Facing a donk-bet with QQ early on in €30 freeze-out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Facing a donk-bet with QQ early on in €30 freeze-out

New to the boards, thought I'd post about a hand I was in earlier tonight as I'd appreciate people's opinions on how I played it.

I was playing the €30+5 freeze-out in The Jackpot, and the table I was assigned to was full of extremely loose players, lots of limp-calling pre with absolute trash, 5+ players seeing flops in the majority of pots etc, etc.

Blinds were up to 50/100 and I have QQ in the CO with ~9.5k in chips, 3 players have limped and action is on me.

I make it 525, the SB, BB and the 3 limpers all call to see a J 6 3 flop, (two diamonds.) The BB leads out for 1900.

The 3 initial limpers fold and action is on me again. I'm thinking she has either a strong Jack, or a set, not entirely sure which though. If I re-raise to 4k and she ships all-in, I know I'm up against a set and I'd fold, but to do so I'm investing over 4.5k of my 9.5k stack and folding, which doesn't make sense to me committing so much chips early on. I don't think I can flat-call here either as I'm still left guessing as to whether the villain has a set or not on the turn.

I tank for a while and ship all-in, and get snapped off by a set. Busto.

Have I made any obvious mistake here the way I played the hand? Obviously when I make it 5.25x pre-flop I'm creating a huge pot, should I have raised less and tried to kept the pot smaller? Making a standard 2.5x raise makes no sense after 3 players limp, but should I have made it something in between 2.5x and 5.25x?

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!

First up,in future dont post the reults, u will get biased answers etc.
    preflop you played it fine, I might even make it 600.
    On the flop I'm prob never folding unless the player is a super nit and u have a good read.
    Once I decide I'm most likely ahead I prob flat the flop with the intention of trapping and getting my pot sized stack in on any non-king/ace turn
    Just my 2c

Comment

It's the Jackpot, you are golden herethe majority of the time. You should be including a lot of diamond draws in there aswell I think. Flat the flop bet and play from there. Really hate the shove.

Comment

I'd ship the flop. Wouldn't even dream of folding.
        Looking for full or part time poker and betting writers. PM if interested.

Comment

With your description of players, i make it bigger preflop. As big as 800. We don't really want 3 players coming along to a flop. We'd much rather have 2 players paying 800 (1600) than 3 players paying 525 (1575).

Either flat the flop with the intention of getting it in on most turns, or just ship it now. We can't really fold here against those type of players. Whatever you do though, don't do what you suggest below..

Originally posted by DFinneran View Post
          If I re-raise to 4k and she ships all-in, I know I'm up against a set and I'd fold, but to do so I'm investing over 4.5k of my 9.5k stack and folding

Comment

Preflop is fine, bit more works better to hopefully narrow the field. On the flop we can't really fold (obv depends on villain and your history) so i'd flat and aim to get it in on the turn vs the usual jack of some sort. Ul to be vs set.

Comment

In this particular game vs this field I shove here. Top pair is golden to these monkeys.

I may just call sometimes and hope for a safe turn, but about half the deck sucks for us and you're risking losing value from worse hands whereas they won't fold AJ/KJ on the flop here basically ever. And if they do we take down a pot of nearly 5k. Which is fine by me.

Raising and folding to a shove would be absolutely atrocious. Don't do that.

I'd make it about 600-800 pre. Really don't want to be taking a flop 5 ways here.

Comment

Raise size pre is fine IMO. Calling flop and getting it in on any non J turn seems like the best action given the villian may fold a weak J on the flop if we raise/shove. Either way can never EVER fold here without a good read on the villian.
                They will be like WTF how does he always have the top of his range, and they will be saying that when you show up with like nine's - Jimmy Fricke
                Nine's are the top of my range - Shaun Deeb

Comment

What's our plan for calling if a diamond comes? A blank? A 9/T/K/A?

So many bad cards and you will very often have a J calling off here cos they'll talk themselves into thinking you're flushing. 80% of Jackpot players are not folding KJ/AJ here ever.

Pot is over 5k, nearly 7k if we call and we'll have just about a pot sized bet to play. I don't hate calling but I think shoving is better. You're rarely beat here. Hard to flop a hand that beats QQ on that board.

Folding is out of the question.
                  Last edited by Moneymaker; 19-03-12, 18:46.

Comment

Working...
                  X