Irish Poker Boards
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Personal Logs

Old 08-02-13, 20:08   #41
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Watched this fucking video about five times today, getting the technique right is much, much harder than it looks!!
Old 08-02-13, 20:28   #42
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Workout 7, Fri 8th 6:30pm

Spent the last couple of days eating well, icing my quad and moving / stretching as instructed. Felt good, but heading straight from work is tough I must say.

Warmup

Skipping for 3 minutes
Then PVC pipe shoulder dislocates; overhead squats and some wall slides

Strength Movement

Establish a 1RM Push Press

Never did a barbell press before in my life which is a damning indictment of the kind of training people do when left to their own devices.

5 @ bar
5 @ 30kgs
3 @ 40kgs
2 @ 50kgs
1 @ 55kgs
1 @ 60kgs
1 @ 65kgs
---
1 @ 60kgs
1 @ 60kgs

No failed reps.

Now, it would be incorrect to describe these as a Push Press, or even a strict Press. A 'Press of some description' will have to do. After every rep my rack partner and the coach were going over the cues with me, and every time it made sense. Give myself hip drive, explode the chest high and shrug the shoulders up, then press it from eye level. But actually doing all that properly was beyond me. Basically I was just strict pressing the fucker up there. After the rep at 65kgs my coach informed me 'you're strong as fuck!'; but nonetheless I was told to go back down to 60kgs and focus on doing the movement correctly - i.e. a Push Press rather than a strict Press.

Feel like I could maybe get a moderate amount of weight up there if I got the Push Press technique right and gave myself some help from the hip. Never was in danger of not getting it above my head. Shame.

Metcon

Row 1k
3 attempts to establish unbroken max effort Pull Ups
3 attempts to establish unbroken max effort double unders

Rowed the 1k in 3mins 41.8 seconds. Happy enough.
LOL at the Pull Ups. Best set was the first one with 8 total - and that was black band, slot 14. Lots of work required here.
Double Unders are beyond me at this stage so didn't bother.

Now, I know nothing about Crossfit but apparently the competitive season has begun with the Crossfit Open due to start soon followed by Crossfit Games Regionals, etc. This means that programming is due to change for the next three months and up the ante on the conditioning aspect before going back into a Strength focused cycle thereafter. Well, so I was told before the session began today. Tomorrow looks like a brutal Metcon, but I'll turn up and give it a lash.

Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 08-03-13 at 21:01.
LuckyLloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-13, 22:58   #43
Mellor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
Now, I know nothing about Crossfit but apparently the competitive season has begun with the Crossfit Open due to start soon followed by Crossfit Games Regionals, etc. This means that programming is due to change for the next three months and up the ante on the conditioning aspect before going back into a Strength focused cycle thereafter. Well, so I was told before the session began today. Tomorrow looks like a brutal Metcon, but I'll turn up and give it a lash.
Is Dominic Munnelly a coach at Crossfit Ireland? I think that's where is he. He's qualified for the European regionals the past year or two. The performances required to even qualify is crazy, and the guys coming out on top are superhuman.
Mellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-13, 23:54   #44
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellor View Post
Is Dominic Munnelly a coach at Crossfit Ireland? I think that's where is he. He's qualified for the European regionals the past year or two. The performances required to even qualify is crazy, and the guys coming out on top are superhuman.
No Dominic at this Crossfit. Maybe he's with Crossfit Dublin?
Old 09-02-13, 03:42   #45
Mellor

Quote:
No Dominic at this Crossfit. Maybe he's with Crossfit Dublin?
I checked his website again, definitely says crossfit Ireland.
Although reading it again, I think it might mean he's a PT and trains out if CFI but not necessarily an in-house coach.

Reading this reminds me I really try fit in more conditioning metcons after strength work. Keep it up.
Old 09-02-13, 13:37   #46
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellor View Post
I checked his website again, definitely says crossfit Ireland.
Although reading it again, I think it might mean he's a PT and trains out if CFI but not necessarily an in-house coach.
Ah right. This morning there was a very athletic looking dude taking a few people through a session in the corner of the gym - so that might be the the guy you are thinking of. He doesn't take any of the regular CFI sessions though AFAIK

Workout 8, Sat 9th 11:00am

Felt good this morning and was looking forward to giving it a lash.

