"I'll start tomorrow"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"I'll start tomorrow"

Thought I'd stick up a log, I've a fairly detailed account kept on my laptop as it is but putting it in the public domain can only serve to motivate me further I guess.

I started somewhat serious training on the 24th April, I was 5'9''(at a push) and just over 86kg.

I started with cardio, and a small bit of weights. Mainly 4 and 8k runs with some upper body work mixed in. It worked to an extent.

I bought a squat rack, to add to my bench, late May and set about it.

Right now, Im 76kg. So pretty average. In fact, somewhat below average.

Currently(the past 8 days), I've been rising at 6am most mornings and have split my training in 2. Mornings are bodyweight work, Hiit kinda stuff. While evenings after work are lifting heavy every second day. Every other day I'm out for a 6am run and the in the evenings have either rugby or soccer training. Games both Sat and Suns.

Effectively training every day and so far, I'm not feeling the effects of overtraining, long may it last.

Currently i.e. as of today: My lifts are as follows.
    6am:
    Super sets or Pull ups/Push ups/BodyWeight Squats. 3 sets.
    Failure on the first two and 50 squats.

8pm:
    Bench: 72kg. 3x8
    Standing Shoulder Press: 46.5kg 3x8
    Bent over Rows: 70kg 3x8
    Squat: 82kg 3x8
    Deadlift(didnt actually do it today as Im fond of walking): 86kg

My diet(always my let down):

6am:
    3 Rashers(then workout)
    2 Eggs.

11am:
    Coffee with some Milk

1pm:
    Breaded Chicken Breast with 500ml Supermilk.

4pm:
    Cup of Sultanas

7pm:
    2 Salmon Darnes, Tablespoon of wholegrain rice and small scoop of sweetcorn.
    (workout)

8:40pm:
    Scoop and a bit of ON Whey w/ water.
    This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

that is not much food for that amount of workin out, you must be starvin all the time cos thats alot of exercise . you need at least one day a week to chill out surely ?
    You got to have a lot of balls, to play golf the way I do!

Comment

Crash dieting is never a good idea and will result in you probably putting on the weight later. a good plan from a proper nutritionist is money well spent and i dont recommend that processed breaded chicken at all even though i lived on it in college.

Comment

Diet looks miniscule and boring tbh. Eat more imo.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58
          Eat more.
          Training everyday is silly.

Edit: actually just looked at it again. Tablespoon of rice. WTF
          What are you hoping to achieve here? Weight loss? Bulk up?
          We can't really know unless we have portions of all foods. Its obviously low carb, but we've no sizes for the rest, At a guess i'd say its a bit low on side, that is if this is what you eat everyday. Look to be 1800 cals max

Comment

Yeah it is about 2.2k cals, given portion sizes.

For PSV, Tablespoons are the "big spoons" you know. A table spoon of rice before its cooked is actually a fair bit.

That said, calorie wise, its pretty spot on for me and there absolutely nothing wrong with training every day. Its stood me in good stead so far so I think I'll stick with it until I feel overtraining kicking in or start picking up injuries.

I'll also have a bit more carbs before any major cardio workout too.
            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by TheJoker View Post
              Crash dieting is never a good idea and will result in you probably putting on the weight later. a good plan from a proper nutritionist is money well spent and i dont recommend that processed breaded chicken at all even though i lived on it in college.
              I'm defintely not crash dieting given I've been on about 2.5k cals for a while now, and this is around 2.2. I actually cant even see how you could come to that conclusion by just reading the first post.

Diet is fine. I agree about the chicken though. I usually have a chicken and pepper stir fry that I make at home but that was yesterdays diet.

Comment

If you're looking to get bigger you should be eating more, and drink the whey protein twice a day. Oh and lift more, 5 sets of each exercise. Maybe thats why you're not feeling the effects yet.

Of course its easier said than done so good luck with it

Comment

Originally posted by crow View Post
                  If you're looking to get bigger you should be eating more, and drink the whey protein twice a day. Oh and lift more, 5 sets of each exercise. Maybe thats why you're not feeling the effects yet.

Of course its easier said than done so good luck with it
                  Immnkt looking to get bigger, it'd be impossible to on a calorie deficit anyway! And 5 sets of each exercise? Really? I'm pretty sure 3 sets is optimal at 8 reps per set, perhaps 5 sets at 5 reps but it's all the same really! I'd push out an extra rep or too on most lifts so I'm doing the same absolute number of reps?

Out of curiosity can you link me to where you got the 5 sets thing?

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainPlanet View Post
                    Immnkt looking to get bigger, it'd be impossible to on a calorie deficit anyway! And 5 sets of each exercise? Really? I'm pretty sure 3 sets is optimal at 8 reps per set, perhaps 5 sets at 5 reps but it's all the same really! I'd push out an extra rep or too on most lifts so I'm doing the same absolute number of reps?

Out of curiosity can you link me to where you got the 5 sets thing?
                    No link, just what i was told in the gym i go to. I listened to them because they're successful body builders.

