Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Productivity can easily not be healthy, it's often used to repress and hide away from mental health issues. Career and money and things are not necessarily a happiness enhancer even when studies say > wealth > happiness. Robin Williams RIP ;_;
    Riggs is right that everybody should see somebody really, it's as important as physical health yet not treated so. $$$ -> hotspur

Originally posted by CHD View Post
    White & Gold.

Blue & Black when screen is tilted.
    Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
    Black and blue on the phone
    Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
    http://www.sciencealert.com/here-s-t...-goddamn-dress

The dress is blue.

Tar - do some work and stop surfing the interweb
    People are going mad because they see different colours, like that spinning gif of a girl that people saw going different ways.

I drank too much, I'm only in work now
    I see white and gold and it's very hard to see otherwise.

Different tools seem to give different results, but I've seen the real dress

Here is another swatch

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Business View Post
      Makes sense, I probably need to figure out in more concrete terms what it is I want and importantly - why I want it (because otherwise why bother trying, and I'll just keep procrastinating) before I attempt to fully get super organised about it. That and a pile of adderall.

It's certainly a process and a journey. I couldn't find strong enough reasons to get out of bed a couple of years ago or for long stretches of my life thus far.
      Hunter S Thompson had some interesting words to say on this matter. I hope this isn't too long:
      SPOILER
      April 22, 1958

57 Perry Street

New York City

Dear Hume,

You ask advice: ah, what a very human and very dangerous thing to do! For to give advice to a man who asks what to do with his life implies something very close to egomania. To presume to point a man to the right and ultimate goal — to point with a trembling finger in the RIGHT direction is something only a fool would take upon himself.

I am not a fool, but I respect your sincerity in asking my advice. I ask you though, in listening to what I say, to remember that all advice can only be a product of the man who gives it. What is truth to one may be disaster to another. I do not see life through your eyes, nor you through mine. If I were to attempt to give you specific advice, it would be too much like the blind leading the blind.

“To be, or not to be: that is the question: Whether ’tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles … ” (Shakespeare)

And indeed, that IS the question: whether to float with the tide, or to swim for a goal. It is a choice we must all make consciously or unconsciously at one time in our lives. So few people understand this! Think of any decision you’ve ever made which had a bearing on your future: I may be wrong, but I don’t see how it could have been anything but a choice however indirect — between the two things I’ve mentioned: the floating or the swimming.

But why not float if you have no goal? That is another question. It is unquestionably better to enjoy the floating than to swim in uncertainty. So how does a man find a goal? Not a castle in the stars, but a real and tangible thing. How can a man be sure he’s not after the “big rock candy mountain,” the enticing sugar-candy goal that has little taste and no substance?

The answer — and, in a sense, the tragedy of life — is that we seek to understand the goal and not the man. We set up a goal which demands of us certain things: and we do these things. We adjust to the demands of a concept which CANNOT be valid. When you were young, let us say that you wanted to be a fireman. I feel reasonably safe in saying that you no longer want to be a fireman. Why? Because your perspective has changed. It’s not the fireman who has changed, but you. Every man is the sum total of his reactions to experience. As your experiences differ and multiply, you become a different man, and hence your perspective changes. This goes on and on. Every reaction is a learning process; every significant experience alters your perspective.

So it would seem foolish, would it not, to adjust our lives to the demands of a goal we see from a different angle every day? How could we ever hope to accomplish anything other than galloping neurosis?

The answer, then, must not deal with goals at all, or not with tangible goals, anyway. It would take reams of paper to develop this subject to fulfillment. God only knows how many books have been written on “the meaning of man” and that sort of thing, and god only knows how many people have pondered the subject. (I use the term “god only knows” purely as an expression.) There’s very little sense in my trying to give it up to you in the proverbial nutshell, because I’m the first to admit my absolute lack of qualifications for reducing the meaning of life to one or two paragraphs.

I’m going to steer clear of the word “existentialism,” but you might keep it in mind as a key of sorts. You might also try something called “Being and Nothingness” by Jean-Paul Sartre, and another little thing called “Existentialism: From Dostoyevsky to Sartre.” These are merely suggestions. If you’re genuinely satisfied with what you are and what you’re doing, then give those books a wide berth. (Let sleeping dogs lie.) But back to the answer. As I said, to put our faith in tangible goals would seem to be, at best, unwise. So we do not strive to be firemen, we do not strive to be bankers, nor policemen, nor doctors. WE STRIVE TO BE OURSELVES.

