Current weight: 80.5kg
                Body Fat: 22.5%

Assuming lean mass is roughly the same 75kg would be about 16.5%, 70kg is about 10%. Something to aim for, Unsure if i'll get there. Even at a steady losso f .5kg a week it'll still take a few months

Comment

Tues - Legs/Shoulders

Squats
                  20kg x 5
                  60kg x 5
                  80kg x 4
                  100kg x 3
                  120kg x 2
                  125kg x 5 x 5

Lots of volume there, reduced reps on wamr up so that i'd be my best for 125kg, 5 x 5 got them all but wasn't easy

Overhead Press
                  20kg x 5
                  40kg x 5
                  50kg x 5
                  55kg x 5
                  55kg x 5 x 3

Plan was a work up to 57.5kg similar to squats, but I knew after 40kg that I was a bit drained, missed a rep on final set also, i'm gonna alternate my volume between squats and OHP for a while from now

Calf Raises

Shoulder Press
                  22.5kg x 8 x 4

Got them all with good form, was planning a move to 25kg, but after the previous two I decided to skip, glad to complete with ease, 25kg next week

Single Leg/Pistol Squats (with TRX for balance)
                  8reps x 3 sets each leg

Front Raises
                  22.5kg x 8 x 2

*superseted with*

Side raise
                  7.5kg x 12 x 2

Comment

I'm jealous of how much you can squat.

Comment

Weds was australia day, and was sick on thurs so missed a bit this week.
                      I mention in Emmets log about Oat Pancakes, so I said I'd put the recipe up here, as well as a few comments on breakfast in general.

There days my breakfast is normally either oats or eggs. Both are great imo.
                      Oats are complex carbs and so provide a slower release of energy compare to cugar breakfast cereals. (Special K is no better than cornflakes, most muesli is full of sugar). I generally make it up with water, some rather milk. And often add fruit or similar. Add a big spoon of sugar is sort of cancelling the benefit, so honey >> sugar, berries >> jam etc. I have added protein powder before to up the protein content, and a bit of flavour if using chocolate protein etc.
                      Another way to up protein is to have it with a egg. The following recipe is basically, all that trown into one.

Oat Pancakes
                      Base ingredients;
                      50-100g Oats, any kind works
                      1 egg
                      Water or milk, water gives a lighter texture
                      Optional ingredients listed below

If you have a food processor, or hand mixer, give the oats a quick blitz to turn it into a sort of oat flour. If you don't have a mixer, then its best to leave the whole oats soaking in a small bit of water to soften.
                      Crack in the egg and mix it throughly.
                      Next add the water or milk and mix it up. You'll want to keep the mix quite thick, as they don't cook well when too runny.

Leave to mixture to thicken for a hour in the fridge if you wish. Not a must, but I find its good to make the mix the ngiht before and cook in the morning.

Heat a non stick frying pan to medium heat and give it a spray of oil (I always use spray oil as a little goes further, a good pan might not need it)
                      Spoon in the mix into the pan to make up small, thick pancakes. flipping them over to when the bottom is done. Don't have the heat too high, or else the outside with be over cooked when the inside is still wet.

Serve what ever way you like. Basicaly what ever you throw into the porridge works well, honey, berries. My fav is poached blueberries. Peanut (or any nut) butter is popular

They are handy to cook a batch up and then heat in the toaster when need.
                      Basically, uyou need to play around with the amounts, and consistancy until you get it the way you like it. Plus there's the variations below.

Variations
                      As I said thats the basic recipe, don't be afraid to experiment, here are some things that I or others have added.
                      Cottage CheeseSounds strange, but its good. A spoon or two in the mix gives it a nice texture and adds protein. I'd do this most of the time, and occasional serve with cottage cheese over the top for a savoury option.
                      Protein powder - Protein hit plus a bit of flavour from what ever powder you have.
                      Psysilum Husk - A fibre supp low carbers often take, its good stuff. Throwing it in here is a good way to get your daily amounts in. You need more water as the husk really thickens it up, also best to let rest after mixing
                      Berries - Squash a few berries and toss them into the before cooking
                      Chocolate chips - If you have a sweet tooth. Add them after you pour the mix into the pan, push down into the top side (other wise them start to burn).

Comment

Any tips on no/low carb protein powder/shakes too?

The breakfast looks good, especially like the idea of making a batch and having them to toast on mornings in a rush, not always possible to get up and make a full meal to start the day!

Comment

I threw up too suggestions for protein shakes in your log, both have pretty low carbs so should be fine for Keto diet.
                          Yeah having a batch mad and tossing a few into the toaster is handy when running out the door. Obviously the oats mean that you can only have them on carb reload days

Chest/Back tonight, hopefully all goes well

Comment

Friday - Chest/Back

Bench
                            20kg x 5
                            40kg x 5
                            60kg x 5
                            72.5kg x 5 x 5

All reps were fine. Full ROM, bar touching chest etc.
                            Hopefully I can work all the way to 85kg like this

Pull-ups
                            BW x 5 x 5

A few 6s in there too

Incline Bench
                            40kg x 5
                            50kg x 5
                            60kg x 5
                            65kg x 5 x 2

Was planning a final set at 70kg, but was starting to tire at this stage.
                            Hopefully I can get to a BW incline bench, sort of a steppign stone to BW press

T - Bar row
                            40kg x 8
                            50kg x 8 x 4

Cable Chest Flys
                            8 x 5

Good Mornings
                            20kg x 8
                            30kg x 8
                            40kg x 8
                            50kg x 8

Was a little cautious doing these, was first time so had no idea what weight to use.

Sunday was a mess, too many pints, and a kebab on the way home, i think??

Comment

Gonna try get a few PBs tonight,

130kg x 5 Squat
                              25kg DB Press
                              57.5kg x 5 Press with good form

Edit later to see how I got on

Comment

Tues - Legs/Shoulders

Squat
                                20kg x 8 x 2
                                60kg x 5
                                80kg x 5
                                100kg x 5
                                110kg x 5
                                120kg x 5
                                130kg x 5 *PB*

Concentrating on full depth throughout. Didn't help that it was a 40 degrees earlier that day and I was sweating by the 80kg set. 130kg was tough, new max lift, nearly got stuck half way up for the final rep but with a struggle got it up. I've never failed squat rep, so was a bit worried about how I'd get out of it.

