Best phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best phone

I am looking to upgrade, i currently have the iphone 3, but which do ye think is the better phone and why?
    Iphone 4
    40.00%
    HTC desire
    60.00%
    Last edited by TheImprover; 04-11-10, 13:29.

In before HTC is better no iPhone is better no HTC is better etc
    Official Head Marshall of Waterford Gay Pride Festival 2015

Comment

Nokia 3310

Comment

/Thread

Comment

Got a HTC Desire HD last week and its just amazing.

Android is vastly superior to Apple and almost everything is free

That OK Icarus?
          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

HTC Desire.
            "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

It's not even close, Android (HTC Desire, Galaxy S & now the new HTC Desire HD) is a vastly superior platform to iPhone.

With the arrival of the new Android tablets (7" & 10") starting with the new Galaxy Tab your opening up another market again.

Comment

Just bought an iPhone 4 because it will integrate so well with my Mac and I can just port over all my iPod Touch apps that I have become accustomed to.

I had a serious think about the HTC Desire and other Android options but even the best capacitive screens out there have a while to go before catching up with Apple. The Desire felt a bit sluggish to respond when compared to the Apple and while it still may be fast (certainly faster than the resistive screens seen on other smart phones), it wasn't as fast as I was used to or expected. Battery life is similar on most models at the moment so that didn't really come into the equation. I concede that the Androids' offer more customisation options but it would take a lot of tweaking to achieve the same level of comfort and ease of use that the iPhone has out of the box.

Horses for courses, however.

Comment

This thread is great, currently thinking of which phone to buy, iphone 4 or HTC desire.
                  I have just been looking at the HTC on line and looks good but i have used the iphone 3 and was very happy.
                  Danny i will have a look at your HTC at the WSOP tomorrow if you dont mind and then deceide.
                  Any more comments on both phones?

Derek
                  "Money won is twice as sweet as money earned"

Comment

I haven't used the latest Desire, but I used the older one and it seemed like the screen didn't respond anything like as good as the iPhones.

I'm pretty sure android > iOS though...

There's probably not enough between them to make either decision particularly bad...

Comment

No option for those that don't have a clue. :-/

I tied it at 5-5 by voting HTC so I don't have to keep clicking through to see the poll results.
                      Last edited by Lord Sir Banter; 04-11-10, 14:56.
                      X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                      Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Lads just got an xperia x10 and its amazing. just another one to throw in there while thinking. Plus its very easy to get it factory unlocked so u can update to the best software possible instead off having to wait for the jailbreaks

Comment

Originally posted by freerollerrr View Post
                          Lads just got an xperia x10 and its amazing. just another one to throw in there while thinking. Plus its very easy to get it factory unlocked so u can update to the best software possible instead off having to wait for the jailbreaks
                          GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, too many options, i was stuck between the HTC and Iphone4, but i like this one also, just watched the video of it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheImprover View Post
                            GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, too many options, i was stuck between the HTC and Iphone4, but i like this one also, just watched the video of it.
                            Yeah its ridiculously good if ur up at jps game the weekend ur more than welcome to have a look im sure ull prob find all 3 in that room ha so u can choose then.

Comment

I have heard some mixed reviews about the iphone4, but heard on the radio the other day that there is faults with them, apparently when the clocks went back, with the iphone4 if you had an alarm set it did not change to the correct time, and also when you answerer the iphone4 you have to hold it in a specific position or else it will hang up, just some of the comments i have heard.

Comment

Yeah its ridiculously good if ur up at jps game the weekend ur more than welcome to have a look im sure ull prob find all 3 in that room ha so u can choose then.
                                Wont be up there, cant make it unfortunately, but i am kind of leaning towards the HTC, but have not made my mind up yet

Comment

I think if ur poll was android versus iphone android would win hands down. it has about 50000 apps and of those 60% are free compare that with the apple apps and i think uv a winner.

Comment

In the future everybody will have a handheld device which they will be able to use to speak to each other anywhere in the world.

SPOILER
                                    Not in my lifetime buddy. Acid flashback to the early eighties.

Comment

Originally posted by TM2204 View Post
                                      It's not even close, Android (HTC Desire, Galaxy S & now the new HTC Desire HD) is a vastly superior platform to iPhone.

