UKIPT ME Cork, bubble spot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UKIPT ME Cork, bubble spot

I know a lot of you will probable know about this hand but for would still like to hear honest opinions.

82 players left, 81 been paid.
    I am on a very tuff aggressive table, Jason Thomkins has been active enough (playing very well), history with villain, i opened from early position on 2 occasions when villain 3bet from bb and i folded, villain came over the top of a few raises from other players on several occasions with putting the whole stack in a few times.

1500/3000/300 Jason opens from utg to 6600 i think , villain ships about 75k from HJ, i am in the sb with AsKs sitting on 150k, i was putting villain on JJ,QQ,AQ,AJ now my thinking behind this is that if she has JJ,QQ i would be happy enough to flip and if i win it will put me on about 250k and then i can go on for the win so basically i am not interested in the bare cash which is not going to change my life but 70k would, and if i do loose i still have nearly 80k which is still ok, its still enough to build on imo.

So honest opinions please.

Keith, I dont think you put a foot wrong.

Comment

Seems like you have it worked out already tbh. You have villains range that you beat or flip with. You don't care about the min cash so ICM is thrown out the door. Get them in and run good.

You say Jason has been active enough, has he been active UTG?

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
        Keith, I dont think you put a foot wrong.
        Cheers Dice, i have just been hearing a bit of criticism about the hand, so said i would put it up just to hear what people think, good chatting with you over the wkend, sound man

Comment

Originally posted by Caf View Post
          Seems like you have it worked out already tbh. You have villains range that you beat or flip with. You don't care about the min cash so ICM is thrown out the door. Get them in and run good.

On a few occasions he had been so tbh i felt he was weak enough and he told me he had 9s3s but probably blagging but he did insta fold

Comment

ship it in

Comment

Originally posted by Caf View Post

Jason is a really tough player to play against. He opens from everywhere on the table because he's very confident in his post flop game. Not that it matters, but i'd say he opened to 6k instead of 6.6k as he favours the minraise

As for the hand, i'd be happy enough to get them in here Keith. Even if she had me covered, i think i'd be prepared to stick the lot in.

Comment

Originally posted by TheImprover View Post
                On a few occasions he had been so tbh i felt he was weak enough and he told me he had 9s3s but probably blagging but he did insta fold
                Shipping it all day long so. I didn't really think he would be a nit utg tbh but just checking.

I think the only time we can fold in a spot like this is where we have a read on someone.

Comment

Shove them in super fast. Wouldn't see him with AA KK with this overbet. More like AQ JJ.
                  Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

ez call, even with deeper stacks.

Comment

Ship it in, although on the range and given that its the bubble she would do this here with KK and QQ surely which you seem to discount? Or maybe I'm reading that wrong

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface ste View Post
                        Ship it in, although on the range and given that its the bubble she would do this here with KK and QQ surely which you seem to discount? Or maybe I'm reading that wrong
                        Ya, its every possibility that she could have AA or KK but i was thinking that if she had she would be looking for action so i ruled them hands out.

Comment

Yeah i'm getting it in and hoping this is where my run good works.

We have blockers for the two hands that crush us, we sometimes have them crushed, and it's probably a flip more often the not. Stick the chips in.

Comment

You have Jason's extremely wide range crushed obv so wouldn't be at all concerned with his raise.

Comment

Delighted to shove here tbh. Let's flip good.

Comment

Folding would be silly.

Comment

Looks like ye all agree with my thinking, for those that dont know i did make the call and she had QQ, K high flop and fkn Q on the river

Comment

Ship it in. Unless you think HJ will be playing super tight because of the bubble, I can't see how you can do anything but ship here. AKs is a big hand.

You're putting in 25 BBs with AKs, nothing wrong with that. If Tompkins happens to pick up a hand, that's just tough luck, his range is so wide here it's practically irrelevant.

Comment

Easy ship imo, assuming your range was accurate, which I think it prob is

out of curiosity, what was the basis of the criticism of the hand?

Comment

I'd be worried about your range analysis, no AK? no 1010? and dont be afraid to put AA and KK in there too, cos its still a shove.......

Comment

Cheers Dice, i have just been hearing a bit of criticism about the hand, so said i would put it up just to hear what people think, good chatting with you over the wkend, sound man
                                          What were the criticisms as a matter of interest?

Comment

Would you have posted this thread if you won the hand?