Overhead Press
                                20kg x 5
                                40kg x 5
                                47.5kg x 5
                                52.5kg x 5
                                57.5kg x 5

57.5kg was better this time, form not no means perfect, but that's expect at top end. I was planning on more, but 3 guys had asked me how long I hand left, and i'd already done 10 sets in the rack (always do OHP in the rack)

Calf Raises

Shoulder Press
                                25kg x 8 x 5

Was expecting to fail the last two but got them all out, i'll repeat it a few tiems to get it more comfortable.

Single Leg/Pistol Squats
                                8reps x 3 sets each leg

Side raise
                                8kg x 12 x 3

Happy with the session. Stil improving at a steady pace.
                                I came accross this site for flexibility and mobility.

Apparently its very good. It give a different excercise everyday. Some of them look very advanced so I suggest going back to day one which is putting 10 mins at the bottom of a full squat.

Metcon tonight, need to think of something

Comment

Weds - Metcon/Mobility

Short session today

Warm-up

Stretching
                                  Foam rolling
                                  Mobility work - 5 mins in full squat

Legs were all pins and needles after 5 min squat, prob not a good idea right before the metcon i planned

Metcon - CF Jackie
                                  1000m Row
                                  20kg Thrusters x 50
                                  Pull-ups x 30

Time: 15mins (roughly, see below)

Bike
                                  10mins moderate pace

Mobility - Another 5 min squat

Core work
                                  1 min Prone Bridge, 1 min rest
                                  Repeat 3 times

Review:
                                  Mobility work actually helped imo, going to try continue it further

Metcon. The row came in just under 4 mins, could of gone closer to 3.30, but needed to hold back to finish the rest. Thrusters were hard, don't like them, but was able to get in way below parallel ROM with only 20kg. Took 3 sets. Pull-ups were a struggle dur to zero energy. I was at 9 mins starting the pull-ups, but timer stopped when I dropped the phone. Need to get a stop watch.
                                  This is going to be kept on my regular rotation of metcons, goal is sub 10 mins. I think its doable, need to get thrusters and pull-ups to 3 mins a piece. Any more off row will cause the lot to suffer.

Comment

Thurs

Diet
                                    BF: 4 eggs omlette with 60g cottage cheese

Lunch: 200g Chicken, 60g Cottage cheese, mixed salad

PWO: 2 scoops whey, coffee

Dinner: Mince beef, onions, pakrika, cumin and cayenne peppers, with 60g Cottage cheese wrapped in lettuce leaves, pretty much no carb wraps

Snack: 50g almonds

Lots of water

Workout:
                                    Chest & Back

Aiming for 75kg x 5 x 5 work sets
                                    Fill in details later

Comment

Here's lastnights workout

Bench
                                      20kg x 5
                                      40kg x 5
                                      60kg x 5
                                      75kg x 5 x 5

Full rom every rep touched chest. Feeling good about geting back to 80kg+ with full reps.

Pull-ups
                                      BW x 6 x 5

Tried to kip a few, and only managed 5 on them, just can't do them at all
                                      I think kips are the key to low CF metcon times tbh

Incline DB Bench
                                      25kg x 8
                                      27.5kg x 8 x 4 *PB*

T - Bar row
                                      30kg x 12
                                      40kg x 12
                                      50kg x 12 x 3

Chest Dips
                                      BW x 12 x 4

Think thats the most i've every managed!!

Good mornings
                                      30kg x 8
                                      40kg x 8
                                      50kg x 8 x 2

Still a little nervous doing these. Should prob be in the rack for safety.
                                      Had to clean the weight up and press it to a squat position. Worried i won't have the energy to press it back over. But was ok.

Rest day today, prob get some heds up cash action going

Comment

Great work. Theoretically speaking, you should have that 150 squat in the bag now. No doubt the strength is there. Cheers for that mobility site. Very good.

I'd treat the good mornings the same as a squat with regards to using a rack fwiw.

Comment

Yeah, i've ran the numbers through a few 1rm calcs. results range from 147-151 I think. If i'm fresh enough I'll get it I think. Might do some singles soon, the most i've had on the bar is still my 5 rep max.

I'm going to swict up days for a while soon, but chest with shoulders, legs with back, GMs in the rack etc. But chest and shoulder pressing on the same day was an issue before.

The mobility site is great, just can't keep up with it tbh

Comment

Tues - Legs/Shoulders

Bit ogf a meh session. Weight-in at 83, which is 2kg up on last week, I know its just food, bloat etc, but still pisses me off.

Squats
                                            20kg x 5
                                            60kg x 5
                                            80kg x 5
                                            100kg x 5
                                            120kg x 5
                                            130kg x 5 x 2

Squats were ok, wanted to get 3 sets on final set, but didn't think I had it.

Overhead Press
                                            20kg x 5
                                            40kg x 5
                                            50kg x 5
                                            57.5kg x 5
                                            57.5kg x 5 (last two fews were push pressed)

Was looking for multi sets on 57.5kg, just didn't have it.

Single Leg Squats
                                            10 reps x 3 sets each leg

Shoulder Press
                                            25kg x 8
                                            22.5kg x 8 x 4

First the first set, but only just. Dropped to 22.5kg but it felt easy. Think i might of made a mess at getting bells into place on the first set.
                                            Focused on slow reps and extra ROM, as far down as possible, to get the most from 22.5kg, was done by the end.

Calf Raises

Front Raises
                                            15kg x 12, 15, 18

Lower weight, lower speed, more reps.

Felt a bit sick during the second half, but fine once I finsihed.
                                            Energy wasn't great in general, but hopefully I can get top weight x3 in Squats and OHP next week.

Edit:
                                            Forgot to include sone BW stuff I did later at home
                                            Handstand Press-up - Couple of reps with partial ROM,
                                            Scap Push-up - 15 reps
                                            BW Squats - 50 reps (in one set)
                                            Last edited by Mellor; 09-02-11, 03:46.

Comment

Weds - Metcon

Rower workblock
                                              4 mins row
                                              3 mins rest
                                              2 mins row
                                              30 seconds rest
                                              1 min row
                                              3 mins rest
                                              2 mins row
                                              30 seconds rest
                                              4 mins row

Total Distance - 3421m
                                              Happy with that, the last 4 min section was my slowest, but was still above 1000m. Was interesting as I had to hold back of 2 min sections as the rest was only 30 secions, esp tough before a 4 min section.

