Advice on PC build vs Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on PC build vs Purchase

Hey tech heads, DeadParrot/MrsFlushdraw/D3kka/Zod anybody else I started a thread over in the old place HERE if some of you wouldn't mind having a gander and letting me know what you's think here would be greatly appreciated.
    "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Ask Hank, he just recently built one

Comment

I know this isn't what you asked and I feel like a biit of a scumbag for bringing it up, but I'm getting rid of a 21.5" imac (got a win 7 machine to play games). Not 100% sure of the specs but will confirm if intersted. Think its a core 2 duo @ 3.2Mhz, 4gb ram, 512mb graphics card, 500gb hd. €550, won't bore you any more, pm if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Zosma View Post
        I know this isn't what you asked and I feel like a biit of a scumbag for bringing it up, but I'm getting rid of a 21.5" imac (got a win 7 machine to play games). Not 100% sure of the specs but will confirm if intersted. Think its a core 2 duo @ 3.2Mhz, 4gb ram, 512mb graphics card, 500gb hd. €550, won't bore you any more, pm if you want.
        It's all good man don't worry about it, nearly did buy a 27" iMac the other day just don't have any room for it that's why I'm going with a standalone desktop.

Fingers crossed somebody else buys it, wouldn't be a bad idea posting that in the BBV and then having a link in your sig for it.

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
          It's all good man don't worry about it, nearly did buy a 27" iMac the other day just don't have any room for it that's why I'm going with a standalone desktop.

Fingers crossed somebody else buys it, wouldn't be a bad idea posting that in the BBV and then having a link in your sig for it.
          No probs, been meaning to put it on adverts/ebay but know some prick will "find" a small fault and do a charge back on paypal and it'll be a nightmare getting it sorted. Will probably end up just giving it to my mother. That forum on boards is great, they really know their stuff and super helpful. Gl with it.

Comment

Build he put up looks good, never heard of the psu before, maybe look for some reviews before pulling the trigger. I went with a Corsair psu who have a good rep.

That's the Ssd I'd go with if building a system now.

Maybe get a 2tb WD green instead of the Caviar Blue if you plan to keep lots of HD stuff on it.

You could go with a blu ray drive instead of DVD if you'll have any use for it as they are dirt cheap these days.

I can give you a legit windows 7 64bit product key If you need one so definitely don't go dropping 80 quid on that.
            Originally posted by ArmaniJeans
            I like this heat - some proper music innit.
            None of the 'black disabled lesbian warbling backwards' stuff that the other players inflicted on me.

Comment

I dnt think u can go to wrong with adverts tbh I was debating the same thing myself, now I do a small bit of gaming but I picked up the following for 600
              i7 920 CPU, 460 gtx gpu, 500gb HDD (will buy an SSD), case is a mini tower wit transparent panel wit blue led lights, sick mobo capable of triple sli prob 250e brand new 8gb ddr3 ram only 1333mhz but still fine and windows 7 ultimate really well built from a respected seller
              I think u should wait and buy something nice prebuilt u will get a good deal, btw I wanted an iMac just the age old problem of some smaller sites and Holdem manager(windows version) not working!! IMac is great like apple in general but u pay through the nose go with it anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Starvin Marvin View Post
                Build he put up looks good, never heard of the psu before, maybe look for some reviews before pulling the trigger. I went with a Corsair psu who have a good rep.

That's the Ssd I'd go with if building a system now.

Maybe get a 2tb WD green instead of the Caviar Blue if you plan to keep lots of HD stuff on it.

You could go with a blu ray drive instead of DVD if you'll have any use for it as they are dirt cheap these days.

I can give you a legit windows 7 64bit product key If you need one so definitely don't go dropping 80 quid on that.
                I plan on using the SSD for the OS/programs and then have a 1tb hard drive also installed for backup/storage of tv shows & movies etc.

No need for a bluray drive as I have a standalone bluray connected to my tv. As for the product key that would be absolutely sweet, save a few €€€ and upgrade something else. How do you have free keys?