But you said you dont want to get bigger so i suppose the 3 sets is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by crow View Post
                      No link, just what i was told in the gym i go to. I listened to them because they're successful body builders.

But you said you dont want to get bigger so i suppose the 3 sets is fine.
                      Funnily enough, 3 sets of 8 reps is meant to be better for building size and 5x5 better for building strength!

I find 3x8 much more intense than 5x5 at a slightly heavier weight though so that's my reasoning! I'm sure both would have similar benefits at my level anyway!

Comment

3 sets is pretty much the norm. Gl with this...and i thought i trained hard!!

Comment

On this, can I just ask you to clarify:

You do as many pull ups as you can followed by as many pushups as you can followed by 50 squats.

The rinse and repeat twice...correct?

Comment

Originally posted by keane2097 View Post
                            On this, can I just ask you to clarify:

You do as many pull ups as you can followed by as many pushups as you can followed by 50 squats.

The rinse and repeat twice...correct?
                            Yeah exactly! The reason I don't go to failure on the squats is simply because I like being able to walk normally! You could go to failure on the squats too!

It's a nice quick workout for first thing in the morning and get your heart rate well up!!

Comment

Just gonna add some comments in here if you dont mind. Firstly, what are your goals?

Currently i.e. as of today: My lifts are as follows.
                              6am:

Are you finding much of a drop off on the 2nd and 3rd sets of the pull ups and push ups? I always find it easier to have a target amount of reps such as 3x8 because if I go to failure the rest of my sets suffer big time i.e. something like 15, 10, 5. I tend to make more progress with a targeted rep range. Oh and once you hit 3x12 i'd start adding weight on the pull ups but then again you're doing it as a kick start in the mornings so maybe that wouldn't be suitable.

8pm:
                              Bench: 72kg. 3x8
                              Standing Shoulder Press: 46.5kg 3x8
                              Bent over Rows: 70kg 3x8
                              Squat: 82kg 3x8
                              Deadlift(didnt actually do it today as Im fond of walking): 86kg

This looks pretty solid to me. You've got the big 3 and some assistance exercises. The only thing I would say is that as you start to make more progress the sheer volume will start to wear you down. I'd probably alternate between benching and pressing each workout and I'd also alternate between bent over rows and deadlifts. Squatting each workout is fine. Although I would stick in some front squats for variety now and again. Maybe throw in some good mornings every second workout. Lol suppose I've just described Starting Strength there. I'm a big fan of it.

My diet(always my let down):

6am:
                              3 Rashers(then workout)
                              2 Eggs.

Do you like porridge? I dont really but once I mix in a few scoops of protein it tastes a hell of a lot better. It's nice and easy to make in the mornings too.

11am:
                              Coffee with some Milk

Try and cut down on the 5 hours in between breakfast and mid-morning. something like a handful of almonds around 9am would be perfect imo.

1pm:
                              Breaded Chicken Breast with 500ml Supermilk.

4pm:
                              Cup of Sultanas

Some kind of protein source here would be nice. You dont wanna go six hours to dinner without any. A few more almonds or whatever.

7pm:
                              2 Salmon Darnes, Tablespoon of wholegrain rice and small scoop of sweetcorn.
                              (workout)

8:40pm:
                              Scoop and a bit of ON Whey w/ water.

What time to you go to bed at? If it's 2 or more hours after the last meal then I'd add another O/N shake w/500ml milk. The casein in the milk will slow down the release of the protein which will help fuel your body whilst you sleep
                              Also, as other posters have mentioned, training every day really isn't ideal. The fact you have soccer and rugby training on top of all this is nuts imo. Surely you don't need to do any extra cardio on top of your training sessions and games at the weekend.

I'd cut out the 6am workout altogether tbh as it seems unnecessary. I'd move the pull ups to the weight workout and do them every second workout. If i did 150 squats in the morning and then 3x8 on squats for my weight workout at night I wouldn't be able to walk the next day

Comment

Originally posted by Lurker23 View Post
                                Just gonna add some comments in here if you dont mind. Firstly, what are your goals?

Also, as other posters have mentioned, training every day really isn't ideal. The fact you have soccer and rugby training on top of all this is nuts imo. Surely you don't need to do any extra cardio on top of your training sessions and games at the weekend.

I'd cut out the 6am workout altogether tbh as it seems unnecessary. I'd move the pull ups to the weight workout and do them every second workout. If i did 150 squats in the morning and then 3x8 on squats for my weight workout at night I wouldn't be able to walk the next day
                                I want to get down to ~ 70kg before I start really bulking.

Great post and you seem to know what your talking about. I cant argue with any of it really. Bear in mind my initial post was my diet for THAT DAY. It does change from day to day, not by much but enough so that I dont get bored.

To anwer your questions though:

I find a big drop off in my 3rd set. My second is usually pretty close to my first, 1 or 2 reps off. The my 3rd generally falls to about 50-66% of my 1st. I think you're right though and generally I try beat the last days failure +1. Course this doesnt always happen. Failure is failure.

