Irish Poker Boards
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Personal Logs

Old 08-03-13, 21:29   #81
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Workout 20, Fri 8th 6:30pm

CROSSFIT OPEN 13.1

Competing is interesting. You can turn up to play five a side informally with the lads and you might think you're giving it 100%, but it'll always be a little short of how much effort you'd be putting forth in a summer six a side league - social standard or no. Likewise, I have been working hard in the metcons but saving that slight bit for my own safety and sanity. In work today just knowing that over 120k people worldwide were going to be trying the same thing as you over the weekend made it seem like a bigger trip down the gym. Then, when I arrived at 18:15, there was a very different vibe on the floor. A couple of people down watching, everyone being spotted individually. Just felt different.

Warmups

Now, up until a couple of weeks ago I had never attempted any part of the snatch. And it was only in the last week that I gave a full one from the floor a go. So having to get through 30 in one go for time was quite daunting - even if the weight was light enough to start with (35kgs for men for the first set).

I have to give my coach Will a ton of credit here. I was put on second and absolved from having to spot anyone so I could warm up the snatch (everyone did a snatch movement warmup with PVC pipe as a group beforehand). He talked me through warming up for the 17 minutes group one were doing their heat, and put a wooden block infront of my toes and moved me close to the wall to force me into keeping the bar closer to me on the way up and focus on achieving a decent bar path. Felt like my last few warmups were quite good as it got close to go time.

But where he really helped me out was in popping over before we got going to lay out a plan of attack. It was basically: real slow on the first 40 burpees. DON'T GAS OUT ON THEM. Do them in sets of five, then do the snatches in sets of three even though I should restart before each one. In my head I had hoped to maybe get 100 points. To be honest, I didn't even bother putting down weights for 62.5kgs. I was highly unlikely to make it that far and even if I did, trying to put up that weight from the floor at this stage would do more harm than good.

Heat

40 Burpees
35Kg/20Kg Snatch, 30 reps
30 Burpees
62.5Kg/35Kg Snatch, 30 reps
20 Burpees
75Kg/45Kg Snatch, 30 reps
10 burpees
95Kg/55Kg Snatch, as many reps as possible

17 minute cap

I managed 81 points - got the first set of Burpees and Snatches and then 11 Burpees done. Judge was a massive help, nice fellah who encouraged me all the way through and kept me focused on good form cues as I tired. This was incredibly difficult needless to say.

There are many ways to look at my score. 81 will likely put me in a very low percentile of the people around the world who did it. But I was absolutely flat out, couldn't have done another rep. To know I gave it 100% is awesome. Dan Bailey put up 190. Doing 50% of what he can do isn't really that bad in some respects! My coach reckoned my total wasn't to be sniffed at anyway, so I'm actually happy overall even if any of you reading (and fair play if you read all this rambling) might rightly reckon it wasn't a lot of work achieved in the time.
Old 09-03-13, 12:59   #82
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Workout 21, Saturday 9th 11:00am

Warmup

Walk to the Gym
Some stretching

Skill Movement

Establish a 1 rep max Clean and Jerk

Worked up to 45kgs. Coach insisted I go into a deep front squat after the clean just to try and practice all components of the movement. It's just tough putting all of a lift like this together but, as he said, you have to be patient and really think about having one main cue to work on every session.

Metcon

15 minute cap:

3 Rounds of:

1 minute max effort front squats @ 45kgs
1 minute max effort push ups
1 minute max effort kettlebell swings @ 20kgs
1 minute max effort pull ups
rest 1 minute

We were told to ease back and try to set a target the first round of each that could be maintained and try and steal 15 seconds rest at the end of every work minute. I had slightly hurt my left hand during one of the clean and jerks and, noticing that I was favouring it, I was told to miss out the last set of front squats.

Wasn't my best workout. Extremely fatigued from last night - very difficult to go back down less than 24 hours after an absolute all out max effort. But I got some work in so got to look at the positives.
Old 09-03-13, 13:04   #83
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

As an aside, it seems that one of the coaches got 161 points on last night's Crossfit Open workout, which puts him up there in terms of European competitors. Fair play I say.