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
                I dnt think u can go to wrong with adverts tbh I was debating the same thing myself, now I do a small bit of gaming but I picked up the following for 600
                i7 920 CPU, 460 gtx gpu, 500gb HDD (will buy an SSD), case is a mini tower wit transparent panel wit blue led lights, sick mobo capable of triple sli prob 250e brand new 8gb ddr3 ram only 1333mhz but still fine and windows 7 ultimate really well built from a respected seller
                I think u should wait and buy something nice prebuilt u will get a good deal, btw I wanted an iMac just the age old problem of some smaller sites and Holdem manager(windows version) not working!! IMac is great like apple in general but u pay through the nose go with it anyway
                Was thinking of starting over fresh with something absolutely brand new, building your own system has a sense of achievement.

Comment

Yeah pretty sweet build, and if you get sorted with a CD key then you can ramp up your RAM. Also never heard of that PSU and like Marvin im running a Corsair one myself.

Payment Options Link - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2056548358

Once you make intial order you get email detailing their bank details, which you then can setup on your online banking or maybe first time goto bank with email and get them to help you fill out forms just incase.

But read that link cause it gives you info how to fill out some parts and also about ZPC, the option to pay an extra E20 for them to build system for you.

Comment

Originally posted by D3kka View Post
                    Yeah pretty sweet build, and if you get sorted with a CD key then you can ramp up your RAM. Also never heard of that PSU and like Marvin im running a Corsair one myself.

Payment Options Link - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2056548358

Once you make intial order you get email detailing their bank details, which you then can setup on your online banking or maybe first time goto bank with email and get them to help you fill out forms just incase.

But read that link cause it gives you info how to fill out some parts and also about ZPC, the option to pay an extra E20 for them to build system for you.
                    Cheers for the heads up, at the moment it's coming to around €575 that's with dropping the OS/500gb HD/i3/case/SSD/ram and going with a bigger SSD/i5/sleeker case/16gb ram also that option to pay €20 and have it come preassembled is very very tempting.

Pretty much delighted with it all as I was expecting it to be a lot more expensive

Comment

great build for what you're looking for, I'd go with an Asus motherboard rather than an ASrock, but it's much of a muchness.
                      Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                        great build for what you're looking for, I'd go with an Asus motherboard rather than an ASrock, but it's much of a muchness.
                        Cool beans man cheers, was just looking for a few extra opinions from people in the know.

Comment

Pretty solid set up danny.
                          I'd probably go with slightly more storage knowing your affinity for HD content but otherwise all good.
                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                            Pretty solid set up danny.
                            I'd probably go with slightly more storage knowing your affinity for HD content but otherwise all good.
                            Will get a 1tb hard drive to go in the machine also and then I'm hopefully going to buy a NAS, my friend can get hard drives from his job so going to see can he get me a couple more, just like the freedom of being able to access the NAS from anywhere, also getting to know what photos to cut and delete will save me a ton of space sometimes coming back from a festival I can have 15gbs+ worth of photos cut that by more that half and I will be happy.

Comment

Been a while since I built mine.. Well sort of built it.. I got everything from www.hardwareversand.de and then discovered they also build it for an extra 20 quid... so I let them off. At the time these thing were much more expensive and I paid about 1k for all the bits.. It's prob in need of an upgrade but it does everything I ask of it.. quickly and reliably
                              Last edited by Macspower; 12-06-12, 23:19.
                              Spray Foam Insulation

Comment

Finally got this ordered came to a total of €587, looking forward to it arriving and getting a chance to get it all up and running

Comment

Finally got this ordered came to a total of €587, looking forward to it arriving and getting a chance to get it all up and running
                                  build so much better than buy. i've been building for years and just update part of the build every couple of years. the only thing i've kept constant in 8 years now is the box, the fans, the PSU, and my monitor(which defintely needs an upgrade, but is still good enough).

just checking but did you buy arctic silver paste to mount your chip? (nothing worse than having to wait a few more days before you can actually build the system, because of it).

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                    build so much better than buy. i've been building for years and just update part of the build every couple of years. the only thing i've kept constant in 8 years now is the box, the fans, the PSU, and my monitor(which defintely needs an upgrade, but is still good enough).

just checking but did you buy arctic silver paste to mount your chip? (nothing worse than having to wait a few more days before you can actually build the system, because of it).
                                    Never even thought about the paste will pick up some in town when I'm in there during the week.

Looking forward to the build will feel like I accomplished something, would of went with the pay it to build it but didn't see the option As for my monitor going to be using my 32" tv but its only HD ready could always do with upgrading the tv I suppose but it's not essential at the moment.

