uNL and Beyond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

uNL and Beyond

Hey everyone I am new here and I've been writing a blog at PSO.

This place was recommended to me by a friend so here I am

I'll not post all of my recent entries here but if you were curious then you can find them here.

Since starting my blog back in late September I have moved up to 5NL. My bankroll currently stands at $163.33.

Here is my graph so far

So basically I'll be writing regular updates of my journey through poker.

Maybe I'll make it to the big leagues one day.

Take it easy and crush those tables

Pt

Welcome to the site.

Comment

Originally posted by A_CitizenErased View Post
      Welcome to the site.
      Thanks man

Comment

Nice graph, good luck with it.

What's the plan for moving up to 10NL? Take a shot when you hit $200?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
          Nice graph, good luck with it.

What's the plan for moving up to 10NL? Take a shot when you hit $200?
          Yep pretty much.

I'll take a 4 buy in shot at 10NL and go from there.

Here's hoping I run good

Comment

Well J, Caf here. Best of luck with this! I'll give ya's a bell next time I'm home. GL.
            It's all an illusion

Comment

Originally posted by 72over View Post
              Well J, Caf here. Best of luck with this! I'll give ya's a bell next time I'm home. GL.
              Cheers mate.

Catch ya in a while.

BO!

Comment

Best of luck with this
                nice graph is that 51k hands since september and if not how long did it take
                how many tables are you playing at a time ?

Comment

Originally posted by Loopz View Post
                  Best of luck with this
                  nice graph is that 51k hands since september and if not how long did it take
                  how many tables are you playing at a time ?
                  Thanks for the well wishes

Yeah that's 51k since 29th of Sept.

4 tabling but gonna work on 6 tabling in the next month.

6 max + action = tonnes of hands + fun times

Comment

How many hours a day you reckon you spend?

Comment

157.06 hours to be precise

Comment

Nice graph good luck with it i'll be following
                        airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                          How many hours a day you reckon you spend?
                          I try and get in at least 2 hours a day but if my lady is having to work late when she gets back (which is often the case) then I'll squeeze in a few more.

Comment

So I haven't played in a few days. It's been my 30th buffday and I've been partying, travelling and recovering. Apparently playing while my friends are here is "antisocial" or something?
                            I head back to de oirland on Wednesday and plan to smash out a tonne of volume.

I tried posting this in another forum but they were uber strict and it got censored but the content of this I feel is golden drops of mana heaven. It just helped me think about the game differently and helped soften the mental blow of tilt that is so hard to escape sometimes.

Here is the post that was never published on my blog.

Found this and it sums up poker players beautifully. Substitute "hacker" for "poker player" and Boom!!! Same same but different. ENJOY

