Running (up that hill)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
    This may have been covered before but any suggestions on how to deal with shin splints?

I've always suffered from them but I used to be able to run them off and they'd go away within a few minutes.

Now they are worse than ever whereby even if I do a half decent paced walk, they kick in and running is unbelievably painful. There is no chance of running it off.
    I haven't had the pleasure of shin splints but they're a chronic vs acute injury so I suspect the underlying cause will need to be addressed opposed to any short term fix, I have a similar situation with plantar fasciitis but this is new for me.
    Rolling my foot out gives immediate relief but working my calves is the LT fix. Unusual in a scenario like this the LT fix is easier to do.

I find the AthLean-X guy on YouTube very good, none on shin splints but he has some running mechanics stuff so perhaps something to look at, best of luck with it.

Running training has been poor as of late because of the injury mentioned above, not sure what to do about the upcoming races.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
      20:26 at Corkagh parkrun this morning. Used it as a tune up race for Bob Heffernan which is Tue week.

Delighted with it, it's a nice pb, but I've a bit of work to do.

Couple of things going for me though.

Tune ups are supposed to be slower than your target race, as you don't have the benefit of a full taper. Also, BH is a faster course than Corkagh.

Fingers crossed. I'm confident I'll do it (sub 20) at some stage over the summer.

Training is working though. Ran 21:39 with my guts out back in Jan just before beginning this block, so a decent improvement.

Get the fook in!!

19:56

Can't describe how happy I am right now.
      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Good on ya Lazare, serious progress on show!

Comment

Well done! Great time
            Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Get the fook in!!

Hard work pays off. Well done.

Now trip report :-)

Comment

Fair play Laz, that’s a serious milestone! Begs the question...what’s next?!

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                  Wimmins mini marathon . Top 50 in drag . (Will pay)

Comment

Gonna stay focussed on 5k until prob next summer, try keep chipping away at it. I'll race the South Dub 10k, but other than that all 5k. Want to break 20 at Corkagh parkrun. That's the next goal. I just love 5k training so much.

Have DCM 2020 simmering away in the back of my mind too. Two years of solid training should allow me to settle a score with it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Aul Switcharoo View Post
                      I joined for the craic. Will never be a runner but doing a 10k for charity in October so tipping away a couple nights a week. Will hope for a sub 1hr one.
                      Quoted to show how addictive running is

Did Stoneyford 10k the other day. My 2nd 10k race in 48.34

Next up is the Waterford half

Comment

Originally posted by The Aul Switcharoo View Post
                        Quoted to show how addictive running is

Did Stoneyford 10k the other day. My 2nd 10k race in 48.34

Next up is the Waterford half
                        Fantastic stuff man, love reading this

Comment

Gonna stay focussed on 5k until prob next summer, try keep chipping away at it. I'll race the South Dub 10k, but other than that all 5k. Want to break 20 at Corkagh parkrun. That's the next goal. I just love 5k training so much.

Have DCM 2020 simmering away in the back of my mind too. Two years of solid training should allow me to settle a score with it.
                          Good stuff, I must go out to Corcagh for the Craic some Saturday, you can show me a clean pair of soles!
                          I’m going to defo get sub 50 10km by end of the month, 50:40 yesterday and loads more left in me...kind of! Must go back and check my goals from a month ago now after seeing TAS post above.

Comment

Get the fook in!!

Well done and well deserved, whats the secret?

Comment

Originally posted by digiman View Post
                              Well done and well deserved, whats the secret?
                              Thanks man.

Patience I suppose.

Followed a really good training plan from Faster Road Racing. Get yourself that book if you don't already have it. It took 20 weeks total, 8 weeks of base building and 12 weeks of the plan.

Took a lot of discipline back in Jan not to skip the 8 week base phase, which is just all easy running, no fast stuff, no pb chasing. Had races picked out in early March and all. Stuck to it though and got the head down. Was tough back in January knowing you weren't gonna have a crack at it until May.

If I had've skipped that base I wouldn't have ran close to it, I'd most likely be injured.

So yeah, patience, seeing it as a long game.

I'm race ready now for the whole Summer.