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                              Easy ship imo, assuming your range was accurate, which I think it prob is

out of curiosity, what was the basis of the criticism of the hand?
                                              Originally posted by NicoSanty View Post
                                              What were the criticisms as a matter of interest?
                                              This covers it pretty much I reckon:

Originally posted by thechamp87 View Post
                                              Would you have posted this thread if you won the hand?
                                              You made the right play from what I can see, and make sure you do the same the next time!
                                              "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Anyone think that the bit of info missing from the hand is what utg (jason's) stack is?

HIs opening range may be extremely wide, but even very loose players wake up with a hand now and then too.

Reason I think it is a consideration is that you're happy to get it in with the 3bettor on the basis that if she wins the hand you still have half your stack, but does the same apply if Jason sticks it in too?

EVen though you are more interested in the win than the min cash, you cant win unless you get to the min cash stage.

Maybe my thinking is too tight, but I thinkn you need to allow for the possibility that utg has more than air some of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Lplated View Post
                                                  Anyone think that the bit of info missing from the hand is what utg (jason's) stack is?

HIs opening range may be extremely wide, but even very loose players wake up with a hand now and then too.

Reason I think it is a consideration is that you're happy to get it in with the 3bettor on the basis that if she wins the hand you still have half your stack, but does the same apply if Jason sticks it in too?

EVen though you are more interested in the win than the min cash, you cant win unless you get to the min cash stage.

Maybe my thinking is too tight, but I thinkn you need to allow for the possibility that utg has more than air some of the time.
                                                  After 2 all ins jasons not calling with AK and maybe not even QQ so its such a small variation we shouldnt worry about it + we have an Ace + King for card removal. If he does wake up with KK/AA and takes out both players we still get the min cash anyway

Comment

Jason had a stack of about 180k, he was the chip leader on the table, and it did go through my head that he could have 1010,JJ,QQ, which I figured that he would fold with the action that went on.
                                                    The criticism that I received was from friends, it was more advice than anything, they reckon it was a fold as I.didn't have a chip put into the pot outside of the blinds and 150k was a big enough stack to drive on from and I just did not need to get involved with a drawing hand.

Comment

Jason had a stack of about 180k, he was the chip leader on the table, and it did go through my head that he could have 1010,JJ,QQ, which I figured that he would fold with the action that went on.
                                                      The criticism that I received was from friends, it was more advice than anything, they reckon it was a fold as I.didn't have a chip put into the pot outside of the blinds and 150k was a big enough stack to drive on from and I just did not need to get involved with a drawing hand.
                                                      Ak suited is a premium hand would you call 22 33 a made hand because its a pair?

People who play small mtts likie the big 50 euro freeze outs always spout shur ak jaysis a pair of 2s is ahead of it tis only a drawing hand its not even a pair.

People who advoate afold here may have a small point but will never win a tournament of any magnitude they like talking themselves into a fold and then use results based thinkings to justify it

Comment

I was happy to make the call and I also said to the people that gave the criticism that if I was back again I would do the same thing, I just wanted to get opinions from here, as I said if I win that pot I have the stack to drive on and try and win the event, as I am an aggressive player when I have a big stack as imo you have to be, you can't sit and just hope the cards will fall.

Comment

Hey keith, my input is probably not really accurate because I wasn't at the the table more than two rounds before the hand took place so I can't call on previous history.. But I was sitting directly across from her, and when she shoved it looked so strong I put her on a range of JJ+/AK. It was just the way she had acted in hands before. Had lots of opportunities to enter pots, and kept tanking then just folding, it really looked like she was desperate to make the money. Obv if she had been 3betting quite liberally before that I'm way off.

When you called my first thought was that you were probably lucky to be racing with the AK, but with you having given a much wider range including AQ/AJ to villain the iso shove seems fine.

Btw, the hand I found really interesting happened just before this, when you opened and David O'connor jammed like 50bb's and asked 'do you have AK?' after he thought you had announced 'call'.. Really should post that, serious levels to the thinking process there
                                                          "c'est en faisant n'importe quoi qu'on devient n'importe qui"

Comment

I just looked at it from a math point of view to see what it would say and you have to be pretty certain she will do this with AQ and not AA/KK to be +ev, thats without getting into if you want to take a slight -ev gamble to get a big stack that will be +ev at a later stage.