But don’t misunderstand me. I don’t mean that we can’t BE firemen, bankers, or doctors — but that we must make the goal conform to the individual, rather than make the individual conform to the goal. In every man, heredity and environment have combined to produce a creature of certain abilities and desires — including a deeply ingrained need to function in such a way that his life will be MEANINGFUL. A man has to BE something; he has to matter.

As I see it then, the formula runs something like this: a man must choose a path which will let his ABILITIES function at maximum efficiency toward the gratification of his DESIRES. In doing this, he is fulfilling a need (giving himself identity by functioning in a set pattern toward a set goal), he avoids frustrating his potential (choosing a path which puts no limit on his self-development), and he avoids the terror of seeing his goal wilt or lose its charm as he draws closer to it (rather than bending himself to meet the demands of that which he seeks, he has bent his goal to conform to his own abilities and desires).

In short, he has not dedicated his life to reaching a pre-defined goal, but he has rather chosen a way of life he KNOWS he will enjoy. The goal is absolutely secondary: it is the functioning toward the goal which is important. And it seems almost ridiculous to say that a man MUST function in a pattern of his own choosing; for to let another man define your own goals is to give up one of the most meaningful aspects of life — the definitive act of will which makes a man an individual.

Let’s assume that you think you have a choice of eight paths to follow (all pre-defined paths, of course). And let’s assume that you can’t see any real purpose in any of the eight. THEN — and here is the essence of all I’ve said — you MUST FIND A NINTH PATH.

Naturally, it isn’t as easy as it sounds. You’ve lived a relatively narrow life, a vertical rather than a horizontal existence. So it isn’t any too difficult to understand why you seem to feel the way you do. But a man who procrastinates in his CHOOSING will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.

So if you now number yourself among the disenchanted, then you have no choice but to accept things as they are, or to seriously seek something else. But beware of looking for goals: look for a way of life. Decide how you want to live and then see what you can do to make a living WITHIN that way of life. But you say, “I don’t know where to look; I don’t know what to look for.”

And there’s the crux. Is it worth giving up what I have to look for something better? I don’t know — is it? Who can make that decision but you? But even by DECIDING TO LOOK, you go a long way toward making the choice.

If I don’t call this to a halt, I’m going to find myself writing a book. I hope it’s not as confusing as it looks at first glance. Keep in mind, of course, that this is MY WAY of looking at things. I happen to think that it’s pretty generally applicable, but you may not. Each of us has to create our own credo — this merely happens to be mine.

If any part of it doesn’t seem to make sense, by all means call it to my attention. I’m not trying to send you out “on the road” in search of Valhalla, but merely pointing out that it is not necessary to accept the choices handed down to you by life as you know it. There is more to it than that — no one HAS to do something he doesn’t want to do for the rest of his life. But then again, if that’s what you wind up doing, by all means convince yourself that you HAD to do it. You’ll have lots of company.

And that’s it for now. Until I hear from you again, I remain,

your friend,

Hunter
      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
        I am clearly biased, but I think it is fair to say that The Final Furlong Podcast sets a decent standard. Our latest Podcast is off the scale though. Our guest is Rich Ricci and it is absolutely his best and most insightful interview ever. Emmet did a fantastic job on it and just let the man talk. This is completely different to the hammed up Matt Chapman efforts - this is 40 mins of one of the biggest owners in the game being relaxed, shooting the breeze, having a bit of craic and talking about his horses, Cheltenham, Willie Mullins et al. This is gold. We also round off the pod with Johnny Burke talking about his background in racing, how he landed the job and about Cheltenham. Listen to this folks as if you don't you are depriving yourself.

http://www.attheraces.com/finalfurlongpodcast
        First time I ever listened to it, was surprised how much I enjoyed it given I am not really an Equinophile.

Was somebody playing roulette throughout the interview?

Comment

Originally posted by Megatron View Post

Was somebody playing roulette throughout the interview?
          Was thinking i was getting paranoid. Subliminal messaging ftw. I'm off to the Fitz.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
            iSnow in the hotel trade?