Also, my direct coach wrote this a while back which I think some of ye might appreciate:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Walshe

It's your fault:

There’s a funny little full-circle that people go through with regards to learning good technique. You have a guy on day 1 who’s knees collapse in when he squats, and he learns “ok, I need to push my knees out when I squat”. After he’s been training a while you often see people blundering around in this phase of “oh, my glutes and external rotators are weak, so I need to do a lot of activation drills and specific strengthening exercises to work on this and fix the problem”. Finally, we get back to “you know what, the most specific strengthening exercise I can do here is pushing my knees out every time I squat”.

The cure for bad technique is good technique. The more you practice lifting with good technique, the stronger all the muscles responsible for maintaining good positions will become.

If you have a sticking point in a lift, you need to find ways to practice the lift without the problem happening. That could mean taking some weight off the bar and doing more volume, that could mean practicing one little piece over and over again by itself, or it could just mean being more patient.

The second you become the person who thinks “my knees collapse in when I squat heavier than 100kgs”, you've made it true. Your knees don’t just magically collapse, you LET them collapse by not pushing them out hard enough when you stand.

That’s a very important attitude shift – “my knees collapse” means it’s not your fault and there’s nothing you can do about it. “I let my knees collapse” means you fucked up the lift by looking for the path of least resistance and if you’d put more effort in to doing it right you would have got it.

Now, this is not a comfortable place to be, it is however, the best way to make progress. Adopting the attitude that your fitness problems are 100% your fault is the only way you can fix them.

“I don't have time to exercise” is insolvable. “I don't MAKE time to exercise” is something you can fix.

“I got caught out and had to eat in McDonalds” is insolvable. “I didn't plan my day properly, and I wasn't clever enough to order a salad and some hamburgers with no bun” is fixable.

“I was too tired to train” sounds like a big problem. “I’m tired all the time because I don’t train enough” can be fixed.

You’re a grown-up, and you can sort your own stuff out, but only if you believe that it’s something can fix.
Old 09-03-13, 17:04   #84
Lurker23

Loving this log. Your enthusiasm and effort is definitely coming across.

How's the diet btw?
Lurker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-13, 18:02   #85
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker23 View Post
How's the diet btw?
Ugh. I think of food all the time?

I'm actually allowing myself a cheat meal right now with a pizza on the way but it's the first bad meal of the week. Bread, coke, sweets, processed food (well, apart from soup from messrs Cully and Scully I guess) and takeaways are a distant memory.

Plan is basically:

Porridge with some banana and honey morning
Meat, veg and spuds for lunch
If training a wrap with chicken and veg between work and the gym
Then a salad with soup or sushi as last meal of the day

A couple of coffees and lots of water

Need to throw more fish, nuts and fruit into the mix, but I'm sticking to the above pretty well. It's not paleo and it's not carb free but it's far and away superior to what I was sticking in the body during 2012.

If I'm back at the parents on a Sunday there'll be a dessert and I'll scramble some eggs on weekend mornings. The only other possibility of cheating is a Saturday evening. Barely had a drink since Christmas.

I could eat far better still, but it's definitely a decent enough start imo.
Old 11-03-13, 22:25   #86
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Workout 22, Monday 11th 19:30pm

Warmup

Foam rolling
Some stretching
Some skipping
PVC Pipe snatch movement breakdown and warm up

Skill Movement

7X1 First Pull + Hang Snatch

Worked up to 40kgs. Having problems with jumping forward and taking a needless pause at the hip (which I'm not really cognizant of). And it's a power snatch at this stage - like the clean and jerk it's hard for me to get under the bar. Just have to keep going on a Monday and practice, practice, practice.

Metcon

3 minute AMRAP of:

Burpees

*Rest 2 minutes.

5 minute AMRAP of:

1 minute skipping
15 Power Snatches 35Kg/20Kg

Got 25 Burpees done and one round of skipping and snatches done.

For those wondering about the eerie similarity to Friday's Open event, the programming is actually written a week in advance and performed by the coaches in their workouts so that they can give better advice, etc. Kinda funny that they would have done this last week four days before the secret 13.1 workout ended up being burpees and power snatches!!
Old 12-03-13, 23:56   #87
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Workout 23, Tuesday 12th 18:30pm

Warmup

Foam rolling
Stretching, dynamic stetching
Some skipping

Strength Movement

Quote:
High Bar Back Squat: 2X5 @ 70% – rest 45 seconds, 2X3 @ 75% – rest 45 seconds, 3X1 @ 80% – rest 30 seconds.