Warmup

20 minute walk up the hill to the gym
Great Warmup: lots of shuttle running, leg swings, dynamic stretching, air squats and then practice of each Metcon movement with the bar

Metcon

Modified version of 2012 Regionals Individual Event 4 (whatever the fuck that is)

For time with a 25 minute cap:

30 HBBS @ 50 Kgs (would be 60kgs)
20 Pull Ups (black band, slot 14)
10 Shoulder to Overheads performed via a Push Jerk @ 50kgs (would be 60kgs)
30 Front Squats @ 30kgs (would be 40kgs)
10 Shoulder to Overheads performed via a Push Jerk @ 30kgs (would be 40kgs)
30 Overhead Squats @ 20kgs (would be 30kgs)
10 Shoulder to Overheads performed via a Push Jerk @ 20kgs (would be 30kgs)

Now, before anyone wonders, there was no expectation of me getting near finishing all this. As it was, I got through the squats and Pull Ups for the first round okay and then began the shoulder to overheads whereupon the coach insisted I dump the bar eventhough I felt okay. The issue? Just straight muscling it up there again. I was told to strip the bar down to 30kgs and practice a Push Jerk movement. Got the last 6 reps doing that. Difficult technique but yet again you can see how it would be possible to move decent weight like that if you could grasp the movement.

Disaster from there tbh. I have dreadful shoulder flexibility and found it immensely difficult to perform the Front Squats as it is virtually impossible for me to get my elbows out in front to stabilize the bar. Struggled through trying the movement with the bar and, eventually, with dumbells on the advice of the coach. He showed me some stretches after we finished and I'll need to work on opening the shoulders as I have to be able to hold the bar in a comfortable and stable position in front for a lot of the lifts we do.

Got 19 Pull Ups done then before the clock ran out.

Just have to stick at it. On the plus side, I've been following the coach's advice re my left quad all week, foam rolling / stretching / icing and I didn't notice it today so that's good.

Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 08-03-13 at 21:02.
Old 09-02-13, 20:09   #47
TomD

Very best of luck Lloyd

If you need any help, just shout.
TomD is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 19-02-13, 22:20   #48
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Workout 9, Tue 19th 7:30pm

So, the night after the last workout I felt poorly and took a trip to the hospital the next day. Long story short, nasty sinus infection (well, so the doctor guessed on the basis that I had been unwell for a couple of weeks), one week on antibiotics and no training.

Didn't even feel 100% this evening but seen as I'd finished my Penicillin I reckoned I had to get back on the wagon

Warmup

20 minute walk up the hill to the gym (these are getting easier - no back pain anymore)
Warm ups in gym were leg swings, shuttle runs and stretching

Strength Movement

High Bar Back Squat

5 @ bar
5 @ 40kgs
3 x 5 @ 60kgs
3 x 3 @ 70kgs

Very light weight obviously, but my flexibility and depth are improving so I found them tough at least. Slightly lightheaded after - tough coming back from being ill.

Metcon

Needless to say, no expectation anyone would finish:

25 Box Jumps @ 24 inches (Coach had me do 16 inches as I hadn't done them before)
5 rounds of:
5 Hang Cleans @ 30kgs (would have been Power Cleans @ 70kgs)
10 Hand Release Push Ups
15 Air Squats

25 Box Jumps

3 rounds of:
5 Hang Cleans @ 30kgs (would have been Power Cleans @ 70kgs)
10 Hand Release Push Ups
15 Air Squats

25 Box Jumps

Got the box jumps and 4 rounds finished inside the 20 minute cap. Found it very difficult, sweat was pumping out of me the whole session but I just stuck at it as best I can taking lots of little pauses.

Hopefully that's the end of being ill and I can put the head down properly for an extended period.

Old 20-02-13, 22:21   #49
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Workout 10, Wed 20th 7:30pm

Bad session. Still not 100% which is slightly concerning at this stage, but went down anyway.

Warmup

20 minute walk up the hill to the gym
Warm ups in gym were leg swings, shuttle runs, wall slides and stretching

Strength Movement

15 minutes to establish a 1 rep max Push Jerk

Heaviest I ended up doing was 50kgs but, really, this was about trying to practice the movement. The theory of it makes sense but falls apart when it comes to actually doing it. Needless to say, it is necessary to try and perfect the movement with a low weight but my ability to easily press 50kgs over my head doesn't force me to do it right. Work in progress.