Metcon
                                              400m run
                                              24kg KettleBell swings x 24
                                              12 pull ups
                                              3 rounds for time

Total Time - 16.30 (estimate)
                                              I only checked the time at the start of the second round, wasn't my best due to the rower work obviously.

10 Clean and press with a medicine ball
                                              Not hard at all obv, only reason its there is a Athletic skill Levels chart I found over at CrossfitSeattle.com I wanted to psysically do the medicine ball cleans to offically pass lvl one, one or two more to do.

Farmers walk
                                              24kg Kettle Bells x 2, 60m x 3
                                              60m was a c.15m distance x 4 each time, the second half of the final 60m i dropped twice. Kettle bells are good for this as they have bigger handles than dumbells, better for forearms and grip training.

Comment

Thurs - Chest/Back

Bench
                                                20kg x 5
                                                40kg x 5
                                                60kg x 5
                                                77.5kg x 5 x 5

Next week is a big step

Pull-ups
                                                BW x 6 x 5

Static Hang
                                                30 secs - Will hopefully help with griop strength, was tough after pull-ups. This was also on the CF skills list

Incline DB Bench
                                                30kg x 8 x 4 *PB*
                                                4th set just had it in me, wouldn't of finished a 5th, but still nice weight for incline

T - Bar row
                                                30kg x 12
                                                40kg x 12
                                                55kg x 12 x 3

I do these with an actual T-bar and not a barbell, so there bar weigtht on top. I do it that way mainly because its easier to keep good position not use legs.

Chest Dips
                                                BW x 15,15,14,10

15 dips is a another PB, fell of towards end, wasn't concentrating for 4th set

Good mornings - machine
                                                35kg x 12
                                                45kg x 12
                                                50kg x 12 x 2

Here is the 4 levels of athletic skill I refered to

Have one or two more to do in level 1, some of level 2 done anyway.

Comment

Tuesday - Legs/Shoulders

Squat
                                                  20kg x 5 x 2
                                                  60kg x 5
                                                  100kg x 3
                                                  120kg x 2
                                                  130kg x 5 x 5

first time getting 5x5 out at 130kg. Was tough. There was the odd bad rep where I struggled a bit, too far forward but was trying to keep depth good throughout.

PowerClean to Overhead press
                                                  40kg x 5
                                                  45kg x 5
                                                  50kg x 5
                                                  55kg x 0 (missed the powerclean)

Cleaning the weight up each set is defo harder then rack. Esp when my clean is terribad. Missed 55kg, was too tired I to co-ordinate it. So finsihed off with;

Seated press
                                                  50kg x 5
                                                  55kg x 5

Never used the seated press rack before. A bit worried as the bar sits behind your head. I lean back a little to get it up then rep 5 times from the top. On the positive side, as i'm seated I can't push press it, so 5 strict reps at 55kg might be a first.

Calf Raises
                                                  12 x 4,

Dumbbell Shoulder press
                                                  25kg x 8 x 4

Single Leg Squats

DB Lateral raise
                                                  8kg x 10 x 3

Diet;
                                                  Almost zero carbs. Except for lunch as I was out at a meeting and went for nachos, beef avocado is win right. not the best option and should of gotten the salad. gonna try to keep it up until fri.

Comment

Weds - Metcon/Core

CF - Jackie
                                                    1000m Row
                                                    50 x 20kg Thrusters
                                                    30 Pull-ups
                                                    Time : 11:00

Happy with that, that's 4 mins off the time from last time. Sub 10 is there soon. It's a lot easier when you pace it properly.

Core work
                                                    L-Sit - Can't do these at all. Tried to do it on the leg raise station and felt a strain in triceps so dropped it and stretched it out for a while.

Clapping push-ups
                                                    10 x 3

Barbell Ab rollouts
                                                    10 x 3 (from knees)

Medcine Ball twists
                                                    8kg x 50, 40, 30, 20, 10
                                                    *supersetted with*
                                                    Bicycle Crunches
                                                    x 50, 40, 30, 20, 10

The movement to both sides counts as a rep for each. Rest periods got shorter as reps decreased.

Tricep strain was gone my the end of it, but I have have an "oh fuck" moment. It was like I over-tensed it, and couldn't fully relax it. not sore but uncomfortable, happen befroe on calfs when I when up on my toes after heavy deadlifts.
                                                    Feels fine today, so going ahead with bench session tonight, but lower back is tender. tuesday doms?
                                                    Last edited by Mellor; 16-02-11, 23:09.

Comment

I also find L sits really tough. Those and hanging leg raises where your feet touch the bar. Can't do them either. I'll try again soon.

Well done on 130 5x5. Definitely good for 150 now. I'd say that's why your lower back is tender alright.

Comment

Thurs - Chest/Back

Bench
                                                        20kg x 5
                                                        40kg x 4
                                                        60kg x 3
                                                        70kg x 2
                                                        80kg x 5 x 5 *PB*

5 x 5 is a PB for sets, best was 3 sets @80kg previously. But I was defo high before. Just to ensure i got the last reps of each set. Last nite almost every one of the reps physically touched my chest.

Pull-ups
                                                        BW x 6, 7, 7, 6, 5

After the frist set, i was thinking "I could of got another rep there easy). So the next two I hit 7 reps. Which is *PB* for pull-ups (forward grip).

Incline DB Bench
                                                        30kg x 8, 8, 7, 6

Incline DB row
                                                        15kg x 12 x 4

Changed it up a bit, rowing face down on an incline bench. Rowing towards neck not stomach, keeping elbows out. This should target scaps more and biceps less. So lower weight as it obvious harder.

Tricep Pulldowns
                                                        5 sets 12 reps increasing up to max

Single arm pull downs
                                                        Low weight, high rep, two each arm

Felt chest got enough, so just some quick sets to finish off my triceps.

T - Bar row
                                                        40kg x 12
                                                        45kg x 12
                                                        50kg x 12 x 2

Comment

Well done Mellor on the bench pb, your 80kg is now my 50kg struggle lol.

Comment

Tues - Legs/Shoulders

Squats
                                                            20kg x 5
                                                            60kg x 5
                                                            100kg x 5
                                                            120kg x 5
                                                            130kg x 5
                                                            140kg x 2 *PB*
                                                            100kg x 5

I was trying to focus on getting hips down, as sometimes I tend to lean forward at the ankles. But I couldn't really focus as was slightly worried that I might rip sitches in lip, just due to pressure everywhere.
                                                            Think I might wat that elitefts series on squats, as the bench series helped a lot.