Copyright © 2001 Eric S. Raymond

"1. The world is full of fascinating problems waiting to be solved.
                            Being a hacker is lots of fun, but it's a kind of fun that takes lots of effort. The effort takes motivation. Successful athletes get their motivation from a kind of physical delight in making their bodies perform, in pushing themselves past their own physical limits. Similarly, to be a hacker you have to get a basic thrill from solving problems, sharpening your skills, and exercising your intelligence.
                            If you aren't the kind of person that feels this way naturally, you'll need to become one in order to make it as a hacker. Otherwise you'll find your hacking energy is sapped by distractions like sex, money, and social approval.
                            (You also have to develop a kind of faith in your own learning capacity — a belief that even though you may not know all of what you need to solve a problem, if you tackle just a piece of it and learn from that, you'll learn enough to solve the next piece — and so on, until you're done.)
                            2. No problem should ever have to be solved twice.
                            Creative brains are a valuable, limited resource. They shouldn't be wasted on re-inventing the wheel when there are so many fascinating new problems waiting out there.
                            To behave like a hacker, you have to believe that the thinking time of other hackers is precious — so much so that it's almost a moral duty for you to share information, solve problems and then give the solutions away just so other hackers can solve new problems instead of having to perpetually re-address old ones.
                            Note, however, that "No problem should ever have to be solved twice." does not imply that you have to consider all existing solutions sacred, or that there is only one right solution to any given problem. Often, we learn a lot about the problem that we didn't know before by studying the first cut at a solution. It's OK, and often necessary, to decide that we can do better. What's not OK is artificial technical, legal, or institutional barriers (like closed-source code) that prevent a good solution from being re-used and force people to re-invent wheels.
                            (You don't have to believe that you're obligated to give all your creative product away, though the hackers that do are the ones that get most respect from other hackers. It's consistent with hacker values to sell enough of it to keep you in food and rent and computers. It's fine to use your hacking skills to support a family or even get rich, as long as you don't forget your loyalty to your art and your fellow hackers while doing it.)
                            3. Boredom and drudgery are evil.
                            Hackers (and creative people in general) should never be bored or have to drudge at stupid repetitive work, because when this happens it means they aren't doing what only they can do — solve new problems. This wastefulness hurts everybody. Therefore boredom and drudgery are not just unpleasant but actually evil.
                            To behave like a hacker, you have to believe this enough to want to automate away the boring bits as much as possible, not just for yourself but for everybody else (especially other hackers).
                            (There is one apparent exception to this. Hackers will sometimes do things that may seem repetitive or boring to an observer as a mind-clearing exercise, or in order to acquire a skill or have some particular kind of experience you can't have otherwise. But this is by choice — nobody who can think should ever be forced into a situation that bores them.)
                            4. Freedom is good.
                            Hackers are naturally anti-authoritarian. Anyone who can give you orders can stop you from solving whatever problem you're being fascinated by — and, given the way authoritarian minds work, will generally find some appallingly stupid reason to do so. So the authoritarian attitude has to be fought wherever you find it, lest it smother you and other hackers.
                            (This isn't the same as fighting all authority. Children need to be guided and criminals restrained. A hacker may agree to accept some kinds of authority in order to get something he wants more than the time he spends following orders. But that's a limited, conscious bargain; the kind of personal surrender authoritarians want is not on offer.)
                            Authoritarians thrive on censorship and secrecy. And they distrust voluntary cooperation and information-sharing — they only like ‘cooperation’ that they control. So to behave like a hacker, you have to develop an instinctive hostility to censorship, secrecy, and the use of force or deception to compel responsible adults. And you have to be willing to act on that belief.
                            5. Attitude is no substitute for competence.
                            To be a hacker, you have to develop some of these attitudes. But copping an attitude alone won't make you a hacker, any more than it will make you a champion athlete or a rock star. Becoming a hacker will take intelligence, practice, dedication, and hard work.
                            Therefore, you have to learn to distrust attitude and respect competence of every kind. Hackers won't let posers waste their time, but they worship competence — especially competence at hacking, but competence at anything is valued. Competence at demanding skills that few can master is especially good, and competence at demanding skills that involve mental acuteness, craft, and concentration is best.
                            If you revere competence, you'll enjoy developing it in yourself — the hard work and dedication will become a kind of intense play rather than drudgery. That attitude is vital to becoming a hacker."

Solid Gold!!!

Comment

Still swinging in the UK. Back Wednesday but I'm always reading up and hunting for stuff that'll help me improve.

Found this on 2+2 and it's quality. It's a post about systematic training drills for NLHE and I'll definitely be setting aside a portion of my poker time for this.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/10...-nlhe-1107105/

We all have it in us to be awesome. We just have to break our balls first and lap up the balla building goodness

I hope you enjoy the read

Comment

November round up. December has started Stone Cold Steve Austin!

Word up!

In this post there will be:

Excuses
                                Round up's - avec graph
                                Goals
                                A refrigerated Stone Cold Steve Austin (that's mighty cold)
                                A shameless plug link to my forum post - it has good stuff for everyone so do have a read

No posts for a while for 2 reasons:

1 - It was my 30th birthday which was marked by a huge surprise party with all my friends from England making the journey to good old rainy Ireland for a knees up, hoe down, hootenanny, and a mate being locked in the bathroom. Cut a long story short, we had to drill him out - epic.

2 - Hospital health stuff and huge news have got in the way of thinking about anything nearing normal.

Those are the excuses

Round up of November

Hands played:

5NL - 12973
                                bb/100 - 9.13
                                profit/loss - +$59.20

2NL - 8791
                                bb/100 - 16.79
                                profit/loss - +$29.52

Total profit - $88.72

Graph Ho!

The dip towards the end marks the start of what wil hopefully be a warmer winter. In short I got coolered left right and centre for ~2500 hands.

AA all in 3 way preflop vs KK and KQ for a $14 pot. KQ flops open ender that completes on the river - cold

89o in the BB blind, 2 limpers, flop comes Jd10sQd I lead out for value from draws, 2 pair, sets etc. SB obliges and all the money goes in on the flop for a $12 pot. The guy tables K-9 - snowman scumbag

Classic AdKd into AA two diamonds on the flop but nay, it was not to be - ice cubed tears

Oversetted 88 vs AA on A89 board - icicles of pain

Top set versus made flush that didn't fill up - Stone Cold Steve Austin

And many more. Despite this I am only 2 buy ins down this month so it's not so bad - body warmer of comfort.

