X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have played poker for a number of years

Hi all,
    I have played poker for a number of years and pretty much know the general rules. The question I have though is about betting, which I havnt done much of. Ok, lets say we are playing Hold'em and I have a sweet hand. A player before me bets his last chip and cant go any harder but I want to. What happens? I am thinking I can only bet up to see his bet and everyone else can only do the same. Is this right? Pretty simple question I know but like I said I am only new to the betting side of it and any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks.

If you are playing no limit and he pushes all in you can reraise as much as you have in front of you if you want
    Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol

Comment

You can go as hard as you want to imo.
      Sweet.
      X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
      Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by twitch1984 View Post
        If you are playing no limit and he pushes all in you can reraise as much as you have in front of you if you want
        If it's heads up I recommend just calling in this spot as the re raise will make you look like a retard.

Comment

Play limit in future, that was you can put the rest of the table to a decision for some of their chips, which is the most important thing in limit holdem...

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Finkel View Post
            If it's heads up I recommend just calling in this spot as the re raise will make you look like a retard.
            I think re raising here is fine if you think you can get your apponent to fold.

Comment

If you have a really sweet hand you should go all in, because your opponent might take more money out of his wallet to put in the pot.

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Finkel View Post
                Originally posted by DAMO72 View Post
                I think re raising here is fine if you think you can get your apponent to fold.
                The prosecution rests!

Comment

Originally posted by edward879 View Post
                  Hi all,
                  I have played poker for a number of years and pretty much know the general rules. The question I have though is about betting, which I havnt done much of. Ok, lets say we are playing Hold'em and I have a sweet hand. A player before me bets his last chip and cant go any harder but I want to. What happens? I am thinking I can only bet up to see his bet and everyone else can only do the same. Is this right? Pretty simple question I know but like I said I am only new to the betting side of it and any help will be appreciated.
                  Thanks.
                  Welcome to IPB Edward.

You are free to bet whatever amount you wish in this spot.The player with one chip can only win multiples of that amount.

Say his last chip is 100 and there is one raise and a call.Mr Last Chip can only win a maximum of 300,plus whatever share of the blinds there is.

Most of the regulars are harmless BTW,if slightly bonkers.
                  Official Head Marshall of Waterford Gay Pride Festival 2015

Comment

if its a pot with 3 or more players in it and player A bets his last chips he is known as allin, you can

a: call, and just match what he has just bet
                    or
                    b: you can reraise, if player C has more chips than you or more chips than player A. this creates a "side pot" which can only be contested between you and player C, the main pot is contested between all 3 players

for example: there is 3 players and the flop and turn have been dealt

player A: 2000 chips
                    player B; 3000 chips
                    player C; 3000 chips

so after the turn, A has all his chips committed and the other 2 players have called so now there is a pot of 6000(main pot).
                    after the river is dealt the other 2 players could go allin and create a side pot between them for 2000.

so if player A wins he can only win 6000 chips and the other side pot would go to either B or C depending on who had the best hand between the two of them.

if player B or C wins then they would win both pots 8000 chips

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Can this be moved to the pokers section, if I think poker is gambling I'll have to give it up, not allowed to gamble anymore... thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by sickhabbit View Post
                        Can this be moved to the pokers section, if I think poker is gambling I'll have to give it up, not allowed to gamble anymore... thanks.
                        hadn't spotted that
                        jesus i shouldn't even be in here ,
                        what with my condition and all that

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Originally posted by sickhabbit View Post
                          Thanks, hadnt spotted it was in Gambling, I've moved to rules and rulings, its probably most suited there

Lads - less have less of smart-assery towards new posters please.

Comment

Perhaps a newbie, ask anything thread like in the old place would be a good idea Kev?
                            We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act, but a habit.

Comment

Originally posted by dannydiamond View Post
                              Perhaps a newbie, ask anything thread like in the old place would be a good idea Kev?
                              Yep good point Danny, it worked well on the Boards forum, so dont see why it shouldnt here.

Comment

spammy mcspam
                                Last edited by KevIRL; 26-09-10, 11:56. Reason: link snippage

Comment

Please fuck off Edward

Comment

Working...
                                  X