Irish Poker Boards
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games

Old 02-11-18, 17:17   #821
coillcam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
Did the door-2-door people get him or was it the sign of the four, how did that happen?
Not sure, would have been when I was a youngster. Obviously I was confirmed as an RC like rest of us before losing interest in religion completely. I actually went to some of their study groups out of curiosity as a teen a few times. Thought it was a load of nonsense, the elder person (like a priest I guess and always male) would ask a question, then answer or correct it and everyone nods along in groupthink. Everything had a finite outcome with zero dissent or critical analysis allowed.

JW's are generally incredibly nice and helpful people from my experience, though the sect has had an enormous amount of bad press over the years. Justifiably so tbf. The ould lad is still bang on and he never really pushed it on us growing up.
coillcam is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 02-11-18, 17:21   #822
Tar.Aldarion

Send a message via MSN to Tar.Aldarion Send a message via Skype™ to Tar.Aldarion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keane View Post
That was the Mormons.
I had no idea they were different things even. I know nothing about JW's apart from they want to talk to me about my soul and all my Mormon teaching is from a musical by the people who make south park.
Old 02-11-18, 17:52   #823
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Keane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
I had no idea they were different things even. I know nothing about JW's apart from they want to talk to me about my soul and all my Mormon teaching is from a musical by the people who make south park.
Funny enough I actually have a book recommendation about Mormons as well

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...om_search=true

Quote:
A multilayered, bone-chilling narrative of messianic delusion, savage violence, polygamy, and unyielding faith. This is vintage Krakauer, an utterly compelling work of nonfiction that illuminates an otherwise confounding realm of human behavior.

Jon Krakauer’s literary reputation rests on insightful chronicles of lives conducted at the outer limits. In Under The Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith, he shifts his focus from extremes of physical adventure to extremes of religious belief within our own borders. At the core of his book is an appalling double murder committed by two Mormon Fundamentalist brothers, Ron and Dan Lafferty, who insist they received a revelation from God commanding them to kill their blameless victims. Beginning with a meticulously researched account of this "divinely inspired" crime, Krakauer constructs a multilayered, bone-chilling narrative of messianic delusion, savage violence, polygamy, and unyielding faith. Along the way, he uncovers a shadowy offshoot of America’s fastest-growing religion, and raises provocative questions about the nature of religious belief.

Krakauer takes readers inside isolated communities in the American West, Canada, and Mexico, where some forty-thousand Mormon Fundamentalists believe the mainstream Mormon Church went unforgivably astray when it renounced polygamy. Defying both civil authorities and the Mormon establishment in Salt Lake City, the leaders of these outlaw sects are zealots who answer only to God. Marrying prodigiously and with virtual impunity (the leader of the largest fundamentalist church took seventy-five "plural wives," several of whom were wed to him when they were fourteen or fifteen and he was in his eighties), fundamentalist prophets exercise absolute control over the lives of their followers, and preach that any day now the world will be swept clean in a hurricane of fire, sparing only their most obedient adherents.

Weaving the story of the Lafferty brothers and their fanatical brethren with a clear-eyed look at Mormonism’s violent past, Krakauer examines the underbelly of the most successful homegrown faith in the United States, and finds a distinctly American brand of religious extremism. The result is vintage Krakauer, an utterly compelling work of nonfiction that illuminates an otherwise confounding realm of human behavior. (less)
I found this to be as 5* a book as could be.
Keane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-18, 10:43   #824
shrapnel
chevauche moi sur le côté, Kylian

where's the link to the goodreads book club? wanna join
shrapnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-18, 11:06   #825
mocata

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/83085-ipb
Thanks From:
Old 12-11-18, 22:04   #826
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast

I just finished 'Unsung Hero' which is the story of the exploits of the great Tom Crean in Antarctica. While the editing was a bit ropey in parts I couldn't praise the book highly enough.

Absolutely compulsive, hair-raising reading about one of the most remarkable people the country ever produced. Seven thumbs up.
2 Thanks From:
Old 12-11-18, 22:35   #827
brady23

I got through The Power of Habit this week, it's an easy listen on my commute.
Lots of anecdotal stories demonstrating how cues, routines & rewards create habits, it was pretty long tbh.

