Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
    Simon Harris wouldn't go into a meeting with (say) the Spanish Minister for Health, boast about their relationship being a 10/10, agree a joint statement and then, on his flight back, tap out a Twitter post criticising his counterpart as 'very dishonest and weak' and refuse to endorse the joint statement.

Trump has the mentality of a toddler. I'm fairly convinced he's mentally unbalanced.
    Seems very on top of things here

President Donald Trump makes remarks at the G7 summit ahead of his planned trip to Singapore for the North Korea summit.

Comment

One billion dollars doesn't equal one billion dollars? And a potato is different to an iPhone?

Fascinating stuff.

You'll be getting a job at the White House next.
      If your goal is to get votes from the rust belt and potato farmers rather than Silicon Valley for re-election with no regard for the economy then it makes perfect sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
        Wait wat
        I forgot about your tin foil hat theories about Russia

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
          I forgot about your tin foil hat theories about Russia
          Ah come on, there is nothing tin foil hat about his debts to Russian banks.

TBF in that clip from CNN you would almost think he is a functioning international politician but then you have to remember that the only thing he has been successful at in his entire career is being a TV performer.

Oh yeah, Crimeans wanted Russia to invade
          Last edited by Strewelpeter; 11-06-18, 10:32.
          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Ah come on, there is nothing tin foil hat about his debts to Russian banks.

TBF in that clip from CNN you would almost think he is a functioning international politician but then you have to remember that the only thing he has been successful at in his entire career is being a TV performer.

I'll let Hitch take that one.

I was in Berlin last year and got talking to a guy from Ukrainian. He was telling me about the beginning of the incursion. He said he knew from the accents they were Russians in blank uniforms not locals like Putin tried to make out. He told me a few stories including one about his friend who owned a company with lots of earth moving machines and trucks being held at gunpoint.
            "Either you let us take the equipment to move tanks, or we shoot you and take the equipment"
            He went to show me pictures but then thought better of it.
            He was with a group of four. I noticed one was wearing a Rolex submariner, I commented on it and he just nodded at me.
            All the guys were burly with cropped hair.
            "So what has you here?"
            "Marketing conference"

Comment

Yes and a positive deal would be huge for NK, SK and Japan.

Considering all the expectations of a fascist leader hell bent on nuclear war, it's worked out grand so far.
              The effects of this presidency will be felt for at least a generation. The last global superpower is an international joke and the pivot to alternative sources for protection and investment is already happening at breakneck speed. Long term influence is evaporating daily for the US and the next guy or gal in will have a hell of a job cleaning up.
              I've no idea how this is in anyway classed as grand
              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                The effects of this presidency will be felt for at least a generation. The last global superpower is an international joke and the pivot to alternative sources for protection and investment is already happening at breakneck speed. Long term influence is evaporating daily for the US and the next guy or gal in will have a hell of a job cleaning up.
                What are you basing all of that on?
                If Trump sorts out NK, and improves international trade the effects will felt for much longer than a generation.
                How is influence evaporating daily? All the focus from G7 was on the US.

Comment

He's way ahead of you

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

I was in Berlin last year and got talking to a guy from Ukrainian. He was telling me about the beginning of the incursion. He said he knew from the accents they were Russians in blank uniforms not locals like Putin tried to make out. He told me a few stories including one about his friend who owned a company with lots of earth moving machines and trucks being held at gunpoint.
                    "Either you let us take the equipment to move tanks, or we shoot you and take the equipment"
                    He went to show me pictures but then thought better of it.
                    He was with a group of four. I noticed one was wearing a Rolex submariner, I commented on it and he just nodded at me.
                    All the guys were burly with cropped hair.
                    "So what has you here?"
                    "Marketing conference"
                    For the not clued in among us, what is the implication of the rolex + burliness + marketing bit?

Comment

That watch is favourite of special forces, could be completely wrong but when I looked around at the lads after he said they were there for a marketing conference, I couldn't help but be a little skeptical.
                      Last edited by Denny Crane; 11-06-18, 11:31.

Comment

What's the story with gym signing fees? Seems insane that they expect you to pay for the privilege of signing up to a direct debit? Can you generally tell them to GTFO if they want the sale?

