Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm all in favour of this fake meat revolution. I think it was Downtown who came out with the line on here years ago that 'we're on the wrong side of history on the eating meat thing'. It always stuck with me as obviously true despite the fact that I have made no steps to change my behaviour.

Once they start making it simple to change with things like fake burgers that taste alright (they don't have to bleed, wtf is that all about) I think you will see a big swong away from meat based on both moral and environmental stances. I think it might happen quite quickly as well.

Comment

Ah yes.. When December commission payment shows up on your system... Time to book holiday
      Her sky-ness
      © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
        I'm all in favour of this fake meat revolution. I think it was Downtown who came out with the line on here years ago that 'we're on the wrong side of history on the eating meat thing'. It always stuck with me as obviously true despite the fact that I have made no steps to change my behaviour.

Once they start making it simple to change with things like fake burgers that taste alright (they don't have to bleed, wtf is that all about) I think you will see a big swong away from meat based on both moral and environmental stances. I think it might happen quite quickly as well.
        if it doesn't taste good raw, it's not worth eating. it's about time Ireland stopped racing horses and started eating them

Comment

Yeah I often try to think about what's normal now that will look crazy, what's going to be our version of old people calling people golliwogs. It's kinda funny too people who rightly look back in horror at the normality of segregation also seem to believe we've reached the pinnacle of morality, and nothing will change from here, despite all the prior history.

Meat is the easy one. When we've perfect effortless contraception, both sides of the abortion debate will look horrific to everyone. Probably how we deal with criminality too. It's inevitable there's things that we won't even think of.
          Last edited by Denny Crane; 11-01-19, 11:22.

Comment

I haven't read it yet but it's on the list, Peter Singer who was one of the pioneers of animal ethics at least in bringing it to the masses has a book that's apparently good on various ethical issues that are very applicable currently:

SPOILER

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
              When we've perfect effortless contraception, both sides of the abortion debate will look horrific to everyone. Probably how we deal with criminality too. It's inevitable there's things that we won't even think of.
              Perfect contraception would see population growth go immediately into reverse .
              There'd be a whole other set of problems within a generation
              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Yeah I often try to think about what's normal now that will look crazy, what's going to be our version of old people calling people golliwogs.
                Boy/Girl if the crazies get their way.
                This too shall pass.

Comment

I still can’t see it becoming a widespread moral issue. Overtime growing meat will become more cost effective and require less space so that’s what the masses will eat.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                    Boy/Girl if the crazies get their way.
                    Saw the term "cisgender" yesterday for the first time (thanks to the clicking on the nutjob Hitch got in a twitter spat with). Seems insane to have a term for someone actually associating with the gender the were born. And then I have to worry that I'm prejudiced for thinking that!

Comment

Originally posted by NuckChorris View Post
                      Saw the term "cisgender" yesterday for the first time (thanks to the clicking on the nutjob Hitch got in a twitter spat with). Seems insane to have a term for someone actually associating with the gender the were born. And then I have to worry that I'm prejudiced for thinking that!
                      Wait until you discover the term 'digital blackface'

Came across it the other day. It's no longer acceptable for a white person to tweet a gif of a black person.

The best reply was 'This is why people hate liberals, and I am one.'
                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                        Are you implying we're mostly mistakes?
                        We can't simultaneously be worried about there being fewer jobs and also worried about there being fewer people?
                        It's a good set of problems, population should come down.

Comment

I have absolutely no shread of guilt, not the slightest pang, when it comes to eating meat.

I really can't ever see that changing as long as I live.

Comment

We can't simultaneously be worried about there being fewer jobs and also worried about there being fewer people?
                            It will continue to grow globally until we're all dead but assuming that countries in extreme poverty and perhaps a step above that level continue to climb out of poverty, the global population will level off and then decrease.

Everyone will be more well off in an absolute sense so that what is deemed extreme poverty now largely won't exist which is one of the primary drivers of population growth, that said, I assume wealth inequality will continue to increase which is a different issue entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
                              I haven't read it yet but it's on the list, Peter Singer who was one of the pioneers of animal ethics at least in bringing it to the masses has a book that's apparently good on various ethical issues that are very applicable currently:

SPOILER
                              I like his books, I love how controversial he is with some things and doesn't give a fuck. Especially when talking about infanticide and disabled people, man that gets people boiling. He also shows great awareness for pragmatism in ethics based on current social norms. Last book I read of his was "The Most Good You Can Do: How Effective Altruism Is Changing Ideas About Living Ethically", quite good even if he talks about himself a lot.