Comment

As I was setting out on my jog last night I said to myself to try to do just 1k at 20mins Pace, (ie about 4 mins). After 600-700m I was getting delirious and having hallucinations. I’m sure I saw Kurt Cobain laughing at me. Both of my legs were instantly turned to stone and my normal achilles tendon cracking noise was sending morse code to my brain to SHUT DOWN ALL SYSTEM IMMEDIATELY>

Think I need 3 stone off. Not happening.

Comment

Give it time Willie, build your mileage up over a couple of months of easy running and the gains will come. Endurance and weight loss.

You've done some superb stuff in the past, no reason why you can't be a competitive masters runner.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                    As I was setting out on my jog last night I said to myself to try to do just 1k at 20mins Pace, (ie about 4 mins).
                                    Unless you were doing a k at 4:30 pace last week you aren't going to be doing more than 100M at 4 pace IMO

Last night we did the PWC relay in the park one my friends ran his first sub 20 5K in it which is amazing considering the hill and the amount of grass running involved... I struggled to what would to a normal human who had any self awareness or concern for how he looks in public be an embarrassing 34 minute lap. FFS!
                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Give it time Willie, build your mileage up over a couple of months of easy running and the gains will come. Endurance and weight loss.

You've done some superb stuff in the past, no reason why you can't be a competitive masters runner.
                                      Lol I'll just have to keep jogging whilst ye guys run. Old age etc. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                        Unless you were doing a k at 4:30 pace last week you aren't going to be doing more than 100M at 4 pace IMO

Last night we did the PWC relay in the park one my friends ran his first sub 20 5K in it which is amazing considering the hill and the amount of grass running involved... I struggled to what would to a normal human who had any self awareness or concern for how he looks in public be an embarrassing 34 minute lap. FFS!
                                        Was on target at 600m but the legs said. Noooo

Running not much faster than you at the moment. 26min 5k pace with quick breaks if I think death is looking at me.

Comment

26 is a helluva lot faster than 34

Comment

26 is a helluva lot faster than 34
                                            Well it's all relative . I consider that range to be jogging. The extra baggage is probably good training. Not sure i want to be the slim again though. Photos show a gaunt looking yoke.

My running form

Last edited by Solksjaer!; 23-05-19, 14:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                              Was on target at 600m but the legs said. Noooo

Running not much faster than you at the moment. 26min 5k pace with quick breaks if I think death is looking at me.
                                              For someone just getting back into it that's good pace

Be patient I'd ssy

Comment

Check this out! Those 1k splits are mental, fastest 1k was 35 in!

Comment

Managed a PR at my local park run this weekend. Got 20:58 which was a 45s PR compared to my previous PR which was 3 years ago!!

It's annoying me though that the Garmin is showing the course up as 4.84km and has pretty consitently measured it short over the last few years and different watches give the same result. Either way I'm on the right track and hopefully get to sub 20 this year.

Comment

Managed a PR at my local park run this weekend. Got 20:58 which was a 45s PR compared to my previous PR which was 3 years ago!!

It's annoying me though that the Garmin is showing the course up as 4.84km and has pretty consitently measured it short over the last few years and different watches give the same result. Either way I'm on the right track and hopefully get to sub 20 this year.
                                                    Nice one!! Must give you the oul kudos on Strava.

I wouldn't worry about the course measuring short, that's always a gps issue rather than the course actually being short.

Are you doing any 5k specific training?

Comment

Nice one!! Must give you the oul kudos on Strava.

I wouldn't worry about the course measuring short, that's always a gps issue rather than the course actually being short.

Are you doing any 5k specific training?
                                                      Thanks, actually measured it out on Google Earth there and it's 5km exactly alright. Makes me wonder why my Garmin watch isn't able to record it more accurately given the price of GPS watches. That is really annoying me that's it's not consistent at all. Happy for it to be out a bit over a marathon but on a 5km it shouldn't be out by much more than 50m I don't think.

I'm trying to follow this plan but have not been consistent in the last month or 2 due to severe blisters on my foot for the last 2-3 weeks. Wore poor quality socks for a longish run and foot has been in bits since so have been trying to ease off. More or less healed now so hoping to follow it better for next few weeks as I'm running a 5km race on 16th June. Won't be a 20min 5km but will hope to cut the gap a bit more.

