Irish Poker Boards
Irish Open 2019 - 2
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Personal Logs

Old 27-01-13, 13:29   #21
Elshambles
Wierdo

Month of feb; no sugar, no wheat, no take-aways, you will melt away!
Old 27-01-13, 14:56   #22
Lurker23

Crossfit? Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Ah seriously though, you've definitely made the right decision. From what I hear, the guys down there are fantastic and will put you on the right track in terms of nutrition, goals, form etc. I'll add that if you feel you need a specific squat/dl/bench session you can always come up and train with me for free if you like.

One thing that's overlooked is the mind imo. Try your best to focus on nothing but your session for that hour. Nothing else matters. Furthermore, over time you'll get used to the movements and will instinctively know whether your form is correct.

Same logic applies to what you're eating. It's hard to go wrong if you have a food schedule made out with everything you will eat during the day and at what time. Routine is important as we're creatures of habit. Take the thinking out of your eating.

Learn about foam rolling, trigger point therapy and dynamic stretching drills. Will save you a lot of hassle in the long run.

Lets be honest, you're going to be absolutely ploughed with information both at CF and on here. There's so much conflicting information in the fitness world it'd make you're head explode. Above all, baby steps. Keep it simple stupid
Lurker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 27-01-13, 15:25   #23
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker23 View Post
Crossfit? Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Ah seriously though, you've definitely made the right decision. From what I hear, the guys down there are fantastic and will put you on the right track in terms of nutrition, goals, form etc. I'll add that if you feel you need a specific squat/dl/bench session you can always come up and train with me for free if you like.

One thing that's overlooked is the mind imo. Try your best to focus on nothing but your session for that hour. Nothing else matters. Furthermore, over time you'll get used to the movements and will instinctively know whether your form is correct.

Same logic applies to what you're eating. It's hard to go wrong if you have a food schedule made out with everything you will eat during the day and at what time. Routine is important as we're creatures of habit. Take the thinking out of your eating.

Learn about foam rolling, trigger point therapy and dynamic stretching drills. Will save you a lot of hassle in the long run.

Lets be honest, you're going to be absolutely ploughed with information both at CF and on here. There's so much conflicting information in the fitness world it'd make you're head explode. Above all, baby steps. Keep it simple stupid
That's a very nice offer, you may regret it!!

Overwhelmed! And yeah, the first challenge for me is to get a couple of weeks of consistent training and non terrible eating in. Walk before you can run, etc.
Old 27-01-13, 16:29   #24
Theresa
lwaysone

Couldnt agree more with Lurker. Space between your ears is the weakest part of your body for most people. It always tries to give in first.

I posted that Killing the Fat Man vid in the BBV a while ago. The guy is infectious. Really good watch despite the obvious marketing tendencies.

Also, watch the vids I posted with Owen Franks the kiwi prop and his Oly coach. Pure gold in terms of crossover and transfer skills and technique.

Most of all, fair balls to ya dude. Keep it lit from the beginning and you will be so so so suprised at how much you can do.

gogogogogo
Old 28-01-13, 09:15   #25
drive56

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack90210 View Post
Where you doing the masters in nutrition?
Doing the masters in excercise and nutrition science via University of Chester. Its a 2 year part time masters
drive56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 29-01-13, 20:56   #26
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Workout 2, Tue 29th 7:30pm

Preparation far from ideal. Was ill last night and actually threw up. Food poisoning of some sort I wager. Got barely any sleep and stayed at home working on the laptop rather than going into the office. Held some food down in the afternoon and come 5pm I had a choice of getting an hour or so's kip and going or cancelled. Demonstrated the big heart and went.*

Warmup

20 minute walk up the hill to the gym after some glute and back stretching at home beforehand
Warm ups in gym were light High Bar Back Squats to work weights and some Hang Cleans to try and get familiar with the movement

Strength Movement

High Bar Back Squat @ 60kgs

So the idea was to warm up then do 3 sets of 10 with very brief pauses at top of the movement. I managed:

10 @ 60kgs
7.5 @ 60kgs (had to drop bar behind when coming out of the hole on the eight rep)
10 @ 50kgs

Was good to hear that my form was okay to start. Squats are super tough when done properly though! Gets so hard to force yourself up and you really need to concentrate on getting air in and keeping things tight before going down.