Seated Press
                                                            20kg x 5
                                                            40kg x 5
                                                            50kg x 5
                                                            55kg x 5
                                                            57.5kg x 5

Happy with 57.5 as there was no push press here, obviously. ROM was good too

Calf Raises
                                                            4 sets of 12, max weight

DB Shoulder Press
                                                            25kg x 8 x 4

Single Leg Squats

DB Reverse Flys

10kg x 12 x 3

Comment

Weds - Metcon/Core

Farmers Walk
                                                              10kg plates, 20kg plates, powerbar

Basically getting the metcon set up served as a warmup. Multi-tasking

Metcon
                                                              500m Row
                                                              80kg Deadlifts x 12
                                                              Box Jumps x 21 (knee height)
                                                              3 rounds for time
                                                              Time: 14:45

I took this from the levels, it didn't have weight attached or height so made it tough. FML it was harder than I expected. Just legs, legs, legs. ?None of the excercises are paticularly hard, but it there is zero rest and constantly fireing hams and quads

KettleBell Snatch
                                                              10kg x 10
                                                              12kg x 10
                                                              16kg x 16
                                                              24kg x 5

All sets repeated each arm.
                                                              Was first time trying this out, could of done more at 16kg, but hands were sweaty didn't want it to let fky. 24kg was a killer.

Core
                                                              Prone Bridges x 3
                                                              c.1min each

Comment

Thurs - Chest/Back

Bench
                                                                20kg x 5
                                                                40kg x 4
                                                                60kg x 3
                                                                70kg x 2
                                                                82.5kg x 5 x 5,5,5,4 *PB*

82.5kg for reps. I've lifted it before but only for 1 set and 1 or 2 reps were questionable. This time reps were pretty solid. I'll try 85 next week and then evaluate is i manage to get out 5 x 3 (doubtful)

Pull-ups
                                                                BW x 7, 7, 7, 7, 5

Incline Bench
                                                                20kg x 5
                                                                40kg x 5
                                                                60kg x 5
                                                                70kg x 5 x 2

T-Bar Row
                                                                30kg x 12
                                                                40kg x 12
                                                                50kg x 12
                                                                55kg x 12

Standing Tricep Extension
                                                                20kg x 12 x 3

Shrugs
                                                                30kg x 12, 15, 21

Weight has been a bit mad this week. Last thurs was around 82.5kg
                                                                tuesday i was 83, wed 84, and fri 85. Obviously I amn't putting on this kind of weight. Pretty much all food and water retention. Grabbed a bag of psylium husk to see if I can, ahem, works itself out.

Comment

Tues - Legs/Shoulders

Seated Press
                                                                  20kg x 5
                                                                  40kg x 5
                                                                  50kg x 5
                                                                  60kg x 5 *PB*
                                                                  60kg x 3

SPOILER
                                                                  Started with the press for a change. 60kg for 5 locked out. Seated so no push press too. Simply did not a repeat in me, could barely unrack it to begin.

Squats
                                                                  20kg x 5
                                                                  60kg x 5
                                                                  100kg x 5
                                                                  120kg x 5
                                                                  130kg x 5

135kg x 1
                                                                  140kg x 1
                                                                  145kg x 1 *PB*

SPOILER
                                                                  I really made an effort to get full depth in here. Had the pins set 1" below full depth so used them as a marker.
                                                                  140kg single was full, so that's prob a real PB of the double last week.
                                                                  i had one more in me and had to decide between 150 or 145. Took the easy option. Depth was good, and was slow getting up the first 1/3, a guy waiting for me to finish moved to help me and was met with a grunt of "I have it". Wanted that PB

DB Shoulder Press
                                                                  25kg x 8 x 4

SPOILER
                                                                  Time to try 27.5kg

Single Leg Squats

Cardio
                                                                  Run - 3k in 15mins

SPOILER
                                                                  Dropping the assistance stuff for a while and subbing in post weight cardio for try trim down.

Comment

Metcon Wednesday

Warm-up
                                                                    Plenty of foam rolling. Quads are sore.

Metcon
                                                                    Straight through for time
                                                                    1000m Row
                                                                    16kg K-bell Snatch x 35
                                                                    750m Row
                                                                    16kg K-bell Snatch x 20
                                                                    500m Row
                                                                    16kg K-bell Snatch x 50

Time: About 18 mins
                                                                    I was alternating arms to break up the snatches.
                                                                    Need to get chalk for the snatches, k-bells get slippy.

400m Sprint
                                                                    Time:1:27 *PB*

Bridges
                                                                    Prone x 90sec
                                                                    Left side x 60
                                                                    Right side x 60

BW Squats
                                                                    100 reps straight through

Legs were on fire for the last 20

Comment

Thurs - Chest/Back

Had to rush this session as was heading to a poker game. Which was cancelled pissing me off that I missed some gym time.

Bench
                                                                      20kg x 5
                                                                      40kg x 5
                                                                      60kg x 5
                                                                      80kg x 3
                                                                      85kg x 5 x 2 *PB*
                                                                      80kg x 5

SPOILER
                                                                      85kg first try nice one. Got a repeat too, although t not perfect. Barely locked out the 5th on the second so dropped to 80kg as there was no chance of getting a third at 85kg.

Pull-ups
                                                                      BW x 7, 5, 6,

SPOILER
                                                                      A bit rushed, tried a wide grip for the second, no good

Incline Bench
                                                                      20kg x 5
                                                                      40kg x 5
                                                                      60kg x 5
                                                                      70kg x 3 *disaster* see below

SPOILER
                                                                      Was going ok, a bit drained from the flat bench and on he 4th rep of 70kg the bar smacked into the lowest J hook. Really bounced off it so I losr all momentum and had to re-rack, ugh

T-Bar Row
                                                                      30kg x 12
                                                                      40kg x 12
                                                                      50kg x 12
                                                                      60kg x 12 *PB* I think

Left it at that. I was planning of a few more sets of each and a 3-5k run. Must get another sessino in this week

Comment

Tues - Legs/Shoulders

Squats
                                                                        20kg x 5
                                                                        60kg x 5
                                                                        100kg x 5
                                                                        120kg x 5
                                                                        135kg x 5 x 3 *PB*

SPOILER
                                                                        I watched EliteFTS squat series yesterday. And it made a difference. Some of it was obvious and I was aware already. But there were 3 key elements that I felt madea big difference.
                                                                        135 felt solid. Not easier, just I was more rigid so could focus more on leg strength

Seated Press
                                                                        20kg x 5
                                                                        40kg x 5
                                                                        50kg x 5
                                                                        60kg x 5
                                                                        50kg x 5

Deadlifts
                                                                        60kg x 5
                                                                        100kg x 5
                                                                        120kg x 5
                                                                        130kg x 5

165kg x fail

SPOILER
                                                                        First time doing these since Dec due to not having chalk, found a set of straps so brought them back in this week. 130kg x 5 is equal to my best set. Would of liked to get 165kg for a single PB, but suppose it was a big ask after shifting almost 7000kg

DB Shoulder Press
                                                                        27.5 x 7
                                                                        25kg x 8 x 3

SPOILER
                                                                        Will get 27.5kg for a few full sets soon. Getting to the stage where getting them to shoulder level is the hardest part.