Comment

What's the story with gym signing fees? Seems insane that they expect you to pay for the privilege of signing up to a direct debit? Can you generally tell them to GTFO if they want the sale?
                          They are almost always able to waive the fees. I'd never pay them unless there was some other benefit like PT sessions, free stuff eyc

Comment

That watch is favourite of special forces, could be completely wrong but when I looked around at the lads after he said they were there for a marketing conference, I couldn't help but be a little skeptical.
                            Special forces sport a €6k watch.
                            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                              If Trump sorts out NK, and improves international trade the effects will felt for much longer than a generation.
                              Correction, the focus was on Trump, the US was a pale second

Lets see.

Rightly or wrongly much of the world look to the US for guidance on world order;
                              It's seen as an abdication of that role electing such a self serving isolationist .

Decimated the state department
                              missing a shedload of ambassador appointments.
                              Alienated Australia on nearly day one.
                              Pulled out of TPP
                              Pulled out of Paris Accord
                              Vocally took sides in the qatar/saudi fight without seeming to realise qatar housed a huge US base.
                              Ripped up the deal with Iran sanctions to the dismay of pretty much everyone
                              Goes into NK negotiations with that hanging over him.
                              In case anyone has forgotten, Bannon literally said on stage, in public, their goal was to destroy the Administrative State

I havent even mentioned Russia or China here.

The us is turning into an international laughing stock, average joe on pretty much any street in any country would have a similar reaction to trump.
                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Special forces sport a €6k watch.
                                Learn about the Military issue Rolex Submariner timepieces by visiting Bob's Watches today.

Comment

Can anyone recommend a good photographer who will be working in Vegas during the summer? Will TylerD be there does anyone know?

Need a load of photos of someone who is going to be in Sin City throughout the WSOP and want to organise the photoshoot from Dublin, which is a bit of a pain.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                    Can anyone recommend a good photographer who will be working in Vegas during the summer? Will TylerD be there does anyone know?

Need a load of photos of someone who is going to be in Sin City throughout the WSOP and want to organise the photoshoot from Dublin, which is a bit of a pain.
                                    He's there at the moment

Comment

Robert DeNiro appears to have lost the plot, pity he was a good actor in his day.

Comment

Originally posted by jack90210 View Post
                                        Robert DeNiro appears to have lost the plot, pity he was a good actor in his day.
                                        Anything specific/recent?

Think he's an anti-vaccer?

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                          Anything specific/recent?

Think he's an anti-vaccer?
                                          He got up on stage and said pretty much nothing else except random cursing at the Tony awards. Although he did get a standing ovation

Comment

He got up on stage and said pretty much nothing else except random cursing at the Tony awards. Although he did get a standing ovation

Just had a look. He got up on stage, said "Fuck Trump", then said "it's no longer down with trump, it's fuck trump"

And???

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                              Just had a look. He got up on stage, said "Fuck Trump", then said "it's no longer down with trump, it's fuck trump"

And???
                                              This isn't normal behaviour. It's crazed delusional behaviour.

Comment

I've been flip-flopping for a while now on whether you were a troll or not, seals it for me, good luck with what ever going on in that head of yours

Comment

indeed

Comment

Goddamn trump rabbit hole

anyway...this is a pretty accurate state of play from Tom Nicols a conservative professor at the Naval War College.

Tom Nichols
                                                    Verified account
                                                    @RadioFreeTom

It's not that I disagree about policy with Trump supporters. It's that I know they don't give a shit about policy. There's no way to have a policy argument with people whose eyes are always looking up to the television for a cue from Dear Leader about what to say next. /1

As @JVLast once said, Trumpism is non-falsifiable. Whatever Trump does is right. There are no principled arguments to be had, because if Trump changes his mind or tweets something off the wall, Trumpers change their position immediately. /2

This would basically be a cult except for one thing: most Trumpers do not believe their own bullshit. Yes, some of them really are stupid enough to think Trump is a good man and all that crap, but most of them are only interested in Trump as a vehicle of social disruption. /3

Trump's smarter enablers see him as an equalizer, a way to put them on an equal footing with "elites" - oh, that word - who they think look down on them. Thing is, the elites *do* look down on them. For good reason. Most of Trump's sycophants are second raters, at best. /4

For them, Trump is their shot. They know he's, um, emotionally disordered, to use @Peter_Wehner's term, but they don't care: this is their one chance to grab the car keys and throw a kegger before Mom and Dad get back home. That makes talking with them about policy impossible. /5