With the arrival of the new Android tablets (7" & 10") starting with the new Galaxy Tab your opening up another market again.

The Galaxy S Tablet looks fooking awesome I have been telling anybody that is thinking about getting an iPad to skip that and get an Android tablet. You would be a fool not to.

Toshiba also have a pretty slick 1 as well the Folio 100 or something.

Originally posted by DeviantD View Post
                                      This thread is great, currently thinking of which phone to buy, iphone 4 or HTC desire.
                                      I have just been looking at the HTC on line and looks good but i have used the iphone 3 and was very happy.
                                      Danny i will have a look at your HTC at the WSOP tomorrow if you dont mind and then deceide.

Derek
                                      Yeah man no probs just give me a shout. There is a new HTC out in the states Evo 4G looks absolutely amazing.

Im a fan of Apple but the HTC is unbelievable. Every report im reading lately has Android eating up market share on iPhone and blasting the Blackberry out of the water.

I like Sony Ericsson phones but im not a fan of that it seems to be too far behind the newest releases of Android wouldnt mind having a look at it tomorrow thou.

Comment

Yea no worries danny might even let ya do an update off it the weekend
                                        Last edited by freerollerrr; 04-11-10, 15:33.

Comment

I think if ur poll was android versus iphone android would win hands down. it has about 50000 apps and of those 60% are free compare that with the apple apps and i think uv a winner.
                                          It's actually pushing 100,000 now...

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                            The Galaxy S Tablet looks fooking awesome I have been telling anybody that is thinking about getting an iPad to skip that and get an Android tablet. You would be a fool not to.

Toshiba also have a pretty slick 1 as well the Folio 100 or something.
                                            Available for around €250 with 3 on their €40 a month plan which isn't bad. A lot cheaper if you need a higher priced plan. All the other carriers have it too.

There are a rake of Android tablets hitting the market with different screen sizes & different prices to suit all.

Android v3 will be optimized to work with the larger tablet screens.

Yeah man no probs just give me a shout. There is a new HTC out in the states Evo 4G looks absolutely amazing.

Im a fan of Apple but the HTC is unbelievable. Every report im reading lately has Android eating up market share on iPhone and blasting the Blackberry out of the water.
                                            The new Desire HD (just launched) is basically the Evo 4g (minus the 4g bit ). Looks like an amazing handset & as i'm contract free () i'm thinking about upgrading

I like Sony Ericsson phones but im not a fan of that it seems to be too far behind the newest releases of Android wouldnt mind having a look at it tomorrow thou.
                                            Another amazing phone is the Samsung Galaxy S; screen is unreal & it's deffo on a par with the HTC Desire.

Comment

but in all honesty u cant beat the nokia 3210 the joys off making ur own crappy sounding ringtones is just out of this world

Comment

Originally posted by AdMMM View Post
                                                Just bought an iPhone 4 because it will integrate so well with my Mac and I can just port over all my iPod Touch apps that I have become accustomed to.

I had a serious think about the HTC Desire and other Android options but even the best capacitive screens out there have a while to go before catching up with Apple. The Desire felt a bit sluggish to respond when compared to the Apple and while it still may be fast (certainly faster than the resistive screens seen on other smart phones), it wasn't as fast as I was used to or expected. Battery life is similar on most models at the moment so that didn't really come into the equation. I concede that the Androids' offer more customisation options but it would take a lot of tweaking to achieve the same level of comfort and ease of use that the iPhone has out of the box.

Horses for courses, however.
                                                iPhone 4 ftw!
                                                Nice one Adam. I knew you'd get the iPhone since you have a mac.
                                                NextStopWhoKnows

Comment

Available for around €250 with 3 on their €40 a month plan which isn't bad. A lot cheaper if you need a higher priced plan. All the other carriers have it too.

There are a rake of Android tablets hitting the market with different screen sizes & different prices to suit all.

Android v3 will be optimized to work with the larger tablet screens.

The new Desire HD (just launched) is basically the Evo 4g (minus the 4g bit ). Looks like an amazing handset & as i'm contract free () i'm thinking about upgrading

Another amazing phone is the Samsung Galaxy S; screen is unreal & it's deffo on a par with the HTC Desire.
                                                  Ugh why did I have to go look at that phone its sick good cant get it on meteor yet?

