Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Absolutely massive that someone like Richard Bruton has come out with this imo. Surely would have been seen as political suicide even a couple of weeks ago. I never fully agreed with Lazares optimistic timeline for change but this is a big positive, lets see what sort of decrease there is in baptisims, will have a knock on effect for secondary education down the line.

Comment

Originally posted by jack90210 View Post
      Yes but they have already stated this won't be the case https://www.education.ie/en/Press-Ev...R18-05-09.html
      If there is a need for minority catholic schools to get funding that should work in their favour.

Comment

Did he not come out about this before? Or was it Labour? He has a reasonably safe constituency for that kind of announcement either way anyway

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
          Absolutely. Public schools free of religion. Private schools can apply for public funding and be judged on how good their local TD is no matter what man in the sky they use to try to control people with.
          That will be a long battle. Not on religious grounds but people who assumed they had the right to send their kids to school X (under the patronage of religion Y - which is generally notional at best) will all be inundating their TDs.
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
            Did he not come out about this before? Or was it Labour? He has a reasonably safe constituency for that kind of announcement either way anyway
            Yeah he came out on this months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
              There's the Co-ordinates on Maps / Streetview.

Jesus it really was in the middle of nowhere. Some walk on a dark night.

51.529523, -9.676144
              Sure is. Maybe he took the car?

(Fooking bookmarks. Too lazy to get rid of them now).
              Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Seems I'm way out of touch, haven't lived in Ireland in 6 years. Just can't imagine any FG or FF TD considering coming out with that in the not too distant past.

I think the bigger fight than self entitled parents will be the problem of the church owning half of the land around the country.

Comment

Originally posted by Roseanne Barr
                  “It was 2 in the morning and I was ambien tweeting — it was memorial day too — i went 2 far & do not want it defended
                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

So you think Catholic schools should have the same amount of religious schools as other religions even though according to the 2016 census 78% of the Irish population are Catholics?
                    Ironically that's because of forced baptism. The recent referendum is a more accurate depiction of catholicism in Ireland.

I would say the % of actual devout catholics, people who follow church teaching fully is in the low single digits.
                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                      Ironically that's because of forced baptism. The recent referendum is a more accurate depiction of catholicism in Ireland.

I would say the % of actual devout catholics, people who follow church teaching fully is in the low single digits.
                      So people didn't state that only 2 years ago by their own free will when they had the option to enter no religion or a different religion?

Comment

It's not just removing baptism as a criteria, it is taking communion and confirmation out of normal school hours. If parents want their children to go through these rites (as quite a few may do) then it should be done out of normal school hours.

Comment

So people didn't state that only 2 years ago by their own free will when they had the option to enter no religion or a different religion?
                          Most people don't care as much as you and I. They just tick boxes.

Comment

Elderly parents lying about their childrens religion on the Census. Bigger issue than home to vote.

Comment

If the baptism barrier is successfully removed within the next five years I will wager the price of 100x pints of Guinness that the 2046 Census will show fewer than 15% catholics.

Comment

Will Protestant, Jewish and Islamic schools be treated the same or just Catholic schools?
                                Personally I'd be all for these schools to continue receiving public funding.
                                I doubt there are many kids in Islamic primary schools due to lack of other options. This isn't the issue but you know that already.

Comment

Originally posted by darwinatemyhamster View Post
                                  Personally I'd be all for these schools to continue receiving public funding.
                                  I doubt there are many kids in Islamic primary schools due to lack of other options. This isn't the issue but you know that already.
                                  How is that equality? Like why is one religion discriminated against?

Comment

fk you boys i'm not giving up Christmas. Do we all tell the kids about Santa ?

Comment

Breakxit.

Comment

That's 100x 2046 pince in case I didn't make that clear.

Comment

The tiny number of 'minority' faith schools can easily be accomadated by the state as long as there's no exclusion on religious terms by individual schools.
                                          The obvious issue here is with Catholic schools, again obvious.
                                          As I said I'd be for minority religions to get a pass for now.
                                          The issue is clearly with the Catholic church run schools forcing their inherited archaic indoctrination of Irish children.
                                          Thankfully the wheels are in motion and I believe and hope there's no stopping them now.