Secondly, yeah its pretty much a modified starting strength programme. I split it because of the extra cardio. It makes the workouts just as intense as they are quick but much shorter and so my overall energy levels dont seem to be affected as much. Could be a placebo effect of course but its working so far. Regarding the volume wearing me down, I'll hopefully feel it and adjust.

I do like Porridge but if I dont have the rashers/egg combo, Ill chuck 2 eggs, some oats, natural youghurt and a banana with some OJ into a blender and have that instead. I have to stress as people are getting very hung up on the diet, that the first post was only the diet for that day.

Usually have a small portion of brazil nuts. Just that day wasnt hungry and quite busy.

Would usually have popcorn in the evening. Agree with needing the protein source but the nuts are pretty heavy in calories per portion so sticking to the fibrous wonder of popcorn here has stood me well. Plus its a psychological break from the diet.

I see what your saying about the whey before bed, but if Im feeling hungry, Id usually just have some whole food. Some bacon strips w/cheese or some leftover dinner chicken/salmon etc.

Comment

So today went like:

7am:
                                  3 Rashers.
                                  4k run. Just over 19mins.
                                  2 eggs when I got home.

12:30pm or so:
                                  Chicken breast cooked last night and some left over sausages the oul lad didnt hoover this morning.

4pm:
                                  Rib Eye Steak w/friend peppers and onions.
                                  500ml Milk w/scoop of Whey

5pm:
                                  Pre Match Shake: Oats, Natural Youghurt, OJ and a banana.

6:30pm:
                                  Workout: 90 mins playing Centre Mid against a bunch of pikies. Made to run a lot.

8:45pm:
                                  300ml Milk w/ scoop of Whey.

Toying with the idea of another protein centric meal now but pretty tired so might just drift off. Up early for some more punishment.

Comment

I want to get down to ~ 70kg before I start really bulking.

Bear in mind my initial post was my diet for THAT DAY.
                                    Yeah, sorry meant to let you know I assumed that. My diet is pretty awful at the moment tbf and you're doing it the right way in that when you get to ~70kg you'll have a clean base to start from.

Ill chuck 2 eggs, some oats, natural youghurt and a banana with some OJ into a blender and have that instead.
                                    Lol sounds better and tastier than what I'm having myself. Will have to try that.

I see what your saying about the whey before bed, but if Im feeling hungry, Id usually just have some whole food. .
                                    That's a great habit to get into. I'm such a protein whore tbh which is compounded by the fact that my shake tastes like after eights!

Comment

ON Mint Choc Chip Whey?

Same.

Only unreal with a bit of SuperMilk.

Comment

There isn't much point having a shake to full you before bed. It's grand for people on a bulk, buts its sort of counter productive on a defecit. Whey+500ml of milk is going to be 400-500 calories, that could easily ruin a days deficit. also, IF you were going to have a night shake, casein would be better than whey.

and, I just bought a tub on ON mint myself, glad to know it tastes good. i'm just waiting to finish off my rocky road

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                          There isn't much point having a shake to full you before bed. It's grand for people on a bulk, buts its sort of counter productive on a defecit. Whey+500ml of milk is going to be 400-500 calories, that could easily ruin a days deficit. also, IF you were going to have a night shake, casein would be better than whey.

and, I just bought a tub on ON mint myself, glad to know it tastes good. i'm just waiting to finish off my rocky road
                                          Yup, totally agree now that I know he wants to lose another 6kg. Wasn't sure of his goals at the beginning. Agreed on the casein too. I just find it quite expensive to buy both casein and whey so I like to use milk with whey as a substitute at bedtime.

ON Mint Choc Chip Whey?
                                          Not quite but something very similar.

Whey protein powder is a staple supplement that supports your every goal, especially growth and maintenance of muscle mass. Shop over 40 flavours of whey.

All the ON products are pretty awesome though. Sorry for cluttering up your log btw. Best of luck with it.

Comment

Today (was poorish diet wise):

Stayed in Bed this morning. Match last night left me pretty tired.

7am:
                                            2 Poached Eggs, Slice of Brown Soda Bread.
                                            300ml Milk w/Whey

11am:
                                            Apple
                                            Coffee w/milk

12:30pm:
                                            Chicken and Vegetable Skewer.
                                            White Roll(ughgughgu)w Chicken Breast, lettuce and Cheese.

3:30pm:
                                            30g of Popcorn

7pm:
                                            Fried Chicken breast and 1/2 pepper with some salsa.

Workout 8:15pm:
                                            Bench: 72.5kg 2x8 1x7 (and 1x4 as a FU because I stalled on the final set)
                                            Shoulder Press: 47.5kg 3x8
                                            Bent Over Rows: 72kg 3x8
                                            Deadlift: 86.5kg 3x8
                                            Pull ups/Push ups: 3 by failure.

Left out the squatting as felt a little niggle in my groin from last night, didnt seem to feel that affect during the the deadlift so ploughed ahead with that.