Sub 20 5k training plan tailored to your specific required race pace (6:25 p/mile). Speed Intervals sessions, hill sprints, tempo runs & more.

Comment

Thanks, actually measured it out on Google Earth there and it's 5km exactly alright. Makes me wonder why my Garmin watch isn't able to record it more accurately given the price of GPS watches. That is really annoying me that's it's not consistent at all. Happy for it to be out a bit over a marathon but on a 5km it shouldn't be out by much more than 50m I don't think.

I'm trying to follow this plan but have not been consistent in the last month or 2 due to severe blisters on my foot for the last 2-3 weeks. Wore poor quality socks for a longish run and foot has been in bits since so have been trying to ease off. More or less healed now so hoping to follow it better for next few weeks as I'm running a 5km race on 16th June. Won't be a 20min 5km but will hope to cut the gap a bit more.

https://www.runningfastr.com/5k-trai...training-plan/
                                                        Is there much tree cover where you run? I remember racing a 10k in Donadea forest and I think by the end the watch was saying I ran 9.4 or something, totally rendered it useless during the run too, pace was all over the shop. Just a few trees will shorten the distance on you.

Some solid workouts in that plan, am I reading it right that it's 4 weeks total?

Those interval rep sessions are key, works your V02max, I'd focus on nailing them. Endurance is key too though, getting yourself up to 30-40 miles a week with a lot of aerobic running will get you there.

There's a particular endurance long run I've been doing and I think it's made all the difference for me. You start easy and build the pace finishing strong. For me that was starting at 5:55/km gradually building to 5:15. Try a couple of those on your Sunday long runs.

Comment

Also, check other people's strava who've ran that parkrun and see if they're out by similar.

A friend of mine runs Malahide every week which has a fair bit of tree cover and I've just checked his last one and it measures 4.83.

Comment

Is there much tree cover where you run? I remember racing a 10k in Donadea forest and I think by the end the watch was saying I ran 9.4 or something, totally rendered it useless during the run too, pace was all over the shop. Just a few trees will shorten the distance on you.

Some solid workouts in that plan, am I reading it right that it's 4 weeks total?

Those interval rep sessions are key, works your V02max, I'd focus on nailing them. Endurance is key too though, getting yourself up to 30-40 miles a week with a lot of aerobic running will get you there.

There's a particular endurance long run I've been doing and I think it's made all the difference for me. You start easy and build the pace finishing strong. For me that was starting at 5:55/km gradually building to 5:15. Try a couple of those on your Sunday long runs.
                                                            In that workout he says to just keep repeating it basically. You should be quite close to your target I guess by the time you start, if you are not then he has a slower one that you should try first.

I bought this on Sunday night, have to wait 5/6 for it to come but will report on how good it is. There are quite a lot of positive reviews about it online.

Comment

...Managed 5km on threadmill last night...First time I've managed 5km in nearly a year, I'm dreadfully unfit...Did it in 36:30, which included a few walking breaks...But happy I managed it, so will work on getting it down the next while...

Comment

In that workout he says to just keep repeating it basically. You should be quite close to your target I guess by the time you start, if you are not then he has a slower one that you should try first.

I bought this on Sunday night, have to wait 5/6 for it to come but will report on how good it is. There are quite a lot of positive reviews about it online.

https://store.stryd.com/
                                                                Have spent a while browsing that link and still can't figure out what it is. What does it do?

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
                                                                  ...Managed 5km on threadmill last night...First time I've managed 5km in nearly a year, I'm dreadfully unfit...Did it in 36:30, which included a few walking breaks...But happy I managed it, so will work on getting it down the next while...
                                                                  Nice one!

Comment

Have spent a while browsing that link and still can't figure out what it is. What does it do?
                                                                    Found an article online, basically helps you run by effort rather than pace. Had never heard of it.

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
                                                                      That’s great, ignore all the 20min talk in here, but what’s cool is that you know if you keep going at it regularly you’ll be at 30mins pretty soon and it’s the progress that keeps you going.