Metcon

5 rounds for time with a 15 minute cap of:

4 Hang Cleans @ 30kgs (would have been Power Cleans @ 80% of 1 rep max)
8 Push Ups (would have been 8 Hand Stand Push Ups)
40 Skips (would have been 40 double unders)

The Hang Cleans were a disaster. Super technical movement and, needless to say, I made a total meal of it. Something to stay super light on for a long time and work on form.

Skipping was much improved from the other night, timing much improved. Push Ups were solid.

Overall I managed three rounds + 3 Hang Cleans in the 15 minutes. Totally gassed after it.

Feel tired now, but glad I went in the end.

*i.e. I'm dumb as a bag of rocks

Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 08-03-13 at 20:00.
LuckyLloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-13, 22:49   #27
Mellor

Best of luck with this Lloyd. Crossfit gets a lot of criticism, but its mostly aimed at the main site and the nonsense HQ comes out with. Anything i've read regarding CrossFit Ireland has been positive - they do a great job of filtering out the BS by the sounds of things.

Given your NFL interest you might like http://www.crossfitfootball.com/ also.
A branch of CF that build up a good rep by distancing itself from HQ.
Old 02-02-13, 11:35   #28
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Workout 3, Sat 2nd 10:00am

Was very sore for a a few days after Tuesday night. Squats had properly kicked my glutes in their proverbial balls. Work / poker was hardly ideal activity during the intervening period. I also realised on Thursday night that some of the pain was a strain of some description above my left knee. Irritating, but given that today's workout wasn't going to unduly pressure that area I saw no reason not to go down.

Also got a call yesterday morning from one of the coaches who has been assigned as 'my' trainer. Gave me his number and email and noted that I could fire on any nutrition or training questions and, as part of the membership, he'd get back to us as soon as possible. That's pretty cool needless to say.

Warmup

20 minute walk up the hill to the gym
Great Warmup: two minutes skipping; shoulder dislocates with pvc pipe; wall slides; lots of dynamic stretching. Felt good to go afterwards.

Benchmark Metcon

'Helen'

Three rounds for time:

500m Row (would be 400m run outside of Winter)
21 Kettlebell swings @ 16kgs (should be 24kgs for men but want to get comfortable with the movement first)
12 Pullups (black assistance band at slot 14 - was slot 10 last Saturday)

Struggled through in 22 minutes which is not a good time. Did the first round straight through (1:50 for the row; all 21 swings; all 12 pullups) and then the second row and it became a real struggle from there. The coach made the point to me after that if you were going to run 5k you wouldn't sprint the first 100m. I'll have to get better at learning how to pace myself and staying consistent and steady through the workouts.

3 Thanks From:
Old 02-02-13, 14:47   #29
V for Vendetta
Shameless

Good luck with this Lloyd. Don't forget you can't outtrain a bad diet. Get the diet right and you'll be 80% there over time.
Old 03-02-13, 11:32   #30
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Workout 4, Sun 3rd 10:00am

Late night last night and there was a few beers and lots of bad food involved. Managed 5 hours sleep before the alarm went off. Needless to say, not ideal preparation.

Warmup

A few shuttle runs, stretching and then some light deadlifts

Strength Movement

Deadlifts @ 90kgs

So the idea was to warm up a few then do three sets of 10 at ~70 - 80% of one's max with a 3 minute rest between each set. And doing the sets as singles one after the other - i.e. dropping the bar at the top.

I only worried about doing two sets of 10, as my coach advised. He spent a lot of time giving me pointers and it was really more practice on form than anything else.

Did 20 in the end but, as I say, it was really about figuring out good cues and getting into a rhythm of how to address the bar and approach the movement correctly.

Metcon

30 Push Ups
20 Pull Ups (Black band, slot 14)
25 16kgs kettle ball swings
60 Sit Ups (anchored with ab mat placed beneath you)
70 Burpees

Strict 20 minute cap

Push Ups and Pull Ups were a terrible struggle. Went as hard as I could yesterday and obviously hadn't recovered fully. Managed 51 Sit Ups before the 20 minutes were up, so not good. Just have to stick at this and will hopefully see some increase in my work capacity over time.

