Irish Poker Boards
Irish Open 2020
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games

Old 23-07-19, 13:54   #1641
dobby

Anyone recommend a top restaurant for the missus birthday in a couple weeks. Chapter One on hols for the dates and Patrick Gilbauld booked. Did L'Ecrivain last year so dont wanna do it again.

Price not an issue once it's not totally outrageous lol
dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-19, 14:29   #1642
Lao Lao

All the below worth a look IMO

Bastible
Uno Mas
One Pico
The Green House
Pearl Brasserie
Forest Avenue
Forest & Marcy
Lao Lao is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 23-07-19, 14:54   #1643
Tar.Aldarion

Send a message via MSN to Tar.Aldarion Send a message via Skype™ to Tar.Aldarion
We were talking about having wines blindly on here recently, and telling the difference. So I did a blind tasting menu in Barcelona with paired wines this week, an amazing present from a wonderful girl I met a couple of months ago. I've always wanted to do one! I didn't know what to expect from the experience, I thought I'd be blindfolded but I wasn't. It was so much more than that.

We arrived to the swanky looking upstairs area to be greeted by a glass of Cava and an explanation of everything that would happen from the host. Being the only person there that did not speak Spanish (my partner in crime is Brazilian and they appear to get Spanish as a bit of a freebie, mildly kidding, she is great with languages but they have an easier time of it) he explained once to everybody and then stared directly at me, the gringo, to explain everything again while all and sundry stood waiting, hangry eyes boring into me. He seemed to give up at some point but she told me the rest.

The serving staff member came to greet us, she was blind, all the serving staff there are. It was to be an experience of what it was like for them. We were to forgo all things that could possibly emit light and were to stand in a particular order so that you could be matched sitting across a table with your dinner partner.

We lined up and started to go down a ramp underground, with no source of light whatsoever for the rest of the evening. To even navigate to dinner I had to put my hand on a girls shoulder, as we conga'd our way deeper.

It was an interesting experience even getting seated at that point, and hearing a full dining room of people that you can't see, being led by a blind woman that couldn't speak English, with no idea of the layout of the room was quite intriguing. I eventually found my seat, alongside a wall. I was quite happy to even touch anything around me after the void.

I could hear my partners voice from a mere few feet away but yet could see nothing, a voice with no source. I love it. It's quite funny how you act with each other at that point, unbridled of anybody seeing you. Reaching out for contact, touching faces and so on. You certainly feel a lot more free to do whatever you want. If you are into exhibitionism, this dinner is for you.

Over the next few hours we had an amazing time, each plate would come out with an assortment of "things" on it that you would gleefully stick your hands into, cutlery ignored. Initial confusion sets in as our plates seem different, only to quickly realise one of us will have to invert ours so that they are matching. Discussing what things are together is the most fun, to be hilariously wrong about some at the end! Especially as it is fine dining and they trick you, an aged tomato tastes of aubergine, a snap pea of a bamboo shoot, wtf is fennel anyway?

Glasses of wine are brought, instructions are relayed to me in Spanish and I hope for the best, my partner helping out a lot at this stage. Raise your hand, move your plate, a glass is coming! Lucky to have her or I wouldn't have a clue. Even setting the glass down becomes an endeavour. We settle for placing both glasses on one side of the table, leaving the other side open for contact.

Proprioception becomes apparent as you know exactly how your hands are shaped, where they are positioned, but nothing outward of yourself. A chair scrapes 30 feet away, a glass of wine falls to the floor next to us, that was destined for me. To the servers, this is all aspects of their life - you get an awareness of how hard it is for them, but mostly you get drunk.

For the wine colour taste test 3 glasses of wine are brought - one per two courses, we agree on the first. At the second, and I hoped this would happen, there was disagreement! I think one, she thinks another! We talk about why each of us thinks the way we do, she says she can nearly name the grape, she has a lot more experience in fine dining restaurants and with wine, I panic! Am I so sure of myself after all?! On the third wine we rosé again, agreeing. It makes me think that my second choice was wrong.

Once the dinner was complete we stood up and conga'd our way back out of the cavern. When I hit light my eyes exploded, and it took a little while to adjust. We were then shown pictures of what we ate which was very funny and finally all were gathered to guess about the wines. From the first wine reveal there were groans, already so many people had failed at the first hurdle, and these looked like people that drink wine for their living. The second one is the hardest we are told, it is chosen on purpose to confuse you. I am so smug when be brings the bottle up from behind the counter! A few hours of well earned jesting will ensue. On the third we get that one correct also, I'm not sure even one other person got them right and tbh, I was wavering with a lot of doubt. In general, over 90% of people get it wrong we are told. It's definitely more a paring and specific wine thing trying to trick you than anything. Headed off to our airbnb to play drunken Brazilian card games.

