Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone asking me for a nice restaurant near Trinity College, 5 minute walk, just good food is only requirement, what do you foodies recommend?
    Go big or go homeless.

Comment

One Pico/Greenhouse/Pigs Ear/Peploes

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
        Can't imagine Leo has a fondness for Thatcher, unless it was something he said as a student.

My issue is that confusing FG with a centrist party or (madly) as rightwing, is odd in any context.

Something like he had a poster of her on his wall or something.
        I've heard it a few times so god knows the origins.
        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
          Something like he had a poster of her on his wall or something.
          I've heard it a few times so god knows the origins.
          See this is the bullshit that lazy sloganeering gets you to.

conversation with a good friend last weekend (and he is a smart guy):

Him: "Sure Leo is very right wing, Thatcherite in fact"

Me: "Really? Could you point me to one right wing policy that he has implemented since becoming Taoiseach?"

Him: "Errrrrr"

We're in danger of becoming imbeciles who can't think beyond the latest Twitter bullshit. We might in fact already be there.
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
            The problem with arsenal is they always try and walk it in.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
              I'm in. You need to verify me.

Pay it forward. Here's my link for anyone who needs it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                I'm in. You need to verify me.

Pay it forward. Here's my link for anyone who needs it.
                https://initiativeq.com/invite/rbGjusnsm
                Just used yours if you want to verify me

Comment

Jacks crowd taking this as a backlash victory after the referendum humiliations. Good to see that that's how far they've fallen.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                    See this is the bullshit that lazy sloganeering gets you to.

conversation with a good friend last weekend (and he is a smart guy):

Him: "Sure Leo is very right wing, Thatcherite in fact"

Me: "Really? Could you point me to one right wing policy that he has implemented since becoming Taoiseach?"

Him: "Errrrrr"

We're in danger of becoming imbeciles who can't think beyond the latest Twitter bullshit. We might in fact already be there.
                    It is amazing how many people describe the government as a bunch of right-wing Tories.

Or that they're deliberately creating the housing crisis. A friend was throwing out that line about x% of TDs being landlords as a reason for the housing crisis. As if they're risking election to a 100k+ a year job to squeeze a bit more yield out of their apartment somewhere.
                    Last edited by Denny Crane; 23-10-18, 14:47.

Comment

New Bohs jersey is interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by alocon View Post
                        Just used yours if you want to verify me

https://initiativeq.com/invite/rVq6jo2sX
                        Used yours.. Think you have to verify?

No clue what it actually is.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                          It is amazing how many people describe the government as a bunch of right-wing Tories.

Or that they're deliberately creating the housing crisis. A friend was throwing out that line about x% of TDs being landlords as a reason for the housing crisis. As if they're risking election to a 100k+ a year job to squeeze a bit more yield out of their apartment somewhere.
                          The allure of being in on the "con" is pretty powerful.
                          Housing, taxation, employment, welfare, healthcare, debt management etc are pretty complicated processes. Why bother trying to understand it when a one line solution explains it all away
                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Casey now 9/4 in betting wo mdh

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                              Casey now 9/4 in betting wo mdh
                              I was pretty annoyed at this until I saw the total liquidity and total matched of the betting W/O market.
                              Lads were right earlier saying it didn't take a lot to move the dial

Comment

Fg are traditionally a centre right party

They became a centrist party due to casting off their Church ties

They are acting as a centre left party more recently due to fixing broken shit and being a bit liberal on human rights

Leo is/was a bit of a gee bag, he may have changed or he may be pulling a Teresa May in a do anything nto keep power move

You won't find him singing the red flag or the internationale anytime soon

I have voted fg for years as labour are shit, the supposed left are the spolt children of the rich playing games with the the poor and FF are cunces

For years there was the obvious problem with this voting strategy:

The lesser of two evils is still evil

The Irish version being: the lesser of two gormless are still fucking gormless

But at moment, given the hand they were dealt (apart from some public pay issues) happy enough with the centre leftish FG party

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                  Someone asking me for a nice restaurant near Trinity College, 5 minute walk, just good food is only requirement, what do you foodies recommend?
                                  ...I think Luigi Malones is quite nice, decent value and good food...Also nice amount of alcohol in their cocktails...
                                  ...Fun fact, I've had 8 1st dates in this restaurant in my life, I'm trying to get to 10...