Old 03-02-13, 12:10   #31
drive56

Are you relatively new to training? The training your doing is pretty tough if youre just starting out. Ive been training for quite a while and when I started cross fit and olympic lifting, the idea I went with was dropping weight down, getting form perfect and building up slowly. It seems like youre doing an awful lot in a session with a danger of over training and hitting plateaus. You may not build up the strength sufficiently in hamstrings, groin and glutes etc. Just curious as to your history prior to this blog, not saying theres anything wrong with what your doing!
Thanks From:
Old 03-02-13, 14:09   #32
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive56 View Post
Are you relatively new to training? The training your doing is pretty tough if youre just starting out. Ive been training for quite a while and when I started cross fit and olympic lifting, the idea I went with was dropping weight down, getting form perfect and building up slowly. It seems like youre doing an awful lot in a session with a danger of over training and hitting plateaus. You may not build up the strength sufficiently in hamstrings, groin and glutes etc. Just curious as to your history prior to this blog, not saying theres anything wrong with what your doing!
In a word, no. I'm not a beginner to hard training. Would have played sport at a high enough level up to my early twenties, would have been fairly active with squash and football for a couple of years in my mid twenties; and lifted regularly on and off the past couple of years.

The weights I'm using for Squats, deadlifts and cleans thus far are quite light (Hang Clean @ 30kgs!), using a 16kgs kettlebell. The metcons are tough, but you can only go as hard as you can go for the 15 / 20 minutes and that concept would be familiar to me over the years.

That my times on the metcons are so bad (if that what has you wondering) is an indication of how out of shape I had allowed myself to get, as opposed to me being a beginner who was sedentary to this point.

Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 03-02-13 at 14:14.
Old 03-02-13, 16:16   #33
Lurker23

Quote:
I hate that word. It really doesn't apply to someone trying to regain fitness or any of us average joes for that matter. Our capacity to train correctly and hold form will go long before we are mentally exhausted. You see that word used as an excuse more than anything else.

I realise it can happen but we underestimate just how far we'd have to go and push our CNS in order to acheive that state. A beginner certainly hasn't got the efficiency/skill to overload the CNS. The more advanced you get the more likely you are have the capability of overtraining but getting to that level is a long road in itself.
Thanks From:
Old 03-02-13, 17:12   #34
drive56

I was using the words "over training" in relation to the first question I posed which was are you relatively new to training. If his answer was yes, do you not think that the metcon he did in his last training session would be too much for the beginner? Perhaps the words over training were incorrect to imply what I was actually asking. I was trying to find out his level of experience in relation to the training regimen he's currently on.
Old 03-02-13, 17:37   #35
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
I was trying to find out his level of experience in relation to the training regimen he's currently on.
Would you still have concerns given my response? What in particular would worry you about the sessions so far / today's session?
Old 03-02-13, 17:49   #36
Lurker23

Quote:
I was using the words "over training" in relation to the first question I posed which was are you relatively new to training. If his answer was yes, do you not think that the metcon he did in his last training session would be too much for the beginner? Perhaps the words over training were incorrect to imply what I was actually asking. I was trying to find out his level of experience in relation to the training regimen he's currently on.
Not really tbh. That metcon is mostly BW stuff with a time limit. I'd imagine they're trying to get a feel for Lloyd's level of fitness whilst using exercises that he can perform safely and will tailor the metcons appropriately once they know where he's at. I doubt he was expected to finish it on the first attempt.

The guys down there are excellent and he is in great hands.
Thanks From:
Old 03-02-13, 21:01   #37
drive56

I think my post has been taken in the wrong way. Any concern I had or stated was based on my assumption that he had no training experience, which is why I asked about his level of experience. I wasnt commenting on his ability to complete the metcon at present because i have been told he has the experience. And yes its all body weight stuff. but in my opinion very few beginners would be able to do that metcon
Thanks From:
Old 03-02-13, 21:45   #38
Mellor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker23 View Post
I hate that word. It really doesn't apply to someone trying to regain fitness or any of us average joes for that matter...
Massive +1 from me.
Over-training has become a trendy way of saying "I'm kinda tired", and its often just as a justification for easing off on the effort. If you want to take a break, go for it, you don't need any other excuse.