Comment

Absolutely massive that someone like Richard Bruton has come out with this imo. Surely would have been seen as political suicide even a couple of weeks ago. I never fully agreed with Lazares optimistic timeline for change but this is a big positive, lets see what sort of decrease there is in baptisims, will have a knock on effect for secondary education down the line.
                                            Yeah, he did announce it a couple of months ago. Your general point is correct thoigh, this is a long game, it would have been political suicide only a short 10 years ago. He's saying it with gusto now after getting a slap of the mood of the nation.

It's not just him though, there are all sorts of politicians and media types calling for full separation since Saturday. It's glorious.

Hearing bishop Kevin Doran on Sean O'Rourke complain about now being a minority was very very satisfying.

Comment

This is what the No side were fighting against, Iona, Libertas etc.

They never cared about the unborn.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                This is hilarious if you can get through the cringe factor.
                                                I can just imagine the conversations in the Sky newsroom

Kay Burley : we should do one of the last debates allowed before the ban on campaigning kicks it

Producer : Great idea Kay, We'll get right on it

Producer : I need you to get me two people, one from each side of the debate due to bloody Irish law. Everything is about equality since they voted for the gays to marry.

Junior Researcher (more than likely an intern) : Eh, ok, I'll get right onto it.

Producer: And get me a coffee, this one is cold

*Some time later*

Junior Researcher: Ok, so I have Colm O'Gorman from Amnesty Intl.

Producer : Great, excellent stuff

Junior Researcher : but...

Producer : but, what? Spit it out

Junior Researcher : I'm struggling to find anybody from the no side willing to debate

Producer: Jesus Christ, I thought you millennials knew how to work social media, surely you can find one person who has tweeted/posted something anti abortion?

Junior Researcher: well, there is one person but...

Producer: But, what? We're almost out of time. Are they anti abortion and are they willing to do a debate?

Junior Researcher: well, yes...

Producer : well, then, get them down here asap. *Turns to Kay Burley* I sometimes worry about this generation, I really do...

Comment

You're intentionally looking at this backwards. So let's clear it up.

1. 95% of schools are Catholic. So if a Catholic parent wants a Catholic child to go to a Catholic ethos school then they can do so.

2. It's not as easy to guarantee that for Jewish, Islamic, Hindi etc. so the faith criteria remains for those schools to ensure that children of those faiths can, just like the children of Catholic families, access a school with their religious ethos.

3. The rules only apply to over-subscribed schools. Mostly in cities. Schools that are not over-subscribed have to take every applicant anyway.

Schools that are over-subscribed have been using religion to refuse a child who lives down the road in favour of one who lives in the next town a few miles away. That rule is discriminatory against children of one faith over another. So, I might be forced to ask:

You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                  World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                    95% of schools are Catholic. So if a Catholic parent wants a Catholic child to go to a Catholic ethos school then they can do so.
                                                    For now.

Comment

My Chinese friends who got baptised themselves and have been going to mass regularly are going to me mighty pissed off

Actually they will just shrug their shoulder and laugh about it and continue to do whatever they can to give their child a leg up.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                        I can
                                                        Do you rent out that little bit of Atlantic coastal paradise at all?
                                                        PM if you're doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                          Do you rent out that little bit of Atlantic coastal paradise at all?
                                                          PM if you're doing that.
                                                          I'm afraid not. Herself's Dad splits his time between there and a bolt hole in Dublin but he spends a good bit more time out west than Dublin

Comment

Good plan by him.

Comment

For now.
                                                              I’m gonna blow your mind here Jack. This is revolutionary stuff. You ready?

Legislation can change when circumstances change.

Mind. Blown.

Comment

I’m gonna blow your mind here Jack. This is revolutionary stuff. You ready?

Legislation can change when circumstances change.

