Basketball!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basketball!!!

I know its unusual for me to be writing about basketball, but here goes anyway. A lad that comes into the club playing poker (american but spends half the year in Kerry) was filling me in on the NCAA college basketball scene in the states. Its huge apparently.

Anyway, he makes a living off basketball sports betting, and doesnt mind admitting most of his bets are not of his own choosing, but that of his buddy who lives and breathes college basketball and like himself, punts on NCAA only.

He went on his email and showed me this weeks wager, which is 1 single bet from the 64 matches on, and a max bet advised on Creighton "blue jays" -3 against the Cincenatti "bearcats" at 10/11. The game is on Friday morning around 11am GMT. (Time is not exact because the game follows on when another game finishes). Not sure if its live on TV but ESPN are covering the few days play of the NCAA brackets, so I presume its part of that coverage.

I see there is betting on Boyles who go 10/11 -3.5
    Ive had a bet now, but just wondering have we any guys in here that follow the NCAA?

bet on all the underdogs in the first round according to Doyle Brunson!
    Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Follow basketball big time, not much ncaa stuff though, the amount of teams that are NCAA division 1 is astounding, loads of leagues within leagues, usually just watch Big East and similar groups.
      As far as betting goes it's definitely more value than NBA, too often the spread gets fucked because teams will take off their best players and leads get whittled down. Tends to happen alot less now towards the end of the season and into the playoffs.

My personal prediction would be to lay the Memphis Grizzles in Round 1 of the playoffs, Rudy Gay was a huge loss to them, had to be traded for financial reasons and I can't see them overcoming too much even though they're seeded 4th at the minute.

Just seen Kobe possibly gone till playoffs and Lakers lost last night so wont get 6th I dont think, still fancy the lay on Grizzles, at the minute they'd play the Nuggets who will definitely scoop the series and are the conference underdogs at 20/1
      Last edited by Guest; 19-03-13, 08:15.

Comment

College basketball is def exciting to watch although I don't bet on it. As a casual viewer it seems to be the year of the underdog with top ranked teams losing regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by connie147 View Post
          I know its unusual for me to be writing about basketball, but here goes anyway. A lad that comes into the club playing poker (american but spends half the year in Kerry) was filling me in on the NCAA college basketball scene in the states. Its huge apparently.

Anyway, he makes a living off basketball sports betting, and doesnt mind admitting most of his bets are not of his own choosing, but that of his buddy who lives and breathes college basketball and like himself, punts on NCAA only.

He went on his email and showed me this weeks wager, which is 1 single bet from the 64 matches on, and a max bet advised on Creighton "blue jays" -3 against the Cincenatti "bearcats" at 10/11. The game is on Friday morning around 11am GMT. (Time is not exact because the game follows on when another game finishes). Not sure if its live on TV but ESPN are covering the few days play of the NCAA brackets, so I presume its part of that coverage.

I see there is betting on Boyles who go 10/11 -3.5
          Ive had a bet now, but just wondering have we any guys in here that follow the NCAA?

Nice one for passing on the information, you could be onto something very useful here. I don't bet much on basketball myself apart from the odd tip I get from a very accurate but not so prolific punter on another forum. I'll pass on anything I get frm him and be following this thread with interest
          Last edited by conspicuous; 19-03-13, 13:15.

Comment

Advised line (Bluejays -3 @ 10/11) now widely available, Connie et al.
            3six5, B0yle, v1ctor, SJ & L@dbrokes.
            Cheers for tip & good luck us!

Comment

As I mentioned the other day the Nuggets were 20/1 for Western Conference had a small bet at the price considering on a 12 game winning streak and possibly the deepest team in the NBA.
              Price was slashed to 12/1 today after beating the Thunder in Oklahoma, the Thunder are still favs but possibly looking like they could be good value to lay now.

James Harden was a big loss and pretty much played the minutes of a starter last year coming off the bench and is proving he is an elite player in his own right at the Rockets and the Thunder could simply not replace him and will suffer without him in the Playoffs. With the league drawing to a close I think their problems are starting to surface.

Not convinced they have the enough to win the conference now, they should get through round 1 handy enough, provided they don't play the Lakers who may cause them a bit of trouble but could definitely see them losing to the Spurs or Nuggets.

Definitely going to be really interesting post season especially in the West!