**FOR THE ATTENTION OF THE PEOPLE GIVING OUT ABOUT OUR PRICES ON THE NIGHTS OF 24TH AND 25TH JULY 2015** Dear Guests, We wish to advise that our room...

We wish to advise that our room rates on the nights of 24th and 25th July 2015 are €279 per double room. In case you cannot read numbers, I will write the price in words. Two hundred and seventy nine euro. This time in words and in caps: TWO HUNDRED AND SEVENTY NINE EURO.

As far as I can see, the cheapest hotel room available in Dublin on these nights is €229, and this hotel is nearer to Achill Island than it is Dublin city. In case you weren't aware, an insanely talented, double Brit award winning singer-songwriter and musician is playing a sold out gig in a stadium under 15 minute’s walk from our hotel on these nights. If you are expecting reduced rates on these nights, you need your head examined more than I do. However, if you are a Herald.ie reader, I don’t blame you for being so ill-advised. It’s not your fault at all.

If you are not happy to pay the going rate on the nights of the concerts, may I suggest you check availability in the following establishments:

St Vincent De Paul Shelters: http://bit.ly/1MUHL7z

Dublin Simon Emergency Accommodation: http://bit.ly/1GxxrOi

Peter McVerry Trust Accommodation Services: http://bit.ly/1ANSiuN

They've got form for that kind of thing.

I did like this however.
            **NEW ED SHEERAN COMP**
            So, the haters and abusers have intelligently (NOT) taken the time to give our page 1 star reviews. Disparaging reviews have been received in their droves over the past number of hours, meaning our overall review score has gone from 4.2 to 3.8. While this would be well and good if the reviews were actually genuine, the fact that these people have never set foot in our hotel (and hopefully never will), compromises the integrity of the review system. The haters may be interested to know that if they can cheat the system, so can I.
            If you are one of our real fans (not one of the blow in haters), you will be aware that earlier on today we managed to secure 8 ‪#‎EdSheeran‬ tickets. You may also remember that I was concocting a plan as to how we could offload these tickets to our Facebook fans. I would like to thank our sad, 1-star-review-leaving haters most sincerely for now giving me an idea as to how I can give away 2 more of these sold out tickets (which are going for as much as €800 each on donedeal). The haters will not be eligible to enter the comp I’m afraid, it is open for the people that matter to us only.
            HOW TO ENTER
            To win 2 sold out #EdSheeran tickets for Saturday 25th July, simply leave us a 5 star review on our Facebook page. One fan who leaves a 5 star review between now and Paddy’s day will be chosen at random and will win the tickets. Obviously if you have left a 1 star review you are not eligible to win the tickets. Not because you left a bad review for a hotel you've never been in, but because you are a total asshole for doing something as low as that.
            Thank you now.
            ‪#‎2canplaythatgame‬
            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

What's the best option for short term saving of say ~€600 p.m for 12 months?

I do all my banking with AIB and the current savings account i have with them is an old one offering .5% or something (it's rarely used). Was talking with them over a different issue and they said there's another savings account I can open that will give 2.25% monthly interest on up to a max of €1k lodged per month, which in turn will be subject to 41% dirt tax so in effect 1.33% and getting a Brucie of only €96 over the year. Could I hope for much better anywhere else?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                Hunter S Thompson had some interesting words to say on this matter. I hope this isn't too long:
                SPOILER
                April 22, 1958

57 Perry Street

New York City

Dear Hume,

You ask advice: ah, what a very human and very dangerous thing to do! For to give advice to a man who asks what to do with his life implies something very close to egomania. To presume to point a man to the right and ultimate goal — to point with a trembling finger in the RIGHT direction is something only a fool would take upon himself.

I am not a fool, but I respect your sincerity in asking my advice. I ask you though, in listening to what I say, to remember that all advice can only be a product of the man who gives it. What is truth to one may be disaster to another. I do not see life through your eyes, nor you through mine. If I were to attempt to give you specific advice, it would be too much like the blind leading the blind.

“To be, or not to be: that is the question: Whether ’tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles … ” (Shakespeare)

And indeed, that IS the question: whether to float with the tide, or to swim for a goal. It is a choice we must all make consciously or unconsciously at one time in our lives. So few people understand this! Think of any decision you’ve ever made which had a bearing on your future: I may be wrong, but I don’t see how it could have been anything but a choice however indirect — between the two things I’ve mentioned: the floating or the swimming.

