Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
    Here is my 80's TV quiz. Only 7 as I couldn't be bothered to think of more.

1. Complete the Irish TV 'comedy' title - Leave it to Mrs ...
    2. How many pockets were in 40 Coats' coat?
    3. What US state was Magnum PI set in?
    4. What did the acronym CHiPS stand for in the TV show title?
    5. What type of animal was Gentle Ben?
    6. What was the name of the dog in Fraggle Rock?
    7. What city was deGrassi Junior High set in?
    Poor showing but wouldn't know the Irish or English series of the time

SPOILER
    3 hawai
    4 california Highway patrol
    5a bear

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
      1. Who was Arfur's nemesis in Minder?
      2. What was the name of the car in Knight Rider?
      3. Who was the dizzy auld(est) wan in The Golden Girls?
      4. What was Dudley's catchphrase in Different Strokes?
      5. What was the name of the sherrif in The Dukes of Hazzard?
      6. What city was Cheers based in?
      7. What was the name of the posh Prod in Glenroe?
      8. What was the name of the landlord in The Young Ones?
      9. What was the name of Sir Humphrey's assistant in Yes Minister?
      10. What was Peggy's job in Hi-de-Hi?
      SPOILER
      1. Charlie Chisholm, or Her Indoors depending on what angle you are taking.
      2. Kit.
      3. Sophie or Rose? Only two I can remember.
      4. No memory of anyone called Dudley
      5. Beaufort T Justice.
      6. Boston.
      7. No idea.
      8. Alexei. That's the actor but seeing on all the other characters were called after their real-life names.....
      9. Bernard.
      10. 'Umble Chambermaid

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
        Know someone who works in Software Dev with Aer Lingus. Told 50% today.

Opr
        He'll be gone asap. So much remote work everywhere for good devs. Even in these times.
        This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
            Here is my 80's TV quiz. Only 7 as I couldn't be bothered to think of more.

1. Complete the Irish TV 'comedy' title - Leave it to Mrs ...
            2. How many pockets were in 40 Coats' coat?
            3. What US state was Magnum PI set in?
            4. What did the acronym CHiPS stand for in the TV show title?
            5. What type of animal was Gentle Ben?
            6. What was the name of the dog in Fraggle Rock?
            7. What city was deGrassi Junior High set in?
            SPOILER
            O'Brien
            One?
            Hawaii
            California Highway Patrol
            A bear
            Dunno
            LA?
            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
              Just about every single restaurant in the US has shut down. It's sometimes astounding to hear these things, even if they are implied.
              I actually do think, if this thing can be brought decisively under control, there will be a massive surge in all forms of leisure spending.

Comment

SPOILER
                O'Brien
                One?
                Hawaii
                California Highway Patrol
                A bear
                Dunno
                LA?
                My last question is actually defunct I think after just double checking the answer. I knew it was Canadian and thought it was set in Toronto, but it didn't seem to be. It was filmed in Ontario though.

Other answers you didn't get are:

SPOILER

2. 40 coats and his 50 pockets
                6. Sprockett

Comment

Random years.

1. What was buck Roger's Robot friend in the TV series
                  2. What was Tom Baxers robot pet in Dr Who
                  3. Who was the leader of the Darleks
                  4. What was the quiz that Maxi competed
                  5. What was the minder theme song that Waterman sang?
                  6 who played Steve Mcgarrit in H50
                  7. What was the tv spin off from grange hill
                  8. What black footballer played for West Ham and caused Alf Garnett such consternation .
                  9. Children of the ..... afternoon childrens chiller
                  10 . Bay city rollers tv show...

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                    FAO: RDIII, part 2.

Very impressive GAB. Did you bullnose those armrests yourself?

Who delivered the timber to you, Strahan?

Have a pergola to build myself.
                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                      Random years.

1. What was buck Roger's Robot friend in the TV series
                      2. What was Tom Baxers robot pet in Dr Who
                      3. Who was the leader of the Darleks
                      4. What was the quiz that Maxi competed
                      5. What was the minder theme song that Waterman sang?
                      6 who played Steve Mcgarrit in H50
                      7. What was the tv spin off from grange hill
                      8. What black footballer played for West Ham and caused Alf Garnett such consternation .
                      9. Children of the ..... afternoon childrens chiller
                      10 . Bay city rollers tv show...
                      Most of those before my time. I know the minder one and roughly the Grange Hill one (I know the name of the character that's in the spinoff title I think but not the full name) , that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                        He'll be gone asap. So much remote work everywhere for good devs. Even in these times.
                        I am sure shedding people is part of the overall strategy. I don't know how this is being structured with regards to cutting hours but I was talking to another mate whose work is currently talking about cutting hours. He said he would welcome it. His current situation of two young kids while both he and his partner are working full-time jobs from home isn't sustainable. They will get a break on the mortgage which will erode costs enough to make it entirely feasible and probably preferable given all the other factors at play.