I know adding 1kg per workout or so is quite small but I'd rather not stall. If I add any more I seem to come to stall pretty fast but this way I can keep increasing, no matter how little it seems. Any advice on this anyone?

I can feel myself stalling on a few lifts now too, Bench is becoming increasingly hard to increase workout on workout, so is the B.O.R's and Shoulder Press. I think Im going to drop the weight on both the BOR and SP next session as I can see my form slipping. I suppose I cant really expect much less on a calorie deficit but its somewhat disheartening.

Squat and Deadlift seem to be progressing still though.

Genuinely fucked after this workout. Considering upping my calorie intake if I feel this way after the next two workouts, I think its just because of the match last night though. We'll see.

Comment

Today (was poorish diet wise):

Stayed in Bed this morning. Match last night left me pretty tired.

7am:
                                              2 Poached Eggs, Slice of Brown Soda Bread.
                                              300ml Milk w/Whey

11am:
                                              Apple
                                              Coffee w/milk

12:30pm:
                                              Chicken and Vegetable Skewer.
                                              White Roll(ughgughgu)w Chicken Breast, lettuce and Cheese.

3:30pm:
                                              30g of Popcorn

7pm:
                                              Fried Chicken breast and 1/2 pepper with some salsa.

Workout 8:15pm:
                                              Bench: 72.5kg 2x8 1x7 (and 1x4 as a FU because I stalled on the final set)
                                              Shoulder Press: 47.5kg 3x8
                                              Bent Over Rows: 72kg 3x8
                                              Deadlift: 86.5kg 3x8
                                              Pull ups/Push ups: 3 by failure.

Left out the squatting as felt a little niggle in my groin from last night, didnt seem to feel that affect during the the deadlift so ploughed ahead with that.

I know adding 1kg per workout or so is quite small but I'd rather not stall. If I add any more I seem to come to stall pretty fast but this way I can keep increasing, no matter how little it seems. Any advice on this anyone?

I can feel myself stalling on a few lifts now too, Bench is becoming increasingly hard to increase workout on workout, so is the B.O.R's and Shoulder Press. I think Im going to drop the weight on both the BOR and SP next session as I can see my form slipping. I suppose I cant really expect much less on a calorie deficit but its somewhat disheartening.

Squat and Deadlift seem to be progressing still though.

Genuinely fucked after this workout. Considering upping my calorie intake if I feel this way after the next two workouts, I think its just because of the match last night though. We'll see.
                                              On this do you know roughly how many cals you are burning a day? I was working to something similiar to yourself 1700-1800 intake a day. I have now upped my calorie intake between 2500 -3000 as i mormally burn in excess of 1000 cals a day which still leaves me with a decent daily deficit. More importantly i feel stonger when excercising when the body is fully fuelled, it's a horrible feeling when having a lethargic workout.

Comment

Originally posted by jackyback View Post
                                                On this do you know roughly how many cals you are burning a day? I was working to something similiar to yourself 1700-1800 intake a day. I have now upped my calorie intake between 2500 -3000 as i mormally burn in excess of 1000 cals a day which still leaves me with a decent daily deficit. More importantly i feel stonger when excercising when the body is fully fuelled, it's a horrible feeling when having a lethargic workout.
                                                I wouldnt have a clue. I wouldnt really even know how/where to find out. I wish I could be more specific about it and actually calculate it because that would ensure results, but realistically with portion sizes/variety of foods its pretty impractical.

I think a trial/error method is best. Your spot on about the feeling stronger when fully fuelled, I try to generally have my biggest meal and hour or so before my training to help with this.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                  IF you were going to have a night shake, casein would be better than whey.
                                                  Could you explain this please?

Comment

Could you explain this please?
                                                    Since Im online Ill answer for you.

Protein comes in two distinct types. Casein and Whey.

Casein is a slower releasing, slower working one. Ideal for before bed, or for at the start of a day where your unlikely to get much protein for a while.

Whey is the opposite, acts fast and directly. Ideal for post workouts.

I think thats the jist of it anyway.

Comment

Yeah thats essentially it. Casein releases much slower. I don't its really important to include it on a defecit diet, but if you start a bulk phase a casein and milk shake before bed is a good idea

Comment

Feeling a slight recurrence of a long standing knee injury and have a game tomorrow so took today off from any hard training to see if I can be fit enough to play the match.

Still did a fairly solid metcon this morning:

Pull ups (f)/Push ups(f)/shoulder press(20kg 25) and B.O.R (20kg 25). x3

Diet was pretty meh again, its still fairly decent but lunch time in work is killing me.

7am:
                                                        3 Rashers
                                                        2Eggs

400ml Milk w/Whey

11am:
                                                        Apple

1:30pm:
                                                        Deli Hot Chicken Roll, lettuce and cheese.

4:30pm:
                                                        Kinder Bueno(pyschological boost, twas lovely too)
                                                        30g Popcorn

7:00pm:
                                                        2 Salmon Fillets w/ 1/2 pepper and some red onion.

No training tonight, as mentioned previously, want to see if knee is ok in the morning. I need to get through this game and can then think of recovery but need to play.

