Irish Poker Boards
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-18, 09:27   #781
DeadParrot
Grand High Wizard
 
DeadParrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 18,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadParrot View Post
Juggling at the moment;
Dr.Sleep (sequel to the Shining) Finished this...excellent
Why we sleep
Fear: Trump in the whitehouse Finished this....An actual interesting view into the chaos there, woodward never really goes for the fantastical and approaches all playeers pretty evenly and without visible bias. Even Jared looks good for the Saudi trip.
Homo Deus

it can get a little confusing
Also went off on a mini adventure of reading all the Mr.Mercedes books again as I'm just a fucking glutton for stephen king books.
And then read the outsider, which is a kinda sorta linked book he released last year.
If you haven't read them, I highly recommend them.

I've also got my reading order muddled up so missed why we sleep and homo dues and went straight to Factfulness by Hans Rosling based on recommendations here by Keane
__________________
People say I should be more humble
I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
The OnePlus 6, when you absolutely have to have the best phone in the room, accept no substitutes.
get 20 towards accessories or discount one your phone on @ oneplus.net. We all win
DeadParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 11-10-18, 10:40   #782
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast
 
Keane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Under the sea
Posts: 13,492
Send a message via MSN to Keane
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadParrot View Post
I've also got my reading order muddled up so missed why we sleep and homo dues and went straight to Factfulness by Hans Rosling based on recommendations here by Keane
I actually just finished that totally unexpectedly last night. If you are reading on the Kindle beware - about 25% of the book is acknowledgements, bibliography etc. It's simply a book that everyone ought to read.

In the meantime I'm sailing through the Putin book. It's very interesting and surprisingly easy to follow despite the huge array of names I would have had no familiarity with previously.

I started Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain the other night as well. I'm taken aback by how well written it is. 10% of the way in and it seems like it's going to be an enjoyable read.

I'm really trying to read a broad scope of things at the moment as probably comes across. Anyone with any suggestions for books that are a good layman's jumping off point into interesting topics I would be interested to hear them, along the lines of AI Superpowers mentioned by Hitch earlier. I've also added The Codebreakers to my list as it is meant to be an accessible intro to cryptology and its history.
__________________
GAA Live Scores
Keane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-18, 10:54   #783
brady23
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keane View Post
I actually just finished that totally unexpectedly last night. If you are reading on the Kindle beware - about 25% of the book is acknowledgements, bibliography etc. It's simply a book that everyone ought to read.

In the meantime I'm sailing through the Putin book. It's very interesting and surprisingly easy to follow despite the huge array of names I would have had no familiarity with previously.

I started Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain the other night as well. I'm taken aback by how well written it is. 10% of the way in and it seems like it's going to be an enjoyable read.

I'm really trying to read a broad scope of things at the moment as probably comes across. Anyone with any suggestions for books that are a good layman's jumping off point into interesting topics I would be interested to hear them, along the lines of AI Superpowers mentioned by Hitch earlier. I've also added The Codebreakers to my list as it is meant to be an accessible intro to cryptology and its history.
I don't know about jumping off point but The Beginning of Infinity by David Deutsch might be a new contender for best book I'veread or at least the most thought provoking. He has a decent pod with Sam Harris. I have the book and Audio book as some of it is so nuanced I find it even harder to grasp over audio but it's excellent.

It discusses the differences between meanings of Infinity between mathematical concepts being abstract and those of physics, moral philosophy. It centers on the bounds of human knowledge, the multiverse. It's a lot to be honest and I'll need to read it again but it's brilliant.
brady23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-18, 11:04   #784
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast
 
Keane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Under the sea
Posts: 13,492
Send a message via MSN to Keane
Quote:
Originally Posted by brady23 View Post
I don't know about jumping off point but The Beginning of Infinity by David Deutsch might be a new contender for best book I'veread or at least the most thought provoking. He has a decent pod with Sam Harris. I have the book and Audio book as some of it is so nuanced I find it even harder to grasp over audio but it's excellent.