I think the Samsung Galaxy is excellent but its too big for my liking.

but in all honesty u cant beat the nokia 3210 the joys off making ur own crappy sounding ringtones is just out of this world
                                                  Those were the days

Comment

So hard to choose, this is unreal.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kCdF6wrNYk[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by DeviantD View Post

Derek
                                                      X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                      Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

The iPhone 4 is in my opinion the best smart phone to have at the moment.

Hardware-wise, it is quite similar to some Android devices on the market e.g. HTC

Here are some of the iPhone's biggest flaws:

-Ridiculous as it seems it's not great for making calls! I frequently hang up on people by simply touching the screen accidentally with my ear.

-The phone needs to be jail-broken to fully unlock the device's potential.

-iTunes is a pile of $hit

-The recent daylight savings alarm bug is yet another highly embarrassing bug.

Having said that, the sheer range of the apps available for the iPhone make it an automatic winner. Ironically, the iOS is the new 'PC' of the smartphone world. Companies produce apps for the iOS first and foremost.

Hence the iphone will always get preference when it comes to delivering apps and equally important - supporting those apps - This is crucial

Comment

Originally posted by spectre View Post

Hardware-wise, it is quite similar to some Android devices on the market e.g. HTC

-Ridiculous as it seems it's not great for making calls! I frequently hang up on people by simply touching the screen accidentally with my ear.

Having said that, the sheer range of the apps available for the iPhone make it an automatic winner. Ironically, the iOS is the new 'PC' of the smartphone world. Companies produce apps for the iOS first and foremost.

Hence the iphone will always get preference when it comes to delivering apps and equally important - supporting those apps - This is crucial
                                                          What kind of apps can you get for the iPhone that are not available for android
                                                          I don't get why support for apps would be any worse for Android? The market for android apps is growing way beyond the apple userbase so if there is a buck to be made that is where it will be made.

Comment

Comment

Most new gadgets do come with their own set of faults/bugs from time to time thats a given but probably shouldnt.

You shouldnt really have to unlock the phone to get its true potential that is something that has really bugged me about the iPhone/iPod that its not very customisable compared to some of the stuff you can do with Android on the HTC Desire.

Your lines about the iPhone being better than Android isnt really fully correct, yes you will probably get some intricate apps on iPhone that you cant get on Android yet but Android is seriously catching up on the App Store and is eating into the market share.

It will not get preference as anything major that will come out will get backing for Android as well and you defo will get support for Android apps.

Little bit of time and it will be level.

Comment

Simply not true. It's the PC of the iPhone and only the iPhone as iOS doesn't run on anything else. Android runs on multiple smartphone devices across manufacturrs and now on a new breed of tabets as well.

Nope, most app developers acknowledge the march of Android and develop apps equally for iPhone & Android. It's Symbian (OVI) and Blackberry that are suffering most.
                                                                Last edited by TM2204; 05-11-10, 03:13.

Comment

The Galaxy Tablet looks fooking awesome I have been telling anybody that is thinking about getting an iPad to skip that and get an Android tablet. You would be a fool not to.
                                                                  Had a play around with one today and think i'm gonna go for it over the HTC Desire HD purely because I will use it in my business & for showing potential customers.

Agree it's a little large to use as a phone but i'm gonna give it a shot as the benefits far outweigh the fact it's oversized for use as a phone. I love the idea of an all-in-one device.

Amazing offer from Three; get the Galaxy Tab on their 'Classic Flex Max' plan (€40 PM, 350 mins or 700 Texts or combination of both, 2GB data, free 3 to 3 calls, free addon which can be free landline calls 24/7) for €289!!
                                                                  Last edited by TM2204; 05-11-10, 03:15.

Comment

Most likely i am going to go for the HTC HD2 with 3mobile, they are expecting it in on the 8th of this month, so i have pr-ordered it. Watched a few vid's on it and it just seems to be far better than the iphone4.

Comment

Android >>> Everything

They are taking over the world. Little robots. That is why they are called androids.

Comment

Have to say im in love with my iphone 4, its just unreal like a mini laptop, i have it 3 months and still play with it every day!

Mind you so do my kids for the games!