Fold: 148200 chips, 0.1951
                                                            Win: 236100 chips, 0.2796
                                                            Lose: 75000 chips, 0.1105
                                                            Tie: 155550 chips, 0.2027

Equity needed: 50.02%

QQ, JJ, AKs, AKo
                                                            Hand 0: 48.429% 29.23% 19.20% 42048264 27609036.00 { AKs }
                                                            Hand 1: 51.571% 32.38% 19.20% 46567200 27609036.00 { QQ-JJ, AKs, AKo }

JJ+, AKs, AKo
                                                            Hand 0: 42.806% 27.76% 15.05% 51337164 27822786.00 { AKs }
                                                            Hand 1: 57.194% 42.15% 15.05% 77946096 27822786.00 { JJ+, AKs, AKo }

QQ, JJ, AQs+, AKo

Hand 0: 51.285% 34.23% 17.06% 56259600 28043484.00 { AKs }
                                                            Hand 1: 48.715% 31.65% 17.06% 52034616 28043484.00 { QQ-JJ, AQs+, AKo }

JJ+, AQs+, AKo
                                                            Hand 0: 45.653% 31.90% 13.75% 65548500 28257234.00 { AKs }
                                                            Hand 1: 54.347% 40.60% 13.75% 83413512 28257234.00 { JJ+, AQs+, AKo }

QQ-JJ,AQs-AJs,AQo-AJo (The range you gave in OP)
                                                            Hand 0: 64.841% 63.31% 01.53% 156099408 3779700.00 { AKs }
                                                            Hand 1: 35.159% 33.63% 01.53% 82912968 3779700.00 { QQ-JJ, AQs-AJs, AQo-AJo }

Comment

Originally posted by Winning! View Post
                                                              Btw, the hand I found really interesting happened just before this, when you opened and David O'connor jammed like 50bb's and asked 'do you have AK?' after he thought you had announced 'call'.. Really should post that, serious levels to the thinking process there
                                                              Where were you sitting?, my own immediate toughts on that hand was JJ/QQ or maybe absolutley nothing, after all he was involved in nearly every hand and i did get a double up off him with the set of 9's aswell as taking a pot from him when Jason opened and he flatted, i flatted from the sb with AA, checked it to him and he leads for about 9k, i made it 25k and took the pot down, so maybe with this he could be shoving light, i had AQ in that hand, i think he had about 110k where at the time i had about 130k so imo its an easy fold with the AQ, i'm just glad he did'nt turn his cards as it could have looked like an angleshoot by me, or maybe it was an angleshoot by him, who know's, interesting.

Comment

Where were you sitting?, my own immediate toughts on that hand was JJ/QQ or maybe absolutley nothing, after all he was involved in nearly every hand and i did get a double up off him with the set of 9's aswell as taking a pot from him when Jason opened and he flatted, i flatted from the sb with AA, checked it to him and he leads for about 9k, i made it 25k and took the pot down, so maybe with this he could be shoving light, i had AQ in that hand, i think he had about 110k where at the time i had about 130k so imo its an easy fold with the AQ, i'm just glad he did'nt turn his cards as it could have looked like an angleshoot by me, or maybe it was an angleshoot by him, who know's, interesting.
                                                                I was sat two to your left and to Tompkins right. Didn't get involved in many pots but I was only there three odd rounds. I 3bet/folded to you once.

SB flat with AA after a caller is a very odd play lol, can't say I've ever tried it :P

That hand I felt that instantly he had to have AQ, mayyyyybe JJ. It was just the way he asked, 'do you have AK?', he seemed worried. Plus the shove was ridiculously big, feels like a strong but vulnerable hand he doesn't want to play OOP, AQ/JJ falling right into that category. In any case, his line/table-talk doesn't rep AA/KK/AK very much so the decision is then a bit tougher. The fold was fine though obv with only 2BB invested and 50Bb to call.. lol.

Comment

AK suited or unsuited is not one of my favourite hds having been knocked out of major tournaments with it . but as for yourself in your place I'm calling most times with it and not really worried about who coming after me here either jason has a range so big you get the titanic through it and you left yourself with a working stack if you lost which helps as well

ps the two hds jason showed on my table during the 6 max were KK and KK but i know he had less in the rest of his robbing spree that night haha

Comment

Jebus Keith, call/reshove all day every day. Can't believe anyone told you any different. Absolutely standard.
                                                                    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act, but a habit.

Comment

I chatted about this hand with Kieth, and I see I'm in the minority in my view!! One piece of information that hasnt been posted is that when this lady (villian that shoved for 75-80k) came on that table earlier in the day, Kieth got told that she was a rock from a friend of his who had played throughout day 1 with her.