Might have a whey shake before bed. Will see how I feel.

Comment

Pull ups (f)/Push ups(f)/shoulder press(20kg 25) and B.O.R (20kg 25). x3
                                                          B.O.R?

Diet was pretty meh again, its still fairly decent but lunch time in work is killing me.
                                                          Could you not just bring a sandwich? A hot chicken roll is enormously calorific and I would bet totally wiped out your calorie deficit for the day.

Comment

B.O.R?

Could you not just bring a sandwich? A hot chicken roll is enormously calorific and I would bet totally wiped out your calorie deficit for the day.
                                                            Bent Over Rows.

I doubt it (on a normal day) but your point does have some merit for sure. Out of curiousity, what do you reckon the roll would be calorie wise?

Comment

Hi Im wondering How much Calories would be usually is a chicken fillet roll? I usually get either a plain or spicy chicken fillet and the roll.

Comment

General consenus is 750. Actually not as bad as though. You are dead right though, I could def change this, even a wrap with unheated unbreaded chicken and same fillings would be much less.

Comment

So, been out of training because of a recurring knee injury. Had to play that game and delighted to say we won 2-1 BUT knee took a whopping in the process. Diet has been decentish though, changed my lunch time choice thanks to Keane.

Back on the wagon today. Will update later.

Comment

Woeful updating imo.

Changed tack though, for the past 15 days I've been following a strict Keto diet, 1900 calories a day. I'm usually not a programme changer so early into a new one but myself and one of the lads said we'd give this a go.

Results so far have been phenomenal. I've dropped 3kg with no apparent loss in strength. 1kg which I suspect is water weight as it fluctuates a lot.

I get weaker as the weak progresses though, on my carb day I can lift just as heavy as before, sometimes a bit heavier, and then monday is ok, tuesday is worse and Friday is woeful. I havent been doing as much cardio as Id hoped but Ill change that.

I dont expect to update this daily as I had planned but I'll get around to it as much as I can. Eating so little calories on such a fat heavy is pretty comical. I can eat some tasty food, just not enough of it.

Comment

Woeful updating imo.

Changed tack though, for the past 15 days I've been following a strict Keto diet, 1900 calories a day. I'm usually not a programme changer so early into a new one but myself and one of the lads said we'd give this a go.

Results so far have been phenomenal. I've dropped 3kg with no apparent loss in strength. 1kg which I suspect is water weight as it fluctuates a lot.

I get weaker as the weak progresses though, on my carb day I can lift just as heavy as before, sometimes a bit heavier, and then monday is ok, tuesday is worse and Friday is woeful. I havent been doing as much cardio as Id hoped but Ill change that.

I dont expect to update this daily as I had planned but I'll get around to it as much as I can. Eating so little calories on such a fat heavy is pretty comical. I can eat some tasty food, just not enough of it.
                                                                      Cliff notes on keto diet?

Comment

eggs, sausages, rashers, steaks, burgers, cheese.

Carbs below 20g, fat about 55/60% of your calories for the day. Protein the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by emmet02 View Post
                                                                          eggs, sausages, rashers, steaks, burgers, cheese.

Carbs below 20g, fat about 55/60% of your calories for the day. Protein the rest.
                                                                          And that works?

Comment

I have the Lyle Mc Donald books if anyone wants more info on Keto

Comment

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by TomD View Post
                                                                              Worth getting?

You've used the diet too?

Comment

#40
                                                                                Lots of fat, Lots or Protein, Zero carbs, for 6 days a week. Then 1 day (NOT a cheat day) where you eat lots of carbs, lots or protein but low fat. So, keto days your macro diet in grams should be 65% fat, 30% protein and 5% carbs.

Essentially, your "training" your body to become proficient at running on fat so itll burn your body fat better.

I still train with heavy weights 3x a week, and am planning to up my cardio to rest days as I feel it really doesnt affect my recovery at all.

If you google "Keto Diet" and look at any of the bodybuilding forums, there is a massive massive amount of info. Also, EileenG on the other place has been invaluable to me, helping me sort the diet, portions and food options.

I test my whizz daily too just to make sure Im always in Ketosis.

Its actually not hard to follow, the food you can eat is unreal. Loads of Fish, Steak, Eggs, Bacon, Burgers, Cheese, Mayo. Just gotta watch for overall calorific consumption.

Comment

#41
                                                                                  Im still kinda tweaking it here and there and somethings Im not sure of. Are you following it at all? How you finding it?

Comment

#42
                                                                                    Worth getting?