It discusses the differences between meanings of Infinity between mathematical concepts being abstract and those of physics, moral philosophy. It centers on the bounds of human knowledge, the multiverse. It's a lot to be honest and I'll need to read it again but it's brilliant.
That sounds excellent, thanks for the recommendation.
__________________
GAA Live Scores
Keane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-18, 11:04   #785
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast
 
Keane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Under the sea
Posts: 13,492
Send a message via MSN to Keane
Another one I have on my coffee table to knock off a few pages every now and again is Exactly: How Precision Engineers Created the Modern World which I thought would be a good fit for this polymathy mission I've given myself. I'm not very far into it but so far it has briefly discussed the LIGO experiment, the Antikythera mechanism and the steam engine, so suitably broad!
__________________
GAA Live Scores
Keane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-18, 11:08   #786
DeadParrot
Grand High Wizard
 
DeadParrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 18,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keane View Post

I started Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain the other night as well. I'm taken aback by how well written it is. 10% of the way in and it seems like it's going to be an enjoyable read.

It's a simply wonderful book.

I've a habit of revisiting books that I enjoy. A mental pair of slippers if you will.
This is on that list.
A cooks tour is also great, his love of food comes to the fore and I learned how to drink vodka like a Russian
__________________
People say I should be more humble
I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
The OnePlus 6, when you absolutely have to have the best phone in the room, accept no substitutes.
get 20 towards accessories or discount one your phone on @ oneplus.net. We all win
DeadParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 11-10-18, 11:18   #787
Denny Crane
Undefeated
 
Denny Crane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 10,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keane View Post
I actually just finished that totally unexpectedly last night. If you are reading on the Kindle beware - about 25% of the book is acknowledgements, bibliography etc. It's simply a book that everyone ought to read.

In the meantime I'm sailing through the Putin book. It's very interesting and surprisingly easy to follow despite the huge array of names I would have had no familiarity with previously.

I started Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain the other night as well. I'm taken aback by how well written it is. 10% of the way in and it seems like it's going to be an enjoyable read.

I'm really trying to read a broad scope of things at the moment as probably comes across. Anyone with any suggestions for books that are a good layman's jumping off point into interesting topics I would be interested to hear them, along the lines of AI Superpowers mentioned by Hitch earlier. I've also added The Codebreakers to my list as it is meant to be an accessible intro to cryptology and its history.
Yeah Bourdain was amazing. I remember coming across his original New Yorker article years ago and picking up his books straight after.


Maybe Bill Brysons short history of everything? It's a long time since I read it but he gives insight into a wide range of topics.
__________________

Denny Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-18, 11:45   #788
mdoug
Member
 
mdoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,018
Any recommendations for historical audio books. Looking to take advantage of commute to/from work and exercise and audio books would be the job, any pms with guidance on best places to look would be top notch.
__________________
Go big or go homeless.
mdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-18, 13:28   #789
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast
 
Keane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Under the sea
Posts: 13,492
Send a message via MSN to Keane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Crane View Post
Maybe Bill Brysons short history of everything? It's a long time since I read it but he gives insight into a wide range of topics.
I had that on audio years ago and thought it was brilliant. It's one I might dig out again alright.

I'm not necessarily after individual books with broad scopes, more a list of books that are decent primers across a broad scope of topics. It's just a bit of a hobby I'm pursuing at the moment.

I'll give a list of examples I have either read or have been recommended. Not saying they are the essential works in any particular field just good books on diverse topics.

Quote:
Investing - A Random Walk Down Wall Street
Money Management - Your Money or Your Life
Totalitarianism - 1984
Soccer - Inverting the Pyramid
Atheism - God is not Great
History of Science - A Brief History of Nearly Everything
Sports Statistics - Moneyball
Evolution - The Blind Watchmaker
Roman Empire - Rubicon
Apollo Program - A Man on the Moon
Mormonism - Under the Banner of Heaven
Restaurant Industry - Kitchen Confidential
String Theory - An Elegant Universe
US Imperialism - The Essential Chomsky
War on Drugs - Chasing the Scream
The Financial Crisis - The Big Short
Relativity - A Brief History of Time
Zen - The Book on the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
History of Humanity - Sapiens
Cryptology - The Codebreakers
Artificial Intelligence - AI Superpowers
Technological Change - The Second Machine Age
Overcoming Adversity - Man's Search for Meaning
How to Think About the World - Factfulness
Productivity - Getting Things Done
Bullshit - Bad Science
Middle East Geopolitics - The Great War for Civilisation
US Civil War - Team of Rivals
Mathematics - God Created the Integers
Thinking Outside the Box - Freakonomics
Alternative Medicine - Trick or Treatment
Obviously a fairly scattered and random list - feel free to add to it.
__________________
GAA Live Scores
Keane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-18, 13:29   #790
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast
 
