Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working on your Game

How do you actually work on your game?

I hear this mentioned so much but never really know what it means? Does it mean spending a lot of time with pokerstove? Looking through your HHs?

I've loads of free time over the next few weeks so really want to put a lot of work into my game so any advice on how to do that would be appreciated.

Thanks

Review HHs to see where you may have made mistakes or where inconsistant.
    Post HHs to the theory forums.
    Reply to theory threads. Try to get a logical process to your replies. Include stuff like pokerstove, icm calcs, push/fold calcs, often a PF steal needs to get through. Do enough of that stuff and your intution gets used to the right decision, or at least something approaching it.

Comment

I'm relatively new to this so maybe I need much more work than the average poster round here, but ...

1. Replay all hands in a tournament, try to figure out places you could have done something better etc... , which for me particularly involves
      a) spots where I could have made more from my good hands
      b) spots where I completely messed up the range of hands I put a villian/s on
      c) places where I could/should be trying out something new

2. Read/post in strategy forum AND [the important bit i think], where someone disagrees with what you post/think, try to figure out why.

3. Treat yourself to a poker book every now and then

4. Much much use of software like pokerstove and sngwiz - I'm quite often surprised at the results I get by playing around with these, more than anything else they have opened up my game, increased by winrate and given me a new 'confidence' in certain decisions.

Comment

You'll read/hear suggestions that your study/review time should be anything from one hour a day to one hour per hour of playing.

Imo the amount necessary depends on where you are now. For e.g., if you're presently a losing player it makes sense to put in more hours at the study end until you've become profitable.

If you're already profitable, you probably need to study less but the sort of topics you'd look at would be different.

I doubt there's any one perfect way to learn, probably a mixture of studying your own play, reading theory posts, posting HHs, reading books etc - but the big danger in poker i think is that its 'easy' to sit down and play a hand, and thus easy to 'fool' yourself that you know how to play. Its another thing altogether to learn how to play that hand optimally, and then to learn the many [limitless?] scenarios that poker throws up.

I do have a strong feeling though that every hour spent studying, learning and relearning more than pays for itself.

Comment

You should think about joining a training site like bluefire or tournament poker edge.

Google these and other sites, a lot of them have some free videos and good deals, it can be a great way to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by GaryT View Post
            How do you actually work on your game?

I hear this mentioned so much but never really know what it means? Does it mean spending a lot of time with pokerstove? Looking through your HHs?

I've loads of free time over the next few weeks so really want to put a lot of work into my game so any advice on how to do that would be appreciated.

Thanks
            wat games to you play and do you have holdem manger

Comment

Found some of these to be quite helpful http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/10...-nlhe-1107105/

Comment

Originally posted by Tremolo1 View Post
                Found some of these to be quite helpful http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/10...-nlhe-1107105/
                +1,wish i had read that years ago

Comment

A lot of really good stuff there cheers guys. To answer a few questions all I play MTTs and I have PT3. I'm a small losing player I think. I've read a few books Winning Poker Tournaments 1 hand at a time and Johnathon Littles book.

Comment

Working...
                  X