You've used the diet too?
                                                                                    I use TKD (targetted keto diet) in the run up to competitions (BJJ). I'm also still using it as part of a body recomposition thing i'm working on ie to lose lean body mass i will generally lose 5kg doing this then gain 4kg by eating and heavy lifting then repeat repeat repeat. I've added it to the unmentionable place. Alot of people thinks Aitkins and other low carb diets are keto diets, they are wrong. There are three main types of keto diets:

- Standard ~ low in carbohydrate, and moderate-high in both protein and fat.
                                                                                    -Cyclical ~ alternate 5-6 days of ketogenic dieting with 1-2 days
                                                                                    of high carbohydrate eating
                                                                                    -Targetted ~ standard keto diet with carbohydrates consumed at specific
                                                                                    times around exercise

Comment

#43
                                                                                      Im still kinda tweaking it here and there and somethings Im not sure of. Are you following it at all? How you finding it?
                                                                                      Its very hard to get used to especially eating lots of fats. Once you get used to the energy levels its do-able to add excercise like HIIT or lifting but not both.

Comment

#44
                                                                                        EileenG on the other place has been invaluable to me, helping me sort the diet, portions and food options.
                                                                                        Eileen has a tonne of info and is a great help. I'm still amazed that she does this diet non stop.

Comment

#45
                                                                                          Its very hard to get used to especially eating lots of fats. Once you get used to the energy levels its do-able to add excercise like HIIT or lifting but not both.
                                                                                          Yeah, funny taste in my mouth for the first few days. Its fine now though, seem to be adjusting and starting to lift as heavy as ever early in the week after my carb day. Get so much weaker as the weak wears on though.

I've also noticed, when Im lifting and coming out of a rep I used to be able to control the weight a lot better. On this diet, from tue onwards, the bar seems to zip towards me. For example, if Im military pressing, lifting it up is not bother but once I start coming down, the bar comes down a lot faster and less controlled than usual, and its something Ive tried to consciously stop but can't.

Comment

#46
                                                                                            Just seen the update now. Fair play for sticking to the diet. It's not easy.

+1 for Lyle McDonald.

Comment

#47
                                                                                              Right decided to get this back going, have pretty much every workout since I started SS recorded in detail on the lappy but I guess its better to stick it up too and get some feedback from the regs. I think we have a very solid base of posters on this POKER forum with a great knowledge in Nutrition and Fitness so it makes sense.

As mentioned doing Starting Strength and finding it successful. Looking back at my last update Im lolling at bit because there is no way I was Benching 72kg 3x8 back then. I must have misjudged the weight of the bar or my mars bar fingers tapped 7 instead of 5.

Regardless heres my current stats in 3x5 form (havent tested myself on 1RM at all):

BW: 84Kg
                                                                                              Bench: 80kg 3x5
                                                                                              Squat: 120kq 3x5
                                                                                              Deadlift: 132.5Kg 3x5
                                                                                              Shoulder Press: 55kg 3x5
                                                                                              Bent Over Row 60kg 3x5

Can bang out Dips and Pull ups pretty hand (15) but Chins usually something like 8,7,5.

My diet is decent. I'm enjoying this getting bigger thing. Literally shovelling food into me. Circa 3k cals a day more if Im feeling a lack of recovery. Its a little harder given I've to watch my recovery around Soccer Training (mostly HIIT) and Soccer Matches. Ive found creatine very good for recovery when Im training 6 days a week effectively.

Im actually the same weight I was before I initially started not being a fat fuck at the minute although waist size and clothes from those days are vastly different. The picture on my Passport/Driving license gets brought up most times we're boozing lol at FatSteve etc.

Plan for next while is 2 weeks left of SS. Have been on it for 5 weeks now but doing 7 as needed a week off squatting with a slight ankle injury. Once Im finished that I'm going to spend 10 days maintaining weight and then go on a slow 10 week cut until I get down to about 80kg. Not sure of my bodyfat % so I cant use that as a paramater. Will get it tested once Im finished SS though cos I dont really care now.

2 weeks left and hoping to get my Squat to 130. DL to 150 and Bench to BW. Id be happy with that and I think its borderline doable.

I *promise* to update here more often.
                                                                                              Last edited by Theresa; 01-06-11, 06:23.

Comment

#48
                                                                                                Last night workout was pretty good. Feeling a bit tired after soccer training so didnt increase the weight on Squats/Shoulder press.

Warm up: 10 min jog.

Squats:
                                                                                                BWx20
                                                                                                Barx20
                                                                                                40x8
                                                                                                60x8
                                                                                                80x5
                                                                                                100x5
                                                                                                110x5
                                                                                                120 (3x5

120 was very solid. Unsure of depth on last set, particularly reps 3 and 4.

Shoulder press:

Bar x10
                                                                                                20x5
                                                                                                40x5
                                                                                                50x5
                                                                                                55 2x5
                                                                                                55 1x3 Did 3 extra here as felt my form slipping and last rep of the 2nd 5 I thrusted it up.

Bent over Rows:

Bar x10
                                                                                                20x8
                                                                                                30x8
                                                                                                40x5
                                                                                                50x5
                                                                                                65 3x5

Assistance Exercises:

Chin ups: 8,7, 5, 3
                                                                                                Pull ups 8 8 8

Some core work, plank 3 x75 seconds, Knee raises 3x10.

That was it. Wasnt a particularly intense workout, took just over an hour.

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  surely bar = 20kg no?