It was expensive but if i had to pay 1k for it i deffo would!!!!
                                                                        Her sky-ness
                                                                        © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by michelleGAV View Post
                                                                          Have to say im in love with my iphone 4, its just unreal like a mini laptop, i have it 3 months and still play with it every day!

Mind you so do my kids for the games!

It was expensive but if i had to pay 1k for it i deffo would!!!!
                                                                          1k, jaysus.
                                                                          I have the iphone 3, and have to say that i can't fault it, just a bit bored of the iphone now, i have had the iphone since it first came out and loved every bit about it, but this HTC HD2 just seems to be something else.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                            What kind of apps can you get for the iPhone that are not available for android
                                                                            I don't get why support for apps would be any worse for Android? The market for android apps is growing way beyond the apple userbase so if there is a buck to be made that is where it will be made.
                                                                            Most well known websites in Ireland and the world over have released an iPhone app and publicised it on their website. The same cannot be said for Android. That's not to say that Android counterparts do not exist. In many cases, some 3rd party developer will release an Android equivalent. You must admit that iPhone users are catered for first and foremost.

I think support is an issue with Android. There are so many variations of hardware using Android which makes support for every Android Smartphone problematic.

Also, the speed at which the Android O/S is evolving is also an issue. Sure it's great to keep improving the O/S but again the problem of support is exacerbated with so many different phones using such a varied O/S. Apple on the other hand of the luxury of only having to take care of it's own.

Comment

#39
                                                                              You shouldnt really have to unlock the phone to get its true potential that is something that has really bugged me about the iPhone/iPod that its not very customisable compared to some of the stuff you can do with Android on the HTC Desire.
                                                                              Couldn't agree more. I find it most patronising indeed.

Little bit of time and it will be level.
                                                                              I hope so. I'm certainly not a fanboy and would love to see Android overtake Apple so I can reclaim my soul from Steve Jobs.
                                                                              Last edited by spectre; 05-11-10, 11:43.

Comment

#40
                                                                                Simply not true. It's the PC of the iPhone and only the iPhone as iOS doesn't run on anything else. Android runs on multiple smartphone devices across manufacturrs and now on a new breed of tabets as well.
                                                                                Allow me to re-phrase: Apple have become like Microsoft in the smartphone market. They currently have the lion's share of the smartphone market appealing to the majority of consumers. Android is catching up though.

Nope, most app developers acknowledge the march of Android and develop apps equally for iPhone & Android. It's Symbian (OVI) and Blackberry that are suffering most.
                                                                                No way is it equal at this moment in time.

Comment

#41
                                                                                  Which is the current "best" HTC phone, the Desire HD is it?

Comment

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                    The HTC HD2 is the new one out.

Comment

#43
                                                                                      Most well known websites in Ireland and the world over have released an iPhone app and publicised it on their website. The same cannot be said for Android. That's not to say that Android counterparts do not exist. In many cases, some 3rd party developer will release an Android equivalent. You must admit that iPhone users are catered for first and foremost.

I think support is an issue with Android. There are so many variations of hardware using Android which makes support for every Android Smartphone problematic.

Also, the speed at which the Android O/S is evolving is also an issue. Sure it's great to keep improving the O/S but again the problem of support is exacerbated with so many different phones using such a varied O/S. Apple on the other hand of the luxury of only having to take care of it's own.
                                                                                      This is basically what Steve Jobs fired at Android at his recent presentation and it was quickly countered by th CEO of TweetDeck who developed the Android version of it's massively popular Twitter app with a development staff of 2!!

Jobs was trying to imply that the fragmentation of the Android market in terms of OS versions was causing headaches for developers. While there is no denying it does cause extra development work ensuring different versions & platforms are supported it is not nearly as bad as Jobs portrayed.

I suppose it's inevitable when you have 2 leading brands competing for market share that the will be silos back & forth like this.

The reality is that both platforms are excellent in their own right and both will dominate the marketplace going forward.

Oh and 'Apple Must Die' FTW...

Comment

#44
                                                                                        No way is it equal at this moment in time.
                                                                                        Not saying the number of apps is equal, what I am saying is that anyone developing a new app or upgrading an app is writing for both Android & iPhone

Comment

#45
                                                                                          HD2 runs Windows Mobile 6.5 OS and i'd give it a wide berth TBH. Android is far superior so the Desire HD is a better choice.