I'm reading Zen & The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance and Principles by Ray Dalio atm
brady23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-18, 17:31   #828
NoRiverRequired

Quote:
I just finished 'Unsung Hero' which is the story of the exploits of the great Tom Crean in Antarctica. While the editing was a bit ropey in parts I couldn't praise the book highly enough.

Absolutely compulsive, hair-raising reading about one of the most remarkable people the country ever produced. Seven thumbs up.
great read surely. What a man,the book is well named.
NoRiverRequired is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 23-11-18, 11:12   #829
brady23

Algorithms to Live By & The Better Angels of our Nature are 0.99p today
Old 23-11-18, 13:22   #830
pokerhand

Currently reading Echoes of the Fall series by Adrain Tchaikovsky. Only on book one, but very enjoyable so far. Taking a while to read as so busy with work, but enjoying it the more for that. Very promising.
Old 24-11-18, 20:39   #831
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady23 View Post
Algorithms to Live By & The Better Angels of our Nature are 0.99p today
Algorithms to Live By is class. For very surprised by it, on the upside. All about fancy optimisation techniques.
Hitchhiker's Guide To... is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 24-11-18, 22:37   #832
brady23

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
Algorithms to Live By is class. For very surprised by it, on the upside. All about fancy optimisation techniques.
I added that Hofstader one mentioned on BBV. Pinkers How the Mind Works .99p today, if it's anything like Enlightenment Now, it's worth a read.
I worked my way through Factfulness last week, such a digestible book, I really enjoyed it. Quite similar to Enlightenment Now and The Rational Optimist.
Old 24-11-18, 22:46   #833
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

Quote:
I added that Hofstader one mentioned on BBV. Pinkers How the Mind Works .99p today, if it's anything like Enlightenment Now, it's worth a read.
I worked my way through Factfulness last week, such a digestible book, I really enjoyed it. Quite similar to Enlightenment Now and The Rational Optimist.
Couldn't find Hofstadter on Kindle. Did you find it?
Hitchhiker's Guide To... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-18, 07:45   #834
brady23

Quote:
No just the hard copy, it's surprising after I read a little about it because it seems very well thought of.
Old 26-11-18, 14:34   #835
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast

Just back from two weeks vacation so may be time for an update. I've now gotten through 51 out of a revised target of 52 books for the year. Only nineteen of the 52 were actually read from text with the rest on audible, which seems like a bit of a cheat - although I have seen some suggestions that audiobooks are a fairly decent alternative. For the most part the audiobooks have been the more pulpy stuff like the Dresden Files and Sherlock Holmes books anyway, so probably not too bad.

Anyway, since my last proper update as mentioned I read Unsung Hero about Tom Crean which was brilliant.

I also finished Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential which I liked a lot. Not really very much happens in it I guess but it's a bunch of enlightening anecdotes about what goes on at the other side of the pass on a daily basis. The bit towards the end where he visits Japan stands out the most. He seemed like a really cool guy, a shame how it finished up for him.

I read Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead after seeing it pop up on Denny's Goodreads timeline as it's nice and short. For those who haven't heard of it this is like a side plot to Hamlet following his eponymous hapless mates, ostensibly going on at the same time as the main action. I really enjoyed the parts where it actually intersected with the original Shakespeare but these moments were few and far between. The ruminations on the futility of life and the wordplay that made up most of the rest of it left me a little bit cold, but I find written puns always miss the mark with me a bit. I guess I would enjoy this a lot more if I actually saw a production of it.

I finished the Broken Earth series with The Stone Sky. I think this book was maybe just slightly weaker than the first two, but this is an excellently conceived and executed fantasy series. The quality of the writing is much better than most of what you find in the genre, and the editor didn't allow the author to disappear up her own arse and take 2,000 pages for something that could have been banged out as a short story like you often get. Worthwhile read for fans of the genre.