Notes: Sets at each percentage should be performed without re-racking the barbell. Take 90 seconds rest between each percentage.
Did worksets at 70kgs, 75kgs and 80kgs

This was dreadful, so tough. Leaving the bar on your back for that length while trying to maintain good posture before going down for more moderately difficult squats was a real challenge. Felt drained after.

Metcon

Quote:
7 rounds of:

30 seconds max distance sled push
60 seconds rest

Notes: Each sled run should be an all out effort.
Done in teams of three. My god! So, so very hard. Very intense, ramped up all the more by the team element to it. Because the sled needs to keep moving you have to maintain focus and be switched on during your rest as you have to be right there to get behind the load when your work 30 seconds begins.

Pretty awesome session. Maybe 15 minutes total work and felt totally gassed after.
Old 13-03-13, 21:12   #88
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Workout 24, Wednesday 13th 18:30pm

Blah. Session was all skill work and was a bridge too far for my enthusiasm. Packed it in during the metcon, not good. Do better next time.
Old 14-03-13, 10:12   #89
TomD

You're doing great Lloyd. Get some nice food into you today. Take a break and get back to it tomorrow. Consistency is all physcological.
TomD is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 14-03-13, 13:57   #90
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomD View Post
You're doing great Lloyd. Get some nice food into you today. Take a break and get back to it tomorrow. Consistency is all physcological.
Cheers! Yeah rest today. Quitting is always a strange thing - you know you should just get on with it, but the demons take hold. I'll just get back at it tomorrow evening.
Old 14-03-13, 14:37   #91
Emmet
Bashful the next day

Don't let the haters win Lloyd. Prove em wrong.

Emmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-13, 23:43   #92
Lurker23

I echo the sentiments of the other guys. We all have days like that. It's how you react to a bad session that matters.
Lurker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-13, 07:14   #93
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Cheers lads. Tonight's workout is this with 52.5kgs on the bar and a 24" box:

Which will be tough. Would like to get between four and five rounds done I think. Going to try and get out of work early, get down the gym and give myself the best shot at it.
Old 15-03-13, 22:01   #94
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Workout 25, Fri 15th 6:30pm

CROSSFIT OPEN 13.2

Had been looking forward to this all day.

Warmups

Warmup was different but very good, credit to the coaches again.

Gymnastic type stretches, dynamic band stretches
Practice of the movements with just the bar moving to the workout weight

Then:

Row as hard as possible for one minute, then do three jumps; three presses; six dead-lifts and three jumps as fast as possible to get the heart going

This seemed a bit mad, but it was actually great prep as I was ideally warmed up at kick off.

Heat

10 minutes AMRAP with Bar starting on the floor:

5 Shoulder to Overheads @ 52.5kgs (I did something between a strict press and a push press - technique not good! )
10 Deadlifts @ 52.5kgs
15 Box Jumps (it was allowable to step up and down so that's how I did it - seemed smarter)

I managed 120 points, so four rounds on the button - had maybe 15 seconds after the last step down but just couldn't organize myself to clean the bar.

This was difficult psychologically. The Shoulder to Overheads were only a moderate weight but as you tire demons appear. I had about 2 minutes left when beginning the jumps / step ups in the last round and I allowed myself to settle for just completing that round. There might have been another 5 - 10 reps in the tank, maybe.

Again, it's a very low score in the grander scheme of things but got to accept the reality of where I am at this moment in time.
Old 16-03-13, 13:57   #95
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Workout 26, Saturday 16th 11:00am

Shortly after posting last night's session I passed out asleep on the couch and probably ended up sleeping 10 and a half hours altogether so there possibly wasn't the 5 or 10 reps left in the tank that I though there might have been last night.

Warmup

Walk to the Gym
Skipping, stretching, wall slides, some dead hang swings

Strength Movement

Establish a 1 rep max Front Squat

So, hmm. So far any squat strength sessions have been High Bar Back Squat based, and I've generally only attempted Front Squats as part of metcon work which I've struggled with as it feels uncomfortable racking the bar after cleaning it. As such, I didn't have very high expectations here:

3 @ bar
3 @ 40kgs

---

At this point coach noted that I was dipping my head forward and making a meal of the whole thing. Told me to focus on a point on the far wall and really keep my chest high - also asked me to move my hands closer when taking it from the rack. I also realised at this point that setting the rack up at the same point as I would the HBBS was a mistake. So I stripped the bar and took it off and adjusted the pins a notch lower.