If your gonna go with a Windows phone OS go for one of the new Windows Phone OS 7 phones about to appear.

Comment

#46
                                                                                            Most importantly HD2 is a Windows phone rather than Android.

Comment

#47
                                                                                              Most importantly HD2 is a Windows phone rather than Android.
                                                                                              You have the new Desire don't you? How much did it set you back?

Comment

#48
                                                                                                It's about €220 on the Meteor €30 a month smartphone tariff. Less if you choose a higher plan.

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  Just a warning to anyone running a smartphone for the first time. You are entering a whole different world of battery use.
                                                                                                  The Desire HD has the biggest screen and therefore uses the most battery. You can extend the life for phone only use and there are excellent apps like juice defender that help but the reality is that you use a lot of connectivity you will need a car charger and you will be carrying a usb lead in your pocket to pick up that extra bit of power wherever you can.

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    The upgrade price was 229. I played hardball with vodafone and got an extra 60 off them, I was threatening to leave them and was showing them the enormous bills I run up on my own account when travelling for work. That took 5 or 6 attempts before I got a deal off them.

Comment

#51
                                                                                                      Just a warning to anyone running a smartphone for the first time. You are entering a whole different world of battery use.
                                                                                                      The Desire HD has the biggest screen and therefore uses the most battery. You can extend the life for phone only use and there are excellent apps like juice defender that help but the reality is that you use a lot of connectivity you will need a car charger and you will be carrying a usb lead in your pocket to pick up that extra bit of power wherever you can.
                                                                                                      This is true but a couple of things:

(a) HTC are using SLCD screens now that are not as power hungry as the AMOLED screens that used to come on the Desire.

(b) Read recently that using the likes of JuiceDefender is a waste of time. Typically with a new Android phone it taks a few weeks for the battery to 'settle in'. Android 'learns' as you use it and keeps your most frequently used apps in menory to save CPU time (heavy on battery) and having to pull them in & out.

(c) I used to use JuiceDefender but find my battery now lasts just as long without it and I also now don't have that horrible 'lag' while you wait for JuiceDefender to re-enable the connectivity services every time you switch on.

(d) 100% agree about car charger. I got one of those phone holders that suction onto your cars windscreen together with a car charger for about £8 on e-Bay.

Comment

#52
                                                                                                        Before i go searching, is there a handsfree kit you can get for the HTC?

Comment

#53
                                                                                                          Before i go searching, is there a handsfree kit you can get for the HTC?
                                                                                                          Any bluetooth handsfree kit will work.

I've got the SuperTooth voice which clips onto the visor in my car, battety lasts forever between charges, it tells you who's calling!! and it's totally portable.

Comment

#54
                                                                                                            It's about €220 on the Meteor €30 a month smartphone tariff. Less if you choose a higher plan.

You got the Desire HD from them?

Comment

#55
                                                                                                              You got the Desire HD from them?
                                                                                                              Didn't get it yet Danny. Was gonna get it & sell my standard HTC Desire but now thinking about the Galaxy Tab with 3

Comment

#56
                                                                                                                Didn't get it yet Danny. Was gonna get it & sell my standard HTC Desire but now thinking about the Galaxy Tab with 3
                                                                                                                I looked on the Meteor site and couldnt see it, are they gonna be selling and if so how much?

Comment

#57
                                                                                                                  Sony Ericsson X10, anyone have one? what are they like?

Comment

#58
                                                                                                                    nice looking phone, but very slow to update the software, so a couple of versions of android out of date. Their own software meant to be not great on top of android either.

Comment

#59
                                                                                                                      Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                                                      nice looking phone, but very slow to update the software, so a couple of versions of android out of date. Their own software meant to be not great on top of android either.
                                                                                                                      I had someone that wanted to swap me for my iphone3G, but i don't think i will, kinda set on the HTC desire

Comment

#60
                                                                                                                        Some great ideas, but seemingly poorly executed. Their own social networking software somehow manages to confuse the experience and render it extremely complicated to following what's going on. When one of the most highly-touted features of the phone falls flat on it's face, you really do have to worry about how the rest of it stacks up.

The way I'd be looking at is it why get an X10 which is okay, when you can get far superior phones for a modest amount of additional bananas.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X