Comment

I see the Freddie Mercury film is pg-13

How many of his days on this planet were pg-13

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                                      New Bohs jersey is interesting.

Much prefer the Sligo Rovers jersey

SPOILER

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
                                          ...I think Luigi Malones is quite nice, decent value and good food...Also nice amount of alcohol in their cocktails...
                                          ...Fun fact, I've had 8 1st dates in this restaurant in my life, I'm trying to get to 10...
                                          Just out of curiosity, how many of the 8 first dates led to a 2nd date?

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                            Much prefer the Sligo Rovers jersey

SPOILER
                                            It's nuts and was only a matter of time before the memes came but it's also our best selling away jersey in years after just one day along with going viral.

Comment

Originally posted by KK82 View Post
                                              Used yours.. Think you have to verify?

No clue what it actually is.
                                              Done! You got to verify me though please.
                                              This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                                                  It's nuts and was only a matter of time before the memes came but it's also our best selling away jersey in years after just one day along with going viral.
                                                  I look forward to asking bohs fans wearing the shirt while flying a Palestine flag to explain if they are pro or anti Zion
                                                  Last edited by Guest; 23-10-18, 19:07.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, how many of the 8 first dates led to a 2nd date?
                                                    ...6 did...One was my choice to not have a 2nd, and one was a gorgeous looking nurse, still not sure where it went wrong because goodnight kiss was her choice 😂...

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
                                                      Without any other information it would seem you should stop going there .

More information has since been presented.
                                                      Keep on trucking, A 75 % hit rate isn't bad!
                                                      Last edited by darwinatemyhamster; 23-10-18, 20:00.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Comment

oh dear lord.
                                                              I hope nobody's dead, because that's really funny.
                                                              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                I hope nobody's dead, because that's really funny.
                                                                17 hospitalised and 1 person had their foot ripped off was the latest i heard.

Comment

Comment

Another question. The Irish version of my name (the fabulous Mícheál Ó Dúnlaing), can I ever officially use this? Like is this as recognised as my English name by the state, or would I have to get a name change in order to be able to use it? Like are all those guys with pretentious Irish-ised versions of their name just making it up as they go along, or do you have the right to be called by both your Irish or English version of name?
                                                                    Most people on facebook or what ever are just making it up. It's not an official name.
                                                                    If you want to use it on bank accounts, drivers licenses, etc you'd probably have to do a formal name change.

You can apply to have it on your passport without changing you name legally afaik. They might ask for a reason or some sort of indication that you use it.
                                                                    It used to be a bit of a visa work around for Australia. People who used their WHV visas, getting their passport made out itn Irish and returning for a second stint.
                                                                    People from the North doing two stints on British and Irish passport would also benefit from the Irish name as an extra bit of camouflage

Comment

Another question. The Irish version of my name (the fabulous Mícheál Ó Dúnlaing), can I ever officially use this? Like is this as recognised as my English name by the state, or would I have to get a name change in order to be able to use it? Like are all those guys with pretentious Irish-ised versions of their name just making it up as they go along, or do you have the right to be called by both your Irish or English version of name?
                                                                      No
                                                                      No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Powerlifter pulls out of Invicitus games after been caught with drugs and weapons.

The 36-year-old former rifleman denies taking any drugs that may have affected his performance at the Games Prince Harry founded for wounded and ill defence veterans in Sydney.
                                                                            Fair enough. What was it, coke, some pills? Nope.