Yeah I often try to think about what's normal now that will look crazy, what's going to be our version of old people calling people golliwogs. It's kinda funny too people who rightly look back in horror at the normality of segregation also seem to believe we've reached the pinnacle of morality, and nothing will change from here, despite all the prior history.

Meat is the easy one. When we've perfect effortless contraception, both sides of the abortion debate will look horrific to everyone. Probably how we deal with criminality too. It's inevitable there's things that we won't even think of.
                              We are just the most advanced brutes there are so far, the same people that go along with cultural norms are the ones that would have been grand with slavery, they just don't view themselves like that. The reason slavery was so hard fought against by some and not others? Involvement. Behaviour affects attitude. If you take part in something you view it as more right - you justify it. If you don't take part it's easier to slam it. Even so, at the time the idea that the Afro-Americans should have the same rights as white citizens appalled even people who regarded slavery as an abomination.

Ethics are most often born of surrounding and circumstance, and to make a leap from A moral position to large gap B moral position there are innumerable moral improvements over time, to where B seems right all along, from it's initial preposterous stance at the time of A. People that believe in B at the point in A seem crazy.

That has been logical to me since I was barely able to talk, I don't know if it was because I was around these animals on farms, working with them or just some thing that just made sense in my brain for whatever reason. It's never been from some empathy reason, it's always stemmed from pure reason for me - why do I value A, why to I do B? I hate illogical things, I hate cognitive dissonance. I hate being in the wrong. Even with that it took a long time to bring it in to action, like you I made no effort to change to align with what I believe. It took until I was 18 to actually do something about it (even then vegetarian wasn't a word my parents had even heard of, I barely had), and 10 years more to take the step to being vegan. Now veganism is common in teens and young adults and I'd be viewed as some weak-ass old man that couldn't even go straight to veganism. I'm in a dining out group with 10,000 people in Dublin, am definitely on the older side compared to most. It's not the dinosaurs that will be changing society.

It's a really common thing to not think about these things, think of people you view as logical like Sam Harris, Dawkins etc, a lot of them have share common beliefs with me about animals, yet it is really hard for even them to act on it, and even when they do they are quite meek about it.

Convenience is king, you don't persuade the masses out of the good of their hearts to do anything if it puts them out, not currently anyway. Even for me, veganism is not something I want to do, at all. One of the most common things said by people before they've gone vegan? "I'd never be vegan". I said it. It's something I think that people should do, so I do it, but not everybody is going to give a shit or think the same. The reason there are so many people stopping eating meat now is all these alternatives making it easier by the day.
                              Eating ready meals from M&S or Tesco? Half of them are vegan now. A year ago none of them were. There's vegan Ben & Jerry's, Hellman's Mayo, McDonalds Happy Meals, loads of new restaurants etc. A feckin' Gregg's sausage Roll that has sold hundreds of thousands in it's first week.
                              I think a lot of the food has a long ways to go still, but it's going to be a radical and fast change. Even chefs are now being taught vegan cooking from the outset now, one day I will be offered my last fruit salad.

It messes with things in such a way that the most poverty stricken are the ones with children, survival of the chavest.
                              Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 11-01-19, 13:57.

Comment

Looking forward to being hunted down by the Vegan Gestapo in a few years time while I bravely lead the last band of Meat Resistance fighters from the shattered ruins of Shanahans on the Green.
                                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                  Looking forward to being hunted down by the Vegan Gestapo in a few years time while I bravely lead the last band of Meat Resistance fighters from the shattered ruins of Shanahans on the Green.
                                  As a climate-post-apocalyptic zero waste vegan, I look forward to your tender meat after a successful eco-friendly hunt by foot.

There' quite a funny mockumentary made for the BBC by Simon Amstell about a vegan society in the future where the relics of the past take part in such things as cheese support groups
                                  It's 2067, the UK is vegan, but older generations are suffering the guilt of their carnivorous past. Simon Amstell asks us to forgive them for the horrors of...