I 100% agree that if jason wakes up with a hand its just tough shyte really, his holding doesnt really effect this decision as his range is so wide and he's probably just using the bubble period to assemble chips. If a good player came over Jasons raise there, again Ive np getting it in with them. But the only info I have on the villian is that she is a rock. If that info is correct (and IPB'r winning seems to be saying much the same in his post above as he was on the table), does that still make this an instant shove?
                                                                      Maybe Im giving too tight a range to her. From the info provided that she is a rock and looks like she wants to make the money, I'd be giving her a range of JJ+, and definately not putting AJ in there, and maybe not AQ either. A female rock wanting to shove 27bb on the bubble? I guess maybe Im giving her too tight a range.

Comment

This villain was raising you previously from worst spots on table she had hands fo sho. I think her range on the bubble is AA KK QQ JJ or Ak also. She was in terror when bubble was announced and time mucked a hand previous which she looked embarrassed about prob aq or 1010 something like that. It did make her slightly lighter in this hand because it was obvious I was just trying to pound the bubble so I reckon she would shove 1010 over my raise also, I think I still call with your hand even tho I know it's going to be a race, I doubt she has aces or kings as you have ak....it's up to you flip or not.

I did have the old 9c3c and would have hit a flush lol
                                                                        Huh, Math my dear boy is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.

My Poker Blog http://jason-tompkins.blogspot.com
                                                                        My twitter http://twitter.com/#!/blaaaaaah666

Comment

Well as i said con, i was told that she was a rock but he also told me that not to go with that, try and pick up on some info myself, in my op i described the info that i picked up on her, and as i said i had her on JJ or QQ more than anything and was happy to flip and as it turned out that is exactly what she had so i must be doing something right to get the correct read on villain and as i said i want to try and win these big events and imo you have to make vital decisions and be ready to take flips because if you're not prepared to do this at this stage in an event it is going to be very difficult if not near impossible to win these games as we all know how difficult it is to win.

Comment

Originally posted by blaaaaaaah View Post

I did have the old 9c3c and would have hit a flush lol
                                                                            Have to luv it, gd playing with you Jason and must say i was impressed with you're play, that doesn't mean that i wont take you on

Comment

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by Laois Hammer View Post

Fold: 148200 chips, 0.1951
                                                                              Win: 236100 chips, 0.2796
                                                                              Lose: 75000 chips, 0.1105
                                                                              Tie: 155550 chips, 0.2027

That can't be right?
                                                                              How could we need more than 50% to B/E

B/E=(X)(2361)+(1-x)(750)=1482
                                                                              =1611x+750=1482
                                                                              1611x=732
                                                                              x=732/1611= 45.4%

Makes a lot more of those ranges a call, everything except JJ+, AKs, AKo, which is v.tight

Comment

#40
                                                                                Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                That can't be right?
                                                                                How could we need more than 50% to B/E

B/E=(X)(2361)+(1-x)(750)=1482
                                                                                =1611x+750=1482
                                                                                1611x=732
                                                                                x=732/1611= 45.4%

Makes a lot more of those ranges a call, everything except JJ+, AKs, AKo, which is v.tight
                                                                                Yh well we're both correct... yours is the pure chip odds (+/-cEV), I put it into icm explorer and tried to tweak it for an mtt as good as possible and its usually pretty bang on, i did say it was from a math point of view without taking into account if you wanted to take a -Ev gamble (which of course could be +cEV)...

note, i gave everyone else at the table the average chip stack for that stage of the tournament which seemed like the best way to run it without having a hand history or full stack sizes

SPOILER
                                                                                Chip odds: 45.52%
                                                                                Risk premium: 4.5%
                                                                                Chips gained by marginal call: 7232.98.
                                                                                Ties count as 54.46% of a win.
                                                                                SD of marginal call: $17.81.

Comment

#41
                                                                                  The 14k in the middle is a bigger factor then IMC surely.

Does Pokerstove account for blockers?
                                                                                  Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                    The 14k in the middle is a bigger factor then IMC surely.
                                                                                    Yes thats why its +cEV and we're all going to take the flip to get a stack.
                                                                                    Im not trying to push icm and say it matters in this spot i just felt like doing it and might aswel post it when i did.