So if it seems like I don't engage Trump's enablers on the merits of this or that Trump policy, it's because I can't take Trump's "policies" any more seriously than Trump or his minions do. It's either pure stupidity or pure careerism, and either way, it's a waste of time. /6

Yes, there are people in government trying to hold everything together. I salute them and hope they can keep the ship afloat. But they can't make policy either. They can issue directives and hope for the best, mostly hoping Trump doesn't notice and overrule them via tweet. /7

I think we'd all be less exhausted if the Trumpers would just admit that what they value from Trump is the social leveling effect he has, forcing intelligent people to respond endlessly to stupid comments and bad ideas, than continue pretending they care about "policy." /8

For myself, I am resigned that Trump will be president for as long as he's president. How it ends is up to the voters. But I don't see the need to engage in the cynical bullshittery of arguing policy with people who will change their minds on anything in nanoseconds. /9

And for the love of God, don't tell me about what Trump's Real 'Muricans in the Heartland want. I know what they want: more government action, including money, delivered with a smile, inflated respect, and pity, earned or not. Those are utterly pointless discussions too. /10

Trump is going to do what Trump is going to do. He's not liberal or conservative. It's all just the blurted thoughts of an angry, frightened man who won an office he didn't really want. We have to get through it, but we don't have to pretend we're arguing about real things. /11x

Comment

I like that DP.

I posted at the time that Trump looked scared shitless on election night. That's because - deep down - that he knew he was being asked to serve in an office he was hideously unqualified for. Everything that's happened since is consistent with that.

Comment

We don’t have to pretend we are arguing about real things - an excellent statement sunarise. The level of exhaustion and contempt is perfectly balanced put in a such a simple way.

Comment

Just a short story for musing.

My 35 year old BIL is an ex US military sniper. Served in Afghanistan and has a bit of PTSD. Purple Heart winner. Anyway got his shit together after a while and got a gig as a paramedic and part time firefighter. Blessed with a little boy when they thought they couldn’t conceive. Voted Trump because he was going to bring back jobs and look after the little people and the military folk etc. Put America first rah rah rah. I didn’t debate it with him but I did remark that he was going to lose out via his health care and that the America first policy could lead to implications for American jobs. Left it at that because it’s his country not mine and he's sacrificed a lot more for his right to vote than I ever will.

Anyway jump forward 18 months and he’s riddled with stage 4 liver cancer and just gotten word his life cover is cancelled due to Trump and his health insurance isn’t what it was. This stuff is theoretical until it’s not.
                                                          ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

How is his undermining and attempts to interfere/disrespect/dismantle the rules-based system, the WTO and the multilateral trade organisations and networks surrounding them supposed to improve international trade?

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                              How is his undermining and attempts to interfere/disrespect/dismantle the rules-based system, the WTO and the multilateral trade organisations and networks surrounding them supposed to improve international trade?
                                                              The longest continuous period without a major armed conflict between one of the major world powers was 1945 to date. That period has been entirely based on a system within which the United States is the linchpin. The position of the United States has seen it prosper in untold ways. In fact the system was designed by the US for it's own benefit, recognising after the Second World War that opening trade barriers from former colonial countries was key to its long term growth and prosperity.

That prosperity required three things - a strong system of alliances to guarantee stability in the hemisphere, a predictable and consistent foreign policy that was for the most part beyond domestic politics and the guarantee of US military (particularly naval) power to underline the whole thing. The payoff was that the US was given pre-eminent position within the world order, allowing it to effectively act as a solo-superpower once the old USSR collapsed.

The reason most experts in international relations and foreign policy are concerned by Trump is that he is gradually dismantling that system and only two countries benefit from that - China and Russia. It has been a multi-polar world for a while, but the US remained strong through the systems created to insulate that power from real challenge. That it is the US itself that would dismantle those systems is truly astonishing.
                                                              You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                              World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

His ultimate aim is actually free trade.

Comment

Still a class actor
                                                                  Was able to get up on a stage and say fuck Trump and get a standing ovation from an excited audience

Class is permanent the people loved him and 95% of the world agrees with him

Comment

His ultimate aim is actually free trade.
                                                                    That is in no way an answer of the question I asked?!

