Irish Poker Boards
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games

Old 02-03-18, 20:41   #241
colm_leche

Back after some more minor calf issues.

Today was a nice very very slow 7 miler on snow and trails.

Delighted to be back on my feet.
colm_leche is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Old 25-03-18, 18:49   #242
BennyHiFi

Ran my first half of the year today, the Wicklow Gaol Break, in 2:15.07.

10 mins slower that my last half in November but given the uphill nature of the course (can a course be uphill 80% and downhill 20%?) and being a bit dehydrated and hot early on i was happy enough (i regretted wearing my full winter running gear once i'd started moving that was for sure but i had to plough on regardless).

The course was a game of two halves: first half running round Wicklow Town's ring roads wondering why i'd paid good money to run uphill in half-built housing estates, the second half was out into the country roads, more long, steep hills but nice views over the Irish Sea.

Don't know if i'd bother with it again TBH. It was easy enough to get to, just 45 mins from Dublin and well enough organised but wasn't very unique.

Next up Wexford at the end of April, hopefully a flatter course and maybe sub 2:10 to bring into Clontarf in June.

Last edited by BennyHiFi; 25-03-18 at 19:34.
BennyHiFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-18, 22:21   #243
FeetMagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeetMagic View Post
Month of Jan was abysmal - 3 x 8km runs registered. Going to try to do 20km+ tomorrow to shock the system and set the precedent for next 10 weeks or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeetMagic View Post
Covered 20/21km in 1:50. Used to be a silent runner but opted to throw on Joe Rogan's recent podcast with Peterson & I think I'll be sticking with the audio support throughout this training cycle. With that said, what cool running apps are out there? I'd like something that can run simultaneously with other apps & give distance updates and possibly pacing updates at controlled intervals - what do you guys use?
Since then, have logged the following:
  • 3.4 miles @ 25 mins
  • 9.3 miles @ 01:15
  • 12.4 miles @ 01:41
  • 3 miles @ 22mins
  • 10.4miles @ 01:26
  • 13 miles @ 01:54
  • 20 min run
  • 8.6 miles @ 01:13

I have given up on the notion of hitting sub 3:30 at this attempt. I envisaged a better training schedule when I signed up for the marathon but a combination of my legs generally being wrecked from kickboxing & no great desire or enjoyment from running means I will be happy to complete in 3:45-3:50 which would be my 2nd best time from 5 attempts. 6 weeks til race day.
FeetMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 03-04-18, 10:14   #244
ArmaniJeans
Closed Account

Location: In the heart of Transylvania, in the Vampire Hall of Fame Yeah.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

2018 targets.

600K total.
sub 25m 5K.
run a 10K.
do some 'sprinting' for variety purposes.
drop a dress size or two.
1. 155K after 3 months so pretty much on target.
2. Put in a new parkrun pb of 26:42 the week before last so edging towards this.
3. Did 10K for the first time on Good Friday. Very very wobbly in the last 2K but got there. Initially disappointed with 58:40 but tend to quickly look on the bright side re these things and now see it as a target time which should be easy enough to break.
4. Abandoned this after one session of 10x100m sprints. Not sure I have a sprinting style which doesn't hurt my knee.
5. Into a 38 waist now, and have discarded the XXL t-shirts, so progress.
ArmaniJeans is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Old Yesterday, 12:12   #245
dobby

This is gonna be a long one but here goes.

Dunno why I'm posting this here but lacking motivation so maybe writing it down and getting advice would be good.

Got injured back in October/November and missed a chunk of soccer. Was in a job with irregular hours so couldn't get into any sort of training routine. Turned into the ultimate couch potato, get home and just eat shite, drink beer and settle down with chocolate and crisps for the evening, told myself I'd get back to it when the injury cleared, then told myself I'd get back into it when Xmas was over, then told myself sure there's no point starting in January etc etc.

Got back to the soccer, started with the GAA team so all is good now but fitness is gone to shit. I've always had good stamina, played a full 60 minute gaa game last Sunday and even tho I was wrecked after it is was fine on Monday. I just need to lose the belly and the man boobs that are starting to come in, tone up a bit also.

I'm 29, 6 foot tall, 16 stone 8 (or 140kg) and just ran 3.6km in 19:23.

I'm actually happy with that pace, it was just over 5 minutes per km which I'm delighted with since I'd say it's over a year since my last run. It also includes stopping during the last km at a couple of exercise machines that were installed near the basketball courts on the estate, just a few upper body exercises so the whole body gets a go. Times per km were 5:01, 4:59, 5:16, 6:39.

Food seems to be my biggest hurdle but I spoke to the missus about that today and she's gonna start making me nice stuff for lunch besides hitting the deli counter every day when I'm on the road.