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                    Does Pokerstove account for blockers?
                                                                                    Yeh if player 1 has AK, there will be less combinations of AA/KK/AQ etc in the other range

Comment

#43
                                                                                      No angle, i genuinely thought you said call and had my cards halfway flipped up before the guy beside me quickly said that you had said count and not call. It was just a brainfart at a very inopportune time. I also didn't have nearly as much as 50bb (maybe not even half that?) and i'm pretty sure i had the button at the time.

David

Comment

#44
                                                                                        Originally posted by DavidOC View Post
                                                                                        No angle, i genuinely thought you said call and had my cards halfway flipped up before the guy beside me quickly said that you had said count and not call. It was just a brainfart at a very inopportune time. I also didn't have nearly as much as 50bb (maybe not even half that?) and i'm pretty sure i had the button at the time.

David
                                                                                        And you had?

Comment

#45

David
                                                                                          Hi David, very well done on you're 2nd place, i am nearly certain once the dealer counted out you're stack it was close enough to 110k which made my decision very easy, it doesn't really matter now but out of curiosity what did you have as a couple of us have spoke about this and my first initial thoughts were JJ/QQ but it was a huge shove so i dont know now

Comment

#46
                                                                                            So there's two possible things that happened here

A) My stack had a lot of chips in it but was not that big. For most of day 2 i remember seemingly having the lions share of the small denomination chips at every table i played at. I'd need at least 3 racks to rack up each time. So its possible it looked liike more than it actually was.

B) I miscounted my stack and made a push i wouldn't have made if i'd counted correctly. This was my first ever big live event (i think the last time i played a live tournament was a €20 FO in the collosus 3 years ago), and i made a LOT of beginners mistakes for live poker (declaring open raise amounts when somebody had already opened the action, posting the wrong blinds/antes because i hadn't noticed the level change etc) and i haven't learned how to properly estimate a stack by just eyeballing it yet. I had tried to keep a rough running total in my head all day and its possible that the small pots i won and the elimination i'd made about 15 minutes earlier amounted to a lot more chips than i thought.

If you can remember the count i believe you, if i had known i had that much i wouldn't have shoved there, if i had what i thought i had (~20bb) i'm fine with my play. I do remember not long afterwards one of my friends asking me my chip count and i told him, which he then told me that i actually had more.

I had AQ fwiw, and i agree that you cant call there with AQ, especially given my comment. You said (what i thought was) "call" so quickly that i figured you had to have a premium hand.

Comment

#47
                                                                                              Originally posted by Laois Hammer View Post
                                                                                              Yh well we're both correct... yours is the pure chip odds (+/-cEV), I put it into icm explorer and tried to tweak it for an mtt as good as possible and its usually pretty bang on, i did say it was from a math point of view without taking into account if you wanted to take a -Ev gamble (which of course could be +cEV)...

note, i gave everyone else at the table the average chip stack for that stage of the tournament which seemed like the best way to run it without having a hand history or full stack sizes

SPOILER
                                                                                              Chip odds: 45.52%
                                                                                              Risk premium: 4.5%
                                                                                              Chips gained by marginal call: 7232.98.
                                                                                              Ties count as 54.46% of a win.
                                                                                              SD of marginal call: $17.81.
                                                                                              ah, apologies LH.
                                                                                              I thought for a second it might be ICM but didn't have a clue how you'd do it. so figured to made a calc error.

Interesting way of looking at it both ICM and cEV
                                                                                              I woild of never estimated that ICM requires such additional EV as 5%, given that the next 40 or 60 payouts are pretty flat

Comment

#48
                                                                                                If you can remember the count i believe you, if i had known i had that much i wouldn't have shoved there, if i had what i thought i had (~20bb) i'm fine with my play. I do remember not long afterwards one of my friends asking me my chip count and i told him, which he then told me that i actually had more.

I had AQ fwiw, and i agree that you cant call there with AQ, especially given my comment. You said (what i thought was) "call" so quickly that i figured you had to have a premium hand.
                                                                                                You definitely had > 40 BB's David. Blinds were 1200/2400 at the time and the dealer came back with a count somewhere over 100k.

Knew it was AQ It was just the way you asked 'Do you have AK..?', and if I'm in Keiths spot with AQ and that angle I think this is a really tough fold in any case.. Was an interesting hand

Btw congrats on the score mate!

Comment

#49

David
                                                                                                  No, you were in bb sir and you did have prob 40 bbs tbh. Fun hand
                                                                                                  Huh, Math my dear boy is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.

My Poker Blog http://jason-tompkins.blogspot.com
                                                                                                  My twitter http://twitter.com/#!/blaaaaaah666

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                  X