Mind. Blown.
                                                                I can see the logic of religious schools not been publicly funded but object to it if it just discriminates against Catholic schools it is the equality position.

Comment

I can see the logic of religious schools not been publicly funded but object to it if it just discriminates against Catholic schools it is the equality position.
                                                                  Did I miss something about school funding? I know it somehow got mixed up in the announcement about changes to the law on admissions policies but the government haven’t announced a funding change to schools that I missed have they?

Comment

Did I miss something about school funding? I know it somehow got mixed up in the announcement about changes to the law on admissions policies but the government haven’t announced a funding change to schools that I missed have they?
                                                                    You know what point I am making Jewish, Islamic, Protestant schools shouldn't be able to discriminate on entry and if Catholic can't.

Comment

You know what point I am making Jewish, Islamic, Protestant schools shouldn't be able to discriminate on entry and if Catholic can't.
                                                                      Sorry I see your point now.

The problem is you are coming at it from the wrong angle. If Catholics gave up their near-monopoly on school patronage and had as few schools as the other faiths proportionately then they could discriminate because, as Lazare said, every kid would have access to their local school anyway.

However, when you’re basically the only show in most towns then allowing you that same discrimination has the reverse effect. It causes disproportionate harm to innocent children who cannot access their local school based on religious grounds.

This proposal balances the rights of all the faiths. It doesn’t remove religious ethos or teaching from catholic schools, meaning Catholics can still access catholic education easily (90% of primary schools are Catholic) but it does stop non-religious families in the catchment of oversubscribed schools (20% of primary schools) from being horribly disadvantaged in admission criteria.

That is a proportionate and reasonable approach to the issue. It ensures equality of opportunity and admission for the children. Which is kind of the whole point.

Comment

Sorry I see your point now.

The problem is you are coming at it from the wrong angle. If Catholics gave up their near-monopoly on school patronage and had as few schools as the other faiths proportionately then they could discriminate because, as Lazare said, every kid would have access to their local school anyway.

However, when you’re basically the only show in most towns then allowing you that same discrimination has the reverse effect. It causes disproportionate harm to innocent children who cannot access their local school based on religious grounds.

This proposal balances the rights of all the faiths. It doesn’t remove religious ethos or teaching from catholic schools, meaning Catholics can still access catholic education easily (90% of primary schools are Catholic) but it does stop non-religious families in the catchment of oversubscribed schools (20% of primary schools) from being horribly disadvantaged in admission criteria.

That is a proportionate and reasonable approach to the issue. It ensures equality of opportunity and admission for the children. Which is kind of the whole point.
                                                                        But a Catholic child could be denied access to a Catholic school whereas a Jewish child will never be denied access to a Jewish school even taking account of the difference in numbers this isn't fair treatment or equality. As I said earlier 78% of the population are declared Catholics and have as much right to access religious education as minority religions.

Comment

But a Catholic child could be denied access to a Catholic school whereas a Jewish child will never be denied access to a Jewish school even taking account of the difference in numbers this isn't fair treatment or equality.
                                                                          Admittedly, I'm not up to speed on admission policies of every school. But is that comparing a state school and a private school? Your whole point regarding equality goes out the window if so.

I agree with you that it should be fair and equal for all regardless of religion. No (major) religion should be discriminated against.

State schools should be non denominal. Or when they have a religious patron, they should not be allowed to use religion as an admission factor. This applies to catholic state schools and jewish state schools to the same degree.

Private Catholic Schools are free to use religion or any factors in admissions.
                                                                          Jewish Catholic Schools are also allowed religion or any factors in admissions.
                                                                          The above applies regardless of whether a private school (of any denomination) receives funding.

Does any of that appear to be unequal treatment of anyone?

Comment

Jaysus, it's like watching a drunk argue with someone.
                                                                            It's like reading one of those nonsensical copy and paste replies from online forums.

"97% of babies who are aborted have been proven in statistics as discussed on RTE"
                                                                            Where is the rest of that sentence?