It is a pretty cool lower body movement though, and I look forward to getting the hang of it.

Metcon

9 mins AMRAP:

Push Jerk @ 70kgs (I left 50kgs on the bar)
10 toes to bar (I did hand to toe crunches)
40 double unders (I did single unders)

This was supposed to be intense, as fast as you can work but I was making a balls of the Push Jerks and fucked the bar down after a couple yelling an expletive () to which the coach came over and - as one may deal with an unruly child - ordered me to strip the bar and practice the movement in stages, then add 10kgs, etc. This sucked up most of the time, and after I had managed a couple of clean ones I was left with enough time to do one round of the sit ups and single unders. Need to be more patient.

Old 20-02-13, 22:29   #50
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Also, was thinking about throwing €200 at Ben Dunne and going down once a week to do some squats and alternating overhead / bench press. It seems pretty organised down there into:

Monday: Olympic movement
Tuesday: Squat
Wednesday: Olympic movement
Friday: Deadlift
Saturday: Longer Metcon or Benchmark Metcon

And change my week into:

Tuesday: Crossfit Squat day
Thursday: Gym, HBBS / Press
Saturday: Longer Metcon
Sunday: Crossfit Deadlift day

Possibly over thinking things, but they don't Bench Press (or Overhead / Push Press) regularly. I think the belief is that you will get enough pressing strength from regular push ups and until you can do 50 perfect form of those why add external weight. Not unreasonable. That said, I kinda miss it (gunz bro) and adding in a second squat day might be highly beneficial.

Thoughts? If anyone wishes to note that I should try and walk before I can run fire ahead.
Old 20-02-13, 22:30   #51
Emmet
Bashful the next day

Lloyd, perhaps a slightly negative post, but is there a small element of trying to run before you can walk here?

I'm a huge fan of crossfit (done properly) and a massive detractor of crossfit (done without proper form).

Would you be better off with broomstick (or bar only) sessions for a couple of weeks practicing form? And then taking that to crossfit?

I am training a complete newbie at the minute, and he's still not lifting any more than 35kg at any lift. He's certainly able to (physically), but I'm building up the form of each lift carefully with him. He understands why we're doing it, being overtly anal now so as not having to re-programme down the line (much harder to do!).

If not broomstick only for a few weeks, what about cutting the crossfit to 1 session and doing form & number sessions with a PT alongside it?

Just a suggestion, as I know full well that the technical side of the lifts can become far too much to think about while trying to complete the tasks listed in the sessions.

edit: cracking simul-post
Emmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-13, 22:36   #52
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmet View Post
Lloyd, perhaps a slightly negative post, but is there a small element of trying to run before you can walk here?

I'm a huge fan of crossfit (done properly) and a massive detractor of crossfit (done without proper form).

Would you be better off with broomstick (or bar only) sessions for a couple of weeks practicing form? And then taking that to crossfit?

I am training a complete newbie at the minute, and he's still not lifting any more than 35kg at any lift. He's certainly able to (physically), but I'm building up the form of each lift carefully with him. He understands why we're doing it, being overtly anal now so as not having to re-programme down the line (much harder to do!).

If not broomstick only for a few weeks, what about cutting the crossfit to 1 session and doing form & number sessions with a PT alongside it?

Just a suggestion, as I know full well that the technical side of the lifts can become far too much to think about while trying to complete the tasks listed in the sessions.
Already had that chat after the session today. Coach reckons I shouldn't have anything more than 30kgs on the bar for any barbell movement that isn't a squat or deadlift from now on until I'm nailing the movements. Also, to be fair, I was told that I wasn't in danger of hurting myself - just was pressing the fucking thing rather than push jerking it.

I'd be against just doing one Crossfit session, but am thinking of avoiding the Olympic lift days for a couple of months.
Old 21-02-13, 09:53   #53
TomD

I don't think strength is an issue for you Lloyd. I think you would reap a lot of benefit from concentrating mobility and technique. My most worthwhile investment of the past few years has been a set of iron woody bands. I use them for band pullaparts, dislocates and even for overhead squating. Concentrating on improvements in shoulder mobility and hip flexibility will beneift you more in the long run than the amount of weight on the bar.