Keane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Under the sea
Posts: 13,492
Send a message via MSN to Keane
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoug View Post
Any recommendations for historical audio books. Looking to take advantage of commute to/from work and exercise and audio books would be the job, any pms with guidance on best places to look would be top notch.
You might consider History of Rome and Hardcore History - both are podcasts rather than books but are ridiculously good. The Hardcore History of WW1 is probably the greatest series of podcasts ever done.
__________________
GAA Live Scores
Keane is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 13-10-18, 11:25   #791
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast
 
Keane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Under the sea
Posts: 13,492
Send a message via MSN to Keane
There's a bunch of 'hourly history' kindle books available for free on amazon at the moment:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hourly%20Hi...price-asc-rank

They are probably shite but free is pretty cheap so...
__________________
GAA Live Scores
Keane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-18, 20:58   #792
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart
 
Hitchhiker's Guide To...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Cidre
Posts: 28,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keane View Post
I had that on audio years ago and thought it was brilliant. It's one I might dig out again alright.

I'm not necessarily after individual books with broad scopes, more a list of books that are decent primers across a broad scope of topics. It's just a bit of a hobby I'm pursuing at the moment.

I'll give a list of examples I have either read or have been recommended. Not saying they are the essential works in any particular field just good books on diverse topics.



Obviously a fairly scattered and random list - feel free to add to it.

Thats a class list and it should be stickied somewhere (think I've read about 90% of it)
Hitchhiker's Guide To... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-18, 21:02   #793
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart
 
Hitchhiker's Guide To...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Cidre
Posts: 28,729
Thought Simon Singh's The Code Book was a brilliant intro to cryptology. Amazingly well told.

A book I read last year springs to mind as an obviously brilliant one to read to fit in that list of 'random topics': Masters of Doom: essentially the history of how computer games were developed. Never been so rapted reading a book in recent years!
Hitchhiker's Guide To... is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 13-10-18, 21:39   #794
BennyHiFi
Member
 
BennyHiFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 929
Quick update on Ulysses. Just over half way through now (thoughts of my original November 1 deadline are long gone) and have been amazed again and again how modern it is and relevant to my own life and these times we live in.

A couple of examples stand out. One of the many recurring motifs examined in great depth is Stephan Dadalus' (the thinly veiled Joyce character) mother and how the anti-religious Daedalus refused her request to pray over her dying body and the subsequent mocking of Dedalus by his friends for not honouring the request of a dying woman, his own mother, and his subsequent guilt over this.

When my own mother found out she was terminally ill, not long after i started reading the book, she made a similar request for novenas and lighted candles and the like and Dedalus' dilemma suddenly seemed very real and helped inform my approach to the situation.

Just this week my home place, a small largely unremarkable market town right in the middle of the north, was mentioned. Joyce named it as the place from where a poet called Louis J. Walsh hailed. A bit of research shows Walsh was at college with Joyce and was also mentioned in Portrait of the Artist. His family hailed from a nearby village and still have businesses there. His grandson was a prominent figure in the civil rights movement in the late 60s which my father was a part of and he'd have known the family.

During the summer I noticed from the top floor of the 123 bus that two bars on Dame street had been renamed with references to the book - Mulligan and Haines (used to be Sweeney's or The Sweeney Mongrel) characters who are friends (sort of) of Dedalus and Hely's, part of the Mercantile Bar renamed to reflect the print works and stationary supplier who operated out of the address in the book.

Quare stuff indeed.

Last edited by BennyHiFi; 13-10-18 at 21:41.
BennyHiFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-18, 12:20   #795
brady23
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,208
@Benny I got the usual promo emails the other day and notice Folio Society's issue https://www.foliosociety.com/ulysses.html rated as their No1 book of all time.

I'm off my own reading target for the year but I'm hoping to get close with the audiobooks.
I plan on being a little more strategic by reading multiple books on a given topic so I'm going to read everything by Dan Dennett before moving on.