Cardio
                                                                        Run - 3k in 14:43mins

Comment

Metcon Weds

Stretching - Convict squats, side lunges, shoulder dislocates

Crossfit Barbara
                                                                          5 rounds for time of;

20 Pull-ups
                                                                          30 Press ups
                                                                          40 Sit ups
                                                                          50 Squats

3 mins rest between rounds

Time: 35:45

SPOILER
                                                                          That's 5 mins quicker than last time. I did much more of the sets straight through. All the sit-ups and squats and I only split 2 sets of press-ups. All pull-ups were split (number of sets for each rd were 2/2/3/3/4) as I am not close to able for 20 pull-ups

Core
                                                                          Prone bridges x 2, as long as possible, maybe 90secs

Kettlebells

Highpull/Snatch Drills
                                                                          16kg x 9 each arm
                                                                          20kg x 9 each arm

SPOILER
                                                                          Seen this drill online, really help. Basically you do a high pull with kbell close to body, a higher pull and then punch through for a snatch on the third rep. Repeat 3 times, 9 reps total

Kettlebell snatch
                                                                          20kg x 8 each arm
                                                                          16kg x 12 each arm

SPOILER
                                                                          20kg felt easy enough. Kbells can be trick as the centre of gravity moves about but hopefully keeping at them improves stablising muscles. Obvious benefits here

Comment

Thurs - Chest/Back

Bench
                                                                            20kg x 5
                                                                            40kg x 5
                                                                            60kg x 5
                                                                            70kg x 4
                                                                            80kg x 3
                                                                            85kg x 3

95kg single failure (see below)

SPOILER
                                                                            Was planning on testing a single so kept the 80 ans 85kg sets light. Rested a bit, loaded up 95kg. Look around for a spotter, seen this reg and called him over, huge black guy in savage shape. Told him I was trying a single and its gonna be slow but don't grab the bar until i shout. Got under it, got ready and asked him to give me a hand to unrack.
                                                                            Lowered it and pressed it up slow and he just gabs the thing and lifts, then let be do negitives for a few reps. It could of been the accent, but I don't think he knew what I was planning. I'm about 50/50 on if I got it or not

Pull-ups
                                                                            BW x 8, 6, 6, 5,

Cable Flys
                                                                            5 heavy sets, 8 reps

T-Bar Row
                                                                            40kg x 12
                                                                            50kg x 12 x2
                                                                            60kg x 12

Cardio
                                                                            3k treadmill - 14:19

SPOILER
                                                                            Cardio fitness is still there apparently. I can keep 5min pace after squat day and energy for fairly low here but managed a decent time

Comment

A little story about the Kuna Ironman

A Son asked his father, "Dad, will you take part in a marathon with me?" The father who, despite having a heart condition, says "Yes". They went on to complete the marathon together. Father and son went on to join other marathons. The father always saying "Yes" to his son's request of going through the race together. One day, the son asked his fater, "Dad, let's join the Ironman together."

To which, his father said "Yes".

For those who don't know, Ironman is the toughest triathlon ever. The race encompasses three endurance events of a 2.4 mile (3.86 kilometer) ocean swim, followed by a 112 mile (180.2 kilometer) bike ride and ending with a 26.2 mile (42.195 kilometer) marathon along the coast of the Big Island.

Father and son went on to complete the race together!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBjR1-0GVkI[/ame]

Comment

Yeah i had seen that before amazing stuff as if it was not hard enough!!

Comment

Tues - Legs/Shoulders

Squats
                                                                                  40kg x 5
                                                                                  60kg x 5
                                                                                  100kg x 5
                                                                                  120kg x 5
                                                                                  135kg x 5
                                                                                  140kg x 5 *PB*

SPOILER
                                                                                  Was going for a triple at 140kg, felt i could get two more, form was reasonable, but not perfect.

Standing OH Press
                                                                                  20kg x 5
                                                                                  40kg x 5
                                                                                  50kg x 5
                                                                                  60kg x 4
                                                                                  50kg x 8

SPOILER
                                                                                  4 reps at 60kg is a PB for standing. I find it a lot harder than seated. Obviously due to the lack of support to the back. I'll just keep at it to build up core strength

Seated Calf raise
                                                                                  40kg x 12 x 2
                                                                                  50kg x 12 x 2

DB Shoulder Press
                                                                                  25kg x 8 x 4

Cardio
                                                                                  Rower
                                                                                  500m x 3, 2-3min rest between
                                                                                  Times:
                                                                                  1:50.0
                                                                                  1:55.5
                                                                                  1:49.1

SPOILER
                                                                                  Legs just went after 250m each time. Thank you squats and calf raises

Comment

Tues - Chest/Back

Bench
                                                                                    20kg x 5
                                                                                    40kg x 5
                                                                                    60kg x 5
                                                                                    70kg x 5
                                                                                    80kg x 5
                                                                                    85kg x 3, 4

SPOILER
                                                                                    disappointed to drop back a bit on 85kg. But it's nearly two weeks since I benched and with Future Music, and Paddys weekend being fairly excessive its not totally unexpected

Pull-ups
                                                                                    BW x 7, 7, 7, 6, 6

Chest Dips
                                                                                    BW x 12 x 5

Bent over Row
                                                                                    50kg x 12
                                                                                    60kg x 12
                                                                                    70kg x 8
                                                                                    60kg x 12 x 2

Boxing
                                                                                    15-20 mins or so of bag work

Comment

Mellor, what are your thoughts on Starting Strength..