Comment

It arrived earlier and I've being getting it built since, finally got there and it's powering up but I can't get a picture on my monitor, tried VGA/DVI & nothing any ideas folks?

Also I fucking hate jumper settings poxy little things

Comment

is there an onboard graphics card on the motherboard?
                                        Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                        https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Have a look through this maybe.

Similar happened to me and I had the power cables wrong or something silly like that.

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans
                                          I like this heat - some proper music innit.
                                          None of the 'black disabled lesbian warbling backwards' stuff that the other players inflicted on me.

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post
                                            is there an onboard graphics card on the motherboard?
                                            I was lead to believe it does as I was told I don't need a graphics card.

100% All Solid Capacitor Design; Supports Dual Channel DDR3 1600; 1 PCIe 3.0 x16, Supports AMD Quad CrossFireX™ and CrossFireX™; PCIE Gigabit LAN; Supports Intel HD Graphics with Built-in Visuals; Graphics Output Options : D-Sub, DVI-D, HDMI; Combo Cooler Option (C.C.O.); 5.1 CH HD Audio (Realtek ALC662 Audio Codec); Supports ASRock XFast RAM, XFast LAN, XFast USB, OMG, Internet Flash, Dehumidifier, UEFI System Browser; Supports Intel Smart Connect, Intel Rapid Start, Intel Small Business Advantage; Free Bundle : CyberLink MediaEspresso 6.5 Trial, ASRock MAGIX Multimedia Suite Trial

Comment

Posted in the other place, removed one of the ram sticks and voila up popped the scree.

Comment

Have you tested the ram in different slots and configurations?

Hardly a faulty module or slot on the board out of the box, that would suck. Just realised I forgot to get back to you the thermal paste, sorry dude completely forgot. Good to hear you got it together ok.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                                                  Have you tested the ram in different slots and configurations?

Hardly a faulty module or slot on the board out of the box, that would suck. Just realised I forgot to get back to you the thermal paste, sorry dude completely forgot. Good to hear you got it together ok.
                                                  There was thermal paste on the heatsink so I didn't need to buy it but as you say it will come in handy.

System is up and running at the moment

Comment

We'll have to get a game of Battlefield 3 going when you get a decent graphics card.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                                                      We'll have to get a game of Battlefield 3 going when you get a decent graphics card.
                                                      Never, xbox is the only gaming I do.

I'm short on sata cables will have to pick up a couple.

Comment

Still haven't been able to install the other 8gb ram stick it keeps going into a loop when I do so, I know Windows 7 can support it and the version I have can support it, kinda bugging me.

Comment

Still haven't been able to install the other 8gb ram stick it keeps going into a loop when I do so, I know Windows 7 can support it and the version I have can support it, kinda bugging me.
                                                          You need to try what coillcam mentioned. Try the 2nd stick in the same slot as the current working stick and see if it works. Lets us know if both sticks are working.

Then try one stick in the current unused slot. Lets us know the slot is working.

Comment

You need to try what coillcam mentioned. Try the 2nd stick in the same slot as the current working stick and see if it works. Lets us know if both sticks are working.

Then try one stick in the current unused slot. Lets us know the slot is working.
                                                            I did that earlier swapped both sticks into each slot and they worked on their own, thought it might be some update thing so have updated my computer totally and tried both sticks again and same result stuck in the loop.

Comment

Check for BIOS update for.motherboard
                                                              The CD that came with it might have a utility to do it

Comment

Check for BIOS update for.motherboard
                                                                The CD that came with it might have a utility to do it
                                                                I've tried to update it twice but keep getting an error saying no internet connection.

This was happening even before I installed the OS if that makes any difference.

Comment

You might find that while a certain brand of RAM is certified to work with a motherboard, it might not necessarily worth with 16 GB without a BIOS update. If you are connected to the internet and the update app is still not co-operating, you should be able to DL the bios file from support section of website and install it from hard drive. FWIW i seriously doubt that 16 GB will see much improvement over 8 GB, the only computers i have seen that actually need that amount of RAM are business servers. Certainly wont do any harm though

Comment

You might find that while a certain brand of RAM is certified to work with a motherboard, it might not necessarily worth with 16 GB without a BIOS update. If you are connected to the internet and the update app is still not co-operating, you should be able to DL the bios file from support section of website and install it from hard drive. FWIW i seriously doubt that 16 GB will see much improvement over 8 GB, the only computers i have seen that actually need that amount of RAM are business servers. Certainly wont do any harm though
                                                                    It certainly won't be the end of the world if I can't get the 16 up & running it wasn't super expensive when I dropped a few other bits from the build I thought I would go with that. but I just want all the power

The new system is running super smooth, I installed my 1tb hd from my old machine in this and it's even working perfect use to take a couple seconds for the old system to recognise it but this picks it up straight away.