But why not float if you have no goal? That is another question. It is unquestionably better to enjoy the floating than to swim in uncertainty. So how does a man find a goal? Not a castle in the stars, but a real and tangible thing. How can a man be sure he’s not after the “big rock candy mountain,” the enticing sugar-candy goal that has little taste and no substance?

The answer — and, in a sense, the tragedy of life — is that we seek to understand the goal and not the man. We set up a goal which demands of us certain things: and we do these things. We adjust to the demands of a concept which CANNOT be valid. When you were young, let us say that you wanted to be a fireman. I feel reasonably safe in saying that you no longer want to be a fireman. Why? Because your perspective has changed. It’s not the fireman who has changed, but you. Every man is the sum total of his reactions to experience. As your experiences differ and multiply, you become a different man, and hence your perspective changes. This goes on and on. Every reaction is a learning process; every significant experience alters your perspective.

So it would seem foolish, would it not, to adjust our lives to the demands of a goal we see from a different angle every day? How could we ever hope to accomplish anything other than galloping neurosis?

The answer, then, must not deal with goals at all, or not with tangible goals, anyway. It would take reams of paper to develop this subject to fulfillment. God only knows how many books have been written on “the meaning of man” and that sort of thing, and god only knows how many people have pondered the subject. (I use the term “god only knows” purely as an expression.) There’s very little sense in my trying to give it up to you in the proverbial nutshell, because I’m the first to admit my absolute lack of qualifications for reducing the meaning of life to one or two paragraphs.

I’m going to steer clear of the word “existentialism,” but you might keep it in mind as a key of sorts. You might also try something called “Being and Nothingness” by Jean-Paul Sartre, and another little thing called “Existentialism: From Dostoyevsky to Sartre.” These are merely suggestions. If you’re genuinely satisfied with what you are and what you’re doing, then give those books a wide berth. (Let sleeping dogs lie.) But back to the answer. As I said, to put our faith in tangible goals would seem to be, at best, unwise. So we do not strive to be firemen, we do not strive to be bankers, nor policemen, nor doctors. WE STRIVE TO BE OURSELVES.

But don’t misunderstand me. I don’t mean that we can’t BE firemen, bankers, or doctors — but that we must make the goal conform to the individual, rather than make the individual conform to the goal. In every man, heredity and environment have combined to produce a creature of certain abilities and desires — including a deeply ingrained need to function in such a way that his life will be MEANINGFUL. A man has to BE something; he has to matter.

As I see it then, the formula runs something like this: a man must choose a path which will let his ABILITIES function at maximum efficiency toward the gratification of his DESIRES. In doing this, he is fulfilling a need (giving himself identity by functioning in a set pattern toward a set goal), he avoids frustrating his potential (choosing a path which puts no limit on his self-development), and he avoids the terror of seeing his goal wilt or lose its charm as he draws closer to it (rather than bending himself to meet the demands of that which he seeks, he has bent his goal to conform to his own abilities and desires).

In short, he has not dedicated his life to reaching a pre-defined goal, but he has rather chosen a way of life he KNOWS he will enjoy. The goal is absolutely secondary: it is the functioning toward the goal which is important. And it seems almost ridiculous to say that a man MUST function in a pattern of his own choosing; for to let another man define your own goals is to give up one of the most meaningful aspects of life — the definitive act of will which makes a man an individual.

Let’s assume that you think you have a choice of eight paths to follow (all pre-defined paths, of course). And let’s assume that you can’t see any real purpose in any of the eight. THEN — and here is the essence of all I’ve said — you MUST FIND A NINTH PATH.

Naturally, it isn’t as easy as it sounds. You’ve lived a relatively narrow life, a vertical rather than a horizontal existence. So it isn’t any too difficult to understand why you seem to feel the way you do. But a man who procrastinates in his CHOOSING will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.

So if you now number yourself among the disenchanted, then you have no choice but to accept things as they are, or to seriously seek something else. But beware of looking for goals: look for a way of life. Decide how you want to live and then see what you can do to make a living WITHIN that way of life. But you say, “I don’t know where to look; I don’t know what to look for.”

