Omaha8, two hands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Omaha8, two hands

Right, gonna stick these up whilst I can still remember the details and see what the verdict is. Playing live in Voodoo at the monthly mixed game. Player A is fairly loose but competent from what I've seen and Player B is v loose pre-flop but generally has the goods when shoving or calling rivers/turns.

Hand 1
    Player B sb €80
    Player C bb €200+
    Hero utg €200 approx
    Player B posts small blind €1
    Player C posts big blind €2
    Hero raises to €7 with AdAs5s6h
    all fold to blinds who both call.
    Flop: A28 no flush draw
    SB checks
    BB bets 15
    Hero calls (questioning this and turn)
    SB calls
    Turn: 4x
    SB shoves for €58
    BB folds
    Hero ?

Hand 2
    Not sure of positions pre-flop, think I limped or was in BB with 5,7,8,10 and called a raise from player A to €10 after player B also called (am sure this was biggest mistake).
    Flop: 4s6s8h
    Player B checks
    Hero checks
    Player A pots for approx 35
    Player B calls
    Hero ?

Hand 1 is a crying call imo. You have the 3rd low, and the second nut high, if villain has 35, pay him off, and berate dealer. (Given the potsize, and his flop bet pretty much committing him to the pot, it means I call a lot faster)

Hand 2. Fold pre. You've a somewhat nice hand in Omaha, but not Omaha8. You have no (decent) low, and are playing for half the pot at best. You can call now and be ready to fold to any spade and any 4 or 6 or 8, or else fold now.

Do bear in mind that I'm only learning Omaha8 at the moment, so this advice could well be absolutely shite

Comment

hand 1 should have repotted the raise on the flop.the only one to call would be someone with the nut low.ie 2 3.The way it happened its a fold on the river.
      hand 2 fold pre.

i am open to correction on hand 1,flushdraw plays hi/low alot so he will probably be best to tell you.
      Last edited by peteypop; 04-03-10, 08:32.

Comment

Hand 1: Raise flop. You are miles ahead in one half, and have some equity against most hands for the low too. Call now obv. She probably has 345x but I'm not folding. At the very worst you have like 30% if she has 345x (guesstimate) and you need 32%. You can often have a lot more as well. This is a pretty standard call.

Hand 2: Fold pre again. This is the junkiest of junk in hilo. Call flop like emmet said and lets see a turn.
        Foldaramus et foldarabimus

Comment

1. Raise flop and fairly standard call on turn

2.Hand is possibly the worst O8 starting hand going. Depending on stacks this might even be a fold.

Comment

yeah, hadn't really thought the hands through (only the results) and as I typed the second hand I was wondering what the hell was I doing even playing. Maybe a little tilted or bored but really bad hand.

Comment

Hand 1:
              Even a min raise would punish sb on flop to into either folding or honking all in. Considering stacks I'm never letting sb get to turn. It's a no brainer and without any flushdraw I'm happy to isolate and hopefully check down to save rake.

Having said that I'm never folding to sb shove but I'm a busto degen.

Hand 2:

The game is called Hi-Lo. You are allowed to have family from Antrim or maybe Cork. You hopefully have family from Cavan/ Monaghan but under no circumstances may show up on the day wearing Westmeath colours. (They can get lucky sometimes but are usually -EV)

Comment

Originally posted by iSnOw4LoW View Post
                Hand 2:

The game is called Hi-Lo. You are allowed to have family from Antrim or maybe Cork. You hopefully have family from Cavan/ Monaghan but under no circumstances may show up on the day wearing Westmeath colours. (They can get lucky sometimes but are usually -EV)
                class! well put.

Comment

Originally posted by NuckChorris View Post
                  Player A is fairly loose but competent from what I've seen and Player B is v loose pre-flop but generally has the goods when shoving or calling rivers/turns.

Hand 1
                  Player B sb €80
                  Player C bb €200+
                  Hero utg €200 approx
                  Player B posts small blind €1
                  Player C posts big blind €2
                  Hero raises to €7 with AdAs5s6h
                  all fold to blinds who both call.
                  Flop: A28 no flush draw
                  SB checks
                  BB bets 15
                  Hero calls (questioning this and turn)
                  SB calls
                  Turn: 4x
                  SB shoves for €58
                  BB folds
                  Hero ?
                  Can't find player A anywhere. Does player A=SB and player B=BB?

I'd raise the flop with the intention of getting it all in. On the turn, it looks like 35xx got there. You're still 40% to win the high against 345x and 43% to win against 35xx. You've also a 7.5% chance of hitting a 3 to spilt.

You're calling €58 to get €91 back.

Hand 2 - I wouldn't limp, i wouldn't call a raise. If i'm in the big blind, i might even choose that time to go for a leak.

As played, i think i let this go on the flop. There should be a made low out there but you're going to hate a lot of turn cards v 2 players. Villain will probably tank the turn once it doesn't come an A or 2 and you'll really be put to the test. I hate only playing for half the pot when my hand is very vulnerable

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                    Can't find player A anywhere. Does player A=SB and player B=BB?
                    Sorry, Player A is only in the second hand - not a well constructed post.

Anyway, in both hands I flatted the flop and in hand 1 called the shove (naturally it was 35 but had so many outs I couldn't drop) and in hand 2 I shoved a semi-blank turn (it only brought another flush draw).

In hand 1, I flatted to make sure a 3,4 or 5 didn't hit but as it was the smaller stack the shoved and other folded I called anyway.

In hand 2 I was sure A2 with spades was out there so called to see no spade and shoved.

I suppose my main query is even with the nut high do you just drop these hands on draw-heavy flop when you are sure the low is out there in a 3-way pot?

Comment

Originally posted by NuckChorris View Post
                      I suppose my main query is even with the nut high do you just drop these hands on draw-heavy flop when you are sure the low is out there in a 3-way pot?
                      Like most things with poker there's no hard and fast rule. The spot you were in is right on the borderline imo. You're playing for 1/2 the pot so to make any profit at all from the hand you need to to continue to be 3 way AND have the high locked down. So on the flop you're getting 3/1 to with maybe 60% equity in 1/2 the pot so its about breakeven to call if that was the end of the hand. The key to staying out of these spots is to only play 2 way hands.

Comment

1. obv snapping

2. just fold
                        Looking for full or part time poker and betting writers. PM if interested.

Comment

Working...
                        X