I also have the exact same SSD in my desktop as I do in my Macbook, desktop one was only showing up as 111gb while the Mac one was showing up as 120gb, that was even before the format for the OS. Just little things that bug me

Comment

Looks to be a faulty ram stick, tried to boot it up there in both slots and no joy swapped it out with the other one and it boots fine.

Looks like I will have to get a replacement.

Comment

Looks to be a faulty ram stick, tried to boot it up there in both slots and no joy swapped it out with the other one and it boots fine.

Looks like I will have to get a replacement.
                                                                        Did you try running memtest 86 on the stick? It is good though you have answers.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                          Did you try running memtest 86 on the stick? It is good though you have answers.
                                                                          Tried it on the stick that is working on Saturday and it returned a 100% pass rate, went to install the other stick today and I can't even get to the boot menu as it continually gets stuck in loop of switching on/off.

I will email the place where I got it and hopefully they will send me a new stick.

Comment

Seems standard enough.
                                                                            Head wrecking though as you just want everything to be perfect at this stage
                                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                              Seems standard enough.
                                                                              Head wrecking though as you just want everything to be perfect at this stage
                                                                              Is it not unusual though to not be working form the get go? Straight from the box and into the slot and it didn't work, do you reckon I will have any hassle getting it exchanged?

Comment

#40
                                                                                "For questions regarding returns, claims, missing articles or lost consignments please contact us by indicating your order number as follows: reklamation@hardwareversand.de"

My 3month old motherboard kicked the bucket there lately, both RAM slots dead. Spent a while trying diff methods but sent it back to ASRock - 8 weeks wait so endedup buying a new one

Comment

#41
                                                                                  Is it not unusual though to not be working form the get go? Straight from the box and into the slot and it didn't work, do you reckon I will have any hassle getting it exchanged?
                                                                                  When we built the machines in the lab there was a processor that wasn't working. It is just one of those things. How it slipped through the QC testing is anyones game. Just don't take crap about it. I am sure you will be fine.

Comment

#42
                                                                                    "For questions regarding returns, claims, missing articles or lost consignments please contact us by indicating your order number as follows: reklamation@hardwareversand.de"

My 3month old motherboard kicked the bucket there lately, both RAM slots dead. Spent a while trying diff methods but sent it back to ASRock - 8 weeks wait so endedup buying a new one
                                                                                    Will send them an email now cheers for the info.

When we built the machines in the lab there was a processor that wasn't working. It is just one of those things. How it slipped through the QC testing is anyones game. Just don't take crap about it. I am sure you will be fine.
                                                                                    I remember in college we got a lot of stuff from Jaguar Computers when building our machines and there was a bunch of stuff not working, they must of been pissed with all the stuff going back.

Comment

#43
                                                                                      Update on this for those of you interested, I have eventually heard back from the place where I bought it they want me to ship back the ram both sticks, I have asked how long is this going to take and they reckon about two weeks between me shipping it back and them getting me a new replacement which means I would be without the desktop for that time, pox.

Comment

#44
                                                                                        Update on this for those of you interested, I have eventually heard back from the place where I bought it they want me to ship back the ram both sticks, I have asked how long is this going to take and they reckon about two weeks between me shipping it back and them getting me a new replacement which means I would be without the desktop for that time, pox.
                                                                                        Thats a balls they want both sticks back. Lucky you have your MacBook to keep you going as you would have been even more pissed off. Why do they want both sticks?

Comment

#45
                                                                                          Thats a balls they want both sticks back. Lucky you have your MacBook to keep you going as you would have been even more pissed off. Why do they want both sticks?
                                                                                          They just said they need to send them back to the manufacturer, all my tv/movies are on my hard drive in the desktop which I won't have access to if I send them back, not the worst thing I suppose & it would be nice to get them sent back and have it all sorted.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          X