And there’s the crux. Is it worth giving up what I have to look for something better? I don’t know — is it? Who can make that decision but you? But even by DECIDING TO LOOK, you go a long way toward making the choice.

If I don’t call this to a halt, I’m going to find myself writing a book. I hope it’s not as confusing as it looks at first glance. Keep in mind, of course, that this is MY WAY of looking at things. I happen to think that it’s pretty generally applicable, but you may not. Each of us has to create our own credo — this merely happens to be mine.

If any part of it doesn’t seem to make sense, by all means call it to my attention. I’m not trying to send you out “on the road” in search of Valhalla, but merely pointing out that it is not necessary to accept the choices handed down to you by life as you know it. There is more to it than that — no one HAS to do something he doesn’t want to do for the rest of his life. But then again, if that’s what you wind up doing, by all means convince yourself that you HAD to do it. You’ll have lots of company.

And that’s it for now. Until I hear from you again, I remain,

your friend,

Hunter
                Well worth the read imo
                Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Impressive showing from Gary Stokes shipping JP's Thursday game 4 weeks on the trot

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                    What's the best option for short term saving of say ~€600 p.m for 12 months?

I do all my banking with AIB and the current savings account i have with them is an old one offering .5% or something (it's rarely used). Was talking with them over a different issue and they said there's another savings account I can open that will give 2.25% monthly interest on up to a max of €1k lodged per month, which in turn will be subject to 41% dirt tax so in effect 1.33% and getting a Brucie of only €96 over the year. Could I hope for much better anywhere else?
                    Get Mrs.Flushdraw to open some UK accounts. First Direct offering 5% on current accounts up to 5k.

I've a 123 with Santander. 1% up to 1k, 2% up to 5k and 3% for 5->20k current account balances.

Or gambool it all with some p2p lending!

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Anyone heading to the US soon? Have a few k in USD cash that I'll sell at mid-market rate. Save you bank charges/commission. Have sold previously to DeadParrot and MrPillowtalk and others. Let me know if interested.

Comment

Best abstract I've read.

When you get paid monthly do they work out the yearly tax first and divide by 12 or pay you more at first and then the tax kicks in later on as the band increases? My payslip is very weird this month, paid way more than I thought.

Also in the section fixed and variable payments what does T and N mean?
                          EG:
                          salary T xxxx
                          bonus T xxxx
                          Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 27-02-15, 11:44.

Comment

Originally posted by thechamp87 View Post
                            Anyone heading to the US soon? Have a few k in USD cash that I'll sell at mid-market rate. Save you bank charges/commission. Have sold previously to DeadParrot and MrPillowtalk and others. Let me know if interested.
                            I'll take it.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                              Get Mrs.Flushdraw to open some UK accounts. First Direct offering 5% on current accounts up to 5k.

I've a 123 with Santander. 1% up to 1k, 2% up to 5k and 3% for 5->20k current account balances.

Or gambool it all with some p2p lending!
                              Do you know if non-UK residents can open sterling current accounts with UK banks?

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                    Today has brought an almost 3 month argument with the cunts in UPC to a conclusion, a conclusion that I am happy with.

They over billed me in Dec last year and would not issue the credit required. I in turn refused to pay the bill so they four bet me with a late payment fee. I also refused to pay this so they issued another late payment fee.

Today I was on the phone to them for the umpteenth time for over an hour in which their incompetent fucktards couldn't even read from their system how much they actually billed me. After still not getting any joy with a 'floor level manager' I decided to drive to their head office in Clontarf and sort it that way

Waited around there for about 30 minutes and eventually got somebody on the phone in reception (nobody would come out of their comfy office to talk to me) and eventually got the full refund of €125.30 (which included the late payment fees) after rejecting their initial offers of €25.25 and €88.75

The actual monetary amount is completely insignificant but it boils my blood to even think of allowing them away with so much as a cent

TLDR - I am a stubborn cunt
                                    Hero
                                    "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                      Best abstract I've read.

When you get paid monthly do they work out the yearly tax first and divide by 12 or pay you more at first and then the tax kicks in later on as the band increases? My payslip is very weird this month, paid way more than I thought.