Found an article online, basically helps you run by effort rather than pace. Had never heard of it.
                                                                      Mate of mine who cycles loves it as you can apparently run at 160bpm all day but 175+ is a burning match. Saw a guys strava recently who ran a 15min 5km and each km was 190+ bpm, mad Ted.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                        Check this out! Those 1k splits are mental, fastest 1k was 35 in!

https://www.strava.com/activities/2292639868
                                                                        His last 5km was 14:56 FFs...

Comment

Mate of mine who cycles loves it as you can apparently run at 160bpm all day but 175+ is a burning match. Saw a guys strava recently who ran a 15min 5km and each km was 190+ bpm, mad Ted.
                                                                          A HR strap will do that. Dunno, seems a bit gimmicky for that sort of $$.

Comment

That’s great, ignore all the 20min talk in here, but what’s cool is that you know if you keep going at it regularly you’ll be at 30mins pretty soon and it’s the progress that keeps you going.

My HR at the parkrun on Saturday peaked at 196bpm!! I'm 34 and the averages for each 1km are as below:

Lap Distance Time Pace GAP HR
                                                                            1 1.00 km 4:10 4:10 /km 4:09 /km 171 bpm
                                                                            2 1.00 km 4:27 4:27 /km 4:24 /km 181 bpm
                                                                            3 1.00 km 4:21 4:21 /km 4:10 /km 185 bpm
                                                                            4 1.00 km 4:27 4:27 /km 4:21 /km 187 bpm
                                                                            5 0.82 km 3:32 4:16 /km 4:05 /km 192 bpm

HR data is from a chest strap which is pretty accurate IMO as I've used multiple ones over the years and I always hit into the 190s at the end of a 5km race but 196 is a new record for me. My resting HR is also quite low, usually between 45 and 50 which is a good thing.

Comment

My HR at the parkrun on Saturday peaked at 196bpm!! I'm 34 and the averages for each 1km are as below:

Lap Distance Time Pace GAP HR
                                                                              1 1.00 km 4:10 4:10 /km 4:09 /km 171 bpm
                                                                              2 1.00 km 4:27 4:27 /km 4:24 /km 181 bpm
                                                                              3 1.00 km 4:21 4:21 /km 4:10 /km 185 bpm
                                                                              4 1.00 km 4:27 4:27 /km 4:21 /km 187 bpm
                                                                              5 0.82 km 3:32 4:16 /km 4:05 /km 192 bpm

HR data is from a chest strap which is pretty accurate IMO as I've used multiple ones over the years and I always hit into the 190s at the end of a 5km race but 196 is a new record for me. My resting HR is also quite low, usually between 45 and 50 which is a good thing.
                                                                              That would suggest I’m possibly not trying hard enough. All of my good times were with 176 max HR, I’ve never attempted to get above 190. Where does fitness come in then, if you’re fitter do you do the same work for a lower heart rate?

Finished my 100km in May Challenge today, with a 49:47 10km, delighted with that tbh, and really battled for the last km to try to get sub 50mins. 4:39 final km was tough to achieve but happy with it. Played golf yesterday and tag so maybe with a bit of rest I could beat it but excited to see where I can go. 56:51 was my PB at the start of May so 7mins off that in a month, but can’t see that progress returning in June!

Comment

That would suggest I’m possibly not trying hard enough. All of my good times were with 176 max HR, I’ve never attempted to get above 190. Where does fitness come in then, if you’re fitter do you do the same work for a lower heart rate?
                                                                                There's no corelation between Max heart rate and fitness. Nor intensity for that matter. One person's 160 could be another person's 180. That's why training intensity is based on % of mHR or similar.

Max HR is supposed to be 220-age. But that's a rough average. Individuals could run higher or lower easily.

Comment

Nice one Joe, some progress.

Imagine what you could achieve if you slowed down.

Comment

jogged 3 miserable K tonight, my new pet hate , SNAILS, no not fellow joggers but actual snails, crunch crunch crunch. Arrrrgh get off the fucking pitch.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                      There's no corelation between Max heart rate and fitness. Nor intensity for that matter. One person's 160 could be another person's 180. That's why training intensity is based on % of mHR or similar.