How is what he is doing supposed to get anywhere near your suggested goal?
                                                                    Last edited by Emmet; 11-06-18, 17:36.

Comment

Is it not? His ultimate aim is free international trade without tariffs or subsides (i.e. improved international trade) and dismantling the current system is part of that.

Comment

Anarchy => Profit?

If Paul Murphy suggested what you've just done you'd (rightly) crucify him for it.

Comment

Anarchy => Profit?

If Paul Murphy suggested what you've just done you'd (rightly) crucify him for it.
                                                                          It's not anarchy. It's part of the negotiation.

Comment

It's not anarchy. It's part of the negotiation.
                                                                            Removing/debasing/dismantling/undermining a system that's been built over several decades to enforce the rules? And replace it with....? (or not replace it - anarchistic?)

For those of us who totally and utterly admit to not being able to see the steps that Trump is aiming for which lead to better outcomes for all World Trade, please detail some of these for us?

Something falsifiable would be nice, as opposed to aspiration-passed-off-as-efficacy.

Comment

Is it not? His ultimate aim is free international trade without tariffs or subsides (i.e. improved international trade) and dismantling the current system is part of that.
                                                                              When did he say that in his campaign?

I must have missed it, although you would think something that revolutionary would have been the biggest part of his speech every time.

Comment

Sometimes no matter what your own stance is (whether you're right, wrong or a cuntbag), you need to look at those standing with you and figure out...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Removing/debasing/dismantling/undermining a system that's been built over several decades to enforce the rules? And replace it with....? (or not replace it - anarchistic?)

For those of us who totally and utterly admit to not being able to see the steps that Trump is aiming for which lead to better outcomes for all World Trade, please detail some of these for us?

Something falsifiable would be nice, as opposed to aspiration-passed-off-as-efficacy.
                                                                                  I don't how this is any different to how people thought his diplomatic approach with Kim was crazy (wasn't it here people were claiming we were on the path to nuclear war?). And right now we're on the eve of a historic summit.

He's been saying for 30/40 years he wanted to level the playing field for trade. And this is his approach with everything, way over the top move, force other people to the table, and moderate to something more reason. He's been doing every day in the news for two years!

Comment

I don't how this is any different to how people thought his diplomatic approach with Kim was crazy (wasn't it here people were claiming we were on the path to nuclear war?). And right now we're on the eve of a historic summit.

He's been saying for 30/40 years he wanted to level the playing field for trade. And this is his approach with everything, way over the top move, force other people to the table, and moderate to something more reason. He's been doing every day in the news for two years!
                                                                                    And how is dismantling what exists a path to what you are suggesting he wants? How does his actions achieve what you are suggesting is his goal?

You're not answering the question I'm asking. And you know it!

Comment

When did he say that in his campaign?

I must have missed it, although you would think something that revolutionary would have been the biggest part of his speech every time.
                                                                                      He's been talking it since before I was born.

Comment

And how is dismantling what exists a path to what you are suggesting he wants? How does his actions achieve what you are suggesting is his goal?

You're not answering the question I'm asking. And you know it!
                                                                                        I don't know the specific steps, but I know his desired outcome, and his playbook is the same every time.

Comment

The current system probably works OK for most large countries. President Trump doesn't care about that he will exploit his leverage as the biggest player to get the best deal possible for his country it's not about playing nice and getting pats on the back from the other countries. Its how he always operated and why he is so successful.

Comment

I don't know the specific steps, but I know his desired outcome, and his playbook is the same every time.
                                                                                            If you saw him digging a hole on a beach, and he told you his goal was to sky dive you'd say he was an idiot right?

So why is his different? He is demonstrably working to disable the global rules based system from enacting or enforcing any changes that he could possibly desire on free trade.

At what stage do you change your mind about his ability to deliver on what you believe are his intentions? Or at the very, very least question if what you think are his intentions, really are his intentions?

Comment

The current system probably works OK for most large countries. President Trump doesn't care about that he will exploit his leverage as the biggest player to get the best deal possible for his country it's not about playing nice and getting pats on the back from the other countries. Its how he always operated and why he is so successful.
                                                                                              Give me a 3 sentence summation on what 'the current system' is jack.