Opr

Comment

Comment

Comment

Played a $109 IO satelite on Party this evening. Over the course of it I encountered two WSOP November 9ers and at one stage had four lads with over $3m each in poker winnings sat two each side of me. Bloody Corona Virus.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                Played a $109 IO satelite on Party this evening. Over the course of it I encountered two WSOP November 9ers and at one stage had four lads with over $3m each in poker winnings sat two each side of me. Bloody Corona Virus.
                                Poor bastards will probably never recover from whatever beat you passed on to 'em.

Comment

1. Who was Arfur's nemesis in Minder?
                                  2. What was the name of the car in Knight Rider?
                                  3. Who was the dizzy auld(est) wan in The Golden Girls?
                                  4. What was Dudley's catchphrase in Different Strokes?
                                  5. What was the name of the sherrif in The Dukes of Hazzard?
                                  6. What city was Cheers based in?
                                  7. What was the name of the posh Prod in Glenroe?
                                  8. What was the name of the landlord in The Young Ones?
                                  9. What was the name of Sir Humphrey's assistant in Yes Minister?
                                  10. What was Peggy's job in Hi-de-Hi?
                                  only 4 at best, clearly spent my time in more intellectual pursuits in the 80's
                                  SPOILER

2. Kitt
                                  3. Rose
                                  5. Boss Hogg
                                  6. Boston
                                  Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Yeah it's a shambles trying to manage kids and work from home. I guess 95% of us are just pretending to work. I'm maximum at 30% work rate. Although that's up from zero percent in the small apartment.
                                    Our boss asked us to honestly say what % of capacity we could work at so I said 50% (3 kids, wife in healthcare). Everyone else said 100%, idiots, so I get to hand off some of my shite to them while continuing to do all the 'important' stuff.

The Americans really still don't get how bad this is, that's very much the common theme in my daily interactions with them.

Comment

Gal gadot imagine vid is off the chart levels of cringe

Comment

Won’t be too long before British underclass riots, hope they don’t get early summer weather

Comment

Got an email from PokerGo to say it's free for a month. Use promo code: WATCHPARTY

Watch the 2022 World Series of Poker Bracelet events and WSOP Main Event live from Las Vegas, exclusively on PokerGO.

Comment

There's not much content on what happens once we get back to some semblance of normality and it inevitably starts to spread again. That's when I feel the real social unrest will occur. Feels like there's such a strong collective will to beat this the first time that people will really mentally struggle with the fact it hasn't really gone away at all if asked to wind things down a 2nd time around. Not sure the better weather factor holds massive credence as still spreading in Italy in areas that have as good weather now as our summers...
                                            Considering the vaccine is said to be 12-18 months away I'm intrigued by how 2nd round plays out.
                                            Profit before people.

Comment

You can now pause your sky sports subscription online
                                              His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Hospitality sector has been absolutely ravaged. Wife is head of sales for a hotel that relies heavily on corporate business from IFSC docklands companies. They've had more staff than guests in hotel this week, occupancy rate down to 4%. Most non management staff had to be let go this week but even then its looking quite likely to shut completely for a few months. Carnage.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                  There's not much content on what happens once we get back to some semblance of normality and it inevitably starts to spread again. That's when I feel the real social unrest will occur. Feels like there's such a strong collective will to beat this the first time that people will really mentally struggle with the fact it hasn't really gone away at all if asked to wind things down a 2nd time around. Not sure the better weather factor holds massive credence as still spreading in Italy in areas that have as good weather now as our summers...
                                                  Considering the vaccine is said to be 12-18 months away I'm intrigued by how 2nd round plays out.
                                                  I agree, which is a further reason why I don't buy the praise of the Chinese effort. It's not been a country wide effort, it's authoritarian directive.

This virus is here until the end of 2021 unless some expedited means of vaccine approval is given, so we need a long term plan to combat it's impact.
                                                  As much as it's been played to death, the "flatten the curve" method is therefore the only approach.

Irrespective of whether the SK numbers have taken a bump up in recent days, the primary number we need to pay attention to is "active cases". This is continuing to fall, in turn freeing up additional healthcare services.

The idea of taking a draconian Chinese approach first time around looks great when you see the Chinese numbers at this point in time but their application is completely unfeasible right now, let alone during subsequent waves.
                                                  The application of them during each proceeding wave will lead to growing civil unrest, an exponential curve in and of itself. Applying those measures in a de-facto dictatorship is fine but they won't work in a democracy.

This is about riding out the initial wave, followed by continually improving upon testing, contact tracing and treatment until the vaccine is ready.