..he was allegedly found with cocaine, testosterone, and the anabolic steroids stanozolol and fluoxymesterone...

...and the unauthorised possession of restricted drugs including melanotan – commonly known as a “Barbie” drug used by people wanting a tan – and the breast cancer drugs letrozole and anastrozole....
                                                                            Anabolics, PCT drugs, bodybuilder tan pills, and cocaine. But you were only minding it for a mate. Oh Tyronne

An Australian athlete has made an embarrassing withdrawal from Prince Harry's Invictus Games after being arrested.

Edit:
                                                                            He was arrested last month. But he competed yesterday and took silver in powerlifting. Benching 171kg at a bodyweight of 93kg
                                                                            But still has shotput, discus, and bizarrely swimming to go.
                                                                            Last edited by Mellor; 24-10-18, 05:51.

Comment

Some questions about the modern CV!

Need to give a short talk to French students who might come to Ireland to work, and their CVs are a bit 'weird' here by tradition.

Could I check the following; bearing in mind this would be for graduate positions, not fully fledged adult positions, so very limited experience to talk about:

1. A picture of the candidate?

2. Do people mention hobbies?

3. What about short work experiences when they were teenagers (if they have nothing else)?

4. To what extent would you describe skills learned in your course?

5. Technical skills: I presume its just non-Office skills that you mention?

Apologies for the basic lack of knowledge inherent in my questions!
                                                                              I assume Richie is the man to give the best answer to this but given I got some advice from him, I was in a similar situation recently and I've reviewed some CVs for my team recently, I'll try add something as I was lucky enough with a couple of job offers after finishing:

1. I have seen numerous international candidates add photos along with more elaborate colour coded smart art CVs but I've been told that a photo is unnecessary. I don't think this layout was appreciated even though I thought it looked impressive.

2. I mentioned hobbies/interests but briefly and not as a sub-section, alongside brief personal achievements which they were intertwined with.
                                                                              This appeared a few times on another on other CVs.

3. No idea.

4. I gave a simple list of core modules, electives and my area of interest for my dissertation.

5. Most CVs I have read mention office, explicitly highlighting excel & excel VBA especially. I have come across a few with Outlook and PowerPoint mentioned too.
                                                                              Obviously leaning on the more complex coding and data viz etc but most I have come across appear to mention Microsoft office elements explicitly. Perhaps they're not a given for graduates.

Comment

Including photos in CVs for use in Ireland is a no-no as far as I'm concerned. Obviously you get random foreigners applying for jobs and including their pictures but definitely not the done thing!

I'd include hobbies/interests if there isn't much job history, but when it comes to more senior level positions I'm guessing that stuff is totally redundant ('oh, this candidate for the CEO position plays the cor anglais in his spare time, how wonderful, will be great for the Christmas party!' )

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                  17 hospitalised and 1 person had their foot ripped off was the latest i heard.

what an advert for bulmers

Comment

Tool EU tour 2019, fuck yes. Just been 12 years...

Comment

saw this on reddit today

An Irexit supporting Tax exile who is only in the race so he can put 'Irish Presidential candidate on his American business cards.

It's amazing what a people will excuse when a gobshite like him plays their prejudices like a violin.

Comment

So took me 90 minutes to do 40k this morning due to a crash on the N7, I was to attend a meeting and was late, however when I got into work there was a crash on the N11 coming the other way, delaying those guys even more . SO nobody made the meeting. So to the drivers on the N7, fk you idiots , wtf learn to drive , the same shit over and over arghhh. To the drivers on the N11. Unlucky with the crash lads, these things happen , the low lying sun etc. Can’t be helped, I do hope nobody was injured, accidents will happen as Elvis Costello sez.