Also in the section fixed and variable payments what does T and N mean?
                                      We have two bonus months per year, first paycheque of the tax year includes the last 6 months of bonus, so we get taxed to the hilt because Tax office must think we're going to be receiving that wage for the remainder of the year.

Means that my net pay gets a bit higher each month though after.

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                      Do you know if non-UK residents can open sterling current accounts with UK banks?
                                      #JeNeSaisPas

Comment

quite possibly interested.
                                        Wont be for a while though, 2 months or so (june honeymoon)
                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                          I'll take it.
                                          nevermind

Comment

good hold!

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                              @Tar

Any particular Dunnes you saw those bars on special?
                                              My vegan circle informed me it was all dunnes but I've asked teh council of elders which one they saw it in. Will get back to you if they deign to answer me. They are often buy one get one for 1 cent in holland and barretts too.

We have two bonus months per year, first paycheque of the tax year includes the last 6 months of bonus, so we get taxed to the hilt because Tax office must think we're going to be receiving that wage for the remainder of the year.

#JeNeSaisPas
                                              Bah so confusing. I always get paid the same generally. I usually get a bonus in march of a lump sum so I was also told I would find out about bonus in march too, yet in this payslip I am getting last years bonus divided by 12. Not sure what happening but may have gotten extra money >_>

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 27-02-15, 12:03.

Comment

Was thinking as my parting gift to the uni to set up a financial technology specialism in our Masters. Anyone high enough in industry that I mention it to positively salivates over the prospect of competing for the graduates.
                                                  Are they learning programming?
                                                  Maths -> R? Matlab?
                                                  Systems -> C++?
                                                  OOP -> Python/Java/F#/C#/VB.Net?
                                                  EPL -> Erlang? Esper?
                                                  Databases -> SQL?

Obviously they can't do them all, but an optional module and therefore a start would be a huge, huge, huge, huge advantage over other Financial Courses.
                                                  Last edited by Emmet; 27-02-15, 12:08.

Comment

#JeNeSaisPas
                                                    My pay varies month to month but I'm always taxed as if I will earn that for the year. Is there a possibility I might be due a refund or is it all levelled off in Dec? Never actually checked.

Comment

Comment

Comment

I got a sweet refund of 6 cent last year.

Teach them python. It's easy enough compared to the likes of C++/matlab to get a grip on.
                                                          Although since I get paid to do it could you make sure they get taught poorly, thanks.

Comment

Think Python / R / Matlab have a natural enough synergy. VB can be integrated easily enough in a current module. R is already deeply in our econometrics modules, so Matlab has a natural home there.

That leaves Python as standalone.

Which of the others would you say is most desirable? Thinking databases - SQL. As a Python/SQL combo would work great.

Don't really know anything about Ruby or how it would fit in with the rest, but was constantly hearing back about that.
                                                            OOP languages are only slightly different. The axioms are mostly extremely transferrable (I work in C# but would be able to code in Java or VB.Net without any fuss). I picked up Python in a week once I'd learned C#. I don't have the same depth of knowledge of libraries and components in Python or Java as I would in C# but that's an experience-only thing. .Net allows you access to Windows Forms and really very quick fire app creation, but the numerical libraries available in Python (numpy) are superior to the .Net libraries that we've made use of (mathnet.numerics). VB would be the least preferrable one to me as it's just plain ugly imo (snob).Ruby for web development not financial engineering.

F# has extremely beneficial characteristics to it for Financial engineering, but is still very niche. It uses different axioms to the other OOP languages and so should be analysed differently. Probably for people who've used it extensively to comment further on, I've just played around here myself with it, but it seems like it has the 'most correct' approach available to several problems that we've had to work around.

If you're doing R, drop Matlab. R is far better supported and free. The learning curve is steeper, absolutely no doubt about that, but one of the first things we did when I got here was start to write all of our Matlab code in other languages so as to get away from all of its (expensive) issues. Matlab was first language I learned, and is really easy to start with, but once you start getting complicated, it does too.

Any SQL at all will do. Top level stuff and quick proc writing only really I'd image. Don't need to be delving much deeper as places will have DB specialists who do all that work for you (AndyFB).
                                                            Last edited by Emmet; 27-02-15, 12:40.

Comment

Anyone any experience of Q?