Ive been out of Gym a while now, so Id imagine Ive regressed and looking to get back into it.

Im training for soccer twice a week, tue and thur though so Im unsure if its suitable for me to use SS as a programme. Have you done it/know anyone who has and how they found it?
                                                                                      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

I know a few that have done it and the reports are all pretty possitive.
                                                                                        There's no reason you can't use it alongside soccer. As long as you were going regularly - it should be 3times a week but 2 times a week would be fine too.

I didn't do SS exactly, but I was aware of it and initial training (once I stopped arsing about, only about 1 yr ago) was based around the same or similar lifts at higher reps. Bench, Squat, Deadlift, pull-ups, rows etc. After a while I changed to 5 rep SS type stuff with the same lifts. Again its not the same program, but its similar enough with a few extras. i don't think I could do bench, squat and deadlift in the same session these days.
                                                                                        I'm prob going to change my program again in a while, and Power cleans might come back in, its the only SS lift I don't do.

There are a few versions, the best one depends on;
                                                                                        Do you want to do pull-ups?
                                                                                        Do you want to do power cleans?
                                                                                        How often do you want to deadlift?

My own preference would be for either the Onus Wunsler program (2 days) or the Witchta Falls version (3 days).

Comment

Personally, I feel Im a bit past the novice stage. Novice is for those that arent conditioned to weights and will struggle to recover. I think I'll be ok on that front(if it was JUST SS) given I've been weight training nearly 18 months now, just the last 4 have been mute because of Oz.

I think the workout including dips/chins and pull ups is perfect for me. Its simple and like you said, reports are all positive.

I have a few reservations though. Im on a calorie deficit(Oz gotten the better of me) and Im eating quite low carb in order to lose the extra weight (not much but need it off for soccer).

So essentially, Ill be training 5x a week, 3 weights (SS) and 2 Soccer session with a match on most weekends. THIS is where Im wondering will the recovery affect me. I can up my calories, fine, and I get 8hours sleep easy a night. Its more worry about increasing calories slowing fat loss, and burn out.

I suppose Ill have to experiment and find a balance.
                                                                                          This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

I'm on, or at least aim to be on, a defecit during the week. Even when I was dropping fat quick enough, my recovery was fine. Had I been eating more. I'd prob recover faster, move up weights faster. But I was happy enough with slow steady gains along with fat loss. Rather than sacraficing fat loss for better recovery

Comment

Weds - Metcon/Oly lifts

Tailpipe

250m row
                                                                                              2 x 24kg Kbell rack hold
                                                                                              3 rounds for time

Time: c.7mins

SPOILER
                                                                                              The idea is you do this in a pair, one holds while the other rows, then switch over and repeat until both have done 3 of each. I was solo so I just did the hold equal to the previous row time. Did want to blast the first out too hard or else I'd never finish the last racks holds. Splits were 60s, 57s, 56s. Rack holds were harder than I thought, getting 2 x 24kg up there and comfortable is tricky

Oly Lifts

Power Snatch
                                                                                              Pull Drill x 5 x 2
                                                                                              20kg x 5
                                                                                              30kg x 5
                                                                                              40kg x 3
                                                                                              50kg x fail

Power Clean
                                                                                              50kg x 3
                                                                                              55kg x 3
                                                                                              60kg x fail

SPOILER
                                                                                              First time trying a snatch. 40kg felt fine, but 50kg ended up being a clean. I did a set of overhead squats at the end with an empty bar too. Probably should of worked on some mobility in shoulders before hand. I'd love a BW "OH squat/snatch/clean & jerk", and its mostly down to technique getting there, compared to other lifts.

Hanging Leg raise machine
                                                                                              10kg x 12 x 3

Cardio
                                                                                              2k Run - 10mins

Comment

Tues - Chest/Back

Bench
                                                                                                ...
                                                                                                80kg x 5
                                                                                                85kg x 3, 4
                                                                                                60kg x 19
                                                                                                Forgot to include that one the other day. Just did it at the end out of interest. c.75% BW

Thurs - Legs/Shoulders

Squats
                                                                                                20kg x 5
                                                                                                60kg x 5
                                                                                                100kg x 5
                                                                                                120kg x 5
                                                                                                130kg x 5

SPOILER
                                                                                                Back and shoulders were tight at the start so left it at 130. Weight didn't feel right, but depth was good. Just worn out this week I think

Standing OH Press
                                                                                                20kg x 5
                                                                                                40kg x 5
                                                                                                50kg x 5
                                                                                                55kg x 5
                                                                                                57.5kg x 5
                                                                                                55kg x 5

Pistol Squats w/TRX
                                                                                                BW x 15 x 2 (each leg)

DB Shoulder Press
                                                                                                25kg x 8 x 2

*superseted with*

DB lateral raise
                                                                                                7kg x 12 x 2
                                                                                                and
                                                                                                Reverse Flys
                                                                                                7kg x 12 x 1

Cardio
                                                                                                Rower - 1 km - 3:56
                                                                                                Treadmill - 1 km - 5:00
                                                                                                Bike - 1 km - 2:07

SPOILER
                                                                                                Pretty much one machine straight to the next. Struggled down the stairs after all that tonight. Few days rest needed

Comment

Tues - Chest/Back

Bench
                                                                                                  40kg x 5
                                                                                                  60kg x 4
                                                                                                  75kg x 3
                                                                                                  85kg x 5 x 2
                                                                                                  80kg x 5 *drop set*
                                                                                                  60kg x 8 *drop set*

SPOILER
                                                                                                  Kept the volume low before the 85kg set. Glad to get out 2. ROM was good. Didn't have a third in me. I was rushing so rest times were down maybe 20%. Handy 80/60 drop set to finish off

Pull-ups
                                                                                                  BW x 7, 7, 7, 7

Chest Flys
                                                                                                  17.5 x 12 x 5

Barbell T-Bar row
                                                                                                  Bar + 20kg x 12
                                                                                                  Bar + 40kg x 12
                                                                                                  Bar + 50kg x 12
                                                                                                  Bar + 50kg x 10

Boxing
                                                                                                  15 mins or so of bag work

Need to buy wrist wraps. Maybe better gloves too. The gyms free ones are shitty.