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                    film updates:

Green book-Very formulaic but highly enjoyable 7/10

The favorite- Great first half-poor second half- Great performances and costumes 5/10

Wildlife- underwhelmed- i almost feel disappointed of my disappointment, as was expecting so much 5/10

Roma- superb-simple and beautiful-loved it 8.5/10

Ralph breaks the internet-disappointing- even the kids were meh 5/10

The old man and the gun- all in all, not very good, and not very exciting 3/10
                                    a few more

Vice - flat and soulless biopic of a pretty awful man 3/10

A star is born - Nothing special. some endearing moments but definitely not an oscar winner 5/10

beautiful boy - Carrell does not suit emotional roles, and this is a pretty tame and clean "drug" or "rehab" movie 4/10

Conclusion-none of these 3 are worth the bother to be honest
                                    Last edited by shrapnel; 11-01-19, 15:44.

Comment

The only argument for switching off meat for me are the environmental damage and energy loss involved in its production and a mass switch to veganism isn’t really addressing those issues ( eg soya and maize production)
                                      I personally won’t ever be dissuaded from eating meat by considerations of the animals suffering (though at the moment I have the luxury of being able to by meat from reasonably reared animals, though they are still being killed so..
                                      I am making an effort to cut down big time purely for environmental and health reasons, especially processed meats ( which is tough, love a bit of prosciutto )

I guess the problem I have with a lot of this coverage of the likes of lab grown meat, driverless electronic cars etc is that it’s all part of this narrative that we in the western and developing world won’t have to make any drastic changes to our way of life, that we will have lovely solutions engineered for us that combined with a little bit of tinkering in our personal lives means we can carry on consuming mountains of crap and pursuing mental policies based on infinite growth

Comment

Anyone seen stan and Ollie?

Looking forward to Coogans next film , about a birthday party thrown on a Greek island for a billionaire retail mogul. Cough Philip green cough
                                        Directed by guy who did The Trip

Comment

With any luck (but I’m not optimistic) people will look back aghast at people today bugging their own homes with “A.I” assistants and sharing completely inappropriate personal info on social media
                                          A little bit of time to go yet before we get some good drama out of kids taking action against their parents for overexposing them online when growing up

Comment

100%
                                            The amount of people I know who were actively planning on pregnancy I could probably count on one hand.
                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                              With any luck (but I’m not optimistic) people will look back aghast at people today bugging their own homes with “A.I” assistants and sharing completely inappropriate personal info on social media
                                              A little bit of time to go yet before we get some good drama out of kids taking action against their parents for overexposing them online when growing up
                                              if anything the trend will go in the opposite direction

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                a few more

Vice - flat and soulless biopic of a pretty awful man 3/10

A star is born - Nothing special. some endearing moments but definitely not an oscar winner 5/10

beautiful boy - Carrell does not suit emotional roles, and this is a pretty tame and clean "drug" or "rehab" movie 4/10

Conclusion-none of these 3 are worth the bother to be honest
                                                damn, was hoping Vice would be decent.

Comment

Comment

That's class DP. People don't realise just how much we will have to do now.

Comment

Subscribe to France 24 now:http://f24.my/youtubeENFRANCE 24 live news stream: all the latest news 24/7http://f24.my/YTliveENDonald Trump, US PresidentVisit o...
                                                      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Hmmmmm

An Irish couple’s holiday in Portugal to celebrate their engagement turned into a nightmare this week after they were robbed twice – once at gunpoint – and then discovered their travel insurance policy was insufficient to cover their losses.

A Donegal man, who only gave his first name, called RTÉ’s Liveline from Faro airport on Friday afternoon with the story.

Dermot and his fiancee arrived in the Portuguese resort of Albufeira a week previously and were just two days into their holiday when they were confronted by a gang in the resort town on Sunday evening.

They were forced at gunpoint into a car and driven to a remote location around an hour from their hotel.

“We saw [the gang] at a bakery. They came out of it while we were passing,” he said. “They pulled a gun on me and my partner. They forced us into the car and took us up a back road an hour away from the strip. They were going to shoot me and sell my fiancee for money as a sex slave,” he said

Comment

Good to see you back posting PSV!
                                                            airport, lol

Comment

if anything the trend will go in the opposite direction
                                                              Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                              Still think privacy is going to be non existent in the future, radical transparency.

Comment

Clinical stuff by Munster for the try there

Comment

Would one of the learned gentlemen on here be able to tell me how to best distribute tax credits to avail of being married and to claim back tax for last year??? I can't for the life of me work it out properly. Missus has full time job aswell...

Comment

Clinical stuff by Munster for the try there
                                                                    An excellent overall 40 mins, developing into a very good side.