Max HR is supposed to be 220-age. But that's a rough average. Individuals could run higher or lower easily.
                                                                                      But surely through training someone can change their max heart Rate? If not they surely those who can run sustainably at lower/heart rates are at an advantage?

Comment

I have an entry for the sold out Thoroughbred 10k this weekend if anyone wants it.

My foot still isn't right so if anyone wants it let me know. You'll probably have to run under my name but I have the race number so no issue picking it up.

Comment

I also have an entry to Hell & Back for Saturday if anyone wants it

Comment

Slackers

Comment

Did Father Collins Park parkrun on Saturday morning, as needed to be over that side of town immediately afterwards. Wanted to do Darndale to finally get the '1st place in a parkrun' monkey off my back but it wasn't to be, idea nixed by herself as Father Collins Park is much nicer and has a playground. Will do Darndale in the future though.

Very fast course, managed to go around in 20.23, fastest time since my one and only sub-20 on January 1st. Very surprising as haven't been running at all recently, have had a sore ankle for about 6 weeks now and have been taking it very easy as a result.

Got my first road race of the year, the Docklands 5K, coming up on Thursday and am not expecting too much but will hopefully get around 20.30 or so now, did it last year in 27 degree heat so this Thursday will be a little more suitable in terms of running conditions, assuming the rain stays off

Comment

Best of luck with it Paul. Was going to enter myself, would love a crack at it but it's too close to one I'm running on the 28th. Supposed to be a quick one, you'll do better than 20:30 I would think.

Comment

So, did the Docklands 5K in 20:28 net time, 10 seconds slower than last year. Not a surprise at all, haven't been able to put in any volume this year at all, mainly due to various niggles. Think the course was slightly long this year as well (it's been remarked upon elsewhere and I noticed my Garmin recorded it long on the day), which may add a few seconds to my tally!

Decided to run Marlay parkrun this morning, 38 hours or so after the Docklands and really felt it, had to stop and walk for the first time in literally years. Went around in 21:15 or so despite that. Volunteered as a token sorter after my run was done so nice to get a run AND a volunteering credit in on the same day No Marlay parkruns for the next three weekends due to concerts (prep, actually event and clean up), so other south Dublin parkruns will be much busier as a result, mainly Bushy Park I think, but probably also Tymon and Cabinteely.

Comment

Solid time Paul off the back of little training, very impressive.

Wouldn't worry about having to walk a bit at parkrun, standard enough after a hard effort. It's at least a week before the legs are ready to go again.

Comment

I haven't been doing a lot myself with the plantar fasciitis. I never knew it was so debilitating until now.

I've gone back lifting weights properly again but more focus on some fundamentals, reducing the weight, bigger range of movement so hoping with the mobility training and some extra leg work I'll be back.

GF's bro in law was due to do the Youghal Ironman today, I suspect he was somewhat hoping to use it as a qualifier for World Championship in Kona. Unfortunately as suspected the swim was called off so it doesn't count, it's just a duathlon.
                                                                                                      Its recieved quite a lot of criticism in the lead up due to the unpredictability of the water. I'd say there is an awful lot of frustrated people down there today, 10-15mm of rain expected.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                                                        I haven't been doing a lot myself with the plantar fasciitis. I never knew it was so debilitating until now.

I've gone back lifting weights properly again but more focus on some fundamentals, reducing the weight, bigger range of movement so hoping with the mobility training and some extra leg work I'll be back.

GF's bro in law was due to do the Youghal Ironman today, I suspect he was somewhat hoping to use it as a qualifier for World Championship in Kona. Unfortunately as suspected the swim was called off so it doesn't count, it's just a duathlon.
                                                                                                        Its recieved quite a lot of criticism in the lead up due to the unpredictability of the water. I'd say there is an awful lot of frustrated people down there today, 10-15mm of rain expected.
                                                                                                        That cycle looked horrendous too in the weather, lots of people walking the bikes up the hill. I’d have though the east Coasts calmer waters would suit an event like that better? Was that the first official iron man in Ireland?