Comment

Wed - Metcon/coonditioning

Metcon
                                                                                                    For time

75 Squats
                                                                                                    50 Dips
                                                                                                    20 Pull-ups

50 Squats
                                                                                                    35 Dips
                                                                                                    15 Pull-ups

25 Squats
                                                                                                    20 Dips
                                                                                                    10 Pull-ups

Time 23mins

Terrible time, just couldn't get the volume out on the dips and pull-ups and ended up taking way too many rests

Snatch
                                                                                                    11kg x 3
                                                                                                    31kg x 3
                                                                                                    41kg x 3

41kgs were poor. Got the weight overhead but there was a bit of pressing in the 2nd and 3rd. CNS was prob rocked from the metcon

Weighted sprints
                                                                                                    Roughly 4 or 5 metres with a cable machine attached to a belt at my waist.
                                                                                                    Aim was to be as explosive as possible.

18kg x 8
                                                                                                    22.5kg x 8
                                                                                                    27kg x 8
                                                                                                    32kg x 6
                                                                                                    36.5kg x 6
                                                                                                    41kg x 6

Monkey Bars
                                                                                                    4 metres x 3

Not sure what else to call this. Steel structure with large diameter bars. Hang from one side and climbe to the other.
                                                                                                    Tough enough to do at the end of a workout, the large bars make gripping hard. Idea is improving grip and working upper body muscles together.

Thurs - Rest day

Comment

Saturday - Max session

Bench Press
                                                                                                      20kg x 3
                                                                                                      60kg x 3
                                                                                                      75kg x 2
                                                                                                      85kg x 1
                                                                                                      90kg x 1
                                                                                                      95kg x fail
                                                                                                      95kg x 1 *PB*

Squat
                                                                                                      60kg x 3
                                                                                                      100kg x 3
                                                                                                      120kg x 1
                                                                                                      130kg x 1
                                                                                                      135kg x 1
                                                                                                      140/145kg x fail (see below)

Overhead (push) press
                                                                                                      40kg x 5
                                                                                                      50kg x 3
                                                                                                      60kg x 1
                                                                                                      65kg x 1
                                                                                                      70kg x fail

Deadlift
                                                                                                      60kg x 3
                                                                                                      100kg x 1
                                                                                                      140kg x 1
                                                                                                      160kg x 1

Boxing/Cardio
                                                                                                      Floor to ceiling bag work (can't get this)
                                                                                                      Heavy bag combo work

Overall happy with the session. New PB in bench. Equal to previous in deadlift and press. Squats were not good.
                                                                                                      I failed the first attempt at 95kg, would of liked to try 92.5 but no 1.25kg plates. I knew that attempt wasn't my best so gave it another go and focused of getting form perfect. Bar made contact with chest, it was slow, but I got it up, ship ship, 100kg is a bit closer

Squats, 135 wasn't great. I'm startign to question my depth again on my heaviest reps. Loaded up what I thought was 140 and went for a single, making sure to go as low as possible, way past parallel. Got to the bottom and the weight wasn't steady at all, the whole thing was bad. I was focusing too hard on the depth and forgot about everything else. Was gutted that I failed a rep (first time ever having to dump the bar), only went I was stripping the bar I noticed that I had a 15kg plate on one side instead of a 10kg. Bar was uneven. This was prob one of the reasons it was so bad, but confidance was gone at that stage.

Press was ok, would of like 67.5 for a single, but lack of small plates at that gym.
                                                                                                      Deadlift - happy to get 160kg up to equal my PB, good considerign I've pulling nothing this year.
                                                                                                      Total: 390kg

Comment

Tues - Legs/Shoulders

Gym was packed so had to cut out squats. Left a bit early without doing cardio

Deadlifts
                                                                                                        60kg x 5
                                                                                                        100kg x 5
                                                                                                        110kg x 5
                                                                                                        120kg x 5
                                                                                                        130kg x 5

Glad to still be hitting 130kg for 5 after neglecting it for ages. Although this was straps, not chalk

Seated Press
                                                                                                        40kg x 5
                                                                                                        50kg x 5
                                                                                                        55kg x 5
                                                                                                        57.5kg x 5
                                                                                                        60kg x 5

Pull-ups
                                                                                                        BW x 7,6,6,5,5

Reps way down, Was rushing and didn't take enough rest, plus deadlifts

Barbell Bicep Curls
                                                                                                        17.5kg x 12
                                                                                                        25kg x 12
                                                                                                        30kg x 12

I never do these so have no idea what I was able for.

A pretty short sesion, had to be somewhere anyway. A little stiff today. Plan is to include a deloaded squat in with bench later in the week, with cardio or metcon stuff later today.

Comment

Weds - Oly lifts/boxing

Power Snatch
                                                                                                          20kg x 5 x 2
                                                                                                          30kg x 5
                                                                                                          35kg x 3
                                                                                                          40kg x 3
                                                                                                          45kg x 1 x 2 *PB*
                                                                                                          50kg x fail

Much better than last week. 40kg was perfect, no press. The first 45 had a bit of pressing but rested and nailed it second time. These are power snatchs, not by choice but because I simple can't get into the hole quick enough after snapping up.

Power Clean
                                                                                                          40kg x 3
                                                                                                          45kg x 3
                                                                                                          50kg x 3
                                                                                                          55kg x 3
                                                                                                          60kg x fail

60kg fails again, ditto for getting into the hole.
                                                                                                          Basically by Oly lifts are going to be held back by the fact that I don't front squat or overhead squat.

Overhead Sqaut
                                                                                                          25kg x 5
                                                                                                          30kg x 5
                                                                                                          35kg x 5
                                                                                                          40kg x 5
                                                                                                          45kg x 4

First time doing these properly, happy to get up to 45kg (missed last rep up top not on legs). Going to be severly limited as legs will be able for a lot more than I can get over head. 60kg is a target. Shoulder mobility is hugely important here

Bicep curls
                                                                                                          20kg x 12
                                                                                                          30kg x 12

Boxing
                                                                                                          Heavy Bag work

Comment

Friday - Legs/Chest

Bench
                                                                                                            20kg x 10
                                                                                                            60kg x 5
                                                                                                            75kg x 5
                                                                                                            85kg x 5 x 3 *PB*

Finally get 3 sets at 85kg, last rep of last set was v.slow ass lifted but got it up.