For shoulder press and rows? Or are you adding the weight separately?

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                    surely bar = 20kg no?

For shoulder press and rows? Or are you adding the weight separately?
                                                                                                    No, used a smaller bar yesterday for the Rows + Shoulder press as some knobhead was using the Oly bar for some ridiculous ab-rollout exercise. Its 10kg, like a mini oly bar, skinnier and much shorter.

Comment

#51
                                                                                                      lol at your man doing ab roll-outs with the only oly bar
                                                                                                      Two of the strangest things i've seen in my gym relate to bizarre use of bars

Guy goes to do some benching, in pretty good shape, he removes the good oly bar (black power bar, best of about 5 in the gym), replaces it with a light bar with plastic sleaves, c.10kg. There were other oly bars free, but he went out of his way to get a plastic one. Starts working up the weights, addign a small plate every time, doing side crunches with his top pulled up between sets. Works up to bar plus 20kg,10kg,5kg,2.5kg,1.25kg x 2 (at this point he is doing half reps) There's no reason to use a light bar with that much weight (mini plates are fine, but why the 10kg bar), so he is either a bit weird and likes have lots of little plates, or isn't aware that its lighter and thinks its his lucky bar and he is stronger.
                                                                                                      I've seen him do this a few times, too

Another guy, goes to the rack to do some curls. Obviously bicep curls in the rack and annoying, buit this guy took it a step too far.
                                                                                                      He removed the oly bar put it against the wall, and brought over an eazi-curl oly bar. This is about 4ft long so it didn't even fit on to the hooks in the rack. To make it worse, the pins were out so it had to set it down on the bottom of the rack between sets (4 inches from the floor).
                                                                                                      so basically, he was just standing in the rack, and not using it.

TL;DR People in the gym are retard when it comes to equipment

Comment

#52
                                                                                                        Worst thing is , even if you wanted to help them they'd treat you like some interfering know it all. Meh.

Comment

#53
                                                                                                          Yeah, I ignore them. Clearly awkward fuckers are it's not worth it.

Comment

#54
                                                                                                            Felt pretty ropey in the stomach Friday so didnt do a session, did it Saturday instead.

Lost weight this week (not the idea) but managed to get one set of 125 on the squat out, then dropped it to 110 for remaining sets as didnt feel strong.

Bench didnt improve either, still at 80. Cant expect to be gaining every week I suppose.

Deadlift was 120. Same reasons as squat.

So:

Squat:

Barx20
                                                                                                            40x5
                                                                                                            60x5
                                                                                                            80x5
                                                                                                            100x5
                                                                                                            110x5
                                                                                                            125x5
                                                                                                            110x5
                                                                                                            110x5

Bench:
                                                                                                            Barx10
                                                                                                            40x5
                                                                                                            50x5
                                                                                                            60x5
                                                                                                            70x5
                                                                                                            80x5 x3

Deadlift
                                                                                                            60x5
                                                                                                            80x5
                                                                                                            100x5
                                                                                                            120x5

Dips 3x8
                                                                                                            Pull ups 3x8

Pretty sure I need to eat more but was pretty disorganised with nutrition last week and I guess thats what happens.

Comment

#55
                                                                                                              Quick session yesterday as Gym was very busy. Was tired from my match on Sunday and was in the gym Sat too so dropped some weight and worked on form.

Squat:

BWx20
                                                                                                              Barx20
                                                                                                              40x5
                                                                                                              60x5
                                                                                                              80x5
                                                                                                              100x5
                                                                                                              110x5
                                                                                                              112.5 3x5

Shoulder Press:
                                                                                                              Barx10
                                                                                                              20x5
                                                                                                              30x5
                                                                                                              40x5
                                                                                                              50x5
                                                                                                              52.5x5
                                                                                                              57.5 x5
                                                                                                              55 2x5

Bent over Rows: (actually increased the weight on this as felt easy)
                                                                                                              Barx10
                                                                                                              20x5
                                                                                                              40x5
                                                                                                              60x5
                                                                                                              65x5
                                                                                                              67.5 3x5

Chin ups 3x8
                                                                                                              Pull ups 3x8

Comment

#56
                                                                                                                You're doing way too much volume in your warm ups. It's probably affecting your recovery and it'll definitely hinder your strength gains as you progress.

Let's look at one of your squat sessions:

Squats:
                                                                                                                BWx20
                                                                                                                Barx20
                                                                                                                40x8
                                                                                                                60x8
                                                                                                                80x5
                                                                                                                100x5
                                                                                                                110x5
                                                                                                                120 3x5

I don't mind the 20 x bar warm ups if you really want to as your not doing mobility work to warm up. I think the weight jumps are fine too. The volume will kill you though as you progress. Your falling into the trap of doing too much. All of the sets before the 120 work sets should be seen as just warmups. Pure and simple. It's all about getting the technique down / in the zone without affecting your 3x5 sets. There's no doubt by doing 100x5 and 110x5 you're using strength you should be saving for the work sets.