You appear to have thanked Denny's post above, which suggests that Trumps' goals and tactics will deliver enhanced and freer trade for us all in decades to come, but also are now suggesting that Trump's policies will come at a cost to others.
                                                                                              How can you reconcile this?

Comment

Give me a 3 sentence summation on what 'the current system' is jack.

You appear to have thanked Denny's post above, which suggests that Trumps' goals and tactics will deliver enhanced and freer trade for us all in decades to come, but also are now suggesting that Trump's policies will come at a cost to others.
                                                                                                How can you reconcile this?
                                                                                                Free trade will remove distortions and therefore countries will end up diverting their resources to what they have a comparative advantage in producing leading to more production overall and everyone is better off.

Comment

If you saw him digging a hole on a beach, and he told you his goal was to sky dive you'd say he was an idiot right?

So why is his different? He is demonstrably working to disable the global rules based system from enacting or enforcing any changes that he could possibly desire on free trade.

At what stage do you change your mind about his ability to deliver on what you believe are his intentions? Or at the very, very least question if what you think are his intentions, really are his intentions?
                                                                                                  As I said it's part of the negotiation, and he can't achieve what he wants though the current system. He got more concessions out of China in the last few weeks than was achieved by threatening them with the WTO.

Comment

Free trade will remove distortions and therefore countries will end up diverting their resources to what they have a comparative advantage in producing leading to more production overall and everyone is better off.
                                                                                                    America definitely doesn't have a comparative advantage in labour. Yet Trump promised the return of labour-intensive jobs.

Trump must therefore either be seeking to distort the free-trade system, through protectionist policies, or by causing imbalances in other countries in an effort to penalise their comparative advantages.

Do explain if I'm wrong.

Comment

...
                                                                                                      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

...
                                                                                                        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

As I said it's part of the negotiation, and he can't achieve what he wants though the current system. He got more concessions out of China in the last few weeks than was achieved by threatening them with the WTO.
                                                                                                          So it's just extraordinarily dangerous leveraged pressure? Considering the collateral damage being caused to the institutions and organisations that will be enforcing the trade concessions and benefits you suggest he will bring to us all.

Comment

Well no, there would be a very obvious reason for why this was genius which you should clearly be able to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                              Had to scan through, did someone argue that Crimean people would have preferred to stay with Ukraine? What was the precise argument there on behalf of the Crimean people?
                                                                                                              A tweet from you was about it.

Comment

America definitely doesn't have a comparative advantage in labour. Yet Trump promised the return of labour-intensive jobs.

Trump must therefore either be seeking to distort the free-trade system, through protectionist policies, or by causing imbalances in other countries in an effort to penalise their comparative advantages.

Do explain if I'm wrong.
                                                                                                                Impossible to tell who would have a comparative advantage with the current distortions. However there's winner and losers in every policy shift who could blame him for wanting to create jobs for an aging workforce in the rust belt for a few years while they finish out their working careers. The US can survive without any individual country whereas no smaller country can survive without the US. Now if all the country's ganged up on them they would leverage but game theory would assume they won't.

Comment

Impossible to tell who would have a comparative advantage with the current distortions. However there's winner and losers in every policy shift who could blame him for wanting to create jobs for an aging workforce in the rust belt for a few years while they finish out their working careers. The US can survive without any individual country whereas no smaller country can survive without the US. Now if all the country's ganged up on them they would leverage but game theory would assume they won't.
                                                                                                                  Come off it.

Comment

He's been talking it since before I was born.
                                                                                                                    Really?

Bizarre. Because I could have sworn his trade position to date was anti-globalist and protectionist.

Maybe we're in some mirror universe?

Comment

Really?

Bizarre. Because I could have sworn his trade position to date was anti-globalist and protectionist.

Maybe we're in some mirror universe?
                                                                                                                      You'd have to give me good odds on international trade being more open when Trump ceases being president Vs when he started so

Comment

He seems to see international trade as a binary thing.
                                                                                                                        Someone has to win. Someone has to lose.
                                                                                                                        The idea of mutually beneficial agreements seems alien. If he's not fucking someone over a barrel, he feels he's being fucked.
                                                                                                                        International trade is mutual masturbation. At the very least one party gives the other a reacharound.

Comment

You'd have to give me good odds on international trade being more open when Trump ceases being president Vs when he started so
                                                                                                                          Has there been a president that this hasn't been true of?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X