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                Yup. It's incredible. But a licence per core of 250k per year is pretty steep! (q/kdb+)

Comment

Matlab gets disgustingly complicated fast, at least for the engineering I did with it, but I suppose that was more the maths. It's a horrible yoke anyway, so is VB. Python is beautiful and flexible. R is taught already all over the place, stats modules etc. Emmet is definitely right about SQL, even I have only cursory knowledge of it as you don't need to know it and when you do it's either trivial or get somebody to do it for you. The real use is being able to bang out some script in useful language to know.

tbh if you are leaving set up this for them to learn http://www.adamlynch.com/ked/

Comment

Q - THE VOICE OF Q (1982): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXm-D1mc1r4

??
                                                                    Last edited by eamonhonda; 27-02-15, 12:37.
                                                                    airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                      Q - THE VOICE OF Q (1982)

??

I'd have gone with Q The Winged Serpent

Trailer for a US film, derived from a VHS source.Director: Larry CohenStarred: David Carradine, Michael Moriarty, Candy ClarkAlternative title:* QDVD: Releas...

Comment

Yup. It's incredible. But a licence per core of 250k per year is pretty steep! (q/kdb+)
                                                                        Yeah, have access to it but the learning curve seems fairly steep.

Comment

Comment

Yeah, have access to it but the learning curve seems fairly steep.
                                                                            I'd be moderately useful at it. Use the trial licence for some tinkering, but we'd never be allowed buy it and use it for production so can't depend on too much of it.

QforMortals is the best doc, but even that is steep!

I actually learned SQL through q-sql. The google groups e-mail thing is useful too.

Comment

...

Comment

I was looking into UK bank accounts recently so the GF can get the free 800 odd from switching bonuses up here. I am gonna put my electric bill in her name for a few months and get a solicitor to verify her as well. Also to cycle money through her account to get her a balance transfer credit card, 36 months 0% is free moneyz.

Am looking at the reverse as well for myself, i have a PTSB saving accnt in dundalk since childhood, had current accounts with AIB and someone else that i vaguely remember them closing and sending me cheques for in mid-90s. Think i might need to get a PRSI number though to open current account.
                                                                                Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                                https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                                                                  I'd have gone with Q The Winged Serpent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bjsag2vYlQ
                                                                                  For the day that's in it i'd have gone with:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

This is quite a cool freebie for one day only

Enjoy #FREE ACCESS to the #IrishNewspaperArchives only today! Go to http://bit.ly/1zGPrRO and put Username Freebie & Password Freebie

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                                      what year? I am talking about maybe 1994 to 97 ish I think

Es were wicked expensive too ffs 15 quid too!!!
                                                                                      I am talking from 1992 till about 1998 era. E used to be 20 quid but went down to 15 and then 10. Only took half E and half gram of speed together back in the day lol

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                      iSnow in the hotel trade?

**FOR THE ATTENTION OF THE PEOPLE GIVING OUT ABOUT OUR PRICES ON THE NIGHTS OF 24TH AND 25TH JULY 2015** Dear Guests, We wish to advise that our room...

We wish to advise that our room rates on the nights of 24th and 25th July 2015 are €279 per double room. In case you cannot read numbers, I will write the price in words. Two hundred and seventy nine euro. This time in words and in caps: TWO HUNDRED AND SEVENTY NINE EURO.

As far as I can see, the cheapest hotel room available in Dublin on these nights is €229, and this hotel is nearer to Achill Island than it is Dublin city. In case you weren't aware, an insanely talented, double Brit award winning singer-songwriter and musician is playing a sold out gig in a stadium under 15 minute’s walk from our hotel on these nights. If you are expecting reduced rates on these nights, you need your head examined more than I do. However, if you are a Herald.ie reader, I don’t blame you for being so ill-advised. It’s not your fault at all.

If you are not happy to pay the going rate on the nights of the concerts, may I suggest you check availability in the following establishments:

St Vincent De Paul Shelters: http://bit.ly/1MUHL7z

Dublin Simon Emergency Accommodation: http://bit.ly/1GxxrOi

Peter McVerry Trust Accommodation Services: http://bit.ly/1ANSiuN

...............
                                                                                      That place is just class, had a good few LOL's over some of the stuff done on it. The one about the noisy couple in room 56 is good. Watching peoples reactions is gold! they only have about 30 odd rooms afaik and its all publicity. We been chatting about it in the work too as they think its class.