I'd go with something like:

Bar x 5,5
                                                                                                                40x5
                                                                                                                60x4
                                                                                                                80x3
                                                                                                                100x2
                                                                                                                110x1
                                                                                                                120 3x5

+ 10 mins of mobility drills as a warmup instead of a jog. The jog will not help you at all in terms of getting you ready for your lifts but I'm sure you know this already.

Volume your way = 4850kg

Volume my way = 2990kg

That's almost a 40% reduction in volume which will make a big difference.

Just a suggestion anyhow. If you enjoy doing the volume, then by all means keep going but if you're training for strength it will make it more difficult for you to add weight to the bar consistently.

Comment

#57
                                                                                                                  I dont really have a warm up routine to be honest. Its a case of arrive at the gym and if the power rack is free I take it because it'll be taken if I dont. So I'm trying to incorporate the warm up into the squat rack?

You're way seems far superior btw. Will go with it.

Might just do some BW exercises in a circuit as a warm up. Chins, Press ups, Squats etc.Thoughts?

Comment

#58
                                                                                                                    Chins and press ups are a bit too intense as a warm up imo. The point is to target the body parts that you'll be using in the session without stressing them too much. Something like one of the IP warm ups would be infinitely better than jogging.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss09vqzHkwQ[/ame]

Doesn't take too long. Do it twice if needs be.

I've a huge list of dynamic mob drills in my log that I use if you wan't any more.

A squat variation is good as a warm up. I'd go for this kind of thing

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkO3M9SDcKE[/ame]

or assisted single leg squats to get the glutes firing.

Trust me when I say I'd consider these mobs as a necessity. Your body will thank me when you're still lifting in a few years. I actually wouldn't do my lifts if I didn't have the time to warm up properly but maybe that's because I'm always broken

Comment

#59
                                                                                                                      Originally posted by Lurker23 View Post
                                                                                                                      I'd go with something like:

Bar x 5,5
                                                                                                                      40x5
                                                                                                                      60x4
                                                                                                                      80x3
                                                                                                                      100x2
                                                                                                                      110x1
                                                                                                                      120 3x5

+ 10 mins of mobility drills as a warmup instead of a jog. The jog will not help you at all in terms of getting you ready for your lifts but I'm sure you know this already.
                                                                                                                      Yeah, +1 for that style of warm-up sets.
                                                                                                                      If you lok at my log i was going similar high volume stuff previously. I think lurker called me a volume whore once or twice. That was mainly I was working toward weight cuttign down so felt higher volume was better for energy use.
                                                                                                                      But once I switched to a 5x5 type for strength i had to change over to a 5 tp 2 rep pryamid like above.
                                                                                                                      It mgih feel like you are cheating by doing less, but as soon as you started hitting 5 rep sets easier, and then heavier, you'll know its better.

Two of my favourite dynamic warm-ups are prisoner squats and shoulder dislocates. I try and do thes before all lifts. shoulder dislocates, even though they are shoulder joint only, really help the squat. Just have the back/arm/bar position much more solid.
                                                                                                                      Last edited by Mellor; 08-06-11, 01:07.

Comment

#60
                                                                                                                        Yesterday was a sticky one. Didnt enjoy it at all and felt sluggish.

Squats:
                                                                                                                        BWx20 and some stretching/dynamic warm ups.
                                                                                                                        Barx10
                                                                                                                        40kg x5
                                                                                                                        60kgx4
                                                                                                                        80kgx3
                                                                                                                        100kgx2
                                                                                                                        110x1
                                                                                                                        115kg 3x5 Form on this was near perfect, just below parallell and very solid coming out. Happy with it, know I can lift 125 or so with form problems but rather do it this way.

Bench:
                                                                                                                        Bar x10
                                                                                                                        20kg x5
                                                                                                                        30kg x4
                                                                                                                        40kg x3
                                                                                                                        55kg x2
                                                                                                                        70kg x1
                                                                                                                        82.5kg 3x4 (could never get out the last rep, sticking point about half way up so got spotter to just give me a push but not going to include those reps)

Deadlift:
                                                                                                                        60kg x5
                                                                                                                        80kg x4
                                                                                                                        100kg x3
                                                                                                                        120kg x2
                                                                                                                        135 kg x5

A lot less volume, following Lurkers post, and managed to get a PB on DL and Bench(albeit one helped rep in each set).

Dips 1x12, 2x10.
                                                                                                                        Curls (EZ bar) 32.5kg 3x12 (Some Gunnnnnnz work as I was waiting around for a mate)

Feel weak, getting stronger but feel weak. Strange. I think it might be to do with I've been doing SS coming up to 8 weeks now and it might be time to chage it up. Been 6 weeks of eating like a pig too and have put on some weight so I think I might take 8 weeks of cutting it down slowly now, the extra weight is also affecting my soccer so it'll be good to be getting back to some level of cardio fitness.

Last SS workout on friday so will post up end of cycle results on saturday.

Anyone have any suggestions as to where to go from here?
                                                                                                                        Last edited by Theresa; 09-06-11, 00:28.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X