X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need a new laptop

Cross-post from BBV

Tech heads,

I'm about three years behind in specs so need some help.

I'm in the market for a new laptop. Is the touch screen thingy that a few of them are offering worth it? What's the story with the Acer/Lenovo brands? Are they okay?

I'm presuming I need at least an i5 and 4GB of RAM ?

Cheers

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
    Cross-post from BBV

Tech heads,

I'm about three years behind in specs so need some help.

I'm in the market for a new laptop. Is the touch screen thingy that a few of them are offering worth it? What's the story with the Acer/Lenovo brands? Are they okay?

I'm presuming I need at least an i5 and 4GB of RAM ?

Cheers
    . +1

Comment

it's all down to how much you want to spend and what you'll be using it for.

list the things you want first and foremost.

Comment

I prefer tosh or hp. If u ring ill give u prices on a new laptop or ultrabook (touch screen). Do u like the touch screen or prefer using a keyboard . Personally think 6gb or 8gb of ram is important on modern laptops for intense use. we recommend windows 7 over windows 8 if you prefer the laptop over a ultrabook. 0214320043 Aidan AC Computer Solutions
        If its an ultrabook you want: new Fujitsu 13" i5 with 8gb ram, 500gb hdd and 32gb ssd drive windows 8 in red €675 (including delivery)
        www.itrepairs.ie iPhone 4S screen replacement €80. Laptop screen €99 inc del
        www.realchargers.ie Original chargers €29 inc delivery
        Last edited by accomputers.ie; 17-10-13, 10:25.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
          it's all down to how much you want to spend and what you'll be using it for.

list the things you want first and foremost.
          Again a cross post from the BBV:

What I'll be using it for...

1. General pokering/surfing/steaming from NAS and image processing ( Photoshop and Deep Sky Stacker)

2. No real budget - I'll pay for quality, but wont pay for shit I dont/wont need. Lets say I'd max out at about €800

3. I'm uisng a 15" at the minute - dont really need any more than that AFAI can tell.

I have a 500 GB HD, which frankly is a little overkill as I store most of my stuff either in the 'cloud' or on my NAS

Weight and heat generation is also a concern, but not a deal breaker.

FWIW I'm using an Inspiron 1564 at the minute. There's nothing really wrong with the software, it's just I had to replace the battery about a year ago (with a dodgy chinese one), the screen constantly goes to white, so I had to remove the internal bevel. This leaves some of he workings open to the elements but fixed the issue. Also the left hand side touchpad mouse click thingy doesnt work any more - a result of a spilled gin and tonic.

It's a hardware probelm I have more than anything.

Not really looking forward to windows 8.

Is there anywhere I can bulid a laptop from scratch? - similar to building a desktop from scratch? - something I did a few years ago with komplett?

I'm not overly fond of the touchscreen. I dont see the need to use the touchscreen interface when I can either use a mouse or touchpad. IMO if you want to use a touchpad - buy a tablet. My four year old - i suppose - will be more comfortable with touchscreen. I'm happy enough being old school.

Comment

For image processing on a laptop I'd be looking at getting something with a beefier processor and plenty of ram. Have a look at 64bit laptops with win7 OS. Should be able to get a decent one with 8gb of RAM.

TBH if your laptop is plugged in most of the time you don't need to keep the battery in the laptop all the time. Only leave it in if you intend to use it away fromyour desk for a while, then when it's recharged, remove it again.
            Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

OS X Mavericks ftw

Comment

on my 2nd Lenovo only change because the boss wanted a new lappy so got a new 1 for me and give her the old one . very good laptop

Comment

Working...
                X