Goals for this month are:

1: At least 20k volume
                                2: Move up to 10NL and run hotter than the sun
                                3: Start more poker drilling excercises to work on my hand reading, equity estimations etc

This has been rather a long post. My apologies

Good luck at the table,

Word!

Pt

Comment

Originally posted by pteridophyta View Post
                                  So I haven't played in a few days. It's been my 30th buffday and I've been partying, travelling and recovering. Apparently playing while my friends are here is "antisocial" or something?
                                  I head back to de oirland on Wednesday and plan to smash out a tonne of volume.

I tried posting this in another forum but they were uber strict and it got censored but the content of this I feel is golden drops of mana heaven. It just helped me think about the game differently and helped soften the mental blow of tilt that is so hard to escape sometimes.

Here is the post that was never published on my blog.

Found this and it sums up poker players beautifully. Substitute "hacker" for "poker player" and Boom!!! Same same but different. ENJOY

Copyright © 2001 Eric S. Raymond

"1. The world is full of fascinating problems waiting to be solved.
                                  Being a hacker is lots of fun, but it's a kind of fun that takes lots of effort. The effort takes motivation. Successful athletes get their motivation from a kind of physical delight in making their bodies perform, in pushing themselves past their own physical limits. Similarly, to be a hacker you have to get a basic thrill from solving problems, sharpening your skills, and exercising your intelligence.
                                  If you aren't the kind of person that feels this way naturally, you'll need to become one in order to make it as a hacker. Otherwise you'll find your hacking energy is sapped by distractions like sex, money, and social approval.
                                  (You also have to develop a kind of faith in your own learning capacity — a belief that even though you may not know all of what you need to solve a problem, if you tackle just a piece of it and learn from that, you'll learn enough to solve the next piece — and so on, until you're done.)
                                  2. No problem should ever have to be solved twice.
                                  Creative brains are a valuable, limited resource. They shouldn't be wasted on re-inventing the wheel when there are so many fascinating new problems waiting out there.
                                  To behave like a hacker, you have to believe that the thinking time of other hackers is precious — so much so that it's almost a moral duty for you to share information, solve problems and then give the solutions away just so other hackers can solve new problems instead of having to perpetually re-address old ones.
                                  Note, however, that "No problem should ever have to be solved twice." does not imply that you have to consider all existing solutions sacred, or that there is only one right solution to any given problem. Often, we learn a lot about the problem that we didn't know before by studying the first cut at a solution. It's OK, and often necessary, to decide that we can do better. What's not OK is artificial technical, legal, or institutional barriers (like closed-source code) that prevent a good solution from being re-used and force people to re-invent wheels.
                                  (You don't have to believe that you're obligated to give all your creative product away, though the hackers that do are the ones that get most respect from other hackers. It's consistent with hacker values to sell enough of it to keep you in food and rent and computers. It's fine to use your hacking skills to support a family or even get rich, as long as you don't forget your loyalty to your art and your fellow hackers while doing it.)
                                  3. Boredom and drudgery are evil.
                                  Hackers (and creative people in general) should never be bored or have to drudge at stupid repetitive work, because when this happens it means they aren't doing what only they can do — solve new problems. This wastefulness hurts everybody. Therefore boredom and drudgery are not just unpleasant but actually evil.
                                  To behave like a hacker, you have to believe this enough to want to automate away the boring bits as much as possible, not just for yourself but for everybody else (especially other hackers).
                                  (There is one apparent exception to this. Hackers will sometimes do things that may seem repetitive or boring to an observer as a mind-clearing exercise, or in order to acquire a skill or have some particular kind of experience you can't have otherwise. But this is by choice — nobody who can think should ever be forced into a situation that bores them.)
                                  4. Freedom is good.
                                  Hackers are naturally anti-authoritarian. Anyone who can give you orders can stop you from solving whatever problem you're being fascinated by — and, given the way authoritarian minds work, will generally find some appallingly stupid reason to do so. So the authoritarian attitude has to be fought wherever you find it, lest it smother you and other hackers.
                                  (This isn't the same as fighting all authority. Children need to be guided and criminals restrained. A hacker may agree to accept some kinds of authority in order to get something he wants more than the time he spends following orders. But that's a limited, conscious bargain; the kind of personal surrender authoritarians want is not on offer.)
                                  Authoritarians thrive on censorship and secrecy. And they distrust voluntary cooperation and information-sharing — they only like ‘cooperation’ that they control. So to behave like a hacker, you have to develop an instinctive hostility to censorship, secrecy, and the use of force or deception to compel responsible adults. And you have to be willing to act on that belief.
                                  5. Attitude is no substitute for competence.
                                  To be a hacker, you have to develop some of these attitudes. But copping an attitude alone won't make you a hacker, any more than it will make you a champion athlete or a rock star. Becoming a hacker will take intelligence, practice, dedication, and hard work.
                                  Therefore, you have to learn to distrust attitude and respect competence of every kind. Hackers won't let posers waste their time, but they worship competence — especially competence at hacking, but competence at anything is valued. Competence at demanding skills that few can master is especially good, and competence at demanding skills that involve mental acuteness, craft, and concentration is best.
                                  If you revere competence, you'll enjoy developing it in yourself — the hard work and dedication will become a kind of intense play rather than drudgery. That attitude is vital to becoming a hacker."

