A2s, ace on flop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A2s, ace on flop

I haven't posted a hand on IPB before - would be interested in comments on this one... especially where I put the <?>s

$20+2 buy in 6 handed... only 2nd hand so I know next to nothing about anyone. AirEnzo won the first hand 3 betting pre flop and betting the flop and turn quite aggressively.

Table Turbo #1647100 (Real Money) -- Seat 2 is the button
    Total number of players : 6/6
    Seat 1: K0ZZM0 (2000)
    Seat 2: AirEnzo (2440)
    Seat 3: EssElls (1960)
    Seat 4: ordner0603 (2000)
    Seat 5: biagle (1960)
    Seat 6: Mick76111 (1640)
    EssElls posts small blind (20)
    ordner0603 posts big blind (40)
    ** Dealing down cards **
    Dealt to EssElls [ Ad, 2d ]
    biagle folds
    Mick76111 calls (40)
    K0ZZM0 calls (40)
    AirEnzo raises 120 to 120
    EssElls calls (100)
    ordner0603 folds
    Mick76111 folds
    K0ZZM0 calls (80)

I decided to call here even though I am out of position. My plan is to bet a draw <?>, I'm not sure if I had a plan for an A other than knowing that hitting an ace with my crap kicker could be really bad.

** Dealing Flop ** : [ Ah, 5c, 4d ]
    EssElls checks
    K0ZZM0 checks
    AirEnzo bets (80)
    EssElls calls (80)
    K0ZZM0 folds

I've hit my ace and a gut shot. I decided to check to see if either opponent wants to bet. AirEnzo's bet is very small and does not look like an Ace <?> so I call planning to check raise the turn <?>

** Dealing Turn ** : [ Ac ]
    EssElls checks
    AirEnzo checks

I'm pretty sure I am way ahead now - surely he bets an ace <?>

** Dealing River ** : [ 3d ]
    EssElls bets (450)

I bet my straight which I think is irrelevant anyway as I reckon I was already ahead with AAA. I don't think I get looked up much here unless he has an ace (unlikely) or high pair and thinks I am weak. I thought I had nothing to lose by betting and had some chance of being called by a weaker hand <???>

Pre-flop:
    I would fold, as coming in, especially for a raise, with a hand like that, OOP, can leave you with a lot of tougher decisions later on, which it did. Also, in a tournament structure, I don't feel there's any need to take any risks so early on.

Flop:
    Your plan was to bet the draw, and you flopped a draw, but didn't bet. I'm not sure why you didn't, and to be honest, I don't know what the best move would be there.
    However, after Villain bets small, I think a raise would have been better than a call, as you are giving the other player the control in the hand. If you have him beat, you don't have him beat strongly enough to slow play, and you allow him to outdraw you without giving him the option of folding. In short, I think check-raising the flop would be stronger than waiting to check-raise the turn, by which time he might outdraw you, if you even have the best hand on the flop.

Turn:
    Again, you still could be beaten, but it's hard to tell if you don't bet. If you have the best hand, you're allowing the Villain to outdraw you on the river, he may have picked up a club draw at this point, and even if he has KK or something, you're allowing him to draw to a full house, however unlikely he is to hit it.
    The point is, if he is drawing, you're losing value in the long run by checking with the best hand, and paying him off if he hits a sneaky draw on the river.

River:
    Not sure if this is too high for a value bet or not, and it's possible that you are beat.
    2nd hand into the tournament with no information on the opponent, he could have raised PF with Ace rag or even a small pocket pair, and has a full house. But I think it's hard to know what he has, as you played with no strength in the hand until the river. Overall I think you lose money in the long run with this situation.

(I don't claim to be a good player btw, just my two cents! Interested to hear what others have to say.. )

Comment

PF I fold as A2 you are in alot of trouble when an A hits.

Flop?

Turn.?

River I say call. You have a str and only losing to a full house.

Can't think about it longer sorry heading out.

Comment

Preflop is a really easy fold.

Having a plan to donk the flop if you flop a draw against unknowns? That doesn't seem very good. Should depend on board texture too. The flop is adds so much information that you shouldn't really have a plan to do a certain thing in a pretty general situation against unknowns. You could conceivably have a plan to donk on certain board textures, but they would have to be a lot more specific than "a draw".

Donking this flop would obv be terrible. You played the flop obv fine.

River is a funnyish spot in that its unlikely he has an ace or a big hand. Its probably best to bet quite small and hope he calls pretty weak. Betting big isn't great, cos he only then calls with his aces, and they're not overly likely. You want to get value. I'd fold if shoved on or raised as well.
        Foldaramus et foldarabimus

Comment

Originally posted by TommyGunne View Post
          Preflop is a really easy fold.

Having a plan to donk the flop if you flop a draw against unknowns? That doesn't seem very good. Should depend on board texture too. The flop is adds so much information that you shouldn't really have a plan to do a certain thing in a pretty general situation against unknowns. You could conceivably have a plan to donk on certain board textures, but they would have to be a lot more specific than "a draw".
          interesting comment.... when summarising the hand I was trying to remember and recreate what I was thinking and when I say "I planned to bet a draw" what I really mean on reflection is that that is typically what I end up doing with a suiited low-kicker ace.

Is calling the raise pf always wrong... even 3 handed to a cut off raiser? If it was cash with deep stacks would it be better?

Comment

Working...
          X