Irish Poker Boards
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Personal Logs

Old 26-02-13, 22:08   #61
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Workout 13, Tue 26th 7:30pm

Had a health screen today, so got weight and height measured. 150kgs on the nose at 6ft 3.5 inches. A little scary. Usual blah, blah during the physical about how I'm carrying the wealth well and am in good mechanical nick, but the message is consistently 'lose weight, lose weight, lose weight'. Fingers crossed bloods come back okay and I haven't started to make a change too late!

Warmup

Walk to the gym, foam rolling
Stretches

Strength Movement

High Bar Back Squat

5 @ bar
5 @ 60kgs
5 @ 65kgs
3 @ 67.5kgs
3 @ 72.5kgs
3 x 2 @ 75kgs

Need to work on keeping my chin up and weight on the heels, particularly at the bottom of the movement. Coach noticed a little knee cave on the second last set.

Metcon

50 Burpees
20 Front Squats @ 70% (I was told to use 40kgs)
50 Burpees

15 minute cap with proviso that A) you would take a full minute rest at the end of the first 50 Burpees and B) at the 12 minute mark you would finish up squatting if you hadn't already finished and go back to Burpees

Got:

50 Burpees
11 Front Squats
20 Burpees

done in the 15 minutes. Hard work but a very enjoyable session overall.

Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 08-03-13 at 20:03.
LuckyLloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-13, 21:04   #62
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Workout 14, Wed 27th 7:30pm

Warmup

Shoulder dislocates, wall slides, hangs on the Pull Up bar

Skill Movement

Hi Hang Clean + Push Jerk

Did some movement practice with the bar, then a few attempts with bar, then a bunch of singles at 40kgs. Struggled to get under into a deep front squat after the clean so did them as a clean; reset; front squat; reset and then the push jerk

Practice and patience required on this stuff, but it's half an Olympic sport right?

Metcon

5 rounds with 20 minute cap:

32 Split Jumps
16 Kettlebell snatches (alternate arm each set) @ 16kgs
12 Pull Ups

Got as far as completing the Split Jumps on the fourth round. The kettlebell snatches were difficult.

Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 19-05-13 at 21:13.
Old 27-02-13, 21:34   #63
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

A good reminder of why it's worth sticking with these more complicated lifts. Would be nice to move some weight like so in a couple of years time.
Old 02-03-13, 09:04   #64
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Workout 15, Fri 1st 7:30pm

Warmup

Foam rolling, stretches
400 metre jog, stretching
Shoulder dislocates, wall slides

Strength Movement

Top Pull Deadlifts with mixed grip

3 @ 50kgs
2 @ 80kgs
2 @ 100kgs
2 @ 100kgs
3 x 1 @ 120kgs

Metcon

Modified for me as:

7 finger to toes situps
15 12 inch over the box jumps

AMRAP in five minutes
Then rest one minute

Then As many Push Ups as possible in 2 minutes

Managed two full rounds and up to 11 box jumps in the third round then 19 Push Ups. Hard but enjoyable.

Seems that for the next few Fridays we will be doing whatever workout has been released for the Crossfit Open so the Met Cons should be fairly intensive.

Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 08-03-13 at 20:04.
Old 02-03-13, 12:28   #65
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Workout 16, Saturday 2nd 11:00am

Warmup

Walk to the Gym
400 metre jog
Shoulder dislocates then step by step Snatch movement practice with PVC pipe

Skill Movement

Establish a 1 rep max Snatch

I worked from the hang. Did a few triples with the bar, then a couple of doubles with 30kgs then three singles with 35kgs. All practice so all good, but it is surprisingly tiring work.

Metcon

15 minute cap:

3 Rounds of:

9 Thrusters @ 35kgs (should have been 50kgs)
18 kettlebell swings at 24kgs (should have been 32kgs)
9 Wall walks

Got the first round done but, really, the wall walks knocked the stuffing out of me. Struggled through the thrusters and swings in the second round and got one wall walk done before time expired. Very tough!

Old 02-03-13, 12:47   #66
Theresa
lwaysone

Snatch is hands down the most tiring lift imo. Good going Lloyd.
Old 04-03-13, 20:51   #67
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Workout 17, Monday 4th 7:30pm

Warmup

Walk to the Gym
Foam rolling
Leg swings and then snatch movement practice with a PVC Pipe

Skill Movement

Snatch practice with a split between the first pull and the remainder of the movement

Just used the bar with some wooden plate markers to give the bar height off the ground. Practice, practice, practice.

Metcon

15 minute cap:

3 Rounds of:

Run 400 metres
25 Wall Ball shots with a 20kgs weighted ball
1 minute break after round one and 2 minute break after round 2

I HATE running. I was never a man for it even when I was in shape. I could run around a Gaelic Football pitch or squash court no problem, but going out for a run just to run was never my thing. As such, metcons that start to incorporate running are going to be very tough but I'll have to deal with it.