"Women are 6 more times likely to commit suicide"...ignoring that the words in the wrong order. That statistic is just incorrect. Suicide rates in men are considerable higher.

Is this satire?

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                              It's like reading one of those nonsensical copy and paste replies from online forums.

"97% of babies who are aborted have been proven in statistics as discussed on RTE"
                                                                              Where is the rest of that sentence?

"Women are 6 more times likely to commit suicide"...ignoring that the words in the wrong order. That statistic is just incorrect. Suicide rates in men are considerable higher.

Is this satire?
                                                                              I remember thinking that every time I heard a Haughey interview all those years ago.

Comment

Jack, you mention the 78% figure in the Census knowing that it is a bullshit indicator but l will let you have that one.

My question is, as a devout catholic yourself, do you really want babies to be baptised for the sake of getting into schools? Would you call them catholics because they had some water poured on them? If that child never believes in god or goes to church are they still a catholic in your eyes?

I agree all religions should have equal funding, be that Jewish, Muslim or catholic.

Comment

I switched off soccer (and in particular the boards.ie forum) roughly .2 of a second after Karius's second goal for Madrid on Saturday.
                                                                                  Looking at the forum now and the feedback thread it seems to have gone especially mental and poisonous in the hours after that game.

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
                                                                                    Jack, you mention the 78% figure in the Census knowing that it is a bullshit indicator but l will let you have that one.

My question is, as a devout catholic yourself, do you really want babies to be baptised for the sake of getting into schools? Would you call them catholics because they had some water poured on them? If that child never believes in god or goes to church are they still a catholic in your eyes?

I agree all religions should have equal funding, be that Jewish, Muslim or catholic.
                                                                                    I wouldn't say devout just follow the ethos of it I saw it referred to as a cultural Catholic. People are free to choose their religion and at the last independent free to answer survey most people still are.

Equal funding no, proportionate funding yes if there is any funding at all.

Mellor that would seem fair but they aren't doing that, the Bill explicitly protects minority religion at the expense of another.

Comment

Can't really see any valid reason for the state to support religious indoctrination.

People are free to choose their religion
                                                                                      Very few do though. Since most people inherit it, or take it from their surroundings, if anything schools should be completely secular, so that people can actually make a conscious choice.

Comment

I agree with the premise but I think from the other side of the argument. Rather than protecting catholic schools I would be happy to remove all religions from all schools that get state funding if it’s a cent or the whole lot.

Teaching about all religions is worthwhile I guess but i am not overly sure. it should be under an ethics class not a world religions class imo and you can teach a lot of other areas in terms of democratic structures, the always topical consent and a whole load of other good lessons on how not to be a dick.

I find all religious instruction during school hours pointless when an extra maths class would be more useful.

Comment

Replace religion class with world politics . (This will also cover religion)

Comment

Can't really see any valid reason for the state to support religious indoctrination.

Very few do though. Since most people inherit it, or take it from their surroundings, if anything schools should be completely secular, so that people can actually make a conscious choice.
                                                                                            Then you would agree the State shouldn't be allowing minority religions to discriminate?

Comment

This is it. I'm fairly uncomfortable with the idea even of parents indoctrinating vulnerable children privately, but having the state give money to schools that do it is an anachronism we ought to fix as soon as possible.

Not really on board with kids being put into private schools where they can be taught any old guff even when the state is not footing the bill tbh.

Kids surely have a right to a certain standard of education based on latest and greatest methods and evidence. A right not to be indoctrinated as a small child would also seem something that ought to exist, I dunno.

Comment

Then you would agree the State shouldn't be allowing minority religions to discriminate?
                                                                                                I'd be happier if this rule applied to all the schools for sure, but you seem to be worrying about a particular religion being discriminated against, when you should be worrying about particular children being discriminated against.