Comment

Only really good looking people should put their photo on a CV

Any mingers with a photo on their CV are instantly discarded, not because they are ugly but becuase they are clearly stupid to think putting their ugly mug on their CV was a good fucking idea

Comment

Only really good looking people should put their photo on a CV

Any mingers with a photo on their CV are instantly discarded, not because they are ugly but becuase they are clearly stupid to think putting their ugly mug on their CV was a good fucking idea
                                                                                            I hear you are Judgmental now Father. How did you get into the ol Judgemental thing there father? Should we all be judgemental too.?

LinkedIn sez hello

Comment

World debt and GDP related ratios have popped up here a few times especially in reference to the US.

I thought the graph here: http://www.visualcapitalist.com/63-t...visualization/ was quite good as is the site overall.

Pretty digestible reading

Comment

Casey into 20/1 (2nd Fav) ftw

7/4 now in betting w/o MDH

Comment

Was just asking about ethical ETFs and this pops up for me today:
                                                                                                  Plant-based company group Kale United AB (Kale United) has today announce its launch. Founded by respected Swedish entrepreneur Måns Ullerstam, Kale United is a unique business pioneering a mission to create a global ecosystem for plant-based and vegan companies to flourish.

Plant-based company group Kale United AB (Kale United) has today announced its launch. Founded by respected Swedish entrepreneur Måns Ullerstam, Kale United is a unique business pioneering a mission to create a global ecosystem for plant-based and vegan companies to flourish.

In addition to filling the support gap for member companies, providing cross pollination, synergies and services that empower growth, Kale United also becomes a long-term shareholder in selected businesses.

Through its groundbreaking network and community of shareholders, Kale United seeks out and incorporates the best plant-based brands, consolidating and accelerating this fast-growing global market.

Kale United has appointed two expert advisory board members – Tobias Leenaert, co-founder of ProVeg International and author of How to Create a Vegan World: a Pragmatic Approach; and David Stenholtz, an oncologist, and founder and chairman of Doctor For The Future.

kalueunited-membercompanies
                                                                                                  ©Kale United
                                                                                                  Crowdfunding Campaign

A crowdfunding campaign will go live on 1st November, 2018, to support the growth of its unique global ecosystem designed to help plant-based brands thrive.

Launching on FundedByMe, the Kale United crowdfunding campaign brings together a community of like-minded shareholders for a common cause: supporting and benefiting from the underlying growth of the plant-based industry.

The crowdfunding campaign will support further investments in plant-based brands, bringing more businesses into the fast-growing portfolio, and helping to expand the ecosystem of services which member companies benefit from. The initial funding target is SEK 6 million (EUR 572,000).

Måns Ullerstam, serial entrepreneur and founder of Kale United, said: “The journey starts today. I have created Kale United to offer a simple, ethical and accessible option that is open for anyone to play an active role in the strong growth of the plant-based market. I am delighted to have a team of expert industry advisors on board in Tobias and David to help shape the strategy as we move forwards with this exciting project.

We strive to find companies for the Kale United ecosystem that are not just plant-based, but are actively engaged in making the world a better place by reducing food waste, carbon footprint, or improving the health of humans. Among other things, we evaluate companies based on how they live up to United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.

We are also following the guidelines of ethical, sustainable investments by avoiding industries involved in fossil fuels, weapons, animal agriculture, or those that use products derived from animals, or cause deforestation and pollution.”

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                                                    Casey into 20/1 (2nd Fav) ftw

7/4 now in betting w/o MDH
                                                                                                    Chuck up a thread caption to remind people to vote Casey #1
                                                                                                    Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                                                      This new thread title may bring some popcorn worthy new members to the BBV.

Comment

Casey gone to 6/5 in the betting without mdh market. Gallagher is same price

Bbv title change having an effect

Comment

...Raging I didn't jump on the casey bandwagon last week with all of ya...Journal.ie has a poll online, 45% MDH 31% IPB BBV...Granted it's not reliable at all but interesting all the same...