I ate a lot tasting menus in Barcelona, and other good meals - there was better food to be had but this was one of the most rewarding experiences I've ever had. A full body sensory experience as they had told us from the outset.

Obligatory picture:

Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 23-07-19 at 15:19.
Tar.Aldarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-19, 15:44   #1644
Rufio

Great Trip Report.

Probably says something about me, but the first thing I thought of was what happens when you need to go to the toilet....
Old 23-07-19, 16:34   #1645
DeadParrot
Just Resting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
Reaching out for contact, touching faces and so on. You certainly feel a lot more free to do whatever you want. If you are into exhibitionism, this dinner is for you.
Manuel in the corner putting the guts out of himself in his night vision goggles
DeadParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-19, 17:07   #1646
Denny Crane
Undefeated

THey probably have night vision cameras no? (I always presumed cinemas do too?, maybe Emmet knows.)

Denny Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-19, 20:22   #1647
Tar.Aldarion

Send a message via MSN to Tar.Aldarion Send a message via Skype™ to Tar.Aldarion
Sure look, I already knew it wouldn't stop me from becoming president
Old 23-07-19, 21:17   #1648
dobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lao Lao View Post
All the below worth a look IMO

Bastible
Uno Mas
One Pico
The Green House
Pearl Brasserie
Forest Avenue
Forest & Marcy
Thanks for this. Some fantastic looking restaurants that we will definitely try out but she caught me browsing this evening and when I told her what I was up to she mentioned she had tickets booked for some play in the gaiety in September so I booked Chapter One for the same evening.

Thanks again for the post, much appreciated.
dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 23-07-19, 22:04   #1649
Tar.Aldarion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufio View Post
Great Trip Report.

Probably says something about me, but the first thing I thought of was what happens when you need to go to the toilet....
A member of staff comes and brings you off somewhere, where I imagine you wreck the gaff. I should have went and tried the piss in the dark experience.
Old 25-07-19, 11:34   #1650
coillcam

Myself and the GF are entertaining her uncle and aunt on Monday in Dublin. GF and family are Brazilian so they're looking to get to an "Irish" cuisine experience. I'm thinking good beef, lamb, steak and seafood options. The Chop House was suggested to me already.

Any recommendations that would match this criteria?
coillcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-19, 13:28   #1651
Lao Lao

For an Irish feel to it, The Winding Stair springs to mind first as they very much promote the Irish angle. That said, the last time I was there (a few years ago), I thought the quality had dropped off but it may have improved since then, they seem to be generally busy.

For something very different, L Mulligan Grocer in Stoneybatter might be something to look at.
Thanks From:
Old 25-07-19, 13:44   #1652
Dice75
Bringing the Mac

If you're driving, Johhny Foxes?
Dice75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-19, 14:35   #1653
shrapnel
chevauche moi sur le côté, Kylian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice75 View Post
If you're driving, Johhny Foxes?
he said good food
shrapnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 25-07-19, 17:38   #1654
Dice75
Bringing the Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrapnel View Post
he said good food
No idea...think the restaurant is mostly seafood. Ticks the touristy box though.
Dice75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-19, 20:41   #1655
Lao Lao

Was in The Corkscrew at the weekend, exchanging some Champagne (that we had bought for the wedding and not used) for wine.

I've said before that the lads in there are second to none. If you are ever about town and want wine or even if you aren't around town, you should head in anyway.

Anyway, I was having a good browse as I wasn't sure what I wanted when I noticed this

Spoiler

It's one of the wines we had the Michelin restaurant in Mallorca, same vintage and all. Was surprised it was only €45 bottle so picked up a bottle.

They've also a good selection of Chateau Musar vintages in there at the minute.
Thanks From:
Old 30-08-19, 16:02   #1656
Frank Gibney

Send a message via AIM to Frank Gibney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
that butter is deranged but they have been doing it ever since they opened....why, I have no idea.
Butter cliffs?

"Frank Gibney, he's my favourite ." (careca, 2012)
"Frank Gibney, he's my favourite." (mikeb, 2017)
Frank Gibney is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 30-08-19, 18:34   #1657
Raoul Duke III
The King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Gibney View Post
Butter cliffs?
Cabbage butter Frank.

You couldn't make it up.
Old 30-08-19, 21:59   #1658
Raoul Duke III
The King

Prado in Clontarf is well worth a diversion (definitely better than the hyped-up Pigeon House next door), some very nifty Spanish cooking going on and the front of house staff are all positively evangelical.
Old 30-08-19, 22:27   #1659
zuutroy
Minor Local Celebrity

Didn't even know Moloughneys was gone.
Old 31-08-19, 19:38   #1660
rounders123

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuutroy View Post
Didn't even know Moloughneys was gone.
Yeah it got a bad name after Deadparrot and family took a visit and never recovered unfortunately.
rounders123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:

Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games