Comment

14:25 ET scheduled start going by this . They're only GMT -4 at the moment until we go to BST so that makes it an 18:25 start for us. It's live on CBS should be able to find streams .

Comment

is there may people on this?

im a keen basketball follower as i played a decent level in my youth and i have to say college ball is far more exciting to watch than NBA

hopefully this is FTW

Comment

Originally posted by Maddogg View Post
                    is there may people on this?

im a keen basketball follower as i played a decent level in my youth and i have to say college ball is far more exciting to watch than NBA

hopefully this is FTW
                    Most of the winnings from Our Conor going onto this I would say

Comment

St. Mary's and Memphis was a great game last night. Amazing defense by St. Mary's to score and force a turnover from the inbound. Missed the 3 to tie it up at the death though. Felt sorry for 'em.

Comment

Alarm bells would be going off for me if someone who "claims" to make a living from punting NCAAB can only find one bet from this insanely busy schedule.
                        Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                          Alarm bells would be going off for me if someone who "claims" to make a living from punting NCAAB can only find one bet from this insanely busy schedule.
                          I don't think anyone's putting their house on this one[Our Conor loots was ajoke ] so no need to panic yet. We're all taking a keen interest, playing it by ear and hoping the source is good. I wouldn't be bothered by the fact he only has one bet either, the 3 best punters I know in different sports commonly have only one or 2 selections from a long schedule of matches.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                            Why would you say that? Some punters like to keep the bets to a minimum and have a 10% ROI while others may bet 5 times as much with a 2%-3%. Also those lines are supposed to be extremely accurate (to within 0.5 points) so you have to wait for exceptional circumstances, mainly injuries, but also the likes of the top scorer/assister having a newborn ect ect to gain an edge before the line drops about 48-72 hours before the match. The most successful punters I have come across would have 1 bet from about 20-25 matches of fairly in-depth statistical analysis before narrowing the games down to do the more time consuming fundamental analysis.

I would be far more wary of someone having a bet from 5-10 matches.

Comment

Hold on, Creighton are the lock of the week? Cincy struggle to score, but they match up with Creighton very well in athletic terms and should have an edge in the paint.
                              "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

If ye want to punt on this weekend Gonzaga's performance last night offers a beautiful opportunity. The line for their third round game opened way too tight. Take the Zags to cover and feel good about it.
                                "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by Seventh Street View Post
                                  Why would you say that? Some punters like to keep the bets to a minimum and have a 10% ROI while others may bet 5 times as much with a 2%-3%.

I would be far more wary of someone having a bet from 5-10 matches.
                                  If their ROI is 10% + they're far more than likely not betting enough. US sport lines are exceptionally tight so to maximise any small edge you might have you'd need to be placing a large volume of bets to see any decent end result.

Anyway bit of a drift on Creighton on BF so extra value for anyone who trusts his word.
                                  Profit before people.

Comment

As someone who watches a lot of College Bball every year it seems an odd matchup to focus on.

Comment

Fuck you doubters, I'm on Gamble, gamble. Go Blue Jays!

It's on ESPN Amercia or stream below. Tip off in around 5 minutes at 7pm.

Opr

Comment

Live updates here.

Click here for the latest Basketball scores & results from around the world. Basketball scores from all the top leagues & competitions including the latest news.

24-21 up atm

Comment

Great game at the moment. Thomas for Cincenatti has looked very good.

Opr

Comment

Great to see a basketball thread. Long may it continue!

Comment

Five points up blow it up ref.

Comment

Weird game. Blue Jays turned it over a rancid amount but shot a ridiculous percentage from the field especially for three. Bearcats while defensively awesome early on just can't shoot the ball. Can we claim McDermot from the Blue Jays as Irish? Hes been providing the finishing touch for the Blue Jays in all manner of different ways. Blue Jays five ahead at halt time.

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by Alanfox View Post
                                                  Great to see a basketball thread. Long may it continue!
                                                  Definitely cool to see a thread, hopefully it'll continue in the NBA post season as well!
                                                  Didn't back that tip Connie gave, just don't know enough about college basketball.

From what I've read as of late, the draft class doesn't seem particularly strong this year(neither was last year), it can be so strange, a guy may be exceptional at college level but might not even get drafted and vice versa, can be very strange at times!

Comment

We had a thread about B-ball here already. It just didn't get updated much after a while.
                                                    'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

BJ's take the biggest lead of the game. Up by eight.

