Irish Open 2020
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Poker > General Poker
Closed Thread

Old 22-03-19, 10:37   #50641
RichieM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strewelpeter View Post
From day one I have not heard anyone make a coherent even vaguely plausible argument that leaving would be a good thing.
At this stage it's just like a person engaged in self harm, it's impossible to make them stop, they have to figure it out for themselves.
Pretty sure they give extensive counseling and in some cases take into care people who are self harming.

This isn’t really small cuts to cry for help but taking a chainsaw to your arm and being fully convinced it will grow back with 50% more muscle mass.
2 Thanks From:
Old 22-03-19, 10:42   #50642
Raoul Duke III
The King

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieM View Post
Pretty sure they give extensive counseling and in some cases take into care people who are self harming.

This isn’t really small cuts to cry for help but taking a chainsaw to your arm and being fully convinced it will grow back with 50% more muscle mass.
Fuck them at this stage.

The EU really put it up to parliament last night. They know there's no point dealing with May anymore.
Old 22-03-19, 11:55   #50643
DeadParrot
Just Resting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
Fuck them at this stage.

The EU really put it up to parliament last night. They know there's no point dealing with May anymore.
Tusk: according to the Pope, Hell is still empty, so there’s a lot of room

Old 22-03-19, 11:56   #50644
Denny Crane
Undefeated

Quote:
Wow if this is true Boeing might as well just close up shop.

Safety features implicated in the Lion crash are sold as an optional extra
Yeah, the whole thing from start to finish is so different from how aviation normally works (multiple separate redundancies, tough thorough investigations etc). company is levered to the hilt, may help explain it.

Last edited by Denny Crane; 22-03-19 at 12:06.
Old 22-03-19, 12:12   #50645
6starpool
Administrator

Quote:
From day one I have not heard anyone make a coherent even vaguely plausible argument that leaving would be a good thing.
At this stage it's just like a person engaged in self harm, it's impossible to make them stop, they have to figure it out for themselves.
Did you not hear about the blue passports?

N.B. Ignore the fact that this was an available option anyway.
Old 22-03-19, 12:12   #50646
Strewelpeter

Old 22-03-19, 12:14   #50647
ComradeCollie

Quote:
Wow if this is true Boeing might as well just close up shop.

Safety features implicated in the Lion crash are sold as an optional extra
I'm still waiting for Zuuroys opinion. For all I know those features are as important as cupholders in a car.
Old 22-03-19, 13:18   #50648
DeadParrot
Just Resting

Blair coming across quite well.
Not that it's difficult in contrast to the headers over there
2 Thanks From:
Old 22-03-19, 13:28   #50649
Raoul Duke III
The King

Interesting stuff - seems like UK govt saying MV3 next week and when\if it fails, it will be followed by indicative non-whipped votes on:

Quote:
Understand Number 10 now seriously considering indicative votes on Brexit next week. Government source tells me there could be 7 options: PM deal, revocation, second ref, deal + customs union, deal + customs + single market, FTA or no deal
How the hell does that work? Parliament picks their preferred option and the powerless May conveys that message to the EU?
Old 22-03-19, 13:33   #50650
Denny Crane
Undefeated

STV?

2 Thanks From:
Old 22-03-19, 13:39   #50651
Strewelpeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourierCollie View Post
I'm still waiting for Zuuroys opinion. For all I know those features are as important as cupholders in a car.
Fuck those lads buzzing around in their glorified lawnmowers

I don't want to be sitting in a plane the airline has paid $60 million for that Boeing, months after the Lion crash are saying that an “angle of attack indicator” and an “angle of attack disagree light” are optional extras.

Very hard to frame Boeing's whole position as anything other than late stage capitalism gone off the wall batshit crazy.
Old 22-03-19, 13:47   #50652
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Crane View Post
What kinda stuff are you getting done with python?
Mainly doing textual analysis stuff. As finance research is 99.999999999% numerical it automatically makes it novel and research journals seem to be (a) falling over themselves to accept it, and (b) assuming the research is taking years rather than weeks to complete.