What colours do you see this dress as?

I see the main body of the dress a shimmering blue almost UV colour (Like the way white appears under a UV light) and the trim a dark copper/gold.
                                                                                      Last edited by MrsFlushdraw; 27-02-15, 15:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                        I am clearly biased, but I think it is fair to say that The Final Furlong Podcast sets a decent standard. Our latest Podcast is off the scale though. Our guest is Rich Ricci and it is absolutely his best and most insightful interview ever.
                                                                                        http://www.attheraces.com/finalfurlongpodcast
                                                                                        The beard bit was insightful ok.

That was an excellent listen WP, he's some operator.
                                                                                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I see Fifty Shades of Grey is now available to dl for all you Horny gits out there
                                                                                          Her sky-ness
                                                                                          © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                                            I see Fifty Shades of Grey is now available to dl for all you Horny gits out there
                                                                                            Yeah cause porn is so hard to come by these days, we'd gladly sit through 2 hours of Utter drivel just for the 5 minutes of crappy erotica on show.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                              Yeah cause porn is so hard to come by these days, we'd gladly sit through 2 hours of Utter drivel just for the 5 minutes of crappy erotica on show.
                                                                                              I saw some Scooby Doo porn last week. It was quite good.

I'm not sure why I just told you that.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                  I saw some Scooby Doo porn last week. It was quite good.

I'm not sure why I just told you that.
                                                                                                  Guessing a parody.

Comment

Productivity can easily not be healthy, it's often used to repress and hide away from mental health issues. Career and money and things are not necessarily a happiness enhancer even when studies say > wealth > happiness. Robin Williams RIP ;_;
                                                                                                    Riggs is right that everybody should see somebody really, it's as important as physical health yet not treated so. $$$ -> hotspur

People are going mad because they see different colours, like that spinning gif of a girl that people saw going different ways.

I drank too much, I'm only in work now
                                                                                                    I see white and gold and it's very hard to see otherwise.

Different tools seem to give different results, but I've seen the real dress

Here is another swatch

I saw something from the person behind the dress and it said it depends on mood what you see. She said the dress is white/gold.

I also heard the dress was at a Scottish wedding and it is actually blue/black. Not sure which one is true lol

Comment

Seems like it was from a Scottish wedding

Comment

...

Comment

Report from the Emirates visit on Wednesday night.

Full prawn sandwich hospitality, great seats even if the game was horrific.

Arsenal were comfortable until the first goal but lost their shape after that.

Sanchez just runs and runs. How Ozil was not taken off is beyond me.

Monaco were very compact and hard to break down but we were all over the place.

Class stadium but no atmosphere. Only buzz was from the Monaco fans.

IMG-20150225-WA0004.jpg
                                                                                                          His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

For those that rent 1 bedroom apartments how much do you pay? Far from town?
                                                                                                            Just looking on daft randomly and my god, most of the places are uninhabitable. Really makes ye want to stay where you are.

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                                                            I saw something from the person behind the dress and it said it depends on mood what you see. She said the dress is white/gold.
                                                                                                            Michelle?!!!

Yeah it appears to be blu/black.

I see blue/gold like you do now. Saw white earlier.

Comment

Irish Times sports journalist Carl O’Malley dies suddenly at 37

Pretty awful. 3 kids including a 7 day old.

Comment

1k, close to the centre of town, should be 40% more.

I was flicking through the IT property supplement yesterday and pretty much every house that looked reasonably nice was 1-2m

Comment

Moore Street traders selling selfie sticks. Fck yeah!!!
                                                                                                                  Would have made this a bit easier.

IMG-20150204-WA0001.jpg
                                                                                                                  His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Just saw Leonard Nimoy died there. 83 he was. Great actor and fond memories of Spock

Comment

That is really sad. His poor wife and kids

Comment

Decided to invest in a new Vape and battery

Kangertech Aero Tank mini and Elego twist VV battery.

It is 10 times better than the starter kit I bought.

Much cleaner and easier to use and better hit off it as well.

Comment

Heard the manager of that hotel on the radio earlier, stuck to his guns,no apologies. Great to see in this day and age, people are often way too quick to fold to pressure from the facebook and twitter outrage police.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X