Opr

Comment

Wow, BJ's win by 4 Thanks Connie. Great sweat!

Opr

Comment

watched last couple minutes. epic sweat

Comment

Creighton v Cincinnati - Handicap Betting

Creighton

Single

case loots on boyles obv,

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
                                                              Definitely cool to see a thread, hopefully it'll continue in the NBA post season as well!
                                                              Didn't back that tip Connie gave, just don't know enough about college basketball.

From what I've read as of late, the draft class doesn't seem particularly strong this year(neither was last year), it can be so strange, a guy may be exceptional at college level but might not even get drafted and vice versa, can be very strange at times!
                                                              Some great players came out last year. D lil, Beal, Kidd Gil, Meyers Leonard, A Davis, Zeller is playing well, Waiters, Drummond. All having pretty good seasons and getting good minutes. Compare it to the year before where if you take out Kyrie (whos the best pick in the past 5/6 years. up there with D. Rose) it was a pretty poor year. Not alot of hype this year unlike last year over Davis. Pity he's had some injuries. Gonna be a great player down the strech once he puts on alot of muscle.

Also there was an NBA thread here a while back, probably a year. Good to see another I prefer betting on the NBA, alot less underdogs have games out of nowhere where they upset the odds like what happens a bit too often in college ball for my liking.

Comment

Originally posted by kpnuts View Post
                                                                watched last couple minutes. epic sweat
                                                                Never in doubt Ken, lol
                                                                N1 Connie

Comment

Originally posted by tglynn View Post
                                                                  Some great players came out last year. D lil, Beal, Kidd Gil, Meyers Leonard, A Davis, Zeller is playing well, Waiters, Drummond. All having pretty good seasons and getting good minutes. Compare it to the year before where if you take out Kyrie (whos the best pick in the past 5/6 years. up there with D. Rose) it was a pretty poor year. Not alot of hype this year unlike last year over Davis. Pity he's had some injuries. Gonna be a great player down the strech once he puts on alot of muscle.

Also there was an NBA thread here a while back, probably a year. Good to see another I prefer betting on the NBA, alot less underdogs have games out of nowhere where they upset the odds like what happens a bit too often in college ball for my liking.
                                                                  I think the only player who has shined is Lillard, agreed Davis has a world of potential but hasn't shown it yet, agreed its not his fault. Kidd Gil as every analyst said never deserved to go as high on ability but is a workhorse, will never be a top player! I like Waiters and Drummond but none are top drawer.
                                                                  I would argue Shumpaert, Biyombo, Williams, Walker, Valanciunas have more long term potential but it is much too hard to tell, I just think that ever since Lebron class, every class just disappoints!!

Nice way to spend your 1000th post btw ;-)
                                                                  Last edited by Guest; 22-03-13, 22:15.

Comment

Cheers for sharing the info Con.

Comment

ultimate sweat

Cheers con but it was no where near in the bag

Really enjoyed the basketball bet,any more?

Think I might take the nuggets @12-1

Comment

Really enjoyed the game as a spectacle having watched very little NCAA. Could you recommend some upcoming games Lloyd to give a go?

Opr

Comment

Thanks Connie

Comment

I doubled it with Sweden

Comment

#39
                                                                              expecting miami to cover the -15 v detroit @10/11 as long as they dont go down 27 points like they did v cleveland the other night :/

Comment

#40
                                                                                Lakers should cover -8 in Staples Kobe and Gasol are both back or so NBA.com says, minutes will be somewhat limited but should cover it!

Comment

#41
                                                                                  Lakers should cover -8 in Staples Kobe and Gasol are both back or so NBA.com says, minutes will be somewhat limited but should cover it!
                                                                                  i dunno even with the lakers coming into a bit of form the last while, they are still dodgy enough, if they cover it i expect them to just get there imo

Comment

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by chips1234 View Post
                                                                                    i dunno even with the lakers coming into a bit of form the last while, they are still dodgy enough, if they cover it i expect them to just get there imo
                                                                                    MWP, Dwight and Steve Blake all fit now, Dwight is starting to look like the player he really is, definitely value there I think. Wizards are poor in the front court, Dwight will totally dominate be v-surprised if they don't beat it!

