Irish Poker Boards
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Poker > Poker Theory, Strategy and Rulings > Tournament Poker

Old 30-06-11, 23:10   #41
Bubbleking
Always loved Keano

the reason I said fold pre is because if you dont know what to do when yo flop top 2 then it goes without sayong you should just muck pre

Its alright for Jos to say he'll call pre because hes pretty good post flop
Bubbleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 01-07-11, 16:24   #42
BrianByrne

Thank you for all your responses, will take on board a lot of what has been said.

Not that it matters but for anyone interested, I folded to his 4bet All in and he showed 10 4

Top and Bottom

Again really appreciate all the feedback.
BrianByrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 01-07-11, 17:18   #43
DeadParrot
Grand High Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianByrne View Post
Thank you for all your responses, will take on board a lot of what has been said.

Not that it matters but for anyone interested, I folded to his 4bet All in and he showed 10 4

Top and Bottom

Again really appreciate all the feedback.
lol.
We really think too much about these things sometimes.
DeadParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Old 02-07-11, 00:26   #44
blaaaaaaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmet View Post
what's the difference between 106o and 83o.

Genuinely?
You can flop a straight with 106

My Poker Blog http://jason-tompkins.blogspot.com
My twitter http://twitter.com/#!/blaaaaaah666
blaaaaaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-11, 01:20   #45
Emmet
Bashful the next day

and what hands do we stack on an 789 flop?

56, 77, 88, 99, JT. But nobody really has any of these in a limped pot. (or shouldn't)

So there's one particular (and particularly scary) flop that we can hit massively, to not give us the nuts, and we're happy to get it in on.

Just doesn't make sense to me. I just think we're massively overestimating our implied odds here.
Emmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-11, 02:58   #46
Carl_Morrissey

Quote:

56, 77, 88, 99, JT. But nobody really has any of these in a limped pot. (or shouldn't)

So there's one particular (and particularly scary) flop that we can hit massively, to not give us the nuts, and we're happy to get it in on.

Just doesn't make sense to me. I just think we're massively overestimating our implied odds here.
Just to chime in on this... I've played a ton of small buy in live, hands you mentioned turn up in limped pots all the time with JT being the live limp magnet!

For Brian I'm limping pre as you did. Don't like the 3 bet if you're not snapping off a shove, I'd maybe flat call when he raises you. As played call and expect to be good. I assume the guy with 10 4 gave the auld "THEY WERE SOOOTED" speech proudly showing his 10 fucking 4.
Carl_Morrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-11, 09:14   #47
Emmet
Bashful the next day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl_Morrissey View Post
Just to chime in on this... I've played a ton of small buy in live, hands you mentioned turn up in limped pots all the time with JT being the live limp magnet!

For Brian I'm limping pre as you did. Don't like the 3 bet if you're not snapping off a shove, I'd maybe flat call when he raises you. As played call and expect to be good. I assume the guy with 10 4 gave the auld "THEY WERE SOOOTED" speech proudly showing his 10 fucking 4.
which absolutely crushes us.
Old 02-07-11, 13:19   #48
Carl_Morrissey

Quote:
which absolutely crushes us.
It does but there's very specific flops where we play a big pot with the T6. This happens to be one of them. If it comes T25 for example we lose maybe one bet OOP.
Carl_Morrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 03-07-11, 01:38   #49
blaaaaaaah

Quote:

In those games they have all of the above in limp pots which rates 106 worth playing. Even the start of bigger tourneys ppl limp 56 sooted 78 89 77 etc in first level. Also post flop play I'm sure u can work out how to play 2pair better than op n other simple situations where u flop a 10 n checks round and you bet low turn and take down the pot or get a call by what u know is weaker hand. You get the blinds and limpers money just for 50 chips. It's worth playing overall imo anyway. I'd have no probs if you choose to fold it tho.