Main goal is just lose the belly, currently a size 38 waist and some 38s are even too tight so getting back down to a 36 is top priority. Anything else is a bonus.

Any other advice or suggestions?
dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old Yesterday, 19:46   #246
BennyHiFi

@dobby - I'm far from a nutritionist and nor do i do any exercise other than run but i have certainly observed a few things over this past few years that have helped me, the key thing being routine:

1) I keep my breakfast and lunch simple and the same pretty much every day. It means i simply don;t think about what i need to eat, the only question is when. Weetabix or Cornflakes for breakfast. No added sugar. I have a variety of 'salads' for lunch with spanish meat and cheese, avoiding bread but usually with a small amount of pasta/potato/rice. For dinner i can then generally have whatever my wife makes but she tries to stay low carb too usually so that helps overall keep me from adding pounds.

2) I run 20K a week regardless of the weather of the specific distance of each run - sometime 4 5Ks sometimes 2 10Ks, the odd half marathon. This basically allows me to drop weight by burning maybe 3K calories per week.

I know Tar.Aldion won a weight loss bet recently and others have had similar success but the bottom line is burn more calories than you take in and if this isn't easy for you to figure out eat the same thing (more or less) for a few weeks so you stabilise the inputs while trying to crank up the exercise and you should see the difference very readily.

Good luck!

b.

PS... i see the London Marathon today seems to be a bit of a killer in 23 degree heat

Last edited by BennyHiFi; Yesterday at 21:52.
BennyHiFi is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old Yesterday, 20:24   #247
dobby

Thanks Benny. Lunch is where I'm really struggling. Working as a delivery driver it's just too handy and tempting to pop into a deli. Breakfast is usually porridge and tea or tea and toast if I'm in a bit of a rush. Dinner always meat and veg with spuds or rice. We both like cooking so never any problem making something nice.

It did take a while to get the takeaways under control in the evenings tho.

I guess if I push that bit harder at training and make myself do a bit on my own the other nights I should be good to go. She already made a big portion of chicken stir fry with a lot of veg and rice for lunches this week so hopefully that makes a difference too. Also haven't had any alcohol this weekend for the first time in i don't know how long.
Thanks From:
Old Yesterday, 21:41   #248
Lazare
GFML

My tuppence.

Forget weight loss. As a goal anyway. You're in this thread asking so you're obviously seeing running as a solution. It is, but imo it's important not to run with weight loss as your goal. It's a negative, and it makes you lose sight of and ignore the main benefit of running. Your mental health. When weight loss is your goal you're in danger of giving up when you reach it. Running with mental health as your goal is all about maintenance. You reach it but you don't reach it if you know what I mean.

Learn how to become a distance runner. Pick a marathon or a half marathon. The Dublin half in September is perfect timing wise.

Learn all about the type of training required. Be surprised to learn that pretty much all of your running will be easy paced, slower than 6:15 p/km. Run in the mornings, twice a week (three if you can) on an empty stomach to train your body to burn fat.
Do a long run at the weekend, again super slow and super easy, build it up by 10% until you're easily running 30k.

Do this and your head will be in great shape, and a side effect will be you'll wear 30" jeans.
Old Yesterday, 22:04   #249
dobby

Thanks Lazare, mental health is top notch. The sport takes care of that. I go looking for the 50/50 tackles during games and for hard hits to let the steam and aggression out. Sometimes I get hit harder but that itself gives me an adrenaline rush too so I'm just doing it to lose the weight tbh. Also wouldn't have time to commit like that to running 10ks or marathons or anything like it.

I was looking into HIIT that I could do myself, doesn't have to be just running. I just figured this thread was a good place to ask. Have looked into getting a personal trainer but local lads are coming in at around €250 for 10 sessions which isn't bad value imo but it's money I don't have to spend right now.
Thanks From:
Old Yesterday, 22:26   #250
Lazare
GFML

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobby View Post
Thanks Lazare, mental health is top notch. The sport takes care of that. I go looking for the 50/50 tackles during games and for hard hits to let the steam and aggression out. Sometimes I get hit harder but that itself gives me an adrenaline rush too so I'm just doing it to lose the weight tbh. Also wouldn't have time to commit like that to running 10ks or marathons or anything like it.

I was looking into HIIT that I could do myself, doesn't have to be just running. I just figured this thread was a good place to ask. Have looked into getting a personal trainer but local lads are coming in at around 250 for 10 sessions which isn't bad value imo but it's money I don't have to spend right now.
Yeah, it is a big time commitment. I would definitely recommend slowing down though in your running, and running on empty as often as you can. It seems counter intuitive but slow easy running will see the lbs fall quicker than pushing it every time. Plus you reduce the injury risk.

Good luck bro.

Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games