This all made a huge difference!

3 @ 50kgs
2 @ 55kgs
1 @ 60kgs
1 @ 65kgs
1 @ 70kgs - asked one of the coaches there to take a close look at this one and he informed me depth and form were good and that it looked light
1 @ 75kgs
1 @ 80kgs - only got to parallel on this one I was informed
1 @ 85kgs - this was a good rep and I was told to try 90kgs
1 @ 90kgs - this felt fine so I asked if I could try one more
1 @ 95kgs - had to grind it a little but "good rep" said the coach

Being greedy, I think there was more there but we'd run out of time allotted. Now, from reading other people's logs, etc it seems that generally your front squat will be less than your back squat so I'd imagine my 1 rep max back squat is probably much higher than the theoretical 1 rep max I've been basing Tuesday sessions off - which is good.

Metcon

15 minute cap:

3 Rounds of:

50 double unders
25 wall ball shots with 20kgs ball
10 muscle ups (with muscle up progression)

This wasn't particularly enjoyable. I've not done a double under yet, so the first five minutes were filled with the coach trying to get me to skip more efficiently with tension maintained on the rope. Then the muscle ups - even from a kneeling start - are a bit of a disaster.

Did two good rounds of the wall ball shots though so something was achieved.
Old 16-03-13, 15:19   #96
Bubbleking
Always loved Keano

Thats an impressive front squat!
Bubbleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 16-03-13, 15:33   #97
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbleking View Post
Thats an impressive front squat!
Meh, relative to bodyweight it's not great. But I don't think I'd have managed anywhere near it two months ago which is the main thing!
Old 18-03-13, 14:58   #98
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Workout 27, Monday 18th 12:00pm

Warmup

Foam rolling
Some stretching
Jumping jacks
Intensive dynamic PVC pipe work

Skill Movement

7X1 Three first Pulls + Hang Snatch

Just worked with wooden plate markers on the bar. I need to move past a power snatch technique so for the next while I'll have to think about locking out at the top and practising an overhead squat. Until I feel comfortable with that movement getting under the bar will be a pipe dream.

Metcon

10 Minute AMRAP:

3 Hi Hang Cleans into Thrusters @ 40kgs
3 burpee box jumps @ 20 "
3 ring rows

Then repeat with 6, 9, 12, etc of each movement

Got to 5 Box jumps on the round of 9. The clean and thrusters used up too much energy as I am not able to do it all in one fluid movement. It was rather: clean, front squat, strict press. Hopefully thrusters will get better with practice

-----------

Bad news. For the last couple of weeks my knees have been bothering me a few hours after sessions - particularly when getting to your feet after sitting in work for a period, etc. It has only been getting worse so I asked my direct coach about it after the session, and after chatting he reckons it's a bout of tendinitis prolly caused by previously noted poor quad flexibility. He's going to modify each session so that I'm avoiding quad loading movements and I'll have to cut back on walking and try and ice the knees / stretch the quads more.

Irritating but probably good I mentioned it now rather than carrying on with it as I have been the past two weeks. He noted that if I don't deal with it now it could be the kind of thing that puts me out for months.

Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 18-03-13 at 15:03.
LuckyLloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-13, 17:22   #99
Semibluff

fair play lloyd

admire you giving it the dedication it needs

just to echo on the food front. If you work out really hard you will need to be eating a lot of the proper foods. 5 meals a day. start more chicken in the diet (chicken breast, come cajun powder and oven, simples)

you are dedicated to the training, just make sure the food is the same. The confidence you will get when you move up weights, can be echoed by the confidence you'll receive when others you know notice your weight loss and hard work.

Best of luck anyways
Old 18-03-13, 23:47   #100
digiman

Great read, about to go to bootcamp this morning after a 6 week challenge where I changed my diet quite a bit. Going to get weighed, compare max reps and runs this morning to what I had done 6 weeks ago to see if I improved.

Is crossfit a bootcamp but more concentration on weights, heavy lifts? Might look it up as I think I would like to progress a bit more further now than what bootcamp can offer.
digiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Personal Logs