Padraig Parkinsons Blog Updates: DEAD MAN WALKING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Padraig Parkinsons Blog Updates: DEAD MAN WALKING

There’s a new show on American TV. It’s basically a bunch of commercials linked together by a tale of a dead guy and a guy who was shot each trying to bust each other. For some reason or other they call it Dallas. I think its loosely based on the Full Tilt story except its toned down a bit .Its full of good guys and bad guys but the viewers don’t know which is which. Personally I don’t care. Just like in real life.

There’s no doubt that the star that was Phil Ivey, rightly or wrongly, doesn’t burn as bright as it did 12 months or so ago. What is indisputable is that Ivey the poker player has stunned the poker world with a performance at this years WSOP that confirms his place as the best who’s ever played the game. I’ve heard it said he’s been lucky. Certainly luck is a pretty handy commodity around here. Over the years I’ve seen players who’d struggle to beat their home game if everyone else had to play blindfolded win bracelets while great players go home with nothing but their dreams. But you don’t make 5 final tables in a couple of days just by being lucky!

Was Ivey’s performance the best I’ve ever seen at the WSOP? No. That honour belongs to Boston Billy. Who? Boston Billy. In 2006, 70 year old Billy played 6 days straight in 2 big field Holdem events and made the final table in both of them. He did it with a humility and a self deprecating humour totally alien to today’s game where average players are so in love with themselves their little hearts nearly burst when they see their pictures in magazines beside an interview full of complete bollocks. Oh yeah. I nearly forgot to mention Billy was dying at the time and moved on to that great game in the sky a few months later.
    Will Ivey, at 70, top that? I don’t care because at that stage I will be playing PLO with Billy.Ill be taking the worst of it for sure but the craic will be good. I certainly won’t have to listen bullshit like I hear every day in the Rio.

0 Comments - Leave a Comment

More...
Working...
X