Smoke em out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoke em out

Zuroph just mentioned in the BBV he met a lurker from here at an ATC apptitude test and that prompted someone to chide the lurkers out there to create accounts and it got some thanks.

So to encourage people to sign up can you make it that you can disable lurkers to be able to view pictures/videos unless they are signed in?.

Thanks very much, yeah, he was a nice guy, bit of a strange smell off him though.
    Last edited by Zuroph; 30-08-10, 21:16.
    http://mobro.co/zuroph
    donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
      Zuroph just mentioned in the BBV he met a lurker from here at an ATC apptitude test and that prompted someone to chide the lurkers out there to create accounts and it got some thanks.

So to encourage people to sign up can you make it that you can disable lurkers to be able to view pictures/videos unless they are signed in?.
      This certainly has its merits, and should be given consideration.

I also feel that we (as a community not just admins/mods) need to do more to get new posters actually posting and getting involved.

Comment

might hamper people reading from work though

Comment

sussssshhhh!

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post

I also feel that we (as a community not just admins/mods) need to do more to get new posters actually posting and getting involved.
            Start by not telling existing posters for fuck off then telling them 'hay man, I shoot from the hip' if the suggest it may not be the best way welcome people to post/contribute more. Not aimed at you BTW.

Comment

Originally posted by sickhabbit View Post
              Start by not telling existing posters for fuck off then telling them 'hay man, I shoot from the hip' if the suggest it may not be the best way welcome people to post/contribute more. Not aimed at you BTW.
              Confused am I.

Comment

Confused am I.
                Look here.
                Official Head Marshall of Waterford Gay Pride Festival 2015

Comment

Confused am I.
                  It's aimed at me and the Mr. Flibble iPhone app thread.

Sickhabbit, feel free to give out to me by PM or start a separate thread in here if you want to discuss it publicly, but IMO it'd be better not to get into it here or on that thread and take them off topic.

Thanks,

Ste

Comment

Get BCB to offer them a money back tourney if they sign up and then .

Well you know the rest

Comment

Dont mind that sickhabbit lad ste , sure he's only an old wannabe

Comment

I thought the thread question by Kev was how to get people who to post regularly to post more, my post was on topic. I would probably post more if I wasn't getting shit off the mods, true story.

Think somebody else said the same thing last week/2 weeks ago. It's just super aggressive and unnecessary. People would probably post more if it wasn't like that, but you guys like it like that, that's why people don't post and there are only about 15-20 reg posters on the site.

Comment

I thought the thread question by Kev was how to get people who to post regularly to post more, my post was on topic. I would probably post more if I wasn't getting shit off the mods, true story.

Think somebody else said the same thing last week/2 weeks ago. It's just super aggressive and unnecessary. People would probably post more if it wasn't like that, but you guys like it like that, that's why people don't post and there are only about 15-20 reg posters on the site.
                          Jebus man, let it go. You got a little tilted in a minor matter earlier on, we all do from time to time in fairness, but don't be making a mountain out of a molehill!
                          We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act, but a habit.

Comment

that's why people don't post and there are only about 15-20 reg posters on the site.
                            34 posters with > 1000 posts.
                            191 posters with > 100 posts.

Comment

It was actually about getting people who come along, register and rarely (if ever) post, to post more. My own feeling is that we need to keep in mind always the newer posters that arrive or risk the site becoming stale. In my mind a lot of this has to revolve around improving the poker sections of the site, making them more interesting and involving for new posters, so they will actually feel like they want to post. Now the thing is, I know that a lot of us on here probably cant be all that arsed with a lot of the poker stuff, but thats my feeling, also tbf I aslo recognise I could do with putting more actual 'doing' into my thoughts than just thinking, and I'm probably just rambling now.

As for the second part of your quoted post, I know you had a disagreement with Ste/Dom (or maybe just Ste) earlier, he's said to give him a shout to discuss, so I'm not getting into it here. But is there other times recently where you have been getting 'shit' from any of the 4 admins or any of the mods. If there is, please send me a PM about it. I dont remember seeing it, but considering I didnt realise what you were referring to earlier, I acknowledge I could have missed it

Comment

It's cool, I just got over myself... It seems I have anger issues anyway.

Comment

It seems I have anger issues anyway.
                                  You're in good company around here then!

Comment

Think somebody else said the same thing last week/2 weeks ago.
                                    His name was DBC...

Comment

It's cool, I just got over myself... It seems I have anger issues anyway.
                                      These kinds of comments are very much welcomed. We can't improve if we don't know/realise we're doing something wrong.

I would hope if anyone else, be they, lurkers/regs/newbies/whoever think we can improve in any aspect, or have problems with us or someone in particular, please let us hear about it. So we can fix it or try and explain our thinking.

Even just by PM if you don't want to post publicly.