Mine were expensive at the time, but i can see they are much cheaper now from these guys. http://www.d8fitness.com/store/power-bands/

Oh, and gunz bro...we all need gunz
TomD is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 21-02-13, 09:58   #54
Emmet
Bashful the next day

I think you've got the right idea, try stick to the crossfit sessions that you know (squats, deadlifts etc), and avoid the more involved Oly lift sessions until you are happy with your form and technique.

I've been trying to nail the Snatch (not a euphemism) for the last 5 weeks and am making very very slow progress. There is no way that I could do it in a Crossfit session, even after 10 technique sessions.
Emmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 21-02-13, 10:34   #55
Mellor

Mobility mobility mobility
Even regarding "straight forward" movements like squats and deadlifts. Improved technique will help you lift a bitbmore but it's mobility that decides if you can get into the correct position or not.

Making 1 day a week a "mobility workout" would return dividends, or failing that. Investing some time at home.
Thanks From:
Old 21-02-13, 12:40   #56
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

They've been a big help re mobility already to be fair. I've been given some specific stretches and foam rolling to be doing myself, and the first 15 minutes of each session involves dynamic stretching. I'm already getting better depth on squats and feeling more comfortable while doing them.

Thanks for the comments though, food for thought and a good suggestion re the bands.

Also any thoughts re supplements? They got a delivery of D3, Fish Oil and M3. What do you lads bother with, if anything?
Old 21-02-13, 19:18   #57
Teddie

Best of luck with this Lloyd. Looking forward to seeing your blossoming bromance with Rich Froning and Dan Baily at the 2014 crossfit games.
Teddie is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 23-02-13, 09:00   #58
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Workout 11, Fri 22nd 6:30pm

Warmup

Got delayed coming out of work and was a real rush to the gym. Missed the first five minutes of warm ups so not ideal. Got some stretching in.

Strength Movement

Top Pull Deadlifts

2 @ 60kgs
2 @ 80kgs
2 @ 100kgs
2 @ 100kgs
2 @ 120kgs
2 @ 120kgs
2 @ 120kgs

These are interesting. Used a mixed grip for the first time.

Metcon

20 minute cap:

30 Kettlebell swings (I used 16kgs)
30 Wall ball shots (this is a squat holding a weighted ball in front of a wall and you explode out of the squat to throw it against a point on the wall, catch and repeat)
30 Pull Ups
20 Kettlebell swings
20 Wall ball shots
20 Pull Ups
10 Kettlebell swings
10 Wall ball shots
10 Pull Ups

Got the first round done, then 20 swings, 20 wall shots and two pull ups.

Very enjoyable workout.

Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 08-03-13 at 21:03.
Old 23-02-13, 13:48   #59
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Workout 12, Sat 23rd 11:00am

Not going to lie, a little beat up this morning.

Warmup

Walk to the gym
Skipping, leg swings, stretching

Strength Movement

Bear Complex variant:

Clean
3 Front Squats
1 Split Jerk
3 Back Squats
1 behind the neck Split Jerk

Did:

Movement practice with the bar with the coach
2 rounds with bar
3 rounds with 30kgs

Metcon

Bench Mark Retest day:

Quote:
starting workout:

500 metres row at level 6 resistance
40 bodyweight squats (full depth - he placed a small ball behind me as a guide)
30 sit ups
20 push ups
10 pullups (with a heavy assistance band for myself needless to say)

as fast as you can

There was an emphasis on getting good form and doing full movements and when he was satisfied I was approaching each one correctly I began. Wanted to die during the pushups and found them incredibly difficult (proper form pushup when you're 140kgs is tough). Struggled through in 12 mins 36 seconds.
10 minutes and 35 seconds today so a decent enough improvement over the four weeks. Did squats in groups of 10, push ups in groups of 5 and stayed consistent through the whole thing. Nice to see some progress.

Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 08-03-13 at 21:03.
Old 23-02-13, 15:02   #60
shrapnel
chevauche moi sur le côté, Kylian

Quote:
Workout 13, Sat 23rd 6:30pm
you re time travelling too now? Fair play!!

seems like you re really enjoying it to be fair. Would love to be able to do something like this, but my leg could nt cope unfortunately.
shrapnel is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:

Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Personal Logs