Solid Gold!!!

ESR what a hero, great stuff WP
                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Spew or Standard Stack Off?

Villain is 36/32/4 - 61 hands

3 bet and stacked off with Q8s with 40bb's.

A few hands before this I doubled his stack when I ran KK into AA pre

Just a check up cos it's been niggling at me as to whether this is spew long term

Poker Stars $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em - 4 players - View hand 1548621
                                    DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

CO: $7.12
                                    BTN: $4.74
                                    Hero (SB): $5.00
                                    BB: $6.40

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero is SB with A K
                                    1 fold, BTN raises to $0.17, Hero raises to $0.60, 1 fold, BTN calls $0.43

Flop: ($1.25) A 3 Q (2 players)
                                    Hero bets $0.90, BTN raises to $4.14 all in, Hero calls $3.24

Turn: ($9.53) T (2 players - 1 is all in)

River: ($9.53) 4 (2 players - 1 is all in)

Comment

cant see his results / hand

though for me, I have top pair top kicker against a guy that could have any 2 cards, I am getting it in here without a problem

Comment

Originally posted by davidadams View Post
                                        cant see his results / hand

though for me, I have top pair top kicker against a guy that could have any 2 cards, I am getting it in here without a problem
                                        I don't want you to see his hand. It'll affect the way that you think about it

Comment

fair play, still the same opinion as above as he could have any two cards

Comment

For feed back on hands you'd be better off posting in the the Hold'em section of "Poker Theory, Strategy and Rulings". You'll get much more detailed and informative responses from a load of winning players.
                                            It's all an illusion

Comment

Originally posted by 72over View Post
                                              For feed back on hands you'd be better off posting in the the Hold'em section of "Poker Theory, Strategy and Rulings". You'll get much more detailed and informative responses from a load of winning players.
                                              And some crap ones too

Comment

Horrific start, nice finish

Hey folks,

A round up of the month so far:

5NL
                                                Hands played - 7374
                                                bb/100 - 2.21
                                                profit/loss - +$8.15

2NL
                                                Hands played - 933
                                                bb/100 - 9.91
                                                profit/loss - +$1.85

Bringing it to a round $10 for the month so far.

Bankroll - $177.63

Not a great start but ended quite nicely

And here is my main graph

I also won a ticket to The Sunday Storm using fpp's so good times ho. Hopefully I'll make a deep run for a nice cash.

Just a short one this month I'm afraid. I think the winter blues are taking their toll.

Good luck at the tables folks,

Pt

Comment

Well I played in the Sunday Storm and finished in 3529th for $46.56

That increases my roll by 26% up to $227.33

Time to take a shot at 10NL

Here's hoping I run good

Comment

Nice little session

Played a little 10NL today after watching a few tables last night to see how they play out.

Only 657 hands but seems to be playing the same as 5NL so far. It also helps when you run good

657 hands: +$32.82

Current bankroll: +$260.15

Comment

UPDATE

Haven't posted for a while but still on this puppy.

Moved up to 10NL had a rocky start but taking off now.

Also took 4th in a $2.20 6 max 2k guarantee for $158 in Dec

Bankroll now stands at $487.77

Good Times!!!

Comment

still going

hit some 25NL tables to check it out.

still on a heater.

good times!

yes

Comment

oh...and i cracked half a K

BOOSH!

Comment

QUICK UPDATE

Broke into 25NL went on a downswing and then on an enormous heater

Also transferred money from another site after taking a reg for €50 HU

Anticipating a horrible downswing

inevitable

Current Bank Roll $658.41 bon tempi
                                                            Last edited by pteridophyta; 21-01-12, 11:45. Reason: forgot the bankroll bit ;)

Comment

Working...
                                                            X