Irish Poker Boards
Irish Open 2019 - 2
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games

Old 14-02-19, 13:53   #981
Tar.Aldarion

Send a message via MSN to Tar.Aldarion Send a message via Skype™ to Tar.Aldarion
Finished Good Omens by Terry Pratchett/Neil Gaiman. It was ok, good enough, probably a 6/7 out of 10. Main problem was not caring about the characters too much but some bits were very good. Plus having read like 30 Pratchett books - it is the worst one.

Still in the middle of listening to Sherlock Holmes, didn't realise there was so much of the bastards so i come and go from it.

Starting Espedair Street by Iain Banks later, didn't realise he had non scifi books at all until now (he writes those under Iain M. Banks).
Old 15-02-19, 19:43   #982
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

Cool reading list. Read about half this list and loved it, so presumably the unread half is amazing too. Contemporary Cult Fiction.

As a start got two Pasha Adams books from the list. Don't know who he/she is but their books look amazing. Got American Asshole and Keep Santa Monica Clean.
Hitchhiker's Guide To... is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 19-02-19, 19:59   #983
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

Absolutely loving A Year of Living Danishly. It's a standard format of: moving abroad for a year and marvel at how foreigners do things differently. But the author does it really well and the setting is fascinating. I'd highly recommend. Only casual reading, but well worth it.
2 Thanks From:
Old 02-03-19, 20:53   #984
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

Only a bit through Steven Pinker Enlightenment Now, but it grabs your attention within the first 20 pages. It's going to be amazing. I mention this just in case anyone else was similarly put off by it being rather long.

Big fan of the current fiction read. Turtles all the way down. Bit unconventional of a read as it skirts into feelings and stuff, but very very nice. Has a vague sense of an all-time classic American novel about it.
2 Thanks From:
Old 02-03-19, 21:40   #985
Murdrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
Only a bit through Steven Pinker Enlightenment Now, but it grabs your attention within the first 20 pages. It's going to be amazing. I mention this just in case anyone else was similarly put off by it being rather long.

Big fan of the current fiction read. Turtles all the way down. Bit unconventional of a read as it skirts into feelings and stuff, but very very nice. Has a vague sense of an all-time classic American novel about it.
Enlightenment Now is excellent, better than Factfulness imo and I think you're reading them in the correct order. The former seems like a more in-depth nuanced version of the latter that credits the English Enlightenment as the inflection point of rationality.

Imo it's not a great book on audible due to the amount of accompanying graphs
Murdrum is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 02-03-19, 21:58   #986
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

Yeah I'm reading it precisely because you said that before! It does seem a level up.
Old 03-03-19, 15:36   #987
Denny Crane
Undefeated

Atomic Habits is excellent

Denny Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Old 03-03-19, 16:15   #988
Murdrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Crane View Post
Atomic Habits is excellent
Almost finished and couldn't agree more, it blows Duhigg's Power of Habit out of the water.
Thanks From:
Old 07-03-19, 09:06   #989
Tar.Aldarion

Send a message via MSN to Tar.Aldarion Send a message via Skype™ to Tar.Aldarion
Read another couple Sherlock Holmes books, really good. Finished Espedair Street, great writing and character creation, just the subject matter wasn't for me. Liked the story overall, just not gripping me to get there.

However, I have just started "The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle" and this book is the opposite, completely gripping, love it so far. The audio version is fantastic. It's about a murder that takes place at an isolated British mansion wedding, with a twist. The day is replayed 7 times, each day you are reliving the events from the point of view of a different person (kindof ), can you solve who did it?

Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 07-03-19 at 09:09.
Tar.Aldarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-19, 09:27   #990
PSV58

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...abitable-earth
The uninhabitable earth
Sobering read , not complete doom and gloom but terrifying enough all the same
For adults only, if you prefer feel good mind candy like Pinker you might not be able for it
PSV58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-19, 09:47   #991
Murdrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSV58 View Post
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...abitable-earth
The uninhabitable earth
Sobering read , not complete doom and gloom but terrifying enough all the same
For adults only, if you prefer feel good mind candy like Pinker you might not be able for it
I didnt spot this i shoukd have confined the chat to here to avoid a debate I'm sure nobody wants to read.

However you'd probably enjoy George Monbiot Out of the Wreckage and How did we get into this mess.

Both on my list but I haven't got around to them yet. Still trying to be in a happy bubble and all.

Obviously if you want some non-Pinker balance you could check out Matt Ridleys Rational Optimist and obviously Roslings Factfulness
Old 07-03-19, 10:06   #992
PSV58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murdrum View Post
I didnt spot this i shoukd have confined the chat to here to avoid a debate I'm sure nobody wants to read.

However you'd probably enjoy George Monbiot Out of the Wreckage and How did we get into this mess.

Both on my list but I haven't got around to them yet. Still trying to be in a happy bubble and all.

Obviously if you want some non-Pinker balance you could check out Matt Ridleys Rational Optimist and obviously Roslings Factfulness
Will add the last 2 to my list for balance. Pinker can go to hell though!
PSV58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 17-03-19, 23:54   #993
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Western_Sean View Post
Bruno Chief of police series by Martin Walker - these are a nice set of procedurals set in the Perigord area of France. They are just a nice comfortable read nothing demanding but pleasurable in their way.
First book of this is great.

Got the Bannelac one you posted on Goodreads. My colleague in work was raving about Bannelac. She visits all the scenes of his novels. Which might be a weird activity, but she is weird (in a good way). I see the first one is set in the beautiful Pont-Aven.
Thanks From:
Old 18-03-19, 05:24   #994
Western_Sean

Quote:
First book of this is great.

Got the Bannelac one you posted on Goodreads. My colleague in work was raving about Bannelac. She visits all the scenes of his novels. Which might be a weird activity, but she is weird (in a good way). I see the first one is set in the beautiful Pont-Aven.
Glad you enjoyed it. I think they get better after the first one, I was sorry to reach the end of the series. Lovely part of France too.

Bannelac it turns out is a pen name for a German guy. That I think and the breton setting probably help explain the odd tone of the book. It was a well constructed mystery but I didn't find myself warming to the characters. I was reading it between things though so that might be a factor. Be interested to hear how you find it.
Western_Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-19, 10:01   #995
Murdrum

In light of a IPB poster releasing a book recently, I'm sure it's worth adding to the reading list, not sure if it's on Goodreads but Amazon link

Thanks From:
Old 18-03-19, 12:55   #996
Western_Sean

Quote:
I am Pilgrim

A recommendation from Shraaaap last year and a barmstormer of a read. Thrillers done great. Nothing stand out, just that lovely comfort of a classic pageturner done well.
Really entertained by this - great recommendation.

Also just finished How not to be wrong: The Power of Mathematical Thinking which I also really enjoyed - hat tip to Denny (I think?) for that one. A really good and well-written treatment of what can be a difficult topic.
Western_Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 18-03-19, 15:58   #997
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Western_Sean View Post
Glad you enjoyed it. I think they get better after the first one, I was sorry to reach the end of the series. Lovely part of France too.

Bannelac it turns out is a pen name for a German guy. That I think and the breton setting probably help explain the odd tone of the book. It was a well constructed mystery but I didn't find myself warming to the characters. I was reading it between things though so that might be a factor. Be interested to hear how you find it.
Ah, my colleague is German, so she might have unduly liked it as a result. Will report back.

Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games