I read The Three-Body Problem which is the first of three sci-fi books by a Chinese author, these are apparently wildly popular in China. It's not sci-fi in the Star Trek sense, rather it's set on Earth with parts of the story taking place during the Cultural Revolution and parts in more or less the present day, but with some sci-fi elements introduced on that backdrop. I liked this - it was a pretty decent page-turner and had some interesting background info on the Cultural Revolution itself. The sci-fi element was clever and intriguing. I think I will probably pick up the second book.

Finally, I read The Bloodied Field by Michael Foley. This is the story of the lead-up to, the events, and the aftermath of Bloody Sunday (the one in Croke Park). It is told to some extent from a GAA point of view, as it intertwines the stories of the Tipperary and Dublin teams that were playing that day with the actions of the IRA - which many were party to - and the reactions of HMG and the Tans/RIC/Auxies. This was a very good read on an important topic.

I'm currently somehow reading nine different books however I've managed to get myself into this situation. The one that is exercising me the most is Life at the Bottom: The Worldview That Makes the Underclass by Theodore Dalrymple, which again Denny praised highly. I'm not a huge way through it so far and I expected to have some issues with it, and I am finding it quite frustrating and unconvincing so far. The writing to be fair is very good, but he has a way of asserting impressions - not to say facts - that don't seem credible without giving any source, stats or backup for them.

He also uses anecdotes of things prisoners and patients have said to him to illustrate his idea that modern liberal thought is enabling and perpetuating criminal behaviour by absolving criminals of personal responsibility. He acknowledges that the quotes he's giving are the same as quotes you would hear from criminals in the time of Shakespeare or Homer, quotes Tolstoy etc., before merrily carrying on about how modern liberal ideas are a large contributor or even the main contributor to the problem. He also seems to be one of these Patricia Casey type psychiatrists who doesn't really believe in mental health and seems to be suggesting that psychopathology is more or less just a cod to keep psychopathologists in work.

I can tell he has perspectives and ways of looking at social problems that will be interesting but a lot of it at the moment reads like everything he sees and hears is to be taken as confirmation of the theories he has decided are correct. Hopefully it will settle down a bit as it progresses.

Last edited by Keane; 26-11-18 at 14:39.
Old 26-11-18, 14:57   #836
shrapnel
chevauche moi sur le côté, Kylian

Quote:
i've got the epub version if you like. you can then convert to mobi
shrapnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-18, 15:07   #837
Strewelpeter

Quote:
No just the hard copy, it's surprising after I read a little about it because it seems very well thought of.
Oddly, considering the subject matter is computer science, it is not a book that will play well on a digital version because a lot of what he is doing relies on diagrams and typography.
Old 26-11-18, 15:51   #838
brady23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strewelpeter View Post
Oddly, considering the subject matter is computer science, it is not a book that will play well on a digital version because a lot of what he is doing relies on diagrams and typography.
I have found it an issue on Kindle paperwhite before but I ordered a Kindle Fire the other day because I assume it will be similar to Kindle app on desktop which I find fine for diagrams.
That said, I made the mistake of listening to Enlightment Now which has quite a few diagrams so I've checked before purchasing any audiobooks since that.

Midway through Ray Dalios Life & Work Principles, he narrates too, it's well worth a read/listen
Thanks From:
Old 26-11-18, 15:59   #839
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast

Quote:
I have found it an issue on Kindle paperwhite before but I ordered a Kindle Fire the other day because I assume it will be similar to Kindle app on desktop which I find fine for diagrams.
That said, I made the mistake of listening to Enlightment Now which has quite a few diagrams so I've checked before purchasing any audiobooks since that.

Midway through Ray Dalios Life & Work Principles, he narrates too, it's well worth a read/listen
Is there any particular way to check how diagram heavy a book is before buying the audio or is it just general googling?
Old 26-11-18, 16:10   #840
brady23

Quote:
Is there any particular way to check how diagram heavy a book is before buying the audio or is it just general googling?
Not that I'm aware of to be honest. Just general googling, I forgot the other day and I bought one with 17 pages of graphs, though most are maps
Thanks From:

Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games