Comment

#43
                                                                                      MWP, Dwight and Steve Blake all fit now, Dwight is starting to look like the player he really is, definitely value there I think. Wizards are poor in the front court, Dwight will totally dominate be v-surprised if they don't beat it!
                                                                                      this is what should happen, but in reality they will prob slump over the line

Comment

#44
                                                                                        this is what should happen, but in reality they will prob slump over the line
                                                                                        Agree to disagree, I think the Heat will lose(lol)

Fancy them to win till they meet The Spurs on March 31st in San Antonio

Comment

#45
                                                                                          Agree to disagree, I think the Heat will lose(lol)

Fancy them to win till they meet The Spurs on March 31st in San Antonio
                                                                                          if the heat lose im claiming that it was my bet on them that snapped the 24 game win streak

Comment

#46
                                                                                            It will be tight, i'd set the line nearer 5/6 myself, Wizards have been playing great ball as of late. Big miss if Beal is out, as I said earlier he's a quality rookie. That said, Lakers on their day can blow anyone out. Here's hoping anyway (I'm a Laker fan). Still don;t think Dwight is anywhere near his best. He's not aggressive as he can be, he has admitted himself he doesn't go as hard in case he re injuries his back or shoulder.

I like Memphis -6.5, Pacers -4.5 and the pick of the bunch, Bobcats -1! They have had a decent run at home and like the wizards are just playing for the game now. And Pistons suck balls anyway. Spurs are too high but could still cover which means there's no value, and same with the Rockets even though I like the Cavs side of things there on the handicap. If the Rockets hit their 3's they win big, simple really.

Should be a good Laker game, can't wait to have Pau back fully, he's a comer stone and was starting to link up well with Dwight before his injury.

Kidd Gil shouldn't have gone so high but he will be a very good player. Also I think Drummond will be a top center in 5 years. Remember he's only 19 and putting up decent rook numbers off the bench for a shit team (10ppg and nearly 8rpp).

Comment

#47
                                                                                              if the heat lose im claiming that it was my bet on them that snapped the 24 game win streak
                                                                                              here's hoping!

Comment

#48
                                                                                                Georgetown in trouble.

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                                  I doubled it with Sweden
                                                                                                  serves you right

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    been getting back interested in it again this year living around so many muricans.

clippers are very entertaining

Check out what might be the best play of the year as Jamal Crawford goes through his legs in mid-air & then tosses the alley-oop pass to Blake Griffin who fi...

Comment

#51
                                                                                                      Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                                                      Really enjoyed the game as a spectacle having watched very little NCAA. Could you recommend some upcoming games Lloyd to give a go?

Opr
                                                                                                      Tournament is on all weekend mate!

Huge potential upset in progress with 15 seed Florida GC with a 15 point lead over 2 seed Georgetown...

Comment

#52
                                                                                                        have you got a stream for that one lloyd firstrowsports link is offline

Comment

#53
                                                                                                          Originally posted by Laois Hammer View Post
                                                                                                          have you got a stream for that one lloyd firstrowsports link is offline
                                                                                                          NCAA website streams the games free.

Opr

Comment

#54
                                                                                                            Hmm, not allowing access to International residents anymore!

Comment

#55
                                                                                                              It says can only watch from the U.S, how you guys getting around that

Comment

#56
                                                                                                                Originally posted by Laois Hammer View Post
                                                                                                                It says can only watch from the U.S, how you guys getting around that
                                                                                                                I've been watching on ESPN America mate, hadn't checked the player. That's irritating, in previous years you were able to access the MMOD site (it's pretty amazing).

Comment

#57
                                                                                                                  Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                                                                                  If ye want to punt on this weekend Gonzaga's performance last night offers a beautiful opportunity. The line for their third round game opened way too tight. Take the Zags to cover and feel good about it.
                                                                                                                  Gonzaga -6.5 v Wichita?

Comment

#58
                                                                                                                    disappointed the heat didnt cover last night although they really should have covered it easy, and i have no clue how the lakers threw away a 16 point lead at halftime to lose that game.

Comment

#59
                                                                                                                      disappointed the heat didnt cover last night although they really should have covered it easy, and i have no clue how the lakers threw away a 16 point lead at halftime to lose that game.
                                                                                                                      Was watching it, Kobe took some poor shots and everyone else's shots weren't falling. That coupled with the Wizards shooting 70%+ fg% for alot of the 3rd and 4th quarters didn't help

Comment

#60
                                                                                                                        Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                                                                                                                        Gonzaga -6.5 v Wichita?
                                                                                                                        yep

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X