As Kayroo explained this rule will make sure kids of all faiths can get into schools with matching ethoses (ethea?), besides children of no religion who will continue to have to put up with denominational education.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                  I switched off soccer (and in particular the boards.ie forum) roughly .2 of a second after Karius's second goal for Madrid on Saturday.
                                                                                                  Looking at the forum now and the feedback thread it seems to have gone especially mental and poisonous in the hours after that game.
                                                                                                  Apparently all sparked off by a mod labelling Kopp as a 'serial loser' in the pool forum.
                                                                                                  No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

I wouldn't say devout just follow the ethos of it I saw it referred to as a cultural Catholic. People are free to choose their religion and at the last independent free to answer survey most people still are.

Equal funding no, proportionate funding yes if there is any funding at all.

Mellor that would seem fair but they aren't doing that, the Bill explicitly protects minority religion at the expense of another.
                                                                                                    I am dissapointed to hear you are a "Cultural Catholic". What does that mean? If you don't want to answer that's cool but do you believe in God? Go to mass? pray regularly?

To be honest I would have more respect for full on religous lunatics. Half doing it seems a waste of time.

Comment

With the nice forecast i was gonna head to Bloom for day in the sun over the weekend.

€25 in! What do you get for that? Anyone ever been?

Comment

I am dissapointed to hear you are a "Cultural Catholic". What does that mean? If you don't want to answer that's cool but do you believe in God? Go to mass? pray regularly?

To be honest I would have more respect for full on religous lunatics. Half doing it seems a waste of time.
                                                                                                        It means he doesn't go to mass but he makes a fish pie on ash wednesday
                                                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

All catholics do it half arsed, make it up as they go along, pick and choose which rules to obey.
                                                                                                          Years ago catholics couldn't eat meat any Friday then it was like ah good Friday and ash wednesday will do. Who did the big man send down with the message?
                                                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

Last 2 referendum results would tell me that 78% cant even call themselves cultural catholics. A person that doesnt believe in a god and only enters a church for the big occasions cant even be considered a cultural catholic surely.

Comment

My work has been distracted by the 3 Seagull chicks on the balcony. With started as ah look at them they are cute, has turned into the torture of Mammy & Daddy Seagull screaming off other birds.

Look forward to them flying away, wonder how long it will take.

Comment

Last 2 referendum results would tell me that 78% cant even call themselves cultural catholics. A person that doesnt believe in a god and only enters a church for the big occasions cant even be considered a cultural catholic surely.
                                                                                                                It's been pointed out for many years at this stage that that particular question in the census couldn't be much more poorly designed (I suppose if your purpose was to maintain the notion of Holy Catholic Ireland it works ok).

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                                                  All catholics do it half arsed, make it up as they go along, pick and choose which rules to obey.?
                                                                                                                  Its ridiculously easy to extract from most religious people the fundamental beliefs their faith is built on and tear them to shreds leaving the individual to decide if they are to continue to cling on to faith with an understanding, at their very core, that it is no more than a collection of irrational hypocritical memes or grow the fuck up.
                                                                                                                  It is a cruel and dangerous thing to do and should be reserved only for those who deserve it. Very many individuals are better off living under the comfort blanket of religion, sometimes I think we all kind of envy their certainty

Comment

Zidane walks from Real.

Genius.

Comment

Originally posted by CHDog View Post
                                                                                                                      Zidane walks from Real.

Genius.
                                                                                                                      Sure pep did the same from barclona. Those Spanish clubs must be toxic, yes siree!
                                                                                                                      No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                                                                        Sure pep did the same from barclona. Those Spanish clubs must be toxic, yes siree!
                                                                                                                        Bit different leaving after a shit season and walking from Real after winning your third CL in a row.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                                                                                          With the nice forecast i was gonna head to Bloom for day in the sun over the weekend.

€25 in! What do you get for that? Anyone ever been?
                                                                                                                          I go every year with the family
                                                                                                                          You dont get much for your 25, but there are a shitload of samples and free knick knacks floating around.
                                                                                                                          My wife is there with her dad at the moment and is sending me pics of food/drink all day (the wagon)
                                                                                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X