My Poker Blog http://jason-tompkins.blogspot.com
My twitter http://twitter.com/#!/blaaaaaah666
blaaaaaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 03-07-11, 02:06   #50
gillespie101
Banned

Send a message via MSN to gillespie101
had a similar hand to this in a local game last week... may post it up tomorrow to see what you guys think was a bit weird how it played out so would like you guys opinions
gillespie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-11, 03:38   #51
ghostface
Drunken assault fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl_Morrissey View Post
It does but there's very specific flops where we play a big pot with the T6. This happens to be one of them. If it comes T25 for example we lose maybe one bet OOP.
But it happens so rarely IMO that you should fold pre and are just burning chips in the log run
ghostface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-11, 04:50   #52
Bubbleboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface ste View Post
But it happens so rarely IMO that you should fold pre and are just burning chips in the log run
It would take 150 completed limps at this blind level to burn our chips and I'm pretty sure commiting half a blind is affordable enough here as long as we are comfortable with our post flop play in multi way pots.Because OP clearly isn't then maybe he should have folded pre here.Its worth a limp for the following reason: the way the hand has played out...GET THEM IN NOW.Live players at this level are terrible.He showed you cos he was sure he was good We shouldn't be waiting around for kings and aces in the blinds at this buyin and level as they will probably be cracked anyway!

With regards to 10-6 pf in general obviously you CAN fold too,I would set a (very rough) guideline for myself of something like folding when we have less than 50bb and calling with stack above this.Just really don't think it's fair for posters to say fold pre and nothing else.10-6o OOP usually doesn't flop to0 well,but when it does,it goes a little something like it did.

Its easy to say after spoiler but:Op you did everything right IMO except the fold to the all in,accurate range described as over pairs,a-10,K-10,straight draw,less two pair and same hand.Sets don't show up here often enough to fold and Cooler when they show the set which as stated would be a poor 5 bet all in.
Bubbleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-11, 11:30   #53

He doesn't mean this stack he eans your tournament stack in general, i.e., if you always complete with 106 in the SB you will lose more chips than you win in the long run.
8611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-11, 11:54   #54
Hectorjelly

It probably is -EV in the long run to complete with T6o, but a good player is probably losing a 20th of a blind every time they do it, I'd complete here out of boredom.
Hectorjelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 05-07-11, 12:05   #55
IPB Champ
Not anytime soon

Shove pre and table the 10 6o, grow a pair ffs .
IPB Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-11, 14:01   #56
KK82

People say it's unprofitable to complete here with 10 6, but there's no way I'm not doing it here getting 9/1, this deep. Also, if Brian makes the call on the flop he should have here, he's freerolling for quite some time on completing his small blind.
I think generally with hands like that you're not gonna lose too much. If you miss, it's pretty easy to lay down.
KK82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 05-07-11, 16:07   #57
Bubbleboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8611 View Post
He doesn't mean this stack he eans your tournament stack in general, i.e., if you always complete with 106 in the SB you will lose more chips than you win in the long run.
Point taken and probably true unless you run like Jesus with 10-6o but at the early stage of these tournaments you are thinking about getting a stack and risking 50 more into 450 for the chances of flopping a monster and getting stack x 2 at this stage is surely worth it.
Bubbleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-11, 15:33   #58
carlinrose

Quote:
Fold pre
Love a genius. If he folded pre there would be no question to answer. So why put in a response like this???
carlinrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-11, 16:10   #59
Emmet
Bashful the next day

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlinrose View Post
Love a genius. If he folded pre there would be no question to answer. So why put in a response like this???
because the idea of these threads is to discuss optimal play.

If he'd 3bet 106o, and bet flop and turn with an gutshot, and got to the river with two overcards there and asked if he should shove, I'd still tell him to fold pre.

I prefer to answer the question that will help someone with the game, not with an anecdotal situation that they shouldn't have gotten involved in.

you'll note that I also have 2 other posts in this thread explaining why we should fold the oul T6o pre in this spot. As if that needed clarification.

it's not genius, but it's smart alright.

Last edited by Emmet; 07-07-11 at 16:15.
Old 07-07-11, 16:51   #60
Hectorjelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlinrose View Post
A lot of times the question the OP asks is irrelevant because of earlier mistakes
Hectorjelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish Poker Boards > Poker > Poker Theory, Strategy and Rulings > Tournament Poker