That's the primary piece I read on seasonality if interested:
                                                  SPOILER

Comment

Best case is what's happening now is temporary, and through testing, containment and tracing we catch all live cases in Ireland, and then have strict border controls. In the medium term that would continue. We probably shut off travel from areas that are ravaged.

I'm not buying the idea that it'll follow spanish flu and be worse in the second wave. I think we've enough controls to fight that.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post
                                                      You can now pause your sky sports subscription online
                                                      I cancelled mine - At least then when getting it back you might get on offer or something.

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 20-03-20, 09:34.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                            Presume this would be a decent time to increase AVCs a bit?
                                                            Maybe next month.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by TheJiggaman View Post
                                                                I cancelled mine - At least then when getting it back you might get on offer or something.
                                                                Good idea although I was on hold for half an hour and gave up the other day.

I only really watch Golf on it and the odd football match.

If other sport comes back and not golf I’ll cancel it then.
                                                                His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Bear in mind South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, even Japan in a sense, have gone through this exact journey from authoritarian to democracy over multiple decades, so there's a lot of regional experience with both stages and that these stages work for them.
                                                                  Think you mean 'especially'?!

Embracing Defeat is a great read on the US occupation of Japan and how Japan so rapidly transitioned from authoritarianism.

Comment

i fucking despise rory's stories
                                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Not
                                                                      SPOILER
                                                                      Boss Hogg
                                                                      ?
                                                                      I think you are giving Hitch a run for his money as nut worst quizmaster
                                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Don't want to be always disagreeing with you on China murdrum and what I'm saying is anecdotal - but the Chinese students I was teaching this semester all seemed to be happily part of the effort. All wearing masks, coming up with new ideas on social connection from isolation. They'll be fine. It's Western societies will have problems.

I really don't think 95% of Chinese people view China as authoritative or wrong, they have a huge amount of support for their government. Bear in mind they are also a culturally highly collective nation, so are much more supportive of collective actions than we are used to.
                                                                        As you're aware, there is enough research and historical examples of people adapting to living under, or acting out directives from a regime that in the recent past they would never have signed up for.

I have no reason to doubt what you're saying Hitch, it sounds perfectly reasonable to me. As I've said already, this is nothing to do with China, it could be any nation but the measures just won't work here either in the short or long term.

More and more research is suggesting that testing and tracing is how this can be controlled. It's not being stopped, just slowed, zero is not an achievable number for any democracy and to be honest, I doubt it's achievable for China until a vaccine is found either.

Their edge may exist in their ability to expedite the vaccine which is something Western democracies may not be able to follow suit on.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                          I think you are giving Hitch a run for his money as nut worst quizmaster
                                                                          On a related note.

Once upon a time, in the dark mists of time, I had a girlfriend (hard to believe I know) from way down in darkest West Wicklow. Anyway, was staying down there one time and got dragged along to a pub quiz in aid of something or other in the local boozer. The quizmaster was clearly a local character of renown who had been supping liberally before the quiz ever began. Which was all well and good, and most of the assembled punters were following suit as the quiz kicked off.

The first round of questions came out and we dutifully filled in our answers and handed them over to the lad who was collecting them. Then the fireworks commenced when it became very clear that the answers on our hero's sheet did not correspond with what most people would regard as established facts.

e.g.

"now lads, question 1 - what is the capital of Peru?"

"Lima" chorussed a majority of the tables

"wrong!" exclaims our hero triumphantly, "it's feckin' Buenos Aires. Yiz are all a bunch of thicks."

We then learned several other facts such as Italy being the first ever rugby world cup winners and Mayo being the largest county in Ireland. Abuse roared up and down the room with chaos ensuing until our hero was relieved of his duties and the local teacher took over.
                                                                          Yer man then retreats to the bar where he spent the rest of the evening shouting out his version of the right answer to each question.

Great night.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                            The parts of Italy worst affected are the areas where people go skiing. Spring does come faster and stronger than here so we could have some good indications of whether that is helping them soon.

From Government and health bodies point of view I expect they are giving very limited thought to how you deal with 2nd wave and instead hoping that they will be able to deal with the first and if ore effective treatments fall out of it they can be refined and applied as the pandemic develops.
                                                                            Also we will get to see how things play out in China now that they are loosening restrictions.
                                                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Where do we actually do this? On the MyGov website?

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                The parts of Italy worst affected are the areas where people go skiing. Spring does come faster and stronger than here so we could have some good indications of whether that is helping them soon.
                                                                                Bergamo has been a balmy 17/18 degrees last few weeks.
                                                                                Profit before people.

Comment

IPB poker tourney and a full race card at fundalk.

Post up some pics of the beer line up and we can make this somewhat of a "normal" Friday.

Comment

first IPB lockdown Sheep alphabet game ready to go. sidebets encouraged

Comment

Bring back Icarus and The Rigger, and both PasTa and RasTa
                                                                                      airport, lol

Comment

Where do we actually do this? On the MyGov website?

