How to buy shares?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to buy shares?

I am completely new to buying shares etc. Sorry mods if this is the wrong forum but I am just wondering whats the best site to use?

Need to do a lot more research as I have read not many things out there worth buying shares of at the moment.

Cheers

Could somebody fill me in. I havn't a clue how to get started but it's something I'm interested in doing.

the financial gurus on here were recommending blue chips but please don't ask if now is a good time to buy bank of ireland shares.

Comment

Is it not always a good time to buy Bank of Ireland shares?

Comment

Originally posted by A_CitizenErased View Post
        I am completely new to buying shares etc. Sorry mods if this is the wrong forum but I am just wondering whats the best site to use?

Need to do a lot more research as I have read not many things out there worth buying shares of at the moment.

Cheers
        Are you looking for a site to trade on OR a site that provides information about what shares to buy ? Two very different things.

If it is new to you then I would suggest you sign up to a trading platform that allows you to paper trade until you are confident that you know what you are doing. This is a minefield between pure equity trades, spreads, options, futures, fx e.t.c. - learning poker is a doddle compared to learing how to trade. Don't risk any money until you have educated yourself and try to stick to a particular discipline and stay away from highly leveraged products.

Sites to review

Education & Information
        ======================
        The Motley Fool has been providing investing insights and financial advice to millions of people for over 25 years. Learn how we make the world Smarter, Happier & Richer.

At Yahoo Finance, you get free stock quotes, up-to-date news, portfolio management resources, international market data, social interaction and mortgage rates that help you manage your financial life.

Trading
        ======================

Leading online trading solutions for traders, investors and advisors, with direct global access to stocks, options, futures, currencies, bonds and funds. Transparent, low commissions and financing rates and support for best execution.

If you want to chat offline - PM me.

PP

Comment

fool.com?

they will spam the hell out of you with once in a lifetime offers.

If you want to learn properly how to invest you may as well do an accountancy qualification, the ACCA would probably be the best and when you have that finished do the CFA qualification and in about 5-6 years you may have enough of an idea what your doing and thats when you start to pay some ridiculous rake.

Most hedge funds failed to outperform the market between 2000-2005.

You have "professionals" recommending the Swiss Franc/$US when it is likely they will devalue the currency.

Every man and his dog is talking about buying gold - just the same way they were about property 6 years ago. Sure ya can't lose.

Buffet is still the king imo, learn as much as you can about his strategies and you won't go too far wrong. Don't allow anyone else to gamble with your money and don't get greedy.

Comment

Thanks for all the info lads,

Lets just say I wanted to buy shares in Ryanair (just an example)

Where do I go about doing that?

Comment

If you have to invest in gold I would stay away from paper gold - you should buy physical gold and store it within easy reach.

Comment

Originally posted by A_CitizenErased View Post
                Thanks for all the info lads,

Lets just say I wanted to buy shares in Ryanair (just an example)

Where do I go about doing that?
                If you want to buy the shares the cheapest way to trade is online. Try the tdwaterhouse site I listed above. You can also buy through a broker but expect to pay hefty fees. You used to be able to buy over the counter in AIB but I'm not sure if thats the case any more. Big commissions again. Online is the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by PokerPiper View Post
                  If you want to buy the shares the cheapest way to trade is online. Try the tdwaterhouse site I listed above. You can also buy through a broker but expect to pay hefty fees. You used to be able to buy over the counter in AIB but I'm not sure if thats the case any more. Big commissions again. Online is the way to go.
                  So if I was to sign up online with TdWaterHouse I could buy shares on there?

Sorry for the silly questions but I am a complete noob to this and trying to find out as much as I can.

Comment

Originally posted by CheckRaise View Post
                    If you have to invest in gold I would stay away from paper gold - you should buy physical gold and store it within easy reach.

Why?
                    X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                    Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by CheckRaise View Post
                      If you want to learn properly how to invest you may as well do an accountancy qualification, the ACCA would probably be the best .
                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

the star pays too much imo

Comment

@CR; there is absolutely no need to have an accounting background when it comes to trading, in fact I'd say it would be an active hindrance as accountants are trained to think in a way that is wholly incompatible with a trading mindset

accountants are good at accounting (well, some of then anyway), advising someone to spend years getting a qualification that has no relevance to their end goal (becoming a successful trader) is pretty counter-productive, don't you think?
                            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Neither the lad who started the thread or the vast majority of people who read these sort of threads want to become traders. Some think they want to become speculators until they get burnt.

They want to know what stock is going to go up, where they should put their money to provide for their retirement or their childrens education fund or to help them with their first house deposit.

If he wants to become more knowledgeable about where his own money is going or to invest it himself it would help if he knew how to understand a financial statement.

I'm not saying to go out and do all the accountancy exams to see where to put his piggy bank, I'm giving him an idea of what it takes to become good at the game.

Remember watching high stakes poker first and thinking I could beat them and then realising it was pretty fucking difficult to beat NL200 (online!)... I'm giving him an idea of what it would take to properly understand how to make money from the financial markets.

Comment

cheapest and best online broker for the odd trade is NIB in Ireland. wait till you are in Germany so you can open a proper cheap online account and buy your shares then.

LOL at accountancy being the degree of choice. accountants can make decent analysts, not traders. (which is probably what you were trying to say?)
                                Last edited by shrapnel; 24-01-12, 19:34.

Comment

Working...
                                X