Started with some basic readability measures as there was an open strand of the literature saying that bad news tends to be communicated within complex language and good news in simple language. Have a fancy thing that yesterday analysed 9,000 documents and calculated their complexity scores, while previous research has taken years to analyse a few hundred documents.

Now the big focus is on topic modelling. A technique developed by Andrew Ng and colleagues back in 2003 but previously unapplied in finance. Its fascinating stuff - essentially its a statistical technique for learning what the common topics are in huge databases of documents.

We're using that now for a few things. One is for deep learning of sentiment in USDA commodity announcements. The big problem with sentiment analysis at the moment is that you can either calculate full document sentiment or sentiment around key words. Full document sentiment risks very generalised sentiment and key word sentiment means you lose the context.

Through topic modelling we're able to identify clusters of words in a document that speak to a topic and extract sentiment related to that cluster. So it should be way more meaningful in terms of identifying real sentiment. Think that's quite fascinating in terms of its potential.

This is a very nicely put together video on topic modelling.

Old 22-03-19, 13:48   #50653
6starpool
Administrator

Quote:
Interesting stuff - seems like UK govt saying MV3 next week and when\if it fails, it will be followed by indicative non-whipped votes on:

How the hell does that work? Parliament picks their preferred option and the powerless May conveys that message to the EU?
There could be zero or multiple of those options voted for though. What then? Some people might vote against one that they would actually accept because they would prefer an option that won't get accepted, but then the one they could have lived with isn't available anymore because they voted against it.
Old 22-03-19, 13:49   #50654
6starpool
Administrator

All the while ignoring the fact that the EEA countries don't want them in their club dominating it while complaining about being in it in the first place. The love ignoring facts, the brits.
Old 22-03-19, 13:50   #50655
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

Quote:
Fuck those lads buzzing around in their glorified lawnmowers

I don't want to be sitting in a plane the airline has paid $60 million for that Boeing, months after the Lion crash are saying that an “angle of attack indicator” and an “angle of attack disagree light” are optional extras.

Very hard to frame Boeing's whole position as anything other than late stage capitalism gone off the wall batshit crazy.
That image of the poor pilot lads desperating reading the manual as the plane was crashing into the land is not going to do their sales much good.
Old 22-03-19, 13:51   #50656
Strewelpeter

Quote:

She will become a zombie PM with a cabinet maybe even consisting of the likes of Letwin and Starmer

Time will be big problem , as ERG could attempt filibuster the progress of any amendments, however after the existing no deal rejection vote May would be morally obliged to sign off on that and in the face of obstructive tactics the only way to to that might have to be unilateral revocation followed by Euro and General elections.
Old 22-03-19, 14:13   #50657
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Keane
It'll never happen.
Old 22-03-19, 14:29   #50658
Raoul Duke III
The King

Quote:
She will become a zombie PM with a cabinet maybe even consisting of the likes of Letwin and Starmer

Time will be big problem , as ERG could attempt filibuster the progress of any amendments, however after the existing no deal rejection vote May would be morally obliged to sign off on that and in the face of obstructive tactics the only way to to that might have to be unilateral revocation followed by Euro and General elections.
'become a zombie PM' ...happened 2 years ago
Old 22-03-19, 14:46   #50659
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

A somewhat controversial thought:

Of the choices available, probably the option with May's Deal plus custom union (which makes the backstop redundant) is the most likely to find enough support. In which case Labour and the mighty Corbyn would have won house support for their preferred option despite being in the minority.

DP - get your crush back on!
Old 22-03-19, 15:10   #50660
Gimmeabreak
Chief Tipster

Tune into 426 Racing TV tonight (which is freeview on Friday evenings from 6 - 9 I think) to listen to yours truly talk nonsense about his favourite topic. Dundalk racing.
Closed Thread

Irish Poker Boards > Poker > General Poker