Comment

Originally posted by premierstone View Post
                                                                      Munster playing well no doubt but they aren’t beating much here at all. Gloucester back three have been woeful.
                                                                      The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day. Gerry Thornley 23/3/09

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey Rosa View Post
                                                                        Munster playing well no doubt but they aren’t beating much here at all. Gloucester back three have been woeful.
                                                                        they couldn't catch aids from freddie mercury

Comment

Originally posted by premierstone View Post
                                                                          BP secured with 15 left, job done. Hope O'Mahony hasn't broken ribs.

Comment

lolz, Carberry taking the piss in the last 5 mins.

Messi-like stuff.

Comment

lolz, Carberry taking the piss in the last 5 mins.

Messi-like stuff.
                                                                              Would make ya wonder why Munster kept him in the academy until this season

Comment

brb moving to netflix https://blog.salaryproject.com/netfl...e-than-300000/

Comment

...

Comment

Got given a Google Home Mini for free (don't judge me - i value my privacy but had to see how it worked for music) and hooked it up this evening to my Chromecast in about 90 seconds.

I now have every radio station streaming on the web, video/album on youtube and song on Spotify routed through Benny's hifi (albeit at sub-audiophile 'compressed file' quality but definitely at the higher end of consumer audio for such things) and just a 'Hey Google play...' away.

Feels dirty but very exciting. Wonder how i'll feel when i wake up and see it still in my house in the morning...

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface View Post
                                                                                      Would one of the learned gentlemen on here be able to tell me how to best distribute tax credits to avail of being married and to claim back tax for last year??? I can't for the life of me work it out properly. Missus has full time job aswell...
                                                                                      If she's full time leave the tax credits alone.

Redistribute the tax cut off point such that she doesn't pay any tax in the higher bracket. There's a function in PAYE anytime to do this for you automagically. *Assuming she is the lower earner here

For last year you need to do the assesable spouse form. You'll probably need to use the contact form on anytime to send a message to a person to have them fix last year.
                                                                                      May you live in interesting times!

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                          Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is a beautiful person has a fantastic social media team. Her personality. Wow.
                                                                                          How do you know her Hitch ?
                                                                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

...

Comment

Not as bad as the payslip suggests.

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Her twitter feed speaks to me!
                                                                                                I was reading about her during the week, she seems pretty impressive.
                                                                                                Calls for a change to the constitution to allow her to run for President as she's currently too young, obviously won't matter for her but it raised a good point that the 35 year old rule seems pretty archaic given that those trusted in positions of power in various other domains are often far younger.

Comment

...

Comment

Issues are:
                                                                                                    1. Starting pay is brilliant
                                                                                                    2. Progress is largely automatic rather than performance based as in all public sector
                                                                                                    3. Max pay is lowish
                                                                                                    4. There's no Dublin premium

A move to address 3 and 4 would seem to be useful, but the campaign is really all about raising the already highly generous 1.

We know 1 is generous objectively as undergrads normally start at way less than that and don't have automatic pay progression irrespective of good times or bad or individual performance
                                                                                                    Point 4 needs to addressed across various occupations and other structures such as the student grant scheme. The idea that a person who from a socioeconomic background that allows them access to a grant should be awarded the same amount in Dublin as somewhere such as Tralee, Letterkenny or Sligo for example seems unfair.

Also on a previous topic on carbon footprint, I spotted an Irish company is making strides:

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Leinster Toulouse game is live on Channel 4 (just in case like me you were planning to find a stream )

Comment

Yeah not having a Dublin premium is ludicrous. Talking to a doctor when I was in Uganda, and she couldn't understand why it would be a thing. Probably zero chance of it actually happening.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                              Leinster Toulouse game is live on Channel 4 (just in case like me you were planning to find a stream )
                                                                                                              Virgin one also or is that the new Ch4?

Comment

Originally posted by Jibzzzz View Post
                                                                                                                Virgin one also or is that the new Ch4?
                                                                                                                Yeah, it's there as well actually. good spot.

Comment

"A device that shines light into my ear to give me energy".

We used to discover new lands and enslave the natives.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                                    Everyone talking about the Toulouse backs but this game is going to be all about the Leinster forwards. We're going to put them through the meat grinder.

BP win and much cheesy surrendering.

Comment

Already can see how much of an impact James Lowe makes. He is a brilliant player for the whole energy of the team

Comment

This ref thinks the crowd paid in to see him.

Comment

This ref thinks the crowd paid in to see him.
                                                                                                                          I tihnk he is doing well, communication is quite clear and consistent on things, knows some of the players and using their names to explain whats going on etc. If he wants to add some extra showbusiness to it then so be it.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X