I read Waking Up by Sam Harris last week, it's basically an overview of secular spirituality, consciousness and meditation. I didn't get much insight from it particularly but the illusion of "I" and the self is interesting.
brady23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 14-10-18, 19:25   #796
BennyHiFi
Member
 
BennyHiFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by brady23 View Post
@Benny I got the usual promo emails the other day and notice Folio Society's issue https://www.foliosociety.com/ulysses.html rated as their No1 book of all time.
Nice! Sadly i already have a collecting addiction and unfortunately books are a black hole i can't afford to go down. Lovely looking edition, mine cost a fiver from Swenys, 1 Lincoln Place.

Co-incidentally i was looking at some of Louis J Walsh's books online (as they are long out of print) and noticed this story about a letter from Michael Collins to Walsh in 1922 which was auctioned in 2003 and expected to fetch e8000.

It was described as "... the most important individual piece of Michael Collins correspondence that's come to light."
BennyHiFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-18, 19:03   #797
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast
 
Keane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Under the sea
Posts: 13,492
Send a message via MSN to Keane
I got a request to join the IPB Goodreads group from someone called 'Mowgli' - did anyone here request to join?
__________________
GAA Live Scores
Keane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-18, 21:06   #798
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart
 
Hitchhiker's Guide To...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Cidre
Posts: 28,729
Tar applied a while ago. (and Mowgli rings a general IPB bell)
Hitchhiker's Guide To... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-18, 11:25   #799
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast
 
Keane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Under the sea
Posts: 13,492
Send a message via MSN to Keane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
Tar applied a while ago. (and Mowgli rings a general IPB bell)
I let Tar in already. I suppose there's no harm to accepting even if it turns out to be a randomer, I was just wondering who it might be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
Thats a class list and it should be stickied somewhere (think I've read about 90% of it)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
Thought Simon Singh's The Code Book was a brilliant intro to cryptology. Amazingly well told.

A book I read last year springs to mind as an obviously brilliant one to read to fit in that list of 'random topics': Masters of Doom: essentially the history of how computer games were developed. Never been so rapted reading a book in recent years!
Thanks for the vote of confidence! I'll add your two suggestions to the list and copy the list into the OP on this thread. I'm sure I have Masters of Doom on a list somewhere as well. Almost picked it up in the bookshop on Saturday but went for Bad Science and A Crack In Creation which is meant to be a great treatment on CRISPR - this technique they have invented for modifying genetic code that can potentially be used for anything from curing disease to designer babies to ending aging.

Again, anyone with any other suggestions please chime in.

Quote:
Investing - A Random Walk Down Wall Street
Money Management - Your Money or Your Life
Totalitarianism - 1984
Soccer - Inverting the Pyramid
Atheism - God is not Great
History of Science - A Brief History of Nearly Everything
Sports Statistics - Moneyball
Evolution - The Blind Watchmaker
Roman Empire - Rubicon
Apollo Program - A Man on the Moon
Mormonism - Under the Banner of Heaven
Restaurant Industry - Kitchen Confidential
String Theory - An Elegant Universe
US Imperialism - The Essential Chomsky
War on Drugs - Chasing the Scream
The Financial Crisis - The Big Short
Relativity - A Brief History of Time
Zen - The Book on the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
History of Humanity - Sapiens
Cryptology - The Codebreakers; The Code Book
Artificial Intelligence - AI Superpowers
Technological Change - The Second Machine Age
Overcoming Adversity - Man's Search for Meaning
How to Think About the World - Factfulness
Productivity - Getting Things Done
Bullshit - Bad Science
Middle East Geopolitics - The Great War for Civilisation
US Civil War - Team of Rivals
Mathematics - God Created the Integers
Thinking Outside the Box - Freakonomics
Alternative Medicine - Trick or Treatment
CRISPR/Gene Editing - A Crack in Creation
History of Game Development - Masters of Doom
__________________
GAA Live Scores
Keane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-18, 11:34   #800
DeadParrot
Grand High Wizard
 
DeadParrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 18,628
Applied to join the group...
__________________
People say I should be more humble
I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
The OnePlus 6, when you absolutely have to have the best phone in the room, accept no substitutes.
get 20 towards accessories or discount one your phone on @ oneplus.net. We all win
DeadParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT. The time now is 04:32.