Comment

@Pokerhand would you be tempted to do a recap of your travels? Kinda about what the whole thing meant. Remember you setting off (for Cali?) and thought it was just yesterday. Then the move to Oz. Then you posted the other day it was four years ago you left, as was wondering where all the time went. But then again I'm nearly in France four years too and never really felt I left anywhere.

My vague pickup of the whole adventure was that you experienced way more things in US, but maybe Oz had a different effect on you?

Are you back for good now do you think?
                                                                                                            Ya, can put some words together later this week and post here if people like, just knackered at the moment with the move etc. In hindsight going out last night till midnight and staying up till 4.30am texting friends in China was not the best of ideas
                                                                                                            No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

For all Park Chan-wook fans out there, The Little Drummer Girl (5-6 part drama series) starts on BBC this Sunday at 9PM (I think) all directed by the man himself

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                                                                What's our strategy for laying some off in the without MDH market? Gonna wait till after the debate tonight in any case.
                                                                                                                Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                                                  What's our strategy for laying some off in the without MDH market? Gonna wait till after the debate tonight in any case.
                                                                                                                  I'll prob leave it. The market is pretty weak so would prob have to give away a good bit of value to get out which is a bit of a bitch move tbh.

Dying to see how it plays out. Be interesting to see how much of a gauge of populations thoughts you can get from online forums/social media ect. Like if you were to go by that he should be 1/100 now to come top 2 but you have to be wary that there may be huge biases at play. Im confident with a tinge of doubt that it was too obvious to be true
                                                                                                                  Last edited by The Situation; 24-10-18, 18:18.
                                                                                                                  Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                                                    Hedges are for gardens.

Comment

Spotted a nice little bet for an interest in the six 8 o'clock cl kick offs, over 1.5 goals in each game 7/2.
                                                                                                                      Special on PP btw
                                                                                                                      Last edited by darwinatemyhamster; 24-10-18, 18:51.

Comment

Some questions about the modern CV!

Need to give a short talk to French students who might come to Ireland to work, and their CVs are a bit 'weird' here by tradition.

Could I check the following; bearing in mind this would be for graduate positions, not fully fledged adult positions, so very limited experience to talk about:

1. A picture of the candidate?

2. Do people mention hobbies?

3. What about short work experiences when they were teenagers (if they have nothing else)?

4. To what extent would you describe skills learned in your course?

5. Technical skills: I presume its just non-Office skills that you mention?

Apologies for the basic lack of knowledge inherent in my questions!
                                                                                                                        Pretty much what the lads said - there is a cv format called Europass, it’s an abomination and the bane of anyone who reviews cvs. Please tell all your euro buddies to spread the word.

1-No pictures

2-hobbies are fine on cvs but only if applicable. Tech people building interesting projects on their own bat, being a member of clubs and socs to show your rounded and something team sports related is always acceptable.

Reading, playing music, socialising etc etc shouldn’t be on a cv and I generally delete them before sending them to clients. They make people sound super dull. One persons unique is another persons insane - keep the sword juggling, restoring antique trains and reinasance fair dancing off - all real items I have read on cvs.

3-work experience is fine. Short and sweet in the descriptions- paragraphs on cutting neighbors lawns is obv worse than a gap. Working part time in a bar or whatever French students do is grand.

4 and 5 - yes add hard skills and modules. Key words are important for getting past the initial HR intern who is filtering a few thousand profiles before sending a shortlist to the person who decides who to bring forward.

Big seller is the thesis and projects which should be expanded as a real world job for the grad cv. Don’t add timekeeping, teamwork and all the other bullshit soft skills.

bullet points not paragraphs - if it’s tough to read than there is a good chance it won’t be. Use a normal font, don’t put everything into a million text boxes, don’t add stupid graphics and don’t add a mission statement in the third person or inspirational quote from Richard Branson.

Lastly if you cannot use spell check on word you don’t deserve a job.

Comment

or the old one.

Avoid hiring unlucky people, throw half the CVs you get directly nito the bin unread.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X