As it was, I made a total meal of this. Went out hard and attacked the first 400 metres, returning to the gym third of the eleven people doing the workout. Went to address the weighted ball and got a sudden reminder that I am 150kgs with little or no cardio work capacity. By the time I'd finished the 25 wall balls and had my minute rest I was last out for the second run and people were starting to return. Second run and second set of wall balls were awful. Finished the second set with 12:40 on the clock and coach told me I was done.

He did note however that my wall ball shots were all of a high quality - good depth and form on the squat and hitting the marker every time. So that was something I guess.

Thanks From:
Old 04-03-13, 22:32   #68
coillcam

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
Workout 18, Monday 4th 7:30pm

Warmup

Walk to the Gym
Foam rolling
Leg swings and then snatch movement practice with a PVC Pipe

Skill Movement

Snatch practice with a split between the first pull and the remainder of the movement

Just used the bar with some wooden plate markers to give the bar height off the ground. Practice, practice, practice.

Metcon

15 minute cap:

3 Rounds of:

Run 400 metres
25 Wall Ball shots with a 20kgs weighted ball
1 minute break after round one and 2 minute break after round 2

I HATE running. I was never a man for it even when I was in shape. I could run around a Gaelic Football pitch or squash court no problem, but going out for a run just to run was never my thing. As such, metcons that start to incorporate running are going to be very tough but I'll have to deal with it.

As it was, I made a total meal of this. Went out hard and attacked the first 400 metres, returning to the gym third of the eleven people doing the workout. Went to address the weighted ball and got a sudden reminder that I am 150kgs with little or no cardio work capacity. By the time I'd finished the 25 wall balls and had my minute rest I was last out for the second run and people were starting to return. Second run and second set of wall balls were awful. Finished the second set with 12:40 on the clock and coach told me I was done.

He did note however that my wall ball shots were all of a high quality - good depth and form on the squat and hitting the marker every time. So that was something I guess.
Your effort and enthusiasm is plain to see. Keep up the good work man! I hate running too. Its for masochistic freaks.
coillcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 05-03-13, 19:29   #69
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Workout 18, Tue 5th 6:30pm

Warmup

Stretches

Strength Movement

High Bar Back Squat

5 @ bar
2 @ 60kgs
5 @ 67.5kgs
3 @ 72.5kgs
3 @ 75kgs
3 x 2 @ 80kgs

Keep those knees out, slow and tight down, explode straight up. Am pausing a bit at the bottom and need to stop that.

Metcon

1 minute of:
5 Hang Cleans @ 40kgs
1 minute of:
Burpees

5 rounds

The idea was that you would get the five cleans done and then spend the rest of the minute split jerking; and that you would take the last 10 seconds of the first four Burpee rounds as a breather. Got two Split Jerks done the first round but just did the cleans for the other four. Shattered at the end.

Clean needs work. Going to start going to every Power Clean day and just try and learn the movement a bit better with nothing more than 30kgs.

Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 08-03-13 at 20:05.
Old 05-03-13, 19:38   #70
Theresa
lwaysone

Just on the cleaning every day thing.

I did the same to learn the movement. Essentiallt blunt force trauma'd myself to learn it. Mirrors, coaching and videos. Sometime a bit if grunt is needed.

That said, it tends to lend itself to niggly repetitive injuries. Cuffs/Arms/Hips depending on form can be strained. No doubt the coaching is sweet but just something to keep in mind.
Old 05-03-13, 21:09   #71
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post

I did the same to learn the movement. Essentiallt blunt force trauma'd myself to learn it. Mirrors, coaching and videos. Sometime a bit if grunt is needed.

That said, it tends to lend itself to niggly repetitive injuries. Cuffs/Arms/Hips depending on form can be strained. No doubt the coaching is sweet but just something to keep in mind.
Yeah, it's no fun right now. Just an awful lot to take in, lots of components. Address the bar and arch correctly; take the tension out; chest up; get above the knees; then shrug up and hip snap; loosen the grip; get under the weight; get good placement on the catch;

As with the snatch it's just so much to take in and there's only one thing for that...
Old 06-03-13, 19:28   #72
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Workout 19, Wed 6th 6:30pm

Warmup

Skipping
Scap prehab drills
Stretches

Strength Movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post

Quote:
Yeah, it's no fun right now. Just an awful lot to take in, lots of components. Address the bar and arch correctly; take the tension out; chest up; get above the knees; then shrug up and hip snap; loosen the grip; get under the weight; get good placement on the catch;

As with the snatch it's just so much to take in and there's only one thing for that...
Establish a 1 Rep Max Power Clean

So I set up 30kgs on the bar and informed the coach that I'd just do some practice with that. He decided that was defeatist and instead proceeded to coach me rep by rep through the following:

3 @ 30kgs
3 @ 30kgs
2 @ 40kgs
2 @ 40kgs
1 @ 45kgs
1 @ 45kgs
1 @ 50kgs
1 @ 50kgs
1 @ 55kgs
1 @ 60kgs (real ugly)
1 @ 60kgs (possibly best of the night)

So I now have a clean, hurray!!