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/202...me-tax-relief/
                                                                                        If there's one thing i have learned in life it is dont invite revenue to look at you unless its really worth your while.

Comment

Picture Quiz

1.) Name of Granvilles girlfriend in Open all Hours

2.) Sir name of Fletchers cellmate

3.) Name the show

4.) Name the show. Bonus point for name of the Chief Super pictured.

5.) Name the show

6.) Name the show

7.) Name the show

8.) Whos is pictured with Basil

9.) What was the name ofelusive painting called in Allo Alo

10.) Dads Army name the soldier in the middle

Comment

I was supposed to fly to Germany on April 10th for my stags but with everything that's going on it's not going to happen, I've seen places banning entry from Germany and their borders are closed off but haven't seen anything to do with flights from Ireland?
                                                                                            "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

FAO PSV

airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                                                                I was supposed to fly to Germany on April 10th for my stags but with everything that's going on it's not going to happen, I've seen places banning entry from Germany and their borders are closed off but haven't seen anything to do with flights from Ireland?
                                                                                                Talking to a supplier this morning and he needs a reason to be out and about.

Comment

I wouldnt expect there to be any regular passenger flights out of dublin this time next week
                                                                                                  airport, lol

Comment

Talking to a supplier this morning and he needs a reason to be out and about.
                                                                                                    Huh?

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                                    I wouldnt expect there to be any regular passenger flights out of dublin this time next week
                                                                                                    I know Ryanair have cancelled some flights but nothing for mine when I went in to check last night.

My missus and her friends were supposed to fly to Madrid last week but decided to not go and cancelled their flights then a couple days later Spain was a no go and they lost out.

Comment

Don't want to be always disagreeing with you on China murdrum and what I'm saying is anecdotal - but the Chinese students I was teaching this semester all seemed to be happily part of the effort. All wearing masks, coming up with new ideas on social connection from isolation. They'll be fine. It's Western societies will have problems.
                                                                                                      Can't for the life of me imagine why rich Chinese students studying abroad have no issue with China When I was doing my masters all the Chinese students had to worry about was a Rolex enough of a gift for their fathers birthday, actual quote. That sounds like this is a nice little game for them. My friends that left china for good with their families have very different views, it's hilarious/sad when they show me Chinese news and translate it. It's kinda hard to gauge how people there feel when people turn up at your door to take you away if you say anything.

That girl in 2018 that threw ink on a picture of Xi on a live stream, was taken from her home that day and put in a psychiatric hospital. <billion other examples>

Comment

or switch to DPTV

Comment

Got an email from AIB that they'll be charging quarterly fees on all accounts now despite their previous stance. You'd think someone might have made the decision to hold off on announcements like that at the minute!!

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                                            ABP granted permission today for amendments to the new runway layout, they'll prob plough on with that in the hope that by time its built it'll be back to normal

Comment

Huh?

.
                                                                                                              In Germany, in case you were thinking of going.

Comment

I know Ryanair have cancelled some flights but nothing for mine when I went in to check last night.
                                                                                                                Ryanair currently emailing customers, doing so based on the flight date, I received an email last night re a fight on the 27th March but nothing on the return flight on the 1st April even though they are on the same booking

Comment

In Germany, in case you were thinking of going.
                                                                                                                  Ah now I get ya, won't be going. Just don't want the lads who had already booked flights for my stag to lose out.

Comment

Originally posted by premierstone View Post
                                                                                                                    Ryanair currently emailing customers, doing so based on the flight date, I received an email last night re a fight on the 27th March but nothing on the return flight on the 1st April even though they are on the same booking
                                                                                                                    What's the details? Also the mind boggles why they don't include both legs.

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                                                                                                                      1.) Name of Granvilles girlfriend in Open all Hours

2.) Sir name of Fletchers cellmate

3.) Name the show

4.) Name the show. Bonus point for name of the Chief Super pictured.

5.) Name the show

6.) Name the show

7.) Name the show

8.) Whos is pictured with Basil

9.) What was the name ofelusive painting called in Allo Alo

10.) Dads Army name the soldier in the middle
                                                                                                                      That's a new order of difficulty.

The only one I know for sure is
                                                                                                                      SPOILER
                                                                                                                      Ze Fallen Madonna with ze Beeg Boobies

Comment

Think you mean 'especially'?!

Embracing Defeat is a great read on the US occupation of Japan and how Japan so rapidly transitioned from authoritarianism.
                                                                                                                        The recent three part series on hardcore history covering the culture background to Japan in WWII was superb.
                                                                                                                        ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

What's the details? Also the mind boggles why they don't include both legs.
                                                                                                                          You can apply for a refund or alternate dates.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X