Comment

That cycle looked horrendous too in the weather, lots of people walking the bikes up the hill. I’d have though the east Coasts calmer waters would suit an event like that better? Was that the first official iron man in Ireland?
                                                                                                          Its the first 140, there has been a 70 in Dublin the last few years. At least once the swim in Scotsmans bay, Dun Laoghaire was shortened because of weather.

Comment

Its the first 140, there has been a 70 in Dublin the last few years. At least once the swim in Scotsmans bay, Dun Laoghaire was shortened because of weather.
                                                                                                            Was it SP? They've had two halfs though I think? I'm just wondering because GFs bro in law qualified for the worlds out of it and I didnt think you could unless it was completed?

I suspect Youghal wont get it again after yesterday.

Comment

Going to try 100km again this month, aiming for a new 5km and 10km PB this month.

Comment

Did 32km total in June (maybe another 10km on the treadmill), not great considering the weather was pretty good Can't shake this niggly minor injury to my left leg, just feels like the bones above my ankle start to ache after 1km or so with every run over the past two months or so.

Did a new parkrun on Saturday, Tolka Valley. My slowest in a long time, 21.44 - one week after stopping to walk for the first time in forever, I had to stop TWICE on Saturday morning! Not sure what was going on, though my first three 1km splits were 4.03, 4.06 and 4.07 so probably was just gassed on a very muggy morning after a poor night's sleep. Final two splits were 4.31 and 4.50!!!

Think I might completely stop running for a few weeks and see if that fixes the niggle.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                                                  Did 32km total in June (maybe another 10km on the treadmill), not great considering the weather was pretty good Can't shake this niggly minor injury to my left leg, just feels like the bones above my ankle start to ache after 1km or so with every run over the past two months or so.

Did a new parkrun on Saturday, Tolka Valley. My slowest in a long time, 21.44 - one week after stopping to walk for the first time in forever, I had to stop TWICE on Saturday morning! Not sure what was going on, though my first three 1km splits were 4.03, 4.06 and 4.07 so probably was just gassed on a very muggy morning after a poor night's sleep. Final two splits were 4.31 and 4.50!!!

Think I might completely stop running for a few weeks and see if that fixes the niggle.
                                                                                                                  That's the culprit. Even in my gazelle days I'd struggle without sleep . Considering you are stopping, they are good times.

Comment

It's the half way point of the year and I've notched up 430km of my 500km target en route to 1,000km by Dec 31.

I put in my 701st tracked run during the week. This got me thinking that I should be on for hitting 1,000 tracked runs in the next 3 years. That'll take me up to 50 years old then I'll take stock and decide if I continue with running or get into something else, cycling being the most likely.

I'm doing the Clontarf half marathon on Saturday morning. Last year it was 30+ degrees and a slow 2:21.

Would be nice to beat my recent Wexford time of 2:13 to show some progress I suppose but I'm not that hopeful really. Making up the missing 70km in the coming weeks is top priority.

Comment

3 months without training while I recovered from injury/surgery.
                                                                                                                      Gonna have to dip a toe into cardio again

Comment

2:19:38 for Clontarf. Faster than last year and Wicklow but slower than Wexford.

Funny old day for it. Quite muggy for the first half but a nice bit of drizzle. The beach was pretty much single file along a two-person wide stretch of the most compact sand. Legs really felt it there this year for sure.

Return half of the course saw the drizzle pick up and a nice breeze on the way back. Expected to see lots of walkers on the beach but there was WAY less than usual, assuming the cooler weather helped.

Finished with a bit more kick than usual but not enough to negate the plodding first half.

Probably do one more before year end, maybe Phoenix Park in September or Clontarf again in November.

Next goal is simply to pick up the 70km I'm behind on my target.

Comment

Nice one Joe, some progress.

Imagine what you could achieve if you slowed down.
                                                                                                                          Did the pool beg park run on Saturday, really happy to keep chipping away at times there, down to 23mins. Then I went for a 5km run about half hour later to get miles in and even managed a 7.06min Km just for you Laz!

Going to attempt 100km again in July 16km in so far, think I’ll try some early morning ones again.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X