Actually Overtraining takes more than 2-3weeks to recover from (by definition) its a concern for the likes of JackyBack and other IronMan triathletes - not those of us trying improve fitness.

Quote:
I think my post has been taken in the wrong way. Any concern I had or stated was based on my assumption that he had no training experience, which is why I asked about his level of experience. I wasnt commenting on his ability to complete the metcon at present because i have been told he has the experience. And yes its all body weight stuff. but in my opinion very few beginners would be able to do that metcon
I agree very few beginners would finish the metcon - but I don't think that fact is particularly important. Just because you don't finish, doesn't mean you weren't working out. That's the beauty of well programmed metcons, you can only go so hard or as fast as you as you are able. There's a massive difference between over-training and over-reaching.

Looking at the metcon in question, I imagine most people aren't expected to finish, by design. A person "score" is simply how far they get. And if you do complete it in 20mins, you increase the K-Bell weight, or change the pull up band the next time. Very few people are going to smash it out under 10 mins without scaling.

Quote:
30 Push Ups
20 Pull Ups (Black band, slot 14)
25 16kgs kettle ball swings
60 Sit Ups
70 Burpees
Old 04-02-13, 13:18   #39
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Workout 5, Mon 4th 12:00pm

Had the day off on account of the Superbowl so decided to book in for this. Now, before someone goes 'that's silly programming' re deadlifts again, you have to understand that Sundays are make up sessions and a repeat of Friday classes.

Warmup

Skipping, PVC bar stuff (shoulder dislocates, overhead squats, squat presses), dynamic stretching

Flexibility is generally poor and I find the warmups a real challenge at present. Hilarious what you used to believe constituted good stretching.

Skill Movement

Hi Hang Snatch practice with the bar

Just practiced the jump and catch movement with instruction from one of the coaches. Olympic lifts are highly, highly technical. I'm obviously a long, long way off from doing a full form snatch.

Metcon

Supposed to be 'Diane' which is:

21 - 15 - 9

Deadlifts @ 100kgs for men
Hand Stand Push Ups

For time

But was modified for me to

Deadlifts @ 90kgs again
Wall climbs

with the proviso that I concentrate on doing the 21 Deadlifts well with a reset each time and then just practice the wall climbs for the remainder of the 15 minutes

Got the Deadlifts done and am happy that I'm getting a good process going each time, then got five minutes of wall climb practice in - they are so very, very tough!!

That's three workouts in three days where I was off work. Will be harder tomorrow hitting down after work, then will take a couple of days off.

Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 08-03-13 at 20:01.
Thanks From:
Old 05-02-13, 20:50   #40
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Workout 6, Tue 5th 7:30pm

Was really looking forward to tonight when it was posted on the website last night. Figured my one rep max would be laughable but was well psyched up to see what it was nonetheless. Rest and food was all good. Felt good heading out the door.

Warmup

Shuttle runs, dynamic stretches and some air squats to warm up

Strength Movement

Establish a one rep max High Bar Back Squat

Had a chat with the coach and, on the basis of last week, the objective was to work towards ~85kgs. So:

Bar x 5
60kgs x 4
---

Quote:
I also realised on Thursday night that some of the pain was a strain of some description above my left knee.
Injured it seems! Sharp pain in the same spot on the third rep. Apparently I'm moving my knees forward initially as opposed to shoving my knees out and breaking at the hip to begin with.

So, while everyone else was having great fun I sat it out in the corner foam rolling the affected area and stretching.

Metcon

Was skipping and wall ball shots for everyone else but, on account of my quad, I was tasked with

5 rounds of:

1 minute 16kgs Kettlebell Swings
1 minute Push Ups
1 minute rest

Tough obviously, but worked as hard as I could.

Was given an Ice Pack and some advice re looking after the injury, so will hopefully be good to go for Friday evening (and there is nothing in it that should pressure the area).

Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 08-03-13 at 20:01.

Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Personal Logs