Currie Cup Final - Natal Sharks vs Golden Lions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Currie Cup Final - Natal Sharks vs Golden Lions

Thoughts on taking the Natal Sharks in the Currie Cup Final?

It's 23/20 on bet365 or 10/11 on PP.

The match is in as a scratch H/C everywhere. The teams are pretty evenly matched but I think the Sharks are the better outfit man for man, and beat the Lions heavily (53 - 9) two weeks ago, although both teams were in the playoffs at that stage.

Anybody with a good rugby knowledge tell me why this isn't value?

Well i think that the Lions are just a good provinical team with really only one top quality player in Josh Strauss. The fact that they had no Boks going to the world cup allowed them to build a good unit and progress well throughout the season. They did have a good win over Western Province in the Semis who have world class backs like Habana JDV Fourie, but WPs pack isnt awesome and the Lions unity up front seems to have won the game for them.

However Sharks have a real class in this competition. They are the current champs and have won it twice since 2008. Having seen last years final and watching players like Patrick Lambie thriving in a final along with fringe Boks and Currie veterans in Keegan Daniel and Ryan Krankowski, they have a the mettle to do a back to back.

A lot of the Sharks Intl players are only back in the squad a few weeks since their exit in the WC. However this is a good list of players including JP Pietersen, Pat Lambie, Du Plessis, Beast. While in fairness some of these players are not at their best , Du Plessis has hit a rich vain of form recently.

These players were involved in the trashing of the Lions only 2 weeks ago

wrn, rugby, highlights, absa, currie, cup, 2011, natal, sharks, golden, lions, south, africa

So while that game did not mean knockout for either team, i thought it still showed how the sharks are clearly the better team when they play with their tails up and are clearly hungry for the cup.

An Irish analogy to this game would be: imagine if Ulster had been playing Magners for 18 weeks and managed to have a top class BackRower (ie Ferriss) focusing only on this competition but are playing Leinster in the final. Leinster only have their players back for 2 weeks since world cup. Yet now matter how good Ulster could be, at the end of the day you start matching up players like Darcy and Drico Vs Marshall and Spence, SOB Heaslip Healy Ross all back too against the ulster equivalents and you realize that this really can only go one way

Also just to mention that Michalak is fit and ready to play on Saturday and is the tourneys top points scorer this year, and obv didnt travel with France to WC.

Ive already put 20 on the bet and im tempted to put even more on this before the game starts. I just think a scratch on this match seems crazy considering the gulf in quality of players.

Comment

Just to point out that in case anyone thinks this is two independent minds agreeing about the game and wants to hop on, trytime suggested the bet to me initially, so I'm only following him!

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
        Thoughts on taking the Natal Sharks in the Currie Cup Final?

It's 23/20 on bet365 or 10/11 on PP.

The match is in as a scratch H/C everywhere. The teams are pretty evenly matched but I think the Sharks are the better outfit man for man, and beat the Lions heavily (53 - 9) two weeks ago, although both teams were in the playoffs at that stage.

Anybody with a good rugby knowledge tell me why this isn't value?
        The result 2 weeks ago was a lions B team.
        The Sharks have a better pack of forwards and if they could scrum all day and keep the game tight they will win but in the semi the Lions played at a great pace their forwards delivered super quick ball.
        There outhalf is an excellent goal kicker too
        tehre captain joshua Strauss has the best beard in world rugby too
        the sharks should be 3 or 4 point favs

Comment

Originally posted by SICKPUPPY View Post
          Just saw that, wonderful beard alright!

Comment

Originally posted by SICKPUPPY View Post
            The result 2 weeks ago was a lions B team.
            The Sharks have a better pack of forwards and if they could scrum all day and keep the game tight they will win but in the semi the Lions played at a great pace their forwards delivered super quick ball.
            There outhalf is an excellent goal kicker too
            the sharks should be 3 or 4 point favs
            Agreed on the spread and beard.

Comment

Also the fact that its a home fixture for the lions may be keeping the H/C tighter.
              Last edited by trytime; 26-10-11, 11:16. Reason: Keane is a loof

Comment

EDIT: I'm an idiot.

Comment

Working...
                X