Squats
                                                                                                            60kg x 5
                                                                                                            100kg x 5
                                                                                                            120kg x 5 x 2

Dropped the weight and went ass to grass for depth. Hoping to work back up to 140ish over the nect few weeks. The idea is to maintain good depth

Calf raise
                                                                                                            40kg x 12
                                                                                                            80kg x 12 x 2
                                                                                                            100kg x 12 x 2

Cable flys
                                                                                                            4 sets increasing weight, 8-12 reps

Comment

Still going very well Mellor. Good stuff.

Close to the magical 100 on the bench now. Perhaps by the start of next month? I'm impressed you can overhead squat btw. Nice mobility. I really suck at it.

Oh and tape your squats if you can. You'll pick up things you just can't notice in the mirror when looking at it from a different perspective.

Comment

Want to focus on my mobility in shoulders and hips. THe ting with overhead squats is the weight is never going to be that high as I simply can't get much up there. Going to keep them up and try to work to 60-80kg

Yeah gonna tape a squat session. I've deloaded jsut to work on form. I think part of the problem is that I'm watching legs in the mirror for depth which actually causes me to mess up the rep

Comment

who'd want to be a squat judge?
                                                                                                                  [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c99fKwte_-4[/ame]

Comment

Tues - Legs & Shoulders

Warm-up
                                                                                                                    Overhead squat
                                                                                                                    30kg x 5 x 2

Squats
                                                                                                                    60kg x 6
                                                                                                                    100kg x 5
                                                                                                                    120kg x 5 x 2
                                                                                                                    120kg x 1

I was thinking about too many things and was all over the place on the second at 120kg. Bar was close to sliding away. Final single was way past parallel just to see how it felt.

Overhead press
                                                                                                                    40kg x 5
                                                                                                                    50kg x 5
                                                                                                                    55kg x 5
                                                                                                                    60kg x 5 *PB*

First time getting 60kg standing. First rep was pushed, rest were arms only elbows below shoulders. Happy to get all 5

Front Squat
                                                                                                                    40kg x 5
                                                                                                                    60kg x 5 *PB*
                                                                                                                    70kg x 5 *PB*

First time doing these since November (50kg x 8). Delighted to get 70kg, was easy enough too. Bar is much more comfortable on shoulders now, although did feel like it was at risk of cutting off air once or twice. Still need to work on wrists and elbows up. Going to keep these in for a while should help snatch and cleans (if i can ever get low on them)

Romanian Deadlifts
                                                                                                                    60kg x 5 (snatch grip)
                                                                                                                    90kg x 5 (snatch grip)
                                                                                                                    100kg x 5 (mixed grip)
                                                                                                                    110kg x 5 (mixed grip)

No chalk, so had to switch to mixed grip for last two, kept them pretty wide for clean/snatch assistance. Forgot how much tougher romanians were (plus i was wrecked).

Boxing
                                                                                                                    10mins - pretty sloppy due to nothing in the cardio tank

Comment

Weds - Oly/Cardio

Warm-up
                                                                                                                      Snatch drop 30kg x 5 (think thats the right name)

Power Snatch
                                                                                                                      30kg x 5
                                                                                                                      35kg x 3
                                                                                                                      40kg x 3
                                                                                                                      45kg x 2
                                                                                                                      47.5kg x 1 x 2 *PB*

last two singles went perfect. Got it overhead but there was some a decent bit of presing on the first and a small bit on the second

Power Clean
                                                                                                                      45kg x 5
                                                                                                                      50kg x 3
                                                                                                                      55kg x 1
                                                                                                                      57.5kg x 1 *PB*

57.5 is a new PB from the ground. Starting to fell a lot better. 80kg clean and jerk is the goal.

Hanging Knee raises (pull-up bar)
                                                                                                                      Reps = 8, 8, 10

Hand and shoulders were just not up the holding on

Cardio - Treadmill (2 mins rest between each)
                                                                                                                      800m - 3m20s
                                                                                                                      400m - 1m30s
                                                                                                                      200m - 50s

200m is a bit pointless as the threadmill takes too long to speed up. Was at top speed of 20km/h which is actually 36s
                                                                                                                      Last edited by Mellor; 14-04-11, 08:13.

Comment

Tues - Chest/Back

Bench Press
                                                                                                                        20kg x 10
                                                                                                                        60kg x 5
                                                                                                                        70kg x 5
                                                                                                                        80kg x 3
                                                                                                                        87.5kg x 5, 4 *PB*

Was a bit unsure about moving up but lgad I went for it now. 5 rep PB. I stopped after 4 on the second as I was pretty sure I'd fail a 5th, maybe I should of tried and failed

Pull-ups
                                                                                                                        BW x 8, 7, 7, 7

Pretty good sets there. Prob my best. Hopefully get 8x4or5 soon

Incline Bench Press
                                                                                                                        40kg x 5
                                                                                                                        50kg x 5
                                                                                                                        60kg x 5
                                                                                                                        70kg x 5
                                                                                                                        75kg x 5 *PB*

Spider Row
                                                                                                                        40kg x 12
                                                                                                                        50kg x 12
                                                                                                                        60kg x 12

not the longest session but overall felt good.
                                                                                                                        Lots of squats planned tonight,

Comment

Weds - Legs/Shoulders

Squats
                                                                                                                          60kg x 5
                                                                                                                          100kg x 5
                                                                                                                          120kg x 5 x 3

Squats were good, just need to work on my speed.

Overhead Press
                                                                                                                          40kg x 5
                                                                                                                          50kg x 5
                                                                                                                          60kg x 4
                                                                                                                          55kg x 5

Ugh, missed a rep at 60kg, just a slip in concrentration. Deloaded and finished out the set.

Front Squat
                                                                                                                          40kg x 5
                                                                                                                          50kg x 5
                                                                                                                          60kg x 5
                                                                                                                          70kg x 5

Felt good. Getting more comfortable with the bar. Just need to make sure i keep elbows high and bar on shoulders not hands

Overhead Squats
                                                                                                                          30kg x 5
                                                                                                                          40kg x 5
                                                                                                                          50kg x 5 *PB*

50kg felt fine once I got it stablised up there. Pretty much getting clsoe to the point where I'll not be able to get more weight up. It'll be awkward to pressit up and then slid hands out for 60kg+

Deadlifts
                                                                                                                          60kg x 5
                                                                                                                          100kg x 5
                                                                                                                          120kg x 5
                                                                                                                          130kg x 5
                                                                                                                          140kg x 5 *PB*

130kg felt easy so added 10kg instead of 5 and lashed out 5 reps. Final rep was slow but clean. Dizzy afterwards.

Sore today

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X