Metcon

2 minutes to:
20 Kettlbell Swings @ 20kgs
12 Lateral 12" Box Jumps
Push Ups with remainder of 2 minute period

1 minute rest

5 rounds

Got 3 Push ups done the first round, then just the swings and jumps every other round - short one jump the last round. Wrecked after.

That's three sessions in three nights and five sessions in six days. A little beat up and looking forward to a day off tomorrow.

Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 08-03-13 at 20:05.
Old 06-03-13, 20:45   #73
Emmet
Bashful the next day

Quote:
So I set up 30kgs on the bar and informed the coach that I'd just do some practice with that. He decided that was defeatist and instead proceeded to coach me rep by rep through the following:
Ugh, there's nothing wrong with babysteps. Most people I've ever trained with even on day one would be more than able to squat an empty bar, but they all start with just that.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...owerClean.html

Learning the lifts thoroughly from the bottom up and not testing too quickly is pretty essential I would say.

I know its frustrating when you're lifting a weight that you know you're able to no problem, but the thing is that while your glutes might have zero issues, or your quads could lift it all day, there's stability issues that you can't feel being fixed/set in place by the lift that if you don't 'set' right, will take an age to iron out.

I'm pretty medicated right now, but hopefully someone else will explain this properly.

(It's actually one of my only gripes about crossfit, and it's seriously common)
Emmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-13, 21:15   #74
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmet View Post
Ugh, there's nothing wrong with babysteps. Most people I've ever trained with even on day one would be more than able to squat an empty bar, but they all start with just that.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...owerClean.html

Learning the lifts thoroughly from the bottom up and not testing too quickly is pretty essential I would say.

I know its frustrating when you're lifting a weight that you know you're able to no problem, but the thing is that while your glutes might have zero issues, or your quads could lift it all day, there's stability issues that you can't feel being fixed/set in place by the lift that if you don't 'set' right, will take an age to iron out.

I'm pretty medicated right now, but hopefully someone else will explain this properly.

(It's actually one of my only gripes about crossfit, and it's seriously common)
Meh, I can't disabuse people of bad perceptions of Crossfit. All I'll say is I was getting advice and demonstration after each rep and I was cut short of going any heavier even when I felt there was more to come. I think the point was that 30kgs was actually too light for me to be forced to work through the movement properly. I know you're waiting to pounce on any story like this though so fire away.
Old 06-03-13, 21:21   #75
Emmet
Bashful the next day

Quote:
Meh, I can't disabuse people of bad perceptions of Crossfit. All I'll say is I was getting advice and demonstration after each rep and I was cut short of going any heavier even when I felt there was more to come. I think the point was that 30kgs was actually too light for me to be forced to work through the movement properly. I know you're waiting to pounce on any story like this though so fire away.
lol what, I basically do Crossfit Training!

Caveman = Crossfit

Move heavy things

What I don't like seeing is people thinking that lifting a heavier weight is better than lifting a lighter one. There's a massive proviso there that gets ignored. People sacrificing form for additional weight = Injuries. It's that simple.
Emmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-13, 21:25   #76
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmet View Post
lol what, I basically do Crossfit Training!

Caveman = Crossfit

Move heavy things

What I don't like seeing is people thinking that lifting a heavier weight is better than lifting a lighter one. There's a massive proviso there that gets ignored. People sacrificing form for additional weight = Injuries. It's that simple.
Fair enough, my form was okay apparently, and I'm unlikely to be allowed to go heavier on the lift for the next 8 weeks.

There is a lot of study of these lifts going on in my spare time at the moment!!
Old 06-03-13, 23:34   #77
Mellor

Quote:
I think the point was that 30kgs was actually too light for me to be forced to work through the movement properly..
Absolutely this 100%

It applies to all lifts, I warm up bench, squats, etc with empty 20kg bar but the full mechanics of the left don't start to fire until you hit about 60% of the load. It's especially true for Oly lifts, you can flick up an empty bar with out nailing every nuance. When it's too heavy and form breaks down, but there's definite a sweet spot in the middle for getting the form down.

I go through phases with cleans. I'll do it for a while and improve, then stop and lose it. Would love a coaching session tbh, I've prob got all sorts if jokes in my form.
Mellor is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
Old 07-03-13, 06:58   #78
Theresa
lwaysone

Agree with Lloyd and Mellor here.

Theres a definite advantage to going a bit heavier.

I reckon if you could plot a 'form curve' for weight and technique it would probably look similar to an elongated bell curve.

Flies in the face of 'the ideal' but its true in my experience.
Old 08-03-13, 05:47   #79
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

This evening is this apparently:

Old 08-03-13, 09:30   #80
Theresa
lwaysone

I usually like training in my own hermit style but you're convincing me more and more to give CF a shot with this log.

Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Personal Logs