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post

Makes sense imo and I was thinking of suggesting something similar recently. I wouldn't have a clue whether it would benefit the site or not so I didn't bother posting it. I guess some people just don't want to post and may be more private than others. However, it may make people more comfortable with posting since they would know that not all the info posted can be viewed by the entire net.

What about the recent prize giving games. For example: The lookalikey picture comp would be quite discouraging to a newbie who might not know what any IPBer may look like and therefore they are excluded before the game has even begun. I am not making an issue of these games as I had a great laugh reading the threads and thought it was very generous for members to have a chance to win these prizes.

Comment

Originally posted by Caf View Post
                                          What about the recent prize giving games. For example: The lookalikey picture comp would be quite discouraging to a newbie who might not know what any IPBer may look like and therefore they are excluded before the game has even begun. I am not making an issue of these games as I had a great laugh reading the threads and thought it was very generous for members to have a chance to win these prizes.
                                          The lookilkey wasn't actually a comp. It was just a thread started after a discussion in the BBV. Although your point is the same in relation to the Limerick comp.

The rest of the comps shouldn't exclude newbie's hopefully.

Comment

new members are looking for poker related info not bbv ramblings so it makes no sense to have a password protected section where the better discussions are probably held if you want to grow the site and not just have a old boys club. if most of the card rooms wont post regular schedules then it might be good if someone involved with the site put these schedules up to attract people to the site.

Comment

Originally posted by Caf View Post

I think the lookalike fun was more based on what people thought other posters looked like from their online personas caf.

I think the crux of getting lurkers to post is all about encouraging them to bite the bullet and log those first few posts. It's all a natural progression after that.

Comment

Originally posted by TheJoker View Post
                                                new members are looking for poker related info not bbv ramblings so it makes no sense to have a password protected section where the better discussions are probably held if you want to grow the site and not just have a old boys club. if most of the card rooms wont post regular schedules then it might be good if someone involved with the site put these schedules up to attract people to the site.
                                                To be honest, the "study group" was dead before it even got started. There's very little content in there.

And as far as I can tell, the main reason a lot of clubs don't post their schedules here is because they get held accountable here when they randomly change it at the last minute.
                                                Last edited by AndyFatBastard; 31-08-10, 07:01.
                                                "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFB View Post
                                                  To be honest, the "study group" was dead before it even got started. There's very little content in there.

And as far as I can tell, the main reason a lot of clubs don't post their schedules here is because they get held accountable here when they randomly change it at the last minute.
                                                  yeah agreed the study group is a bit of an embarrasment for bubbleking

and on your other point, if clubs are going to use this place for advertising their tournaments,structure and prize pools then it should be done in an honest way their is advertising laws and iam sure that they fall into that group. anyhow what would new posters think if they saw a 2 day 10k gaurantee tournament in some club with all the trimmings advertised in here and when they got there, "oh sorry that was a mistake i meant to change that it should have read 1k gauranteed and 20min blinds....oh yeah and we have a toilet out the back".
                                                  lets be honest if you are going to allow that kind of craic its a bad name for them and a bad name for this site for allowing this kind of behaviour.

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

How about threads for books, music, films? No links to youtube, but what people like / have bought / are reading.
                                                    And a computer section on what people have, hardware, software with questions and answers.

Comment

Originally posted by kincsem View Post
                                                      How about threads for books, music, films? No links to youtube, but what people like / have bought / are reading.
                                                      And a computer section on what people have, hardware, software with questions and answers.
                                                      At the end of the day, newbies come here because they think it's a poker forum. Then they realise that all we do is talk about everything that isn't poker, so they don't post.

For all that the additions of tech forums, games etc is good for the community as it stands, I think it is a bad structure for when it comes to bringing in 'new blood'.

Comment

It would do no harm to have a New Members forum so new members can stick up a thread and tell the site a little about themselves,they then feel all warm and good about themselves when loads of people post saying welcome.It works well on IK.

www.irishkop.com Twitter = @Irish_Kop Facebook = Irishkop.com

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                                          At the end of the day, newbies come here because they think it's a poker forum. Then they realise that all we do is talk about everything that isn't poker, so they don't post.

For all that the additions of tech forums, games etc is good for the community as it stands, I think it is a bad structure for when it comes to bringing in 'new blood'.
                                                          This!

I agree completely and it was the crux of my point earlier in the thread. Hopefully the league will attract plenty of new posters and some will stick around

Comment

Originally posted by Dub13 View Post
                                                            It would do no harm to have a New Members forum so new members can stick up a thread and tell the site a little about themselves,they then feel all warm and good about themselves when loads of people post saying welcome.It works well on IK.

yeah I spent ages trying to find a thread for this and was quite shocked not to see one. I thought i had just missed it and would stumble across it at some stage but now i see you don't have one.

Luckily I'm a member of plenty of forums so I've no bother posting